Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it just me?

ToxiliumToxilium Member UncommonPosts: 905

Or do other people find this game extremely dull too? Is there something I was doing wrong that made the game boring?

I played the trial for a few days and enjoyed the first few levels (like every other MMO). I gave it a chance and subscribed ($20 price-tag was one of the pull-factors). I played about another week and found myself becoming increasingly bored. I made it to about lvl25, and all I found I was doing were same repetetive fetch or kill x amount quests. I finally deciced I didn't want to spend the $15 a month (I had almost run out of 30day free time) and quit.

Well most MMOs can hold me for at least more then 2 months or so, but LotRO has to be the shortest run I've ever had. Was there anything I could have done better to maximize my fun?

From what I was doing, i could have more fun with a paperclip.

Comments

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

Originally posted by D3mis3

Or do other people find this game extremely dull too? Is there something I was doing wrong that made the game boring?
    I played the trial for a few days and enjoyed the first few levels (like every other MMO). I gave it a chance and subscribed ($20 price-tag was one of the pull-factors). I played about another week and found myself becoming increasingly bored. I made it to about lvl25, and all I found I was doing were same repetetive fetch or kill x amount quests. I finally deciced I didn't want to spend the $15 a month (I had almost run out of 30day free time) and quit.
    Well most MMOs can hold me for at least more then 2 months or so, but LotRO has to be the shortest run I've ever had. Was there anything I could have done better to maximize my fun?

Yea im going to have to agree, i dont know what it was either, even EvE a game that I used to hate, I ended up playing for a good solid 4 months before I quit, and i was quite regular.

I bought lortro and a 3 month sub, played for about 2 weeks on and off and quit. I loved the RPing, that I did with people and alot of other features like music and housing, its just for some reason It just couldnt keep it for me. I needed something else to make me keep coming back and it just wasnt there.

-Jive

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851

I never found it dull till I ran outta things to do at lvl cap which was about 6weeks. The game grabbed me and kept me interested into the story, even though its kill x, get y type quests if you read into lore, specially once you get in the instances it's quite enjoyable, also the Book Quests are by far the most enjoyable part of the game. If you mix those in with the regular grind quests you can make it fun and enjoyable all the way through.

Give a fair chance and try more of the Book Quests if you can before you give up on it. It may turn you around to keep going so you can finish the book and get the whole story behind it. That's how I got pulled in and I'm sure many others the same way.

[[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • ToxiliumToxilium Member UncommonPosts: 905

Originally posted by HashBrick

I never found it dull till I ran outta things to do at lvl cap which was about 6weeks. The game grabbed me and kept me interested into the story, even though its kill x, get y type quests if you read into lore, specially once you get in the instances it's quite enjoyable, also the Book Quests are by far the most enjoyable part of the game. If you mix those in with the regular grind quests you can make it fun and enjoyable all the way through.

Give a fair chance and try more of the Book Quests if you can before you give up on it. It may turn you around to keep going so you can finish the book and get the whole story behind it. That's how I got pulled in and I'm sure many others the same way.

If I wanted story, I'd watch a movie or read a book.

Well then uninstall and throw it away, because that is the whole point of LOTRO.

[[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.

Well then uninstall and throw it away, because that is the whole point of LOTRO.

Already did

I don't feel like scrolling through text when I could be doing something useful. Hell, I'll gladly return to the game if there was more to "Those dang wolves killed me chickens! Go kill 6 generic 'dire wolves' and I'll give you 50 XP"

Now I know most MMOs are like that, but LotRO is the pinncle of run-of-the-mill MMOs I've played imo. Like I said, is there anything unique about this game that can capture an action-loving PvPer? The monster mode kinda sucked and I didn't feel like grinding for days to get my orc-looking-thing a sword.

Already did image
    I don't feel like scrolling through text when I could be doing something useful. Hell, I'll gladly return to the game if there was more to "Those dang wolves killed me chickens! Go kill 6 generic 'dire wolves' and I'll give you 50 XP"

Yes the beginning quests blow that's why I said to mix the main story with them, they do get better later, but it's defiantly not your cup of tea. I hope you find what you are looking for, good luck out there.

Edit: If you didn't like monster play that's it, anything else you have to look forward to is pvp as your lvl 50char once it gets there against those monster players, chicken play, raids and dungeons. The uniqueness of the game is the monster play and the quality of the lore that you get involved but other that it is a run-of-mill MMO.

Already did

Yes the beginning quests blow that's why I said to mix the main story with them, they do get better later, but it's defiantly not your cup of tea. I hope you find what you are looking for, good luck out there.

Edit: If you didn't like monster play that's it, anything else you have to look forward to is pvp as your lvl 50char once it gets there against those monster players, chicken play, raids and dungeons. The uniqueness of the game is the monster play and the quality of the lore that you get involved but other that it is a run-of-mill MMO.

I will give props to LotRO graphics. Simply amazing on maximum. Weather affects were breath-taking, especially in winter areas. Anyways, back to Age of Conan's beta.

Already did image

I will give props to LotRO graphics. Simply amazing on maximum. Weather affects were breath-taking, especially in winter areas. Anyways, back to Age of Conan's beta.

Yep for sure if it's anything I will remember about LOTRO it'll be the gorgeous graphics and the well written lore.

• DragonOakDragonOak Member Posts: 322

Now I know most MMOs are like that, but LotRO is the pinncle of run-of-the-mill MMOs I've played imo. Like I said, is there anything unique about this game that can capture an action-loving PvPer? The monster mode kinda sucked and I didn't feel like grinding for days to get my orc-looking-thing a sword.

Of course your complaints are the downfall of nearly every MMO out there.  While I hope you find what you are looking for in AoC, I should mark this thread and compare it 6 months down the road.  Meaning that your complaints about quests, PvP, and run of the mill MMO's really means you are not happy with MMO's in general, and I highly doubt any game is going to give you what you are looking for.  But here's to hoping I am wrong!

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Maybe it's just not the game for you?

There doesn't have to be something wrong with you, or the product, in order for you to not like it. Hence the saying "Nothing is for everyone".

I mean.. if you don't like Pizza (yes, I know.. who doesn't like pizza.  Just bear with me)..

Does that mean there's something *wrong* with pizza? Of course not. You just don't like it.

In a more relevant way... I've tried I don't know how many MMOs now.. over 20 at least.. Most of them I didn't like. Does that mean there's something wrong with them? Not at all. Just weren't for me.

Even WoW - with its millions of players - doesn't make a fan of everyone who tries it.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

If you do not want story you should go back to WOW. Do you want a story or as you put it"do the same fetch or kill X quests. You are sounding more and more like a troll. Honestly you should go back to kiddie WOW. Sounds like you have MMO ADD.

• EpikaEpika Member Posts: 16

Sounds like you've played a good amount of games.  Most MMOs are fairly similar now, so you might just be hitting the point where everything feels like "been there, done that". LOTRO is all about be immersed in a storyline ingame. If that's not your cup of tea there probably are better games. There are a ton of really good and fun quests.

Aside from that, getting in a kin and doing some grouping makes for a lot of fun times. If I just keep to myself while playing a new game it often feels boring.  Not sure if you tried meeting other people, but just tossing that out there.

Good luck finding a game out there for you.

• keltic1701keltic1701 Member Posts: 1,162

The the answer is....Yes! It is just you!

• SiyahSiyah Member Posts: 131

Well i too found the game boring when i was in BETA. i Came back about 2 weeks ago now, and interestingly enough find it a lot more entertaining. it's not the content that has changed from my time in BETA, it's the way i play the game... which I think is LoTRO's big point but also its drawback.

Allow me to elaborate...

If you play LoTRO and pick up quests after quests after quests, you end up with 30 quests in your log book and this is when the game REALLY gets "repetitive". Besides graphix many would argue it's the same old stuff, run around to pick up quests, run around to achieve them, run back to level and move to the next one.

However...

Pick up quests and keep only 5-6 around your level (-2 to your level) and the book quest. Pick a profession and run around gathering, killing mob on your way to exploring ruins and distant landscapes that look pretty. Pick the first quest in your log book (out of the 5-6 mentioned) and push yourself to get it done, again exploring and gathering. Then run back to town, and go craft till you have used all the resources you gathered, visit AH and sell some stuff. Do the book quest, and finish the other 4-5 you have in your book, picking up their follow ups until they're fully completed.

Playing the above has made the game much much more entertaining. I think LoTRO looks pretty because a key objective of the game is to explore middle-earth. If you focus on questing you'll get bored quickly, that happened to me.

So to summarize...LoTRO will bore you if you come from an existing heavily quest-based MMO. But if you take your time exploring, if you focus only on 5-6 quests + the book quest, and spend a little time crafting (which is simple yet effective and entertaining enough) then the combination does have enough "meat" to keep you going.

My only 2 grips remaining are: lack of variety of classes and somewhat "slow" combat (feels like lag all the time).

Having fun though.

• CalibanvovCalibanvov Member UncommonPosts: 192

I agree with the OP.  I just lost interest rather quickly,  and i had a positive attitude going in.  The classes seem very uninteresting and just doesnt seem immersive.

In some ways the graphics are pretty good, but in other ways, like the character models, dont seem so hot. The good "feel" of the game, just isnt there.

• Jaxom92Jaxom92 Member Posts: 267

The spirit of the IP is in the story, and by keeping the spirit of the IP in LOTRO, we're dealing with a lot of story. Every quest line is it's own story. Some are more compelling than others, but even if they have the typical kill or fetch quests, it's the story that's the reason behind them, not the actual task. So, those that said this game isn't for you because you're not looking for a story are exactly right. I'd say half the complaints about LOTRO (the other half being an irksome game mechanic or technical issue) are when people aren't looking for a story and don't bother reading the quest text.

Check out my LOTRO Blog: www.middleearthadventurer.blogspot.com

• GrindalyxGrindalyx Member UncommonPosts: 657

Already did

The is there anything unique aobut this game that can capture an action-loving PvPer says it all. This game is not for you and will be boring for you cause it doesn't have the action packed PvP you crave. If it had FFA PvP and you could run around killing anyone you want it wouldn't be boring to you. You wouldn't care about how boring the PvE is in the game cause it would be a meens to an end. That would be getting to max lvl so you can own everyone in PvP.

Does that about cover what your looking for?

imageimage

• EstrusEstrus Member Posts: 357

What you don't like killing boars?

• Alan0nAlan0n Member Posts: 576

Nope - ur defently not the only one

It would be intresting to know how many of those that actually try the game deside to buy it.  And stay with it longer than few weeks.  Not like the devs will tell us.

There are quite a few reasons why Im not intrested.  Most of it are basics that I expect all MMOs to be able to provide.  LOTRO just can't.

Why do ppl find it boring ?   Not enough rewards ? Crappy UI that is very bad for long term playing enjoyment ?  Poor animations ?  Poor and all the same looking mounts (what about reins and saddles ?  Don't know what part of the lore is to ride around on crappy looking mounts).  Need I go on ?

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Originally posted by Alan0n

It would be intresting to know how many of those that actually try the game deside to buy it.  And stay with it longer than few weeks.  Not like the devs will tell us.

Considering the increasing number of people I'm seeing on, all the time, in all the areas... and that  they're expanding into new markets... I'm sure the game is doing fine without you or any others who found it wasn't for them.

There are quite a few reasons why Im not intrested.  Most of it are basics that I expect all MMOs to be able to provide.  LOTRO just can't.

You mean LoTRO "doesn't" provide what you're looking for in a MMO. That's okay. I'm sure Turbine realize they're not going to please everyone. No game does.

Why do ppl find it boring?  Well, maybe you should stick to why *you* find it boring and not try to speak for others :). 
    Not enough rewards ? Opinion.  I think there's plenty of rewards.
    Crappy UI that is very bad for long term playing enjoyment? Opinion. The interface works and does what it was designed to do just fine.

Poor animations? Opinion.  The animations are appropriate for the style of the game.
    Poor and all the same looking mounts (what about reins and saddles? There are several variations on horses... other than that, all horses do look pretty similar. What did you expect? Also, bare-back riding isn't exactly an unrealistic thing... people do it in real life. That said, there are some mounts that come with saddles and reigns if it means that much to you.

Don't know what part of the lore is to ride around on crappy looking mounts.  Now that's just a ridiculous assertion. You're trying to force your opinion as though it's relevant to the lore. All the free peoples traveled around via horse or pony in Middle Earth and so having horses is totally accurate to the lore.  That you personally think the horses look crappy has no bearing on that.
    Need I go on ? Nope.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco Member Posts: 1,757

Originally posted by Alan0n

Why do ppl find it boring ?   Not enough rewards ? Crappy UI that is very bad for long term playing enjoyment ?  Poor animations ?  Poor and all the same looking mounts (what about reins and saddles ?  Don't know what part of the lore is to ride around on crappy looking mounts).  Need I go on ?

No need to. Through your earlier posts, you have already established yourself extremely well as a lotro-hater and troll.

DB

Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.

Hey hey hey there people. Stop the fighting. I give props to LotRO's lore and awesome graphics (seriously, some best effects in a game I've seen behind Crysis) but from what I've read this game isn't for me.

• DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco Member Posts: 1,757

Hey hey hey there people. Stop the fighting. I give props to LotRO's lore and awesome graphics (seriously, some best effects in a game I've seen behind Crysis) but from what I've read this game isn't for me.

No fighting, and there is nothing '"wrong" or "bad" in what you wrote. That is your opinion. You don't like the game all in all - that's really fine. (though the paperclip metaphor was unfair, I think you agree with that, don't you?)

We just happen not to like "recurring", obsessed trolls here (not you!) :) I don't think that's surprising either - who does? :)

DB

Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.

• eccotoneccoton Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Originally posted by jiveturkey12

Yea im going to have to agree, i dont know what it was either, even EvE a game that I used to hate, I ended up playing for a good solid 4 months before I quit, and i was quite regular.

I bought lortro and a 3 month sub, played for about 2 weeks on and off and quit. I loved the RPing, that I did with people and alot of other features like music and housing, its just for some reason It just couldnt keep it for me. I needed something else to make me keep coming back and it just wasnt there.

-Jive

Yea for me to. I gave it months and wanted to really love it. However I left as well. Many things are really great about LOTRO. I love the lore since I love the books and the movies. Only thing that may have caused this feeling in a lot of players, that I can think of, is lack of sandbox. Since all the action in the game takes place in Middle Earth you are limited to the types of things you fight and the over all look of the world. This eventually gets a bit stale. You never feel like you really live in Middle Earth. I think that is what so many were looking for a more sandbox experience to actually live in Middle Earth. Even though there is housing I never really felt I was part of the saga. Even with the book quests, lore, housing, and more the game just felt flat after awhile. Like other have said it is hard to put your finger on.

• A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842
    It's the lack of decent PvP that made me quit LOTRO pretty early. Even though if I'm not even a great fan on PvPing...

How cool would it have been, if you bump into a orc player while questing on swamps. But nothing like that ever happened, only mindless npcs.

Even if I were in the middle earth, I always felt "safe". And eventually that got boring really quick.