Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NDA ?

RykerRyker Member UncommonPosts: 207

Its 3 weeks til release, dont companies usually drop it by now. Im ready to read more :)

Comments

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

It should be yes but i can only think of reasons it isn t , but i won t go into those.

• ZarinhZarinh Member UncommonPosts: 109

Not all companies drop the NDA.  Some do, some don't.  It doesn't mean the game is bad, or good.  It just means they want any testing that has been done to stay under a NDA.

• skepticalskeptical Member Posts: 357

I have never seen an MMO keep the NDA up with just a couple of weeks until release. It is very unusual to say the least. I'm not one of those people that thinks its a sign of certain doom, but I can't say it inspires confidence either. The very limited "open beta" where you can only get to lvl 13 is strange too.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Ya have to agree it s very odd.

Maybe I just trust Funcom not to make the same mistake that they did with AO.  I am glad they have a limit on the open beta, they have general and tech for the other parts, this is more of a stress-test for their servers, they want as many people as they can get into just a few parts of the game.

• unconformedunconformed Member Posts: 700

if the only restriction on open beta is lvl. 13, that seems normal to me.

to conciously not choose to drop the NDA is suspicious. if it is a conscious decision. it can be a hectic oversight on the other hand.

anyway, someone should drop some info and opinions and see if its just an oversight.

chips, dips chains & whips.

• socosoco Member Posts: 56

Originally posted by skeptical

I have never seen an MMO keep the NDA up with just a couple of weeks until release. It is very unusual to say the least. I'm not one of those people that thinks its a sign of certain doom, but I can't say it inspires confidence either. The very limited "open beta" where you can only get to lvl 13 is strange too.

Your user name is skeptical.. haha..

Anyways, what does it matter if the NDA is on or not?  If you don't think the game is very good or has potential why don't you flip through all the youtube videos of the game and make a decision for yourself. 

You don't have to play something before it comes out to see that the game can be good.  You see movie previews and you go and see movies don't you? 

Have you ever gone to a movie that other people have said was shit and did it just because you wanted to see the movie? 

Principle is the same...

-----------------------------
    The IQ and life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.

I do think I know the reason.  From information that has been given, the general and tech beta both run on an older client.  [I don't even think they are using Cheetah 2 yet].  So opening that NDA would not sure what we will see at retail.

• SiyahSiyah Member Posts: 131

Look at it from a business perspective... all MMOs in the last X years have had their launch "spoiled" wheather it was justified or not. I think it's smart to keep the NDA in order until launch, doubt is better than a bunch of nay sayers...

From our perspective, the gamers, it;s frustrating especially as the hype builds up, but let's not forget FunCom is running a business, they'll focus on that in every aspect of what they do pre and post launch.

My 2 cents.

• KcissemKcissem Member Posts: 276

why is the lvl 13 cap strange? it's not the first mmo to do it, in fact it is one of quite a few that has had a lvl cap during open beta. 

• KcissemKcissem Member Posts: 276
    Originally posted by unconformed

if the only restriction on open beta is lvl. 13, that seems normal to me.
    to conciously not choose to drop the NDA is suspicious. if it is a conscious decision. it can be a hectic oversight on the other hand.
    anyway, someone should drop some info and opinions and see if its just an oversight.

they have said that the NDA will be released shortly after open beta starts.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

This is not true.  I can name many games that kept their NDA's enforced until release day.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156
    Originally posted by sinjin

This is not true.  I can name many games that kept their NDA's enforced until release day.

go ahead....name em...the ONLY one i know is Anarchy Online....and who made that game? hmmmmm?

• fansedefansede Member UncommonPosts: 960

As other posters have said, Lifting the NDA is always risky for the company. You may get fantastic reviews, and if this is the case, people who were on the fence may buy the game. You get a slew of criticisms and people won't buy it or try it at launch date.

• skepticalskeptical Member Posts: 357
    Originally posted by soco

Your user name is skeptical.. haha..

Anyways, what does it matter if the NDA is on or not?  If you don't think the game is very good or has potential why don't you flip through all the youtube videos of the game and make a decision for yourself. 
    You don't have to play something before it comes out to see that the game can be good.  You see movie previews and you go and see movies don't you? 
    Have you ever gone to a movie that other people have said was shit and did it just because you wanted to see the movie? 
    Principle is the same...

I already played the game and I won't buy a game before I do since that is the only way to know how it runs and how it plays. I can't tell anything from some youtube video from a year ago. I only spend 2hrs in a movie so if it sucks, no big loss. I don't like wasting my time on a game to find out the game is poorly made or doesn't suit my playstyle so I generally try to do some research first. That's hard to do when they don't lift the NDA or relase much information.