Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth a return?

Wolfpack75Wolfpack75 Member UncommonPosts: 43

I joined LOTRO shortly after launch and enjoyed it for several months until the following three things bogged me down:

1) The Gold Spammers, I was receiving 2-3 messages a day (about 4-6 hours of gaming). I finally had enough of the dev's seeming inability to stop it and left.

2) I had no luck finding fellowships, I was level 36 and had never completed any of the chapters and found it difficult finding people to adventure with.

3) The reputation system which was inserted into the game with such little reward and such blatant grinding turned me off. Unfortunately because I couldn't find groups to run with I often found myself doing the rep quests because I had a hard time completing any other quests.

So my question would be: Have they dealt with the gold spammers, has the population on the various servers grown, and have they added more 35th+ level solo quests?

=Dan

Comments

• jaestellejaestelle Member Posts: 17

I'm level 47 now, mostly solo. I have found groups when I have felt like doing book quests just fine, but mostly I keep to myself.

In the past couple of  months I've gotten one message in my mailbox from a gold spammer. No tells or anything.

I'd say give it a shot. Be sure to find a nice kin when you come back. That will make things much more enjoyable.

• samuraislyrsamuraislyr Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by Wolfpack75

I joined LOTRO shortly after launch and enjoyed it for several months until the following three things bogged me down:
    1) The Gold Spammers, I was receiving 2-3 messages a day (about 4-6 hours of gaming). I finally had enough of the dev's seeming inability to stop it and left.
    This has dwindled a lot. No more tells and really the only location that still gets spam is Bree.
    2) I had no luck finding fellowships, I was level 36 and had never completed any of the chapters and found it difficult finding people to adventure with.
    They have added a lot of solo quests for you.... you sound like you were here when Evendim came around but there are those and then late North downs and early Angmar... shouldn't have run into a solo quest problem till about 40 something.
    3) The reputation system which was inserted into the game with such little reward and such blatant grinding turned me off. Unfortunately because I couldn't find groups to run with I often found myself doing the rep quests because I had a hard time completing any other quests.
    The reputation system is a bit less grindy now and really only do the rep if you really want it...
    So my question would be: Have they dealt with the gold spammers, has the population on the various servers grown, and have they added more 35th+ level solo quests?
    =Dan

• CerionCerion Member Posts: 1,005

1). The gold spamming has been reduced significantly. In the passed month I've seen only two messages -- one in OOC (whom I promptly invited into fellowship and screwed up his macro), and one amateur gold seller who PM'd me directly after striking up a conversation. Fool.

2). A lot of solo content has been added for 30-50. Having said that, I find getting a PUG together when I want it to be fairly easy.

3). Reputation is still kinda grindy, but much more rep is given out now for quest completions and such. Thus only the highest levels of reputation standing require grinding to reach.

Yes, I'd say it's worth a return.

Games I'm watching: Infinity: The Quest for Earth, Force of Arms.

Find the Truth: http://www.factcheck.org/

• Mike_LMike_L Member UncommonPosts: 72

In my opinion you should stay far away from LOTRO.

At first I paid for the game, installed it, gave it several chances and almost died from boredom. Yea I know it sucks to hear if you're a really big fan of LOTRO. Then I uninstalled it but a few months later decided to give it a go again.

Same thing... LOTRO is just too boring and even the second time I went back I had problems find players. Well i found one, a norwegian guy who had been running around for a week without seeing anyone.

They are just trying to cash in on a bloody fantastic book.

If it ain't dead you're not pressing 2 hard enough.

• DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco Member Posts: 1,757

Same thing... LOTRO is just too boring and even the second time I went back I had problems find players. Well i found one, a norwegian guy who had been running around for a week without seeing anyone.

That's just simple BullShit, with capital letters, sorry.

I'm playing in Europe too, on Snowbourn. Every time I log in and want to do an FS quest, I find a PUG within 5-20 minutes.

(edit: pls don't respond to this high-time major troll - check his post history. 13 posts made, 8 exists - meaning 5 was deleted by mods. Speaks for itself....)

DB

Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.

• khartman2005khartman2005 Member Posts: 477
    Originally posted by Mike_L

At first I paid for the game, installed it, gave it several chances and almost died from boredom. Yea I know it sucks to hear if you're a really big fan of LOTRO. Then I uninstalled it but a few months later decided to give it a go again.

Mike_L that is simply a flat out lie and your nothing but a troll.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

I don't find it boring. And others don't find it boring.

I suggest that they just try it out for themselves.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

... maybe it took the Norwegian guy that long to figure out he was still in the opening instance and there *were* no other players?

Outside of that... I don't buy it.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• CerionCerion Member Posts: 1,005

Well, thankfully the OP didn't ask you if it was boring or not. In fact, he listed three points that turned him away last time, none of which included boredom.  But nice try to highjack a thread. Too bad it only gives us a chance to prove you to be a troll.

Games I'm watching: Infinity: The Quest for Earth, Force of Arms.

Find the Truth: http://www.factcheck.org/

• GrindalyxGrindalyx Member UncommonPosts: 657

It has been alongtime since i got a gold seller mail. They have a nice little feature now were you click a button reporting it as gold selling spam. No longer need to fill out a form. You can also report a gold seller spamming on  the differant channels with a click of the button. Puts them on your ignore list also.

Last night i finished book 10 and 11 with my kinship. Even had a guy we picked up who was working on book 11. Join a good kinship and you have very little problem with grouping.

My alt that i am lvling up is at lvl 47 now and i have mainly soloed him. Did some fellowhip quests the epic book ones and others. But mainly stayed away from them. Wanted to solo him up. With the addition of forchol i will hit 50 with him no problem now.

imageimage

• Katashi-kunKatashi-kun Member Posts: 517

Tons more quests have been added with the addition of Forochel, so now u have 2 major locations from lvl 43+ to play in,{Forochel and Angmar}  Misty Mountains was made slightly easier to solo in in the patch also for 37-43.

Gold spammers are only in Bree, and there is a handy report option that adds them to ur ignore list also!  On occasion I will get a tell that always starts with "hi or hey" and I respond with, "if u wanna sell me gold no thx" and they always say yes they're a GS and they want no trouble and don't bother me again!

I'd highly suggest you come back and give it another go...very fun game!

Kemih ~ 13 Red Mage | Currently playing FFXI & LOTRO, awaiting Warhammer Online & Aion...

• jarishjarish Member Posts: 526

I say you should come back. It is a great game and I have never been nored, especially with fishing now. Easy to get groups and ive played for 3 mo. and have only had 1 tell from a gold spammer. This game is great!

Brandywine Global LFF chan "/joinchannel glff"

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by Grindalyx

It has been alongtime since i got a gold seller mail. They have a nice little feature now were you click a button reporting it as gold selling spam. No longer need to fill out a form. You can also report a gold seller spamming on  the differant channels with a click of the button. Puts them on your ignore list also.

The only gold spam I see at all anymore in game is the OOC spam in Bree, and it's all for the same website. Haven't received a /tell or an in-game email in a *long* time.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops