Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pirates of the Burning Sea

So I just picked up Pirates of the Burning Sea from Target on clearance for $24.00 brand new.

I'm wondering if anyone has played it because I have a few questions:

1. If I roll French, and a friend of mine rolls British, will we hate each other and not be able to interact?

(i.e. Horde + Alliance).

2. What if I roll pirate and he rolls any other nationality.

3.  Is the auction house specific to your nationality?  Like, can I view (and buy) a British's auction if I am not British?  Can I buy a Pirates?

4.  As far as my job goes:  I'm probably going to roll french,  I know I want to be capable of "twinking" out my ship to the fullest, and I know I am going to need money for that, so...  I'm leaning towards freetrader to make money, but I also want to be able to hold my own in combat and questing.  Can a free trader hold his own if his ship is good enough? 

Comments

• CaesarsGhostCaesarsGhost Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

Originally posted by Krimzen

So I just picked up Pirates of the Burning Sea from Target on clearance for $24.00 brand new.
    I'm wondering if anyone has played it because I have a few questions:

1. If I roll French, and a friend of mine rolls British, will we hate each other and not be able to interact?
    You can interact, but it's more like "I'm going to kill you." type interaction.

2. What if I roll pirate and he rolls any other nationality.
    Same as 1.

3.  Is the auction house specific to your nationality?  Like, can I view (and buy) a British's auction if I am not British?  Can I buy a Pirates?
    It's location specific, not nationality specific.  Although your standing with the "Nation" will effect your ability to use their auction house (read: not use)

4.  As far as my job goes:  I'm probably going to roll french,  I know I want to be capable of "twinking" out my ship to the fullest, and I know I am going to need money for that, so...  I'm leaning towards freetrader to make money, but I also want to be able to hold my own in combat and questing.  Can a free trader hold his own if his ship is good enough? 
    I'll tell you the same thing I told everybody else who bought the game:

There's 3 classes (plus Pirate), they can all gain money equally, they can all perform against each other.

- CaesarsGhost

Lead Gameplay and Gameworld Designer for a yet unnamed MMO Title.
    "When people tell me designing a game is easy, I try to get them to design a board game. Most people don't last 5 minutes, the rest rarely last more then a day. The final few realize it's neither fun nor easy."

• KrimzenKrimzen Member Posts: 28

Now, when you say "you can interact but its more like I'm going to kill you,"

How is that possible if I am controlling my french character and he is controlling his british character?  Do they auto-attack each other or something?

• CaesarsGhostCaesarsGhost Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

no, but you can't talk to each other ingame without a special FT skill, and you can't go on missions together

- CaesarsGhost

Lead Gameplay and Gameworld Designer for a yet unnamed MMO Title.
    "When people tell me designing a game is easy, I try to get them to design a board game. Most people don't last 5 minutes, the rest rarely last more then a day. The final few realize it's neither fun nor easy."

• KrimzenKrimzen Member Posts: 28

So I guess you can't trade or any of that good stuff either?

• DracusDracus Member Posts: 1,449

French Captain: Blah Blah Blah BLAH!

English Sailor: What did he just say? I don't likes his tone.

Pirate: Arrgghhh...  Ugh Fart, Burp... blah...

English Sailor: Well yer a big help ain't ye mate.  Yer lookin fer a fight?

French Captain: Blah Blah Blah

English Sailor: Ah fightin words eh!

Pirate: Arrrhhhh.... <drink>

And that is why...

Conservatives' pessimism is conducive to their happiness in three ways. First, they are rarely surprised -- they are right more often than not about the course of events. Second, when they are wrong they are happy to be so. Third, because pessimistic conservatives put not their faith in princes -- government -- they accept that happiness is a function of fending for oneself. They believe that happiness is an activity -- it is inseparable from the pursuit of happiness.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Sorry you had to spend $24 to play this game, a free trial is around the corner.

Just because something is cheap, doesn't make it a good deal.

• LivematLivemat Member Posts: 1

I don't think he wasted his money at all. The game is extremly fun, and why not call your friend and make the same "alliance" so you can interact with each other.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter if your British or Spanish.. it's fun anyway.

Curently playing:
    Pirates of the Burning Sea

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Yeah, it's so fun that the vast majority of people never made it past the first 30 days and they just closed down 7 of 11 servers. Don't believe me at all....

Best to wait for the free trial, if you still can....

And I am usually very wary of people who come in and shill a not-very-successful game on their very first post. Viral Marketing FTL...

• bachanambachanam Member Posts: 335

OP, I agree with Burntvet, don't open the box, keep your target receipt, and wait for the free trial OR you can ask any one of the active accounts to give you one of their 3 bonus buddy keys ontop of the 1 buddy key that comes with the box

Also, keep in mind, even if you don't open your PotBS box, target won't take it back most likely.

Clearance at target means "we aren't getting anymore shipments in, we are selling it at dirt cheap, and the longer it sits on the shelves, the longer the price team will keep lowering the price" so be careful what you buy on clearance at target lol, I never saw anyone return a clearance item so I don't know if target will take it back, afterall once a clearance item hits 90% discount, if it doesnt sell by the end of the price team's cycle, they trash it.

"Sometimes, things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most. People are basically good. Honor, courage, virtue mean everything. Power and money, money and power mean nothing. Good always triumphs over evil. Love, True Love Never Dies."
    Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?