Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Building a PC need help

KatovaKatova Member UncommonPosts: 184

I've been wanting to build a new comp lately and was just wondering if all of these specs will work properly and if there is anything that anyone would recommend for me. I'm trying keep the price pretty low, just good enough to run AoC and WAR at pretty high settings.

I'm haven't even looked at cases or anything so if someone has some suggestions send them this way. Thanks in advance.

Heres what I have so far:

Motherboard:

ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard]

CPU:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core

Memory:

OCZ SLI-Ready Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

GFX:

EVGA 640-P2-N829-AR GeForce 8800GTS SSC 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

Hard Drive:

eagate Barracuda ES.2 ST3500320NS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Power Supply:

OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W Power Supply 100 - 240 V

DVD Drive:

LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner with LightScribe

Edit: All of this cost $1063

Comments

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

try for an 850w PSU (Some nice ones from Coolermaster out there), and maybe go for a 10k RPM SATA HDD, instead of the 7,200.

I personally noticed a big difference when I went for the 10k RPM drive.

Also, the 850w PSU will be nice to have in the future when you decide to upgrade your graphics cards...IMO the most miserable thing in the WORLD is having to swap out a PSU, especially after suffering from crashes due to low voltage.

• daylight01daylight01 Member Posts: 2,250

will you be running sli?I see you are only buying 1 card.

If someone had came up to me in 1980 when I was on my Atari 2600 and said we will be playing games with thousands of people at the same time.I guess my response would have been,"but I only have 2 joysticks"

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/235780/page/8

• SelgonasSelgonas Member Posts: 2

I would recommend the 8800GT over the older more expensive 8800GTS 640mb version you've picked out there.  A great site for reviews and builds:

www.tomshardware.com

Also, why not a SLI board, in case down the road you want to upgrade to two 8800GTs.  The P35 board you have is for AMD cards, ie. CrossFire.

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

try for an 850w PSU (Some nice ones from Coolermaster out there), and maybe go for a 10k RPM SATA HDD, instead of the 7,200.
    Also, the 850w PSU will be nice to have in the future when you decide to upgrade your graphics cards...IMO the most miserable thing in the WORLD is having to swap out a PSU, especially after suffering from crashes due to low voltage.

Maybe for the future but you can run sli cards with a good 500w psu a good 600w and you are covered for along long time why the need for so much?

If someone had came up to me in 1980 when I was on my Atari 2600 and said we will be playing games with thousands of people at the same time.I guess my response would have been,"but I only have 2 joysticks"

Originally posted by Selgonas

I would recommend the 8800GT over the older more expensive 8800GTS 640mb version you've picked out there.  A great site for reviews and builds:
    www.tomshardware.com

Also, why not a SLI board, in case down the road you want to upgrade to two 8800GTs.  The P35 board you have is for AMD cards, ie. CrossFire.

I also have a sli board with just 1 card but will maybe upgrade to 2 cards in the future,I was just asking if he/she inteeded to do the same.

• KatovaKatova Member UncommonPosts: 184
    Originally posted by daylight01

I was planning on going with just one card at first and upgrading to two sometime in the future.

What would be a good motherboard to run sli?

Like someone else has said I would consider the 8800gt 512mb card instead and as for your psu you will be fine nps there.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

Maybe for the future but you can run sli cards with a good 500w psu a good 600w and you are covered for along long time why the need for so much?

I like the idea of not having to mess with the PSU for the life of the MB. This way, I can upgrade all I want for a few years and not have to worry about power.

Besides, a Coolermaster 850w is barely more $$ than a lower powered unit....might as well go for the extra.

Of course, I use lots of fans and lights and what-not in my case too...

Originally posted by Katova

I was planning on going with just one card at first and upgrading to two sometime in the future.

What would be a good motherboard to run sli?

It depends on what you would like to spend(full budget)

I use asus PN5-E SLI,S775,nF650i SLI,4xDDR2,FW,ATX

This is an "older" model now and you can sure get better but I havent had 1 problem with my set-up running the likes of crysis on very high,my other specs are..

8800gt 512 mb card,E6750 2.66GHZ 1333MHz with a antec ATX2.0 500w earthwatts.

I'm guessing around $1200 or so. Without the cost of vista

Then your build does look good,although I would swap the graphics card,I think if you are spending 1200 you could get 2 8800gt cards still be in budget and sit back and enjoy .

K i'll do that. Thanks for all of the help

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

So, would you recommend 2x8800GT over one 9800GTX ?  Just wondering as I plan on upgrading my rig in the next couple of months.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Is this running XP or Vista?

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

It'll be a new rig as my old one had a AGP MOBO and a P4 3GHz CPU... I haven't decided on OS yet, I'm just looking at various HW components. Probably spend around $1500.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

I'd swap out the video card for an 8800GT and put in a PSU with a minimum of 800watt rating - go 1000 if you can.  Otherwise...nice rig. 

Originally posted by Teala

I'd swap out the video card for an 8800GT and put in a PSU with a minimum of 800watt rating - go 1000 if you can.  Otherwise...nice rig. 
    Why ohh why does he need 1000 watt psu,A good 500-600 watt will do the job well even a 700 watt would do it great with lots to spare,I mean all you are doing is paying for power everytime you switch on your pc that you will never need,I find it crazy that ppl think they need so much power too run sli etc.