Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question...

DeEhoDeEho Member Posts: 4

I am really into space simulations and since I hear SWG is getting an expansion that brings space simulation into the game...

I was wondering if I could just fly around doing missions and what not.  Do I really have to do all that other RPG stuff? like lvl up my char in order to fly around in space?

Comments

• admriker444admriker444 Member Posts: 1,526

Yes you will spend a lot of time on the ground grinding. I've been saying this from the beginning but most fanboys here dont wanna face facts. A space sim gamer like yourself wants to spend 99.9% of the time in space. However, with swg you will start in space with a crummy starter ship. Once you see how pathetic it is, you'll want a tie fighter or x-wing ship, etc.

Here's the catch, most items in swg are very expensive due to a credit dupe exploit that pumped billions of credits into the servers. Your dream shop will cost millions to purchase. To get that money, you'll have to become a crafter and sell items or go combat and grind pay missions for money. Oh but wait, you cant just start out as a crafter. You'll need harvesters, power, tools, a house, resources and a strong wrist. You wont sell anything till you make master so plan on taking a month (unless you powergrind in a week or less) to master any smith. With combat, you wont be able to kill mobs in highpaying missions until yep thats right master level.

There's also the question of faction ranking. Some rumors seem to suggest (soe tells us nothing) that rank will matter when it comes to using certain ships. One might be allowed or certified to fly a Tie Interceptor if you're a sgt or less. Nobody knows, but knowing SOE's reputation for milking its players, i'd guess yes. So plan on grinding faction missions on the ground.

Then there's the add-ons you'll want, better missiles, shields, repairs, finding shipwrights to buy other ships. Kinda hard to expect a space sim when its based on a ground game thats broken by the way. Flame away fanboys and tell him Im wrong. You got the truth from me, a former fanboy who woke up.

• CthulhuvongCthulhuvong Member UncommonPosts: 433

If you need millions admriker, then most on my or any other server won't ever get a starship. It will most likely be a few 100k for the top ships, but you can do missions in space, and also auto-loot from enemies you kill in space to get money and parts. Plus, you start with a free ship.

The free ship is not modifiable, so all those parts you get will have to be sold off so you can buy your new ship. Once you have that, you should be doing a lot better.

You do not have to set foot on ground except to sell parts you loot and buy new ships. If you are good enough, you can loot all the money you need.

I hope that SOE doesn't make us use the rank system to get better ships, though you never know...

As I have said before, I'm not a fanboy because I see the faults in the game. I just love the game even with the faults. Jump to Lightspeed will be a massive multiplayer space sim addition to a massive multiplayer online roleplaying game. You will have to do things on the ground, but they can and will be minimal.

Games Tried:
    Everquest (not a power gamer)
    Earth and Beyond (kinda fun, kinda boring)
    Planetside (rather play Counter-Strike)
    Lineage 2 (see Everquest above, plus too many PKers and Bots)
    Guild Wars [E3 trial] (Not too bad from what I saw, nothing very new though)
    Eve Online (somewhat fun, somewhat repetetive)

Waiting For: something good
    Games Tried: SWTOR, Star Trek Online, EQ, EQ2, Earth and Beyond, Planetside, Lineage 2, Eve Online, WoW, City of Heroes, City of Villians, Auto Assault, Fallen Earth
    Star Wars: Galaxies - Ibra Olasi (Valcyn Server) [Dead, screw you SOE]

• panachepanache Member UncommonPosts: 397

I'm guessing faction rank coming into play deciding what ships you can use...such as colonel permitting the use of x-wings. I would go as far as saying such ships will only be pilotable while overt. My reason for making such a claim are that it will give people a reason to still play the "planet side" of the SWG universe.....whether it be grinding faction rank or whatever.

As i said it's only a guess...

Pan

Pan

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Originally posted by DeEho

I am really into space simulations and since I hear SWG is getting an expansion that brings space simulation into the game...
    I was wondering if I could just fly around doing missions and what not.  Do I really have to do all that other RPG stuff? like lvl up my char in order to fly around in space?

yes you will have to level up your character simply because you need money to buy better ships. If you only wish to fly around in your noobship, then u dont have too

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

btw, don't listen to adrmiker

half the stuff he says are either lies, exgerrations or rumours, or issues that had been fixed half a year ago.  I would recommend to listen to other people here ...

also, it will not take millions to buy ship lol

imageimage

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• DeEhoDeEho Member Posts: 4
    hehe. thx for all the help! i really appreciate it.

• JodokaiJodokai Member Posts: 1,621

f all you want is a Space Sim, this is not the game for you. You will probably be able to make money doing missions in space, but will evenutally have to touch ground to get parts and upgrades. Jump to Lightspeed is designed to go with the ground/rpg stuff, so this probably won't be what you're looking for.

I have to agree with Enigma about admriker, but don't take our word for it, go back and search his posts, you'll see he bitches about the system then they change it and he bitches that they changed it. Clueless but funny to read.