Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Back to the game after 6years or so...

ziabatsuziabatsu Member UncommonPosts: 150

Oddly enough my main concern is, "Can I change my hairstyle?" thanks. lol

Comments

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by ziabatsu

Oddly enough my main concern is, "Can I change my hairstyle?" thanks. lol

There are "salons" in org cities where you can change everything about your avatar. I believe the price is 50 million credits, if I recall correctly.

• elondorelondor Member Posts: 171

I played it when it first came out and enjoyed the game.  I recently decided to try it again since it was free.. It was uninstalled within 30 mins.  After playing the newer generation of mmo's, going back to a game like that or everquest where it's not truly a fully 3d world and such HORRID controls..  it was unbearable.

Originally posted by elondor

I played it when it first came out and enjoyed the game.  I recently decided to try it again since it was free.. It was uninstalled within 30 mins.  After playing the newer generation of mmo's, going back to a game like that or everquest where it's not truly a fully 3d world and such HORRID controls..  it was unbearable.

How is the game not  fully 3D? And the controls are the same as in most mmorpgs, so I don't see what's so awful about 'em.

• DavynelordDavynelord Member Posts: 122

I don't know about how he doesn't feel it's 3D.  to me it feels like it is even if it truly isn't.   I mean you can move on all axis....most MMO's don't even let you truly fly or move on a vertical axis.    The only 3D I think he could be referring to is graphics and that they are not truely 3D or as 3D as todays games.   There isn't any depth to the graphics at all.

As for the controls....AO has some of the better controls for a MMO to me.   At least they are not doing the point and click thing which I truly hate.   Worst thing in a MMO as far as controls go is when you have to click the mouse button 50 million times per play session....it gets very tiring after a while.   so WASD, tab targeting, being able to bind actions to keys of your choice and customize your interface are what's good in AO and which I like in any MMO.

the fact that guy uninstalled the game after only 30 mins clearly shows he has no patience and probably is superficial to say the least.  Only a superficial person would allow the look (graphics) of a game dictate if they don't like a game or not within 30 minutes.    such people are the type that can't even get  through a good movie that starts slowly but ends up being a truly great movie....plenty of those these days.

I'm not downing the other poster though, that's his preference and what makes him happy...but I just wanted to jump in and say what I had to say as I think older games get too much criticism and are unfairly compared to modern games.

despite all of AO's graphical shortcomings, it's still by far one of the better MMO's around....if it weren't it wouldn't have lasted over 8 years and still get as many (or more) updates as modern MMO's.

• ziabatsuziabatsu Member UncommonPosts: 150

Hmmm, maybe I won't be playing after all. I logged in and found that all my equipment and money are gone.

Originally posted by ziabatsu

Hmmm, maybe I won't be playing after all. I logged in and found that all my equipment and money are gone.
    Okay, there's a couple possibilities.

One is that your account was hacked, which isn't an every day occurence, but it does happen.

Or, it could be due to when they transfered over to the new server structure. There were a few people who's data didn't make it through for one reason or another.

In both cases, you can e-mail their customer support OR you can login and /petition for a GM. If you get an A.R.K. instead of a GM, ask if a GM is available. If not, you can try again the next day or so.

I would go with the customer service route, and while waiting for their response try to get a GMs' attention ingame through the /petition system.

I won't guarantee anything, but I do know that the GMs' do try their best to help with account issues.

• jay963jay963 Member Posts: 33

As for the controls....AO has some of the better controls for a MMO to me.   At least they are not doing the point and click thing which I truly hate.   Worst thing in a MMO as far as controls go is when you have to click the mouse button 50 million times per play session....it gets very tiring after a while.   so WASD, tab targeting, being able to bind actions to keys of your choice and customize your interface are what's good in AO and which I like in any MMO.

the fact that guy uninstalled the game after only 30 mins clearly shows he has no patience and probably is superficial to say the least.  Only a superficial person would allow the look (graphics) of a game dictate if they don't like a game or not within 30 minutes.    such people are the type that can't even get  through a good movie that starts slowly but ends up being a truly great movie....plenty of those these days.

I'm not downing the other poster though, that's his preference and what makes him happy...but I just wanted to jump in and say what I had to say as I think older games get too much criticism and are unfairly compared to modern games.

despite all of AO's graphical shortcomings, it's still by far one of the better MMO's around....if it weren't it wouldn't have lasted over 8 years and still get as many (or more) updates as modern MMO's.

• edmonaledmonal Member Posts: 188

I've come back and the controls are fine. The only thing I miss is the ability to use both the L and R mouse buttons to move forward. As for the graphics...they aren't that bad. Once the new engine is in place it'll be better. Pretty damn good community, especially considering the free to play option.

• AtaakaAtaaka Member UncommonPosts: 213

AO has so many things to like that it's fruitless to compare it graphically to newer or emerging MMO's.

AO is the pioneer of all that  stuff we have come enjoy in other games. In fact, other games can't touch some things that AO Players have enjoyed for eons...

1. Flying Vehicles (not brooms or skateboards)

2. Housing

3. Crafting

4. PvP

5. Self-Supporting Economy

6. Exploration

7. Indoor Gaming (Instances/Missions/Lairs)

8. Outdoor Gaming

9. A living Computer Host

10. Characters that feel...real.

Good Luck AO...see yah after I do A.O.C.