Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5 reason on why you should play GW (if you play WOW u must read)

Comments

• ThriceShyThriceShy Member Posts: 44

Well.

GW vs WoW, hasn't this been going on for too long? I mean, you really cant compare the games.

1.GW is Instanced, WoW is not.

2.GW has a better pvp system, than WoW, if you deny that, well, thats your point of view!

3.GW has less grind, we all know it, i've played both games, GW is very well put together, but it does have some major flaws, So does WoW.

4.Community. I've had some bad experiences with the GW community, it's a b2p,f2p game. So alot of kiddies will play it. So expect alot of..Yelling, and Senseless Spam! With wow, you can experience it, but not as much as GW.

5.Graphics...Meh, don't care about graphics.

I suggest you all stop this nonsense, and play

Tempus Vincit Omnia

• TNULeaderTNULeader Member Posts: 71

Originally posted by ThriceShy

Well.
    GW vs WoW, hasn't this been going on for too long? I mean, you really cant compare the games.
    1.GW is Instanced, WoW is not.
    2.GW has a better pvp system, than WoW, if you deny that, well, thats your point of view!
    3.GW has less grind, we all know it, i've played both games, GW is very well put together, but it does have some major flaws, So does WoW.
    4.Community. I've had some bad experiences with the GW community, it's a b2p,f2p game. So alot of kiddies will play it. So expect alot of..Yelling, and Senseless Spam! With wow, you can experience it, but not as much as GW.
    5.Graphics...Meh, don't care about graphics.
    I suggest you all stop this nonsense, and play
    Agreed and I've played wowtwice and still can't get into it but unlike other post's I'm not gonna bash the hell out of it I'll just say it wasn't for me. I like that I can pick up guildwars and put it down with no additional fee's.

• METALDRAG0NMETALDRAG0N Member Posts: 1,680
    Originally posted by Astromancer

Hmm. Okay. I do agree that Guild Wars DOES have nice Graphics, but Blizzard's style is really neat, especially with the Blood Elves and Draeni . Plus, Blizzards Lore is much more complex and you can play as Many different Races. I've heard really bad s.h.i.t from both sides of the competition claiming WoW>GW or WoW<GW. But Personally:
    1. World of Warcraft has smooth, loveable graphics and great lighting effects.
    2. World of Warcraft's towns aren't all instanced.
    3. World of Warcraft has More Races.
    4. World of Warcraft has a better Lore.
    5. WoW has better dungeons 
    6. WoW copied off better games to create there MMO.
    But really, I love em' both ^^. I test played GW during some festival when people were allowed to join the game as Guests and Celebrate.

"Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god."
    -- Jean Rostand

• ExtropyExtropy Member UncommonPosts: 2

1. Completing missions is fun the first time, but if you have multiple characters it can get extremely annoying to be forced to do them over and over again. For some idiotic reason, it's impossible to travel to certain places on the world map without first completing the missions that lead up to it. For example, in Cantha, if you travel to the zone transition to Nahpui Quarter before completing the Vizunah Square mission, the door is closed and the gatekeeper won't let you pass.

And besides that, if you know what you're doing, you can go from lvl1 to 20 in 9 hours or so, after that all that is left is grinding titles and farming for better (looking) equipment.

2. Guild Wars used to have a really good pvp system, but it seems that anet is trying to discourage people from playing any pvp. Ever since Factions came out, they've been adding less and less pvp content and more pve. And now eye is coming out and there's virtually NOTHING new for pvp players, and 1/3 of the new skills are pve only.

3. Can't argue with that, in fact that's the only reason I ever even played that game. If it had a subscription I'd avoid it like the plague, not worth it.

4. The graphics are not awesome. For one thing, the engine has no Z-axis. What this means is that there is a load of exploits concerning two players on different elevation levels, a ranger can put a trap on top of a bridge and it will be triggered by a player running under the bridge, also melee attackers can attack through bridges and also stand at the base of a tower and attack the mobs at the top. Quite strangely, rangers are unable to shoot their arrows through bridges, and also sometimes they can shoot through walls and sometimes their arrows seem to be obstructed by invisible walls (especially on bridges), and anet seems to be unable (or unwilling) to fix this.

Also, no jumping, in several places in the game you run into a 3 foot tall wall you can't get over and you have to go around it. (usually quite far)

Bows have no bowstrings, all skill effects look pretty much the same (generic colored ring thingeys around your character, wow), everything is bloomed to oblivion enough to hurt your eyes, most landscape you see in the distance is not reachable and is, in fact, little more than a fancy wallpaper, i could go on for hours.

5. Events are pretty pointless, half the community is practically begging for a bugfix and some skill balance changes and we get slapped in the face with a "Get double XP for capturing elite skills" event, or some lame festival for a fictional holiday. The best part is when they add new content like the dragon arena and rollerbeetle races, and then remove it when the event is over.

• jaskoHunterjaskoHunter Member Posts: 1

1. Doungens in GW sucks the map looks like a laborint , you have more freedom in WoW and more open doungens. GW is like a single player game if you are going to explore the map because you haft to invite plp and tell them to go and everyone gets their own copy of the world when they are outside the towns and outposts while in WoW you can spot plp in the doungens and that gives more of a feeling of freedom. Imagine you have trouble with a quest deep in the forrests and you u spot a player who could help you.
    2. Monsters in GW suck because they spawn at same location and in GW there arent any speciell monsters like huge monsters that you get unique and exotic stuff from if he dies. Only thing that is similar is that u get unique items from bosses.
    3. WoW has more adventure in it because of the feeling of freedom and long quests when u do with team mates and raids, GW lacks that because of the structure of the landscape looks like a laborint and the map isn't even near the size of WoW's.
    4. PvP I would say GW has better pvp and WoW pvp isnt that good but it is better in Pve area when you do raids e.ct.
    5. Landscape in WoW is unquestionable much much better than in GW because of the bigger map and the terrain dosnt look like a laborint like I meantioned before.
    6. The gameplay in GW is like a cardgame, if u got better runes and skills on your charecters then you win but the skills on WoW is much better because you got all the basic attack skills u need to lvl up and buy to improve and you can train Herbalism, alchemary e.ct. skills.
    7. WoW has better mobility in the game like u can jump and ride with pets while in GW u can only walk
    8. GW is more restricted game while WoW isn't thats why I like it more
    9. Playied GW for around a year and WoW only the the trail and I like it more
    10. The graphics dosn't really matter that much all I see in GW is like a nice wallpaper where u cant even reach because a laborint leads you were you need to go
    11. GW has only 20 lvls wich sucks because I find lvling up fun because u notice the changes and strenght when you lvl up

• theratmonkeytheratmonkey Member Posts: 684

I suggest all of you go out and get some sun.

Groovy.

• KrylosKrylos Member UncommonPosts: 73

Um, have "A Perfect computer" to play wow?  I think not.  trust me, i played on some bad computers.  A laptop that was 18ghz processor with 512 ram, a desktop with 2.8ghz and 512 ram with integrated video card, and ive also got my alienware laptop.  All of which play WoW well.  Personally, even on my alienware, i keep my settings to a minimum beause you dont want that nasty lag spike while healing and have ure tank die and get ure guild pissed at ya.  But yeah, you REALLY dont need anything fancy to play wow, idk where you got this idea from.  Anything 3-4 years old and newer will play it. But then again, if you cant spend 600 bucks on a PC, you shouldnt be playing games in the first place on them.

• beyondangelsbeyondangels Member Posts: 49

All of these reasons made me wanna play WoW more and LOL at GW >_>

• Jo-GamerJo-Gamer Member Posts: 120

It basically has such a better community feel than WoW...  But then again any game has a better community than WoW. :P

• gimperinngimperinn Member Posts: 7

yup, i´we playd all three GW games and WoW too(GW factions sucked) , but i must say the other GW games are genious, i play both propechies and nightfall!  and i agree with ewery thing you said and...

GW is the best game ever!

• DeathTrippDeathTripp Member UncommonPosts: 263

I've never played guild wars but for people that are saying WoW isn't instanced haven't played it.. Yeah the whole game isn't instanced who the hell would want that? But there are plenty of instanced dungeons in WoW as well as non-instanced dungeons which makes great fun for everyone. You don't have to have a perfect computer for WoW either, i play it on a 1.7 ghz 256 mb  video card computer with 768 ram , yes it's a good computer but no where near perfect and i can "good" graphics mode with no problem, but if i turn everything up all the way it can be a little laggy.

-----------------------------
    Real as Reality Television!!!

• oblivonkilloblivonkill Member Posts: 8

Did you open up a trail account? i so it would only last for a week.

• ReckedRecked Member Posts: 1

I would never play a game where you can't jump. It would just make me go crazy.

• kingtommyboykingtommyboy Member Posts: 543

Well I've got both games :)

so i can switch if I want

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    waiting for ... nothing..

• xxreaper008xxreaper008 Member Posts: 181

This game is a MMORPG>

Is guildwars Massive? Hm, with over 5 million boxes sold, yes.

Multiplayer? Well, unless ive been playing with bots, I see other people.

Online? Requires internet

Role-Player? Levels, skills, equipment, so I say yes.

Seems like a mmorpg to me

• RaunuRaunu Member UncommonPosts: 480
    Originally posted by xxreaper008

This game is a MMORPG>
    Is guildwars Massive? Hm, with over 5 million boxes sold, yes.
    Multiplayer? Well, unless ive been playing with bots, I see other people.
    Online? Requires internet
    Role-Player? Levels, skills, equipment, so I say yes.

Seems like a mmorpg to me

Let me provide a different perspective on that..

For a start, you can't simply go by each word's root word, define it and see if the game matches the definition. While that may seem like a fair analysis of the game, it in facts is anything but fair. Like your first analysis, "Is guildwars Massive?"   The first word in MMORPG is actually Massively, which is used  as an adjective for the 2nd word, Multiplayer. So to provide a more accurate analysis, you MUST keep these two words together.

So it should go more like...

Is GuildWars Massively Multiplayer? Every time you go hunting you're put in your own instance. The ONLY people you can play with are the people in your part.  Even cities are instanced! Now, given that you have the option of grouping with many different people while you're in the city.  I would say that the cities have enough people to be considered MMO.  However when you are doing the missions, a small group isn't MMO at all. And thats all you see when you're out actually playing the game, your small group of people.

So you be the judge, do you consider it Massively Multiplayer? Can you play the game along side many people at once? No, you can't.

That was the only part of your analysis I had a problem with.

- - "What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?" - -

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    Originally posted by Raunu   
    So you be the judge, do you consider it Massively Multiplayer? Can you play the game along side many people at once? No, you can't.

I consider 12vs12 Alliance Battles to be "many people at once." If it were any more PvP would most likely be totally unbalanced and break.

• Italian_CarmItalian_Carm Member Posts: 6

look whoever says one is better than the other r just stupid. they're both good it just depends what your into.

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819
    Originally posted by lx300

1- GW isnt based on infinite grinding, is based in completing missions
    2-GW have the best PVP sistem you`ll find in any other mmorpg
    3-Only 1 pay and infinite game time
    4-The AWSOME graphics
    5-events every weekend

1) Titles not a grind    /rolleyes*2

2) LOL yeah right. Lake Wintergrasp beats everything GW has. AV also better then Guild Wars.

3) Ok you have this

4) But wow still has better Animations. GW characters move like robots or something.

5) So, WoW also has events. And they are on great Scale.

---------------

Originally posted by tro44_1

4-The AWSOME graphics
    5-events every weekend

1) Titles not a grind    /rolleyes*2

2) LOL yeah right. Lake Wintergrasp beats everything GW has. AV also better then Guild Wars.

3) Ok you have this

4) But wow still has better Animations. GW characters move like robots or something.

---------------

Ah, you've gota love it when people can't help but clutch at straws. I enjoy both games but now you're just being silly.

1) What exactly is your point? The game is NOT based on grinding. Grinding for titles is a CHOICE. If one's stupid enough to do it despite hating it then one needs to get their head checked. There is absolutely no arguing this point so I suggest you stop before you embarrass yourself.

2) Ah, so you'd rather spend ages grinding for gear so that you can become remotely competitive? I guess it boils down to this - if you enjoy skill-based gameplay, then Guild Wars is for you. If you enjoy grinding (yes, there goes your point 1) for gear then World of Warcraft is for you. 

4) Haha, cute. That's the best you can come up with. "Guild Wars looks so much better...but, er....WoW has better animations!!!!11!." Compare the humans in Guild Wars to the Humans in World of Warcraft and if you still think that WoW has better animations you need to get your eyes checked. Guild Wars spell-casting looks infinitely better and far more creative animation-wise than WoW's.

5) WoW does not have an event every week on top of the huge events such as Halloween, Wintersday, the Canthan New Year etc. such as Guild Wars. And I'm sorry to say but Guild Wars' events by far beat WoW's any day. 

Ultimately your only argument so far has been "but WoW also has..." You fail to realise that despite WoW also having it, Guild Wars has it better. That is the point of this topic.

• mykpfsumykpfsu Member Posts: 68

4-The AWSOME graphics
    5-events every weekend

---------------

I take intagibles into account.  GW is older then WoW and the graphics are still gorgeous even on weaker computers.  But GW went for a more realistic look, WoW went cartoony, to each their own.

Wow's events are not grand.  I don't know if you mean they sometimes send you half way around the word just to click on something as grand.  But take the christmas events.  WoW gives you christmas trees lights on a few buildings in a city.  GW re does the entire city!  You get a snow covered desert town in Nightfall's capitol with statues elf hatted.  The moon is changed for Halloween in GW.  Heck GW gives you a snowball PvP mission and bug racing.  WoW gives you trick or treating for Halloween, both games gives you treats.

Everyone should play GW if for no other reason then to support the business model of buying the game and no monthly fee.  Imagine if every company were like that.

Originally posted by mykpfsu

4-The AWSOME graphics
    5-events every weekend

---------------

I take intagibles into account.  GW is older then WoW and the graphics are still gorgeous even on weaker computers.  But GW went for a more realistic look, WoW went cartoony, to each their own.

Wow's events are not grand.  I don't know if you mean they sometimes send you half way around the word just to click on something as grand.  But take the christmas events.  WoW gives you christmas trees lights on a few buildings in a city.  GW re does the entire city!  You get a snow covered desert town in Nightfall's capitol with statues elf hatted.  The moon is changed for Halloween in GW.  Heck GW gives you a snowball PvP mission and bug racing.  WoW gives you trick or treating for Halloween, both games gives you treats.

Everyone should play GW if for no other reason then to support the business model of buying the game and no monthly fee.  Imagine if every company were like that.

LOL I guess you forgot about the Snowballs and other achievements WoW had during their Christmas event.

Also like I said, Has better Animations still. Characters Move,Swing,Cast,  smoothly.

Also the Armor animations are great in WoW.  (Wowhead.com  ----that way if you need---> )

WoW also has a more larger active player base the Guild Wars. (I wonder Why LOL)

Even Runescape has a larger active player base.

Guild Wars is nothing compared to WoW on gameplay other then Single player.

WoW has large scale PvP and Small Scale PvP.

Also WoW classes are fun to play, and not balanced around a card deck  system.

Guild Wars has very poor immersion for a RPG.

besides,,,, there's nothing MMO about GW other then the cities.

WTF!!!

I like Guild Wars because it gives me something to do when I get tired of playing WoW and Runes of Magic.

Also its Free to Play. Other then  that I would rather play Rune of Magic F2P MMO if it wasnt for the fact that I had already brought GW games.

The Developers of Guild Wars (and Guild Wars 2) have a lot of work to do if they want to their game shine again. Because the F2P hype experience is gone after most of us played the first game.

I do hope they pull their head out their ass like many of the WoW-haters, because if they dont, they will never get up to the popularity of WoW.

I know lots of you Anti-WoW Fanboz get jealous of WoW's Success, but seriously,,,, Get over it please. WoW has great ideas, they didnt get to were they are by always trying to be different.

They got to where they are by using what the mass people Like and then adding in their own unique style.

And as you can see with games like (WoW and Runescape) that this logic WORKS!!!

LOL I guess you forgot about the Snowballs and other achievements WoW had during their Christmas event.

Also like I said, Has better Animations still. Characters Move,Swing,Cast,  smoothly.
    Also the Armor animations are great in WoW.  (Wowhead.com  ----that way if you need---> )
    WoW also has a more larger active player base the Guild Wars. (I wonder Why LOL)

WTF!!!
    I like Guild Wars because it gives me something to do when I get tired of playing WoW and Runes of Magic.
    Also its Free to Play. Other then  that I would rather play Rune of Magic F2P MMO if it wasnt for the fact that I had already brought GW games.

The Developers of Guild Wars (and Guild Wars 2) have a lot of work to do if they want to their game shine again. Because the F2P hype experience is gone after most of us played the first game.
    I do hope they pull their head out their ass like many of the WoW-haters, because if they dont, they will never get up to the popularity of WoW.

I know lots of you Anti-WoW Fanboz get jealous of WoW's Success, but seriously,,,, Get over it please. WoW has great ideas, they didnt get to were they are by always trying to be different.

They got to where they are by using what the mass people Like and then adding in their own unique style.

LMFAO. Snowballs and other achievements are somehow supposed to be better than PvP snowball matches and holiday-based titles apart from the actual holiday event and holiday items? Clutching at straws again are we?

The rest of your post is filled with absolute stupidity, I'm afraid. I can't say I'm surprised. The first few lines are utter nonsense, followed by your mockery of Guild Wars being skill-based (lmao!) and then you proceed to crap on Guild Wars' head for having sold 6 million copies of the game? Oh dear. You poor silly fanboy. Guild Wars has gotten to where it is today because it is different and it works! I hate to break it to you, but every empire comes crashing down. World of Warcraft will be one of them and it will take a game such as Guild Wars 2 to do it. Just you wait.

Please, please do us all the favour of staying far away from Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2. There's no room for people like you. 

(And for the record, dream on if you think what you're spewing is logic. You've failed to disprove anything I've said.)

Originally posted by Lydon

WTF!!!

LMFAO. Snowballs and other achievements are somehow supposed to be better than PvP snowball matches and holiday-based titles apart from the actual holiday event and holiday items? Clutching at straws again are we?

The rest of your post is filled with absolute stupidity, I'm afraid. I can't say I'm surprised. The first few lines are utter nonsense, followed by your mockery of Guild Wars being skill-based (lmao!) and then you proceed to crap on Guild Wars' head for having sold 6 million copies of the game? Oh dear. You poor silly fanboy. Guild Wars has gotten to where it is today because it is different and it works! I hate to break it to you, but every empire comes crashing down. World of Warcraft will be one of them and it will take a game such as Guild Wars 2 to do it. Just you wait.

Please, please do us all the favour of staying far away from Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2. There's no room for people like you. 

(And for the record, dream on if you think what you're spewing is logic. You've failed to disprove anything I've said.)

That your opinion. You're a fanboy/girl

So how you want me to disprove your opinion other then the already current active population numbers that you can find on the internet somewhere.

GW sold the boxes based off the hype. Thats hype is dead now. Even as a F2p mmo it couldn't beat off WoW or RuneScape.

That your opinion. You're a fanboy/girl

So how you want me to disprove your opinion other then the already current active population numbers that you can find on the internet somewhere.

GW sold the boxes based off the hype. Thats hype is dead now. Even as a F2p mmo it couldn't beat off WoW or RuneScape.

By presenting me with facts and figures of course. A very small portion of what I have said is my opinion. They are cold hard facts that you simply don't like so try to ignore them.

And once again, you continue to talk the biggest load of crap. Guild Wars, despite that latest release having been in 2007, is still selling 200 000 copies per quarter. Most MMOs can only DREAM of those sales figures. I'll be the first to admit that WoW has sold more copies, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out, but ArenaNet are a brand new company who have sold 6 million copies of their very first game. That is an achievement. How many copies did Blizzard's first game sell? Yeah...I bet you don't want to go their either.

Lastly, you should be the last person accusing people of being fanboys. Really now. If you'd like my sources I can happily present them to you.