Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PHP/SQL Port

theseertheseer Member Posts: 13

I've been browsing these forums and they are slow compared to most php/mysql forums. Porting it to PHP and MySQL also lowers bandwidth usage resulting in reduced costs. So increased speed and lowered costs results. Though it may take a while.

ThA-sEeR awaits.

ThA-sEeR awaits.

Comments

• AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

Not really true.  We are running Cold Fusion (faster than PHP) and MS SQL Server 2000 (much faster than mySQL).  The database server and/or server side language you run has nothing to do with bandwidth costs - as the communication between your web servers and database servers happen on your local network (not meetered).  Regardless, PHP and mySQL would use the same bandwidth...the same data has to be passed around.

The slowness comes from a couple factors:

a) bugs in my forum code

b) overloaded servers.  This site is really busy compared to an average small fan site.  Larger busy sites appear quicker than us because they are running on multiple servers (which we are moving in that direction now)

Bottom line is that you would never see "canned" code at this site...I think most people like our site because it does not look and feel like 99% of all the other "PHP Puke" sites out there image  Plus creating everything from scratch allows us to do things that people using forum packages cannot (you will see more on this later).

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.