Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Flight in Aion

albinofreakalbinofreak Member Posts: 449

In one of the other posts on this forum, someone mentioned a dev interview where the guy being interviewed said that flight would be very basic, similar to a griffon in WoW. Now, I dont play WoW so I dont know how a griffon flies, but the interview made it sound as if it is "Jump in the air, fly straight until you want to land, then land." The dev hinted that it may become more complicated than that.

I think a realistic flight system would allow for some interesting options. Imagine fighting a dragon while flying through the sky? Or imagine tearing through the sky attacking your enemy in PvP? Perhaps becoming more agile as you progress.

So what do you guys hope comes from the flight system? Are you hoping for an intense, in-depth aerial combat system, or just an easy mode of transportation?

Comments

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Well in WoW the griffon rides are completely automated. You hop onto one at specified point and the the griffon takes you to another preset point. You don't actually control anything in WoW you just ride. EQII has the same thing. DAoC also used it a long time ago with both horses, boats and griffons. Its just faster travel.

From what I understand in the NCSoft interview, flying AT FIRST will be the same as this but they hinted at more freedom later on.

• Dudeman7475Dudeman7475 Member Posts: 78
    yea i guess ur right, its not really like the WoW griphon rides since u have full control of your charater while going down these paths. you can go down to the water, thru waterfalls, strait up, its really awesome i cant wait to try this out. Also they have said that they may change it so that you can maybe have, free flight? i think we all need to let NCSoft hear r voices and tell me we want some free flight but with some kind of "no fly" zones to keep people from getting like jumped out of nowhere. maybe keep the all the pvp areas no fly zones.

• b3g0rb3g0r Member Posts: 32
    Lets hope that fly system will be 100% controlled and not just like wow style......
    It will be something really new and awesome if u can control the fly as u are in the ground....But atm we dont have enough info about the game style and etc so we have to w8 for a LONNGGGG LOOOONNGGGGGG time and thats something i really hate

Cant w8 6+ months that Sucksssssssssssssssssssssss

• DisturbingDisturbing Member Posts: 25

Yeah, Freeflight is the way to go.  The problem with that is the glitches that people can find and the areas that people can get stuck in, which is probably a reason why they created paths.  They say that they will be introducing it sometime in the future though.  Maybe we can change their minds about that when their main site comes up.

Yes it's going to be a while until the game comes out, but I rather enjoy a fully developed game instead of a game half finished.  Lineage II Doesn't even have capes out and it's going into C5.  An inventory slot for an item that isn't even in the game. LOL

I rather see Aion be pushed back a year and be fully done then rushed. Agree?

~DisTurBinG

• b3g0rb3g0r Member Posts: 32
    hell ya i agree with u :)

• albinofreakalbinofreak Member Posts: 449

Originally posted by Disturbing
    Yeah, Freeflight is the way to go.  The problem with that is the glitches that people can find and the areas that people can get stuck in, which is probably a reason why they created paths.  They say that they will be introducing it sometime in the future though.  Maybe we can change their minds about that when their main site comes up.

Yes it's going to be a while until the game comes out, but I rather enjoy a fully developed game instead of a game half finished.  Lineage II Doesn't even have capes out and it's going into C5.  An inventory slot for an item that isn't even in the game. LOL

I rather see Aion be pushed back a year and be fully done then rushed. Agree?

~DisTurBinG

Agreed. I played SWG, and well... if you want an example of a game that sucks cause they push it out too early , thats a good one. Free flight at launch isnt absolutely necessary I guess, maybe have free flight but no aerial combat, though it would be nice to get it later on.
  • VEG5000VEG5000 Member Posts: 45
    I am hopeing that they will put free flight in it down the road..I know in Lineage 2 the Wyvrens have free flight from NC soft. So in just saying that alone they have the capability to put it in there.. 
  • comacoma Member Posts: 92

wheres the elfs? I like to play as an elf

• Ascension08Ascension08 Member Posts: 1,980
    Originally posted by albinofreak

In one of the other posts on this forum, someone mentioned a dev interview where the guy being interviewed said that flight would be very basic, similar to a griffon in WoW. Now, I dont play WoW so I dont know how a griffon flies, but the interview made it sound as if it is "Jump in the air, fly straight until you want to land, then land." The dev hinted that it may become more complicated than that.
    I think a realistic flight system would allow for some interesting options. Imagine fighting a dragon while flying through the sky? Or imagine tearing through the sky attacking your enemy in PvP? Perhaps becoming more agile as you progress.
    So what do you guys hope comes from the flight system? Are you hoping for an intense, in-depth aerial combat system, or just an easy mode of transportation?

Everything before level 70 for Aliance involves griffons flying a set flight pattern. If this is what the dev was referring to, it seems like this game will be very boring. However, once you hit level 70, one of the flying mounts for Alliance is a griffon. On one of these, you can go anywhere you want, 360 degrees. So if he was talking about that, I'm suddenly much more interested. I want more in-depth aerial systems but I think it'll be hard to pull off without too many bugs/glitches.

--------------------------------------
    A human and an Elf get captured by Skaven. The rat-men are getting ready to shoot the first hostage with Dwarf-made guns when he yells, "Earthquake!" The naturally nervous Skaven run and hide from the imaginary threat. He escapes. The Skaven regroup and bring out the Elf. Being very smart, the Elf has figured out what to do. When the Skaven get ready to shoot, the Elf, in order to scare them, yells, "Fire!"

Order of the White Border.

• The.DreamerThe.Dreamer Member Posts: 14

You all need to go to aionsource.com and read up on flying. The developers have already explained how flight is to be handled ages ago. There is both free flight and path flights, and you can fight while in the air.

• AyaseAyase Aion Community CoordinatorMember Posts: 118

I would just like to point out that this is a very old thread (from 2006) with outdated information in many areas.

The player can freely control his/her flight in Aion, combined with the ability to utilize short-range waypoint travel in certain places.

---
    Sebastian Streiffert
    Community Representative - Aion

Follow my twitter! aion_ayase
    * In order to cover my back, things I write are of course subject to change.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,118
    Originally posted by Ayase

I would just like to point out that this is a very old thread (from 2006) with outdated information in many areas.
    The player can freely control his/her flight in Aion, combined with the ability to utilize short-range waypoint travel in certain places.

You are not so active anymore in those forums , hence I believe the EU/NA team is working hard to release the game soon enough. Anyway , when should we expect to see a EU/NA website of Aion? Very soon? Soon or .. Relative soon ? :)

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• FiresealMMOFiresealMMO Member Posts: 54

FYI, free flying everywhere you want to isn't new and innovative, the Free-to-Play MMORPG called Flyff(FlyForFun) has that function, you just need to accumulate enough money to buy a hoverboard or a broomstick and the more you pay for your flying device, the faster it'll go. Free flying kinda ruined the game, especially getting that ability almost straight from the start of the game.

Originally posted by IceAge

You are not so active anymore in those forums , hence I believe the EU/NA team is working hard to release the game soon enough. Anyway , when should we expect to see a EU/NA website of Aion? Very soon? Soon or .. Relative soon ? :)

Soon. ;)

I like to keep my replies relevant and contributional, which is why sometimes you don't see me writing a lot here (I still read it all, though).

---
    Sebastian Streiffert

Originally posted by IceAge

Soon. ;)

I like to keep my replies relevant and contributional, which is why sometimes you don't see me writing a lot here (I still read it all, though).

Soon? :P I hope not later then 1 month since I expect a CBT in EU/NA in no more then 3 month :)

Anyway , some questions if u can answer.

Does Korean tester found any major bugs to the game? I am not talking about balancing classes and stuff like that.

So let's say , I am from Romania , should I be able to play in NA servers? I hope we can , because this is the first meaning in a MMO , playing with players from all over the .. world.

Does NCcoin will be implemented in Aion ( hope not and i am like 99% that NcSoft will not have NCcoin in Aion )but there are some users trying to find the right answer from the right person.. you? :)

Gaining access for one month to play Aion is the same like Lineage 2? (create a plaync account , pay with your credit card ) or there will be card access just like WoW?!

There were changes made to the graphic for the CBT 2 ? I saw some screen's and they are not so shinny like in previous CBT!

Well , that's it for now , thanks for your time :P

Chears!

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?

The testing in Korea is progressing well, and the developers are trying their best to accommodate what chances the testers think are needed. I'm very happy with how it's progressing myself. :)

As for the other questions, I'm afraid I will need to summarize it into two answers which you probably won't be happy with.

1) We haven't yet made a final decision as to how server-access will work.

2) We haven't yet made any final decisions regarding the payment model/payment methods.

Once those things have been decided, information will of course go out to the community. :)

---
    Sebastian Streiffert

The testing in Korea is progressing well, and the developers are trying their best to acommodate what chances the testers think are needed. I'm very happy with how it's progressing myself. :)
    As for the other questions, I'm afraid I will need to summarize it into two answers which you probably won't be happy with.
    1) We haven't yet made a final decision as to how server-access will work.
    2) We haven't yet made any final decisions regarding the payment model/payment methods.
    Once those things have been decided, information will of course go out to the community. :)

It's ok , since I know that NCcoin will not be implemented into Aion but what about the graphic? Can't you just tell us a little bit more here? :P

Anyway , thanks for your answers and keep up the good work , we would like to see a polished game of Aion here :P

• lyankyjlyankyj Member Posts: 63

How are you so sure that those stupid coins wont appear in the game?

I really really hope you can give us some statement about this (i havent seen one so far), coz i live in fear since they came up with those coins... I havent waited for this game for 2 years (spending 18hrs every day with Aion adv) just to  realize this will have that idiot system. I would gladly pay 3x more for monthly fee, just dont ruiin my ingame fun with those non-fantasy elements  Cash-windows would bring into it.

Originally posted by lyankyj

How are you so sure that those stupid coins wont appear in the game?

I really really hope you can give us some statement about this (i havent seen one so far), coz i live in fear since they came up with those coins... I havent waited for this game for 2 years (spending 18hrs every day with Aion adv) just to  realize this will have that idiot system. I would gladly pay 3x more for monthly fee, just dont ruiin my ingame fun with those non-fantasy elements  Cash-windows would bring into it.

Think about it , there are like 200 ppls who are working for Aion and they have a high buget ( i don't know for sure how much they have spend so far with Aion , but I believe around 200 mils $).There are ppls who work to bring Aion online in Korea , NA & Europe and you do believe that they will ruinne the game with NCcoin's?  If they do this , they will be ruinned. They will get their money in like 5 years if they are using NCcoin's. So this will be a P2P only and not a F2P with NCconi's or P2P with NCcoin's.

yeah, but when they announced p2p in korea there was a rumour about a cash-shop for customization items... whats with that? Maybe this is the same thing...

God, i hope not.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Originally posted by lyankyj

yeah, but when they announced p2p in korea there was a rumour about a cash-shop for customization items... whats with that? Maybe this is the same thing...

God, i hope not.
    Oh, I don't know. As long as they give a greater breadth of customization optioins, I don't mind spending 5 bucks here and there for that.

Funny enough, i always thought that if I was in a postion to make a game I would offer additonal customization packs for those who wanted it. You have to pay for the artists time and most likely their time is being spent for items that are to be used in the game.

So hiring extra artists or paying them additonal money to make additonal assets to be sold for real life cash is not beyond the pale.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Again, im not against paying well deserved money for their work.

Im against stuffs which are bothering me ingame when im about to play a fantasy game.

I play because i dont want to be bothered with real life in those hours, i want to emphatize myself into the game. Ingame cash-notify windows, coined items @ vendors..these are things that ruining my gameplay.

That is why i dont want coins.

Not to mention ingame economy and hard effort to get items...