Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

News Update

mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396

In case no one noticed yet, the site was updated.

Internship program started

17 April 2008

• We have finally started our internship program. This program serves two purposes; we get some talented (but usually inexperienced) help in some areas of the game creation. More importantly, we help these hardworking souls to gain some experience, insight and game credits for working at a game company on an actual title.

We've recently started six Interns, but are still looking for a few more. We're particularly interested in artists as this is the area currently needing the most development and is where we have the least number of interns.

Please note that Interns can work from remote locations; the Internet brings us all together.

If you are a budding artist, and want to get some experience and credits working on a game, contact us at [email protected]. Of course, we may take new interns in programming or Level Design as well, but you would have to have some decent skills already as we have several people already working as Interns in those departments.

Quest system design revamped

17 April 2008

• As we tested out Quest designs we found two things were true, our quest were far more involved and interesting than other MMO games we'd played, and they still didn't meet our original design goals.

So we gathered some of our design team and had a multi-day intensive redesign of the entire system. I'm happy to report that our original goals are now met with the new changes to the system. We didn't get rid of anything we had before, we just expanded the system to allow far more player interaction.

Where before you would have had unique quests that tied into your story, now your actions during the quest have far greater impact on the quest as it develops and builds toward the climax... a climax that will be affected and changed by what you did along the way and what you do during the climax.

This new system also expands the quality and quantity of quests. This, of course, requires a redesign now of our quest building tool, and that is underway. More news on that later.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Thought I'd share that wit you all in case you didn't see :)  May as well discuss themm...

Comments

• dafuzzledafuzzle Member Posts: 160

lets not all jump at once and reply now...

• adeladel Member UncommonPosts: 24

Great to hear things are moving alon I am looking forward to this game

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396

As I sit here reading over the forums, two question come to mind..

What are the effects of NPC death?  Will they respawn, or are they gone forever?

What if I leave in the middle of doing a quest?  Will I never be able to complete that quest again, since the world does not stop?

Thank you for taking the time. 

• JatarJatar Member UncommonPosts: 348

Originally posted by mike470

As I sit here reading over the forums, two question come to mind..

What are the effects of NPC death?  Will they respawn, or are they gone forever?
    What if I leave in the middle of doing a quest?  Will I never be able to complete that quest again, since the world does not stop?
    Thank you for taking the time. 

Since you asked nicely  (just kidding) NPC death can be perminent.  First off, being a dynamic world rather than static, we never reset anything. Nothing 'pops' back into existence...ever.   The reason I say, 'Can' be perminent is that it is theorecitally possible that someone will pay the high price to have an NPC resurected, but this is unlikely in most cases.  So death for an NPC is typically permanent.  Here is a suggestion for you when you eventually play Citadel of Sorcery, don't let your NPC friends get killed.  If you help them, they will help you in the future.  On the flip side, hunt down your enemies and kill them like the dogs they are...

Yes, you can leave your quest and pick it up later.  How this is posible in a dynamic world... is not yet being released.  Sorry.  You will learn more about how the universe of Citadel of Sorcery works later on, I promise.  How Adventures, Missions and Quests handle this (each is different) will also be revealed later on.

Jatar

• dafuzzledafuzzle Member Posts: 160

Originally posted by Jatar

How Adventures, Missions and Quests handle this (each is different) will also be revealed later on.
    Jatar

You say that these Adventures, Missions and Quests are different, how so are they different?

Thanks in advanced

• JatarJatar Member UncommonPosts: 348

Originally posted by dafuzzle

Originally posted by Jatar

How Adventures, Missions and Quests handle this (each is different) will also be revealed later on.
    Jatar

You say that these Adventures, Missions and Quests are different, how so are they different?

Thanks in advanced

This is information we are not releasing yet.  These systems are the core of the game play and as such certain aspects will not be revealed until closer to release.  Sorry about that, but be patient.  To quote one of my favorite comedy routines, "learn patience?  yeah, yeah, yeah, how long with THAT take?"