Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

heres some good news every1

the game should be good since it was made by the people for anarchy online

Mwahahahahhahah

Comments

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

Anarchy Online was actually a very well made game for its time. Not to many MMORPG's can come close to the depth that AO had and has.. They just went wrong with that Shadowlands Expansion, forced alot of vets away from the game :(

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• manofsteelmanofsteel Member Posts: 19

Anarchy Online is a good game which unfortunately was never the same after Shadowlands came out.  Shadowlands either should have never happened or it should have been a  base for a different MMORPG because all it did was split what was allready a relatively small community.  Rubi-Ka is allready so big that after years of play I never saw most of the land.  There was plenty of room to add content in these places.  When you allready have a world that is so big that you will never see anyone in many of the places you are only going to make things worse by creating a huge expansion that will further disperse the players.  Otherwise I still have fun playing AO every once in a while.  Can't wait to see how Funcom does with this one. 

• comacoma Member Posts: 92

anarchy online? what about it

• SneakersSneakers Member Posts: 29

Just the shadow lands expansion? Are you serious? Beta testers for months told them it wasn't ready to go gold, and they went ahead and released. Servers were arsejammed, many professions were broken with items not working properly or being able to be equipped when buffed to the correct numbers, there were a few rollbacks that were just silly.

Anarchy Online has the worst launch, for an MMO, in history title. Shadowlands was an expansion that wasn't finished/ready, and as many people have already commented on it... they broke key quests to prevent you access to new zones.. claiming they were bugged. Then Alien Invasions......the whole point of that expansion (player cities) wasn't even operable for months after that expansion release.

Funcom hasn't released anything major since AO... now they have AoC. People really think they'll do better the 4th time around?

• GruntiesGrunties Member Posts: 859

Originally posted by Sneakers

Anarchy Online has the worst launch, for an MMO, in history title. Shadowlands was an expansion that wasn't finished/ready, and as many people have already commented on it... they broke key quests to prevent you access to new zones.. claiming they were bugged. Then Alien Invasions......the whole point of that expansion (player cities) wasn't even operable for months after that expansion release.
    Funcom hasn't released anything major since AO... now they have AoC. People really think they'll do better the 4th time around?

Having been around AO during beta and at release, unfortunately I have to agree with you. I think a lot of the people that have good things to say about it werent around then, they probably started playing 4-6 months after release if not later, when funcom had started getting around to fixing the major game breaking bugs. AO eventually got to the point when it was a more polished game, but it sure took a while to get there.

Waiting for: A skill-based MMO with Freedom and Consequence.
    Woe to thee, the pierce-ed.

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

Anarchy Online was and is awesome. Shadowlands did 'force' a lot of vets away because it was very formulaic and story driven and the content was kinda the precurser to how we see MMOGs today (quest driven, a to b to c, kinda stuff.) But AO itself was so open ended and dynamic that it was like playing a whole other game.

But Funcom has gone a long way towards bringing players back to Rubika (the main world, for those that never played.) With both subsequent expansions. That and dramatically reducing the 'worth' of killing Hecklers.

But yea, AO was ahead of it's time. Where almost every other MMOG out there at the time was static, with long waiting, and camping, and generic 'feel.' AO had flying vehicles, and dynamic combat, and personal instancing, and a game as complex as you wanted it (more so at times.)

It was  BEYOND ahead of it's time. I think AoC will be as well, though I wouldn't expect it to be remotely as complex. MMOGs just don't 'sell well' these days with an abundance of complexity. It's to bad.

But yea, IMHO it's gonna rock as much as AO did, or even more.

Edit: I was with AO from beta onward. It wasn't my first MMOG either. But the experiences I had there (even in the early days) were so much more amazing then ANYTHING I did in EQ, it 'feels' like it was my first real 'MMOG experience'. :) I helped form the greatest guild ever made there (3305 Local baby!) I made friends I still have to this day. And no other MMOG has had such an impact on me. From awakening the explorer in me, to a love of complexity in the game. I mean people think they are 'twinks' these days in WoW. They have no idea what it took to twink to the max in AO, the number crunching involved, the days and days of preparation. It was hardcore.

I just cant say enough about AO. It wasn't perfect (gods know it's beta and early release have made me able to withstand that kind of thing MUCH better lol.) But it was way ahead of it's time. Developed and invented technologies that are still used today (instancing, dynamic spawning, item in chat - linking, 360' flight, and more.) I simply cant say enough.