Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

the END of the 'American' way of life

2»

Comments

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

It's because you shift all your freight by train.

No lorries on the road to speak of where you live.

Every third vehicle here is has a 40 ton load.

Those dinky little eco-traps won't survive one.

I watch those action movies. When I see them drive their cars through a brick wall, I make a note of the model.

I like to produce my own gas.

• MadAceMadAce Member Posts: 2,461

SUV's aren't safer. On the contrary.

Oh and (not that anyone actually cares) SUV's make the road for others a whole lot more dangerous.

• Pyromanic666Pyromanic666 Member Posts: 11

somewhat yea i guess

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

Originally posted by MadAce

Oh and (not that anyone actually cares) SUV's make the road for others a whole lot more dangerous.
    Based on a recent scientific study I am sure....

Since we have derailed this thread to giving opinions about auto safety, if you ask me, the most dangerous thing on the road is the cell phone, not the SUV.

• VemoiVemoi Member Posts: 1,546
    Originally posted by daeandor

Since we have derailed this thread to giving opinions about auto safety, if you ask me, the most dangerous thing on the road is the cell phone, not the SUV.

Ditto....what  daeandor said.

Originally posted by daeandor

Actually based on various studies.

I think the most dangerous thing on the road is the human being.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183
    Originally posted by baff

Originally posted by olddaddy

It's easier to see other vehicles from a higher driving position, not harder. That's one of the reasons why SUV's are safer.

Spoken like someone that has never been to Florida in the winter and seen the land battleships driven by the 75 year old "snowbirds" with only their eyes and forehead showing above the dashboard......

Florida drivers are so HAPPY when the "snowbirds" go back north.....

In about 15 years time you will be one of them and your attitude will change.

My dad is 82. I'd rather have him driving around in a Battleship than a deathtrap.

What I see, everyday, is a crushed car on the side of the motorway with firecrews trying to cut people out and blood all over the road. None of them are SUV's.

yeah, they were run off the road by an SUV

edit: my gawd...I actually agree with Madace on this one....

• arvainisarvainis Member Posts: 548

I am so sick and tired of people pointing the fingers at SUVs.  SUVs are not the problem, it is the people driving them!  It's the same as "Guns don't kill people, people kill people."  SUVs do not force people to buy them nor do they suddenly take control and run people off the road.  I've been cut off by plenty of motorcycles, sportscars, and other vehicles.  The damned media has people so biased against the SUV that whenever someone gets cut off by a single SUV it's all, "OMG all SUVs are jerks" even though 100 just passed that were driving fine.

Oh and by the way there is enough oil to get us to a transition point to another type of energy.  Again you've just been brainwashed by the media to think it's all gone and we've hit the oil peak and we're all going to die in massive riots that will engulf the planet.  Get over it we're still finding oil deposits, just this week they found an estimated 33 billion barrels off the coast of Brazil.  I will say that it is running out and we need to really crank up our research and conversion otherwise their will be a massive global depression that will put 1933 to shame.

Use some common sense and do a little research before you start flying off the handle and pointing the finger and hunks of metal and plastic.

btw I am Libertarian, not conservative or republican.

"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." ~ Ronald Reagan

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

SUVs are still a bigger danger then a car.  The only reason why SUVs have lower occupant deathrate is because they cause a greater risk to deathrate of cars.  Being heavier usually helps when 2 masses impact.  Also thier height usually bypasses a cars safety features and impacts directly to the cabin or runs it over.  Not to mention there are larger blindspots in an SUV that result in deaths of people being in those areas.

Also there is a greater rollover risk which is the leading cause of vehicular death.  Then there is the lower stability and higher gas mileage then even a pickup.  Safer at the detriment of the ones around you.

Still as mentioned above.  It isn't the vehicle its the person.  The biggest result of death is using a vehicle beyond what it can handle.  This is the main reason why Sports cars have the highest deathrate.  A collision at 98 MPH without a racing suit, helmet and harness usually results in death.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

"End" is also the "start" of something else.  We will not revert to pre-industrial status.  :)

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• AmpallangAmpallang Member Posts: 396

I have a '99 S10 (its a either a small or medium size truck I would say, though I'm guessing medium since I have seen trucks smaller and bigger than mine) and its gets about 18-20 mpg to the gallon.  Now many people will say that I bought a truck for the masculine overtones to it but really I bought it because I felt that hauling away stuff would be useful.  When I bought it I was volunteering with habitat for humanity so naturally I got a lot of use out of the truck.  Now I Don't use it as much for that but it can be useful to clear out brush from the alley or what not.  I have been thinking of getting a smaller car like a beetle and getting weekend insurance for the truck.  Only problem is with the economy the way it is I am a bit hesitant to buy a new car even if it is modestly priced.

If you are not being responded to directly, you are probably on my ignore list.

• DailyBuzzDailyBuzz Member Posts: 2,306

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

The price of gas is bad enough....perhaps lowering the overall national rate of consumption would help. But in order to do that, 75% of the country would have to give up it's status symbols....and we can't have that, can we?
    There are fuel efficient alternatives, which are safer, have just as much cargo and passenger space, and are cheaper to boot.
    As much as I hate SUVs (or any other eco-unfriendly status symbol), it bothers me more to be sitting in traffic when 95% of the cars have one passenger in them. Look over at the HOV (high occupancy vehicle) lane and see 1 car every few seconds go by. Or see a bus with 6 people on it. There are plenty of mass transit systems in place, but people would rather show off the amount of debt they can incur.

Wonder why I've never seen a tesla-roadster on the highway.

Originally posted by DailyBuzz

The price of gas is bad enough....perhaps lowering the overall national rate of consumption would help. But in order to do that, 75% of the country would have to give up it's status symbols....and we can't have that, can we?
    There are fuel efficient alternatives, which are safer, have just as much cargo and passenger space, and are cheaper to boot.
    As much as I hate SUVs (or any other eco-unfriendly status symbol), it bothers me more to be sitting in traffic when 95% of the cars have one passenger in them. Look over at the HOV (high occupancy vehicle) lane and see 1 car every few seconds go by. Or see a bus with 6 people on it. There are plenty of mass transit systems in place, but people would rather show off the amount of debt they can incur.

Busses aren't all that bad. It's normal cars that are bad.

Think of it. Every day, billions of empty seats are being hauled around... Insanity.

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396

Busses aren't all that bad. It's normal cars that are bad.

Think of it. Every day, billions of empty seats are being hauled around... Insanity.

A good amount of people use a bus.  Rather one bus than 8 cars.

• unconformedunconformed Member Posts: 700

how the fuck do you expect people to get from one place to another? here in america we work 40 hour work weeks, some work more, alot. there are so many hours in a day and if you think im going to wait for a bus, or train, or pick up some stranger that happens to be going my way, think again. i want to zip around, do what i want, and zip home to be with family. i want to do this, whenever and by whatever means i can personally afford.

how does it feel to be duped by the 'new terrorism fear tactic' called global climate change? how fast do they want you to surrender your personal freedoms? the earth is 6 billion or 4.5 billion years old according to scientists. we have only been 'harming' her for the past 100 years. wtf. 

if someone cites jesus, or god you scientific types laugh and mock. well, i am doing the same. its nuts how much you are willing to surrender because someone told you to.

100 years we have industrialized. hurricanes were predicted to be more often and stronger these past 2 cycles. well they weren't.they were weak and fewer. can we safely say that instantaneous 'change' of our 'behaviors' isn't needed?

time will get us on to new tech. we will survive. no calamity. something will come along.the debate is good but the alarmism is scary. the debate will get us moving to a new source. supply demand.

they want your personal freedoms and they dont want you to become independently wealthy. they want you depend on government. like the welfare classes of the world. you will conform nicely.

btw. to you anti jesuits out there. if man many years ago manipulated the masses for religious purposes, cant the same be done today? the manipulation of the masses.

come on over to my side, its better over here.

chips, dips chains & whips.

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

The problem with everyone zipping around in a vehicle is that they're not zipping.

They're sitting in traffic.  Usually burning fuel and reducing the average MPG even further.

The auto works as efficient transportation only to a point.  Then it ceases to be efficient.  No matter what you're using to fuel it.  As it is, we're in a double bind on this; overly dependent on a collectively inefficient form of transportation dependent on petroleum based fuel.

President Carter created a number of initiatives years ago to reduce US energy dependence on outside sources of energy.  One of the first things the hack movie star did was kill those programs.

We'd be much better off today if those programs had been allowed to continue and find alternate means; then the painful transition to alternate forms of transportation would be less painful than it will be now.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• unconformedunconformed Member Posts: 700

Originally posted by SioBabble

The problem with everyone zipping around in a vehicle is that they're not zipping.
    They're sitting in traffic.  Usually burning fuel and reducing the average MPG even further.
    The auto works as efficient transportation only to a point.  Then it ceases to be efficient.  No matter what you're using to fuel it.  As it is, we're in a double bind on this; overly dependent on a collectively inefficient form of transportation dependent on petroleum based fuel.
    President Carter created a number of initiatives years ago to reduce US energy dependence on outside sources of energy.  One of the first things the hack movie star did was kill those programs.
    We'd be much better off today if those programs had been allowed to continue and find alternate means; then the painful transition to alternate forms of transportation would be less painful than it will be now.
    im not sure of the positiveness of what carter did.

ultimately, china and india are now using lots of oil. demand went up on the same supply, therefore price goes up. everyone i believe is getting their oil needs met just at a higher price due to speculation about the future. we need to refine more oil and drill for more to keep the populace happy and prosperous. the other side prefer the price just to keep going up so we save the planet, the 4.5 billion year old planet. unfortunately there is a 'health' concern with anti-oil people, the health of the planet. so that will be the 800lb gorilla that will win the debate. you cant fuck with health. my side loses due to sketchy science. what does the other side win? more working families that live paycheck to paycheck. 100 years.

if any nations have some alien tech to reveal, now is a good time, healthy people will starve. the debate is good but, to rush this is foolish.

chips, dips chains & whips.

Originally posted by unconformed

how the fuck do you expect people to get from one place to another? here in america we work 40 hour work weeks, some work more, alot. there are so many hours in a day and if you think im going to wait for a bus, or train, or pick up some stranger that happens to be going my way, think again. i want to zip around, do what i want, and zip home to be with family. i want to do this, whenever and by whatever means i can personally afford.

YOU clearly won't change your lifestyle, no matter how sound the reasoning is. My hope is that many don't share your philosophy. If I've learned one thing in life, it's how to choose my battles, and arguing with people like yourself is a waste of my time. There are plenty of reasonable people in the world who will leave you paying $120 a week to commute to work while they pay $32 for bus fare. So, my answer to your question is: Don't change a thing, live just as you are and enjoy yourself!
    time will get us on to new tech. we will survive. no calamity. something will come along.the debate is good but the alarmism is scary. the debate will get us moving to a new source. supply demand.
    Indeed it will. No thanks to people like yourself who are satisfied to continue the status quo. Don't be alarmed though, we will still be here to save you in the nick of time, just as we always have.

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

I haven't met a single Green who has ever saved anyone from anything.

They just talk a lot about how they are doing it from their chairs. Ooo so heroic.

How many people you have saved today by riding on the bus. How grateful I am to you.

It's just a way of emotionally dealing with your own financial inadequacy. If you were capable of saving yourself, let alone others, you would be driving that bus, not sitting in the back of it.

It's just a way of emotionally dealing with your own financial inadequacy. If you were capable of saving yourself, let alone others, you would be driving that bus, not sitting in the back of it.
    Making assumptions about people doesn't change the facts. I have 0 debt. I owe nothing to anyone, and that is freedom. It's true that I make a modest wage, and that is by choice. I have left many jobs that were incredibly lucrative in favor of simplicity and having more time to spend enjoying life. Consumers are the ones who are slaves to the things they own and the people they feel they need to pay for them. It's ok, I won't judge you all personally, I know -from experience- that mass consumers are sensitive to people questioning their buying power, which forces them to spend more money and continue the cycle.

Debt is our new national product here in America. That's what you get when credit card companies write your bankruptcy laws. It's all imaginary money, and when it finally comes to a head, you will be searching for all the socio-economic help you can find. Fortunately for people caught in this trap, I vote for individuals who are willing to help you through your troubled times. So, go ahead and buy your kids that pair of $200 sneakers, put it on the plastic. Get a second mortgage to buy a Hummer so your neighbors can wow at your financial success. Just make sure you don't go 60 days without a paycheck or it all comes crumbling down.

• zoey121zoey121 Member Posts: 926

Daily glad you brought up about the credit crisis consumerism as well . As well as congress changing credit laws a few years ago.

The american dream changed sometime after ww 2 to include 2 kids a house yard and latter 2 cars in the drive way.It use to be that parentes dreamed their children did better then they did. Will this be the first generation where the children because of debt and economy , poor spending choices,  corporate ceo bounese greed will not do as well as their parents did?

Perhaps the builders that over built the past few years and offered insentives with sub prime loans added to the current mess, flippers that sepculated the market increased rates to the inflated rates we most recently saw before the down turn. 

There will be some that meet our current crisis head on and manage well come out the other side. There will be those that fall hard on bad times. But we as a people tend to work our way out of the messes that we get into . With any luck there will be many that learn from there mistakes and do better next time

• bamboob3bamboob3 Member Posts: 33

Everything is money, not only gas. By the way, life has to go on, even though life's suck!!!

• Cabe2323Cabe2323 Member Posts: 2,939
    Originally posted by billie

ref

The modern way of life in the US is centered on the American dream, and that was founded on the delusion of cheap oil/fuel.
    US oil production peaked 1971 (wellhead us$3.40/opec us$12.20 bbl) and the saudies in 1980s (us$30 bbl.) The world entered accelerated depletion of crude reserves late 90s. link

With the US banks this year out of thin air adding 40% more new money into circulation (from us$10 Trillion to us$14T) the rest of the world is nolonger buying the bogus US $, and is shifting to other currencies, not backed by enron style accounting... hence why oil is over 5x more expensive and gold is over 28x.
    Results... everything gets more expensive due to the reduced value of the us$, and the public must accept a 'downsized' lifestyle, before the economic wars go full force against Europe and Asia (esp China and India.)
    You are now seeing + us$100 per barrel crude oil (that breaks down to us$5 per gallon petrol;) within your lifetime you will see us$300 to us$500 per barrel (that works to us$25 per gallon [us$6 a quart !])

? suv... you guys are NOT getting it. The US hit peak oil way back in 1971, since then there was less and less US domestic crude, hence the US largely imports.

The world hit peak oil in the 1990s; it can not produce what is needed to maintain current living standards, and in the next five years Asia will be demanding their share, already making plays on what is left of the middle east and Africa's reserves.

It is not a matter of vehicles that use less petrol, soon there will be NO MORE petrol, except for us$40 to us$60 per gallon synthetic.
    With less and less crude oil available to refine into petrol, the modern industrial revolution can not go back to coal and steam... notice the plastics and drug industries depend on refinery side products. The house of cards known as this modern world will collapse and it is not really doing anything meaningful to circumvent that much less recognize the problem.

The US has less than a third of the 700M worldwide cars, (est to increase to 1000M within four years...) it will be getting worse, alot worse.

Everything I have seen says 40-60 per Barrel not per gallon for Synthetic Oil.  I was reading about that just last week and that was tne numbers quoted.  (I think the exact number was 55 per barrel) which was considered too high at the time because OPEC dropped the price of crude oil down to 8 dollars per barrel.  I guess it is time to revisit synthetic oil.

Currently playing:
    LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
    Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)

• lomillerlomiller Member Posts: 1,810

Originally posted by Cabe2323

Everything I have seen says 40-60 per Barrel not per gallon for Synthetic Oil.  I was reading about that just last week and that was tne numbers quoted.  (I think the exact number was 55 per barrel) which was considered too high at the time because OPEC dropped the price of crude oil down to 8 dollars per barrel.  I guess it is time to revisit synthetic oil.

Synthetic Crude Oil still isn’t renewable; it’s the product of upgrading bitumen extracted from tar sands or similar source.  Its cost of production is usually below $20 a barrel, but that doesn’t include the capital costs of starting up operation.  
  • billiebillie Member UncommonPosts: 400

it was not synthetic oil rather synthetic gasoline that should be us$0.90 per gallon. Since one gets three barrels of oil per ton of coal (us$50 / 3 = < us$17 per barrel oil 42 gallons oil/barrel... us$17 barrel oil works out to $17/19 gallons= us$0.90 per gallon petrol, to make back the barrel of oil costs, the other oil refinery products are clear profit products... but we all know the oil companies will give up making over us$1B a week to go back to a pitiful us$200M a week !!) ref
    Fischer-Tropsch method:
    By using fractional distillation, two German coal researchers create synthetic gasoline. Known as the Fischer-Tropsch method, the gasoline is produced by combining either coke and steam or crushed coal and heavy oil, then exposing the mixture to a catalyst to form synthetic gasoline. The process plays a critical role in helping to meet the increasing demand for gasoline as automobiles come into widespread use and later for easing gasoline shortages during World War II.

Important by-products of oil refining process: ethylene (polystyrene, polyvinyl chloride and polyethylene.)

1960s synthetic oils developed by Mobil Oil and AMSOIL to meet the special lubricating requirements of military jets; 1970s introduced into the commercial market for use in automobiles.

Energy independence and national security... synthetic fuel to replace imported crude oil...

One gets about three barrels of synthetic oil from each ton of coal

Coal prices have risen by 50 percent or more in recent months. Coal consumption worldwide has increased by 30 percent over the last six years.

In 2004 Indonesia was the second largest coal exporting country, namely at 90 million tons below Australia at 107 millions ton. At present Indonesia has become the world largest thermal coal exporter. The largest Indonesian coal users are among others Japan, South Korea, China, Taiwan, Hongkong and a number of other Asian Countries. us$114 to 67 per ton.

US thermal coal prices us$25 to 55 per ton, (used for ele power stations and expected to double; steel-making uses coking coal us$325 per ton 2008 up from us$97 in 2007 !!) ref2
    Within a year expect a tripling of electricity prices.