Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

got some questions...

zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969

hi im a previous EQ/FFXI player that is looking for somthing kinda simal to those games to try out, so here is my questions:

1)is this a more group style game or solo fest?

2) when did this game come out? (im not a fan of getting into old games where everyones maxed and low lvl groups are dead)

3)is there good endgame (aka:raids/land bosses)

4)whats a well packed but not overdone sever w/ more lowbie activity?

5)i hear stuff about RMT, is it under control or out?

6)i played jobs like bard(eq) dragoon/redmage(ffxi) what jobs here would be close to it? (there is alot @_@)

7)if uve played lets say FFXI can u compare its style to this?

thanks

Comments

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969

o yes, is there a trial, would be great if i could try it out first, i already wasted 20$ on crappy vanguard and 40$ on what turned out to be a lame combat system in EQ2 (that and a quest fest)

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Originally posted by zanfire

hi im a previous EQ/FFXI player that is looking for somthing kinda simal to those games to try out, so here is my questions:
    2) when did this game come out? (im not a fan of getting into old games where everyones maxed and low lvl groups are dead)
    6)i played jobs like bard(eq) dragoon/redmage(ffxi) what jobs here would be close to it? (there is alot @_@)
    thanks

I'm not sure if this game compares, though there are some similarties.

1, This is a FFA pvp game. Many people solo so that they can maximzie their xp. Still, there are groups for certain areas. Some classes are wanted more in groups than others.

2, Game came out 4 years ago. There will be a new Euro Server added in April. Still, this game is not like other games so you are not going to have people having around the new player areas for long.

3, End Game is PvP. There are Raids one can do but you should probably be prepared to PvP for them. There are also some Epic Raids that take a huge amount of time and organization. These aren't done much.

4, Bartz has the most U.S. activity/Teon for Euro (as I mentioned, a new Euro Server will be starting in April. No more info on that.

5, RMT? Huge arguments about that. My thought is that every AAA title  has it. However if farmers/bots are going to send you over the edge then don't play L2

6, You will have to be specific about what those "jobs" did as I have heard of them but don't know their specifics. Perhaps another FFXI player will be better able to help.

7, I've played a little Final Fantasy. I think there are similarites but I never got that Final Fantasy was a pvp game. Also, L2 quests aren't very good and there are not a lot of them.  Not compared to other games.

Oh, I don't know of any trials. There might be one somewhere as people have been mentioning it.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by zanfire

thanks

I think I can give at least useful answers to the FFXI questions, as I've played it for some time.

Woot! Fellow DRG/SAM here :)

Well, I don't think any class in L2 really bears any direct "1-to-1" similarity to any job in FFXI.

The *closest* comparisons I can find would be Gladiator being similar to Paladin, Phantom Summoner being something like Summoner in FFXI, only not as varied as FFXI's. L2's Bladedancer is something like Dancer in FFXI in that it's a combo of melee and support.

You can draw some  comparisons between Spellhowlers and Black Mages - though Spellhowlers are much, much more aggressive in playstyle (and more satisfying to play, IMO).

L2's Shillien Elders would be something like a White Mage in FFXI... healing and buffs, etc. Annnd... I guess I can see some similarity between FFXI's Bard and a Swordsinger in L2.

In all, if you read the description of each class in Lineage 2, you'll see various bits and pieces of different Jobs in FFXI. But I think I covered at least some of the more readily apparent ones here. Typed this up off-the-cuff, so I might have missed some.

I've alwyas considered FFXI and L2 as "opposite twins". They're both very intense games in their own way... both have a long leveling curve (though I think L2's is longer) and both require a substantial time investment to progress. Both have xp and/or level loss for dying. Both have ways to mitigate the xp loss by different amounts.

The key difference being that L2 is built around PvP and there isn't a whole lot of PvE content. Crafting is *very* involved and crafting a single item can prove difficult as getting your hands on some materials can be either costly, or time-consuming. What quests there are generally are just an excuse to go kill a bunch of mobs. L2 has no pretense of being a PvE game - the content is largely player driven through inter-clan politics/wars, castle sieges, fortress sieges and all-around world PvP.

While both are pretty grind-heavy games, leveling in FFXI is "grinding lite" compared to L2. You'll spend much of your time in L2 grinding xp, be it solo or in a party.

Although, while I might make that sound like a negative, personally, I always saw grinding xp in L2 more as "hanging out with friends/clan-mates" and  killing mobs was just what we happened to be doing while we talked. So it never got annoying to me. Of course, the occasional gank squad or wartag could come along and stir things up. But that goes with the territory in a PvP game.

You won't be grouping so much at first to level in L2 and, really, you don't need to. They've made the new player experience much friendlier than it used to be. Now with clan Academies where it benefits the clan (and the player) to bring in new characters, you shouldn't find it very difficult to find a clan either.

FFXI on the other hand is very much PvE with a *strong* emphasis on storyline. PvP is an optional side activity. You've played FFXI so I don't need to go into the specifics about its PvE content :).

Finally, you'll read about L2 having a "sub-classing" system. Don't confuse it with FFXI's. They're nothing alike. Personally, I think calling it sub-classing in L2 is a bit of a misnomer. It should be called "alternate classing", or "2nd Class", "3rd Class", etc.

It's not like FFXI where you can be a RDM/BLM. In Lineage 2's system, you'd be a Red Mage who has unlocked the ability to switch to a Black Mage and back. Kinda like what you'd do before doing the Selbina/Mhaura quest and unlocking your subjob slot in FFXI.

It basically allows players in L2 to play a different class without having to start over from scratch on a new character. Getting your subclasses in L2 to 75 allows you to work on becoming a Noblesse, which is a sort of "advanced title" (for lack of a better description) . Noblesse brings some very nice benefits, like special buffs, teleports, etc. So... it's nothing like the way it works in  FFXI, but it does have its own interesting perks.

Oh and as a final thought - the economy in L2 is botht tougher than FFXI's and, in a way, easier. Things can tend to be much pricier than in FFXI by comparison, but there are various ways you can make money in L2 (without having to RMT). Personally, I find making money in L2 overall  easier. If you do some research, pick a couple methods that appeal to you and start focusing on making money early on, you should do fine.

In all... I hope I haven't confused you too much heheh. There's many points that can be discussed and, again going off the cuff, I've covered some of those that immediately come to mind. The best way to see the differences is really to give L2 a try  for yourself and try to stick around to at least your 2nd class change and even beyond.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• helloflorinahelloflorina Member Posts: 2

You will have to be specific about what those "jobs" did as I have heard of them but don't know their specifics. Perhaps another FFXI player will be better able to help.

• EllyrionEllyrion Member Posts: 193

Excellent post WSIMike,

WRT the following, this is changing:

Finally, you'll read about L2 having a "sub-classing" system. Don't confuse it with FFXI's. They're nothing alike. Personally, I think calling it sub-classing in L2 is a bit of a misnomer. It should be called "alternate classing", or "2nd Class", "3rd Class", etc.

It's not like FFXI where you can be a RDM/BLM. In Lineage 2's system, you'd be a Red Mage who has unlocked the ability to switch to a Black Mage and back. Kinda like what you'd do before doing the Selbina/Mhaura quest and unlocking your subjob slot in FFXI.

It basically allows players in L2 to play a different class without having to start over from scratch on a new character. Getting your subclasses in L2 to 75 allows you to work on becoming a Noblesse, which is a sort of "advanced title" (for lack of a better description) . Noblesse brings some very nice benefits, like special buffs, teleports, etc. So... it's nothing like the way it works in  FFXI, but it does have its own interesting perks.

With the release of the new patch your subclass option will bare a direct impact on your main class:

Here's a snippet of the info from our clan forums

This applies to a char that has at least one level 65+ on their sub.

At Subclass lvl 65, 70, 75, 80 You can add 1 skill to your main depending on the class of your sub (65/70 are non class specific, level 75 is class specific). You will have to talk to NPC where you switch to your subclass (doesn't need SP for these skills).

Once you obtain skill, you cannot change/delete. Even if you delete your subclass, skill remains.
    However, you can return to initial stage by paying 10m and can learn different skill after getting certificate again.
    Maximum of 12 skills can be learned for your main (3 sub X 4 =12)

Skills (level 65/70)-subclass Beginner:

Sub-Attack Beginner: P.atk increase

Sub-Defense Beginner: P.def increase

Sub-Empower Beginner: M.atk increase

Sub-Magic defense Beginner: M.def increase

Subclass Expert (level 75):

Sub-Attack Expert: P.atk increase

Sub-Empower Expert: m.atk increase

Sub-Casting Expert: casting speed increase

Sub-Focus Expert: Critical increase

Sub-physical Defense Expert: p.def increase

Sub-Magical Defense Expert: m.def increas

Subclass specific skill at 75:

Knight Ability:

Boost HP

Defense (when attacked, increases p.def/m.def for short period )

Resist Critical (Reduced Critical damage)
    Enchanter Ability:

Boost Mana

Mana Recovery

Barrier (UD effect at certain chance).
    Summoner Ability:

Boost HP/MP

Resist Attribute: (Resist against elemental attribute)

Spirit
    Rogue Ability:

Evasion

Long Shot (increase attack range)

Critical Chance (increase critical chance)
    Warrior Ability:

Resist Trait (Increase against Para/Hold/Sleep/Shock/Cancel)

Haste (when attacking, attack speed increase for short time)

Boost CP
    Wizard Ability:

Mana Steal (When attacking, at certain rate, steals MP)

Mana Gain (Increase MP when receiving recharge)

Anti-Magic (m.def increase)
    Healer Ability:

Prayer (Heal increase)

Divine Protection (Increase against Dark/Holy)

Heal (when attacked, HP regain at certain rate)

Transform ability at level 80:

Warrior

Knight

Rogue

Wizard

Summoner

Healer

Enchanter

Example: XXXX' main is EE(Healer) and sub is level 78 Hawkeye. So I can learn 3 skills at:

65:Defense Beginner

75: Casting Expert

75: Rogue Ability (since HE is Rogue)- Evasion, Long shot OR Critical Chance. (Kinda useless skills for my EE tho, I'll probably get Evasion)

For my Prophet, Sub is warlock 76, so I can also learn 3 skills at:

65:Defense Beginner

75: Casting Expert

75: Summoner Ability (since Warlock is summoner)-Boost HP/MP, Resist Attribute, or Spirit.

Because of this new addition, by selecting "right" subclass, you can boost your Main's ability. So choose wisely. So for XXXX since your main is BD, best 3 Sub you can add will be:

1. Rogue (Archer or Dagger) for Critical Chance

2. Knight for Defense

3. Warrior for Resist Trait or Haste

Whilst not a direct import of skills you can see that there are again quite a few usefull combinations to be gained. Having said that, if you can get your 3rd subclass to 75+ you deserve everything that is due for that much investment of time.

Regards,

Ellyrion Fiallathandriel

The Reckless Knight

Lunatris

• Hey I've played and enjoyed both games so maybe I can help you out.

1)In my opinion the game is group oriented, you need a clan for pvp, and there are numerous bonuses for being in a clan. It's just too many to mention. And with the academy system it should be easy to find one. It's not like the linkshell system in FFXI, the clan offers advantages such as clan only items, buffs, and skills.

2) 4 years ago; This may be a problem for you, but there is a new server coming out in a couple of weeks and it will be like FFXI for a while. I had a problem when I started back in C3 (3rd expansion's name) on Bartz (the most popular and first American server), but there is a low level community, it's just that most people only want to progress to 40+, so they progress and move on, if they make an alt they solo with it usually, so really only raids at low levels.

3)Yeah best end game in any game, it's just so hard to reach, I never got there on official servers so I can't tell you :(, but you can look on LivePVP.com for castle siege videos. I've been in an aden castle siege on a really populated private server and it was awesome. Best time I ever had in an MMORPG.

4)Bartz, Teon or Franz have the highest pops of all the servers. I once made a character on Hindemith and it was a low pop realm at the time. Needless to say the only person I saw was my friend who I leveled with and some random guy, who we ended up pking anyway. I didn't even see bots at that point which was sad. (we were orcs btw, that may be the reason, not many people like orcs)

5)what does RMT stand for? I don't know

6)a bard in FFXI is like a sword singer in L2, The closest I can think of for dragoon is dark avenger because they are a melee class with a pet. but really I would compare it to a dragoon subclassed dark knight. I really don't know what is like a redmage, maybe a necromancer?, but they have a pet and can't really heal.
    You can't be 2 classes at once like in FFXI, but you can switch classes at a very high level.

7)This is the opposite of FFXI, where FFXI is based on PvE with PvP being a side game, L2 is based on PvP with PvE just being a means to an ends.

I think L2 is worth a shot, it's a good game, it's just hated because of the amount of grinding involved, and I really don't think the grind is that bad when you are leveling with friends in a group. Think of it like playing all of FFXI solo as opposed to in a group. Even if you are a beast master, it still sucks

If you have any other specific questions or don't feel like reading my post, just ask because like I said I really enjoyed both games and I can give my opinion.

• thyrenethyrene Member Posts: 50

1. Yes.

2. All i know is it's open beta was august 2007 for phil. , malaysian and singapore.

3. Yes.  You can have big exp. in killing raid boss with your party/clan member.

4. Blackbird.

5. out? ;) don't know...

6. bard have the power to sing. Am I right? i forgot already FF. Redmage is same as Mystic of any character type. but in Lineage you may choose whether you will be black or white magic. just like FF.  In lineage to you may not use at the same time your white and black. Better choose to be Healer/Buffer same as white magic or Dark Wizard same as black magic.

7. yes.

hehehhe

61C9CA79-4E44-4ADC-948D-BDF8E60F846D