Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Day #2 of Beta Key Giveouts///PVP Beta Key Talk

Hey guys, todays the second day of beta key giveouts for the PVP beta that everyone should have signed up for. Did they send out the keys yet or are we still waiting for the second (last?) wave.

----------------------------
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

Comments

• MrTumN3sMrTumN3s Member Posts: 439

noone got a key yet? thats great news, it means i still can have hope.

----------------------------
    Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

• SabbicatSabbicat Member UncommonPosts: 290

Yep Still waiting.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Funcom really screwed up giving Gamespot the keys for this.

Not only is the beta forum on Gamespot open for anyone to post and read, regardless of beta status, they have idiots breaking NDA all over the place, people trading beta keys for WoW, etc., and even have people posting links to torrents which have now been created from the beta client. Edit: Even better, Gamespot made the torrents.

Gamespot is still the crappiest game site on the internet.

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396

Originally posted by Zorvan

Not only is the beta forum on Gamespot open for anyone to post and read, regardless of beta status, they have idiots breaking NDA all over the place, people trading beta keys for WoW, etc., and even have people posting links to torrents which have now been created from the beta client.
    Yeah..and to make it worse their crappy downloading thing died on me half way through!  And before it died, it took around 7hrs for me to download one part, on my new laptop!  Gamespot is a joke.

...I hope Funcom gives 'em a kick in the balls.

• DouhkDouhk Member Posts: 1,019

I was just about to ask about this...

...apparently I'm not the only one finding the torrent from Gamespot a little dysfunctional. It's about 6.3 GB in size, I've been downloading this thing for about 3 hours now, and it's 6% through... my internet connection is fine and I've attempted to get a better speed with various torrent downloaders. Can anyone give a link to a better source to download... please? I don't really want to damage my computer by letting this thing download overnight, even then it probably won't even get halfway.

image If only SW:TOR could be this epic...

• caracarncaracarn Member Posts: 1

Just realize the PVP beta client from Gamespot will only work for this weekend's event.

A lot of people invited into the tech beta downloaded a 24gig client and were only able to attempt to log in during a 3 hour test window, many never even got into the game at all.

They just announced open beta will be handled by FilePlanet, and you have to be a paid member to download the open beta client.

Coincidentally(?), Fileplanet increased their subscription rates by a buck a month on the same day.

I'm waiting for a free trial, they should get to the point where they need to give them away about 2 weeks post launch.

• adeptinwaradeptinwar Member Posts: 40

I am on part 3 on this crappy gamespot dl manager this is seriously pathetic. The download manager is barely functional i was getting stuck at 99% yesterday for part 1 and was stuck on authorizing for part 3 today for over 3 hours it just started dling 40 mins ago.... i might not even be able to play these pvp beta at the rate this is going and all the problems gamespot is having there forums are loaded with downloading issues why would AOC go through gamespot they are horrid...

• waverat81waverat81 Member Posts: 287
    Originally posted by adeptinwar

I am on part 3 on this crappy gamespot dl manager this is seriously pathetic. The download manager is barely functional i was getting stuck at 99% yesterday for part 1 and was stuck on authorizing for part 3 today for over 3 hours it just started dling 40 mins ago.... i might not even be able to play these pvp beta at the rate this is going and all the problems gamespot is having there forums are loaded with downloading issues why would AOC go through gamespot they are horrid...

I dl'd all 4 parts in roughly 7 hours......I didn't have any problems at all.

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

The torrent really isnt that bad... the thing about torrents, you have to upload to download... so if you upload really slowly you will download really slowly.

Granted 7 hours to dl is rather long.... but not to shabby.

• bmcinvaillebmcinvaille Member Posts: 209

I used the downloader from the AOC site and mine went perfect was done in about 6 hours and installed the game perfectly and I can go and put in my info to log in now but it just stays on connecting lol and wouldn't even let my ctr,alt,delete or windows button exit out of it while it was doing that I found that weird. But I know it is working and I cannot wait to play tomorrow.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

If you get the upgrade to fileplanet the downloader will double in speed.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by Elsabolts

This is Gamespot doing this event, not Fileplanet.

• ShanniaShannia Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by Elsabolts

This is Gamespot doing this event, not Fileplanet.

Yep.  Why the open beta wasn't announced next Tuesday, after this weekend's event, I'll never know.  Now it is just one huge cluster with tons of people not knowing where to go for tech help.  Simply amazing.

Fear not fanbois, we are not trolls, let's take off your tin foil hat and learn what VAPORWARE is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

"Vaporware is a term used to describe a software or hardware product that is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge after having well exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar product."

• FischerBlackFischerBlack Member Posts: 573

I would imagine they want to get the herd through the gates in an orderly manner over time, rather than open up the downloader 10 mins before open beta starts and have the interwebs explode

Edit: misread above posts, my apologies

• jus10datljus10datl Member Posts: 45

Well we dont even know how they handled the beta key giveaway. 1st come 1st serve or what? I wonder if they even checked for the age of the people they invited . When I posted about how bad/poor this move was, I was immediately trolled and insulted (Post was here, would you believe that?). I still think Funcom screwed over a lot of people who have been waiting for awhile. I feel bad for the people that are on the AoC forums posting daily in hopes of that increasing their beta chances. I hope EVERY company sees this and points and laughs at Funcoms disaster. So many people have multiple copies and are selling/trading them like hot cakes.

Good idea, executed POORLY.... imo(not yours)

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

I have been a memeber or Funcoms Official AOC site since May of 05 , a former AO player of 2 1/2 years, and a fanboi of this company (let alone game) before most of you even knew about AOC.   Not only didn't I get in beta, but I didn't get accepted into the PVP weekend either...

Good stuff, reminds me about all those contest I entered here on this site, only to watch someone who had 2 post and just signed up for the contest win it.

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525

Got my key.  Going to see what's the truth behind this game for myself (or at least the beta-truth) 

I'm going to let the client DL overnight (and probably through the day)

• jus10datljus10datl Member Posts: 45

Originally posted by Tinybina

I have been a memeber or Funcoms Official AOC site since May of 05 , a former AO player of 2 1/2 years, and a fanboi of these company (let alone game) before most of you even knew about AOC.   Not only didn't I get in beta, but I didn't get accepted into the PVP weekedn either...
    Good stuff, reminds me about all those contest I entered here on this site, only to watch someone who had 2 post and just signed up for the contest win it.

You are my example of the person I feel bad for.  The loyal and hardcore fans are the people that are the most ignored. I'm not saying I am... even though it IS just a game and soon it will be out for everyone, it still leaves the loyal and hardcore wondering if they should of been as excited/serious from the start of it. Now if you put that on a mass scale of people just like Tinybina... shouldnt that kill/upset a lot of the fanbase that keeps your forums active so it looks like someone cares about your game?

• khartman2005khartman2005 Member Posts: 477

Originally posted by Tinybina

I have been a memeber or Funcoms Official AOC site since May of 05 , a former AO player of 2 1/2 years, and a fanboi of this company (let alone game) before most of you even knew about AOC.   Not only didn't I get in beta, but I didn't get accepted into the PVP weekend either...

So your one of those I AM ENTITLED to something just because I have been around longer. Listen, I have been in many beta's for tons of games. I have never felt like I shoudl be entitled to something just because I may have invested more time then someone else.  Most people have full time jobs, college, families and cannot spend tons of time posting on forums and entering contests.

Most beta's will pick random people, playstyles, system setups etc . Stop whining because you didn't get in.

Also, just in case you think I am in the Conan beta think again because I am not. I would love to be sure, But I can wait for a buddy key or a free trial to check out the game.

• alcapwnyoualcapwnyou Member Posts: 97

i got mine. but the download is acting up and torrent takes 208 days. lol

I give no mercy

• dannisdannis Member Posts: 80

Haven't really read this topic, but I wanted to point this out in case it hasn't been mentioned yet - from GameSpot:

Funcom has agreed to extend the length of the Beta weekend by 24 hours, so it will last from 4pm EST Friday to 4pm EST Monday.

wee!

• TordakTordak Member Posts: 285

Not only is the beta forum on Gamespot open for anyone to post and read, regardless of beta status, they have idiots breaking NDA all over the place, people trading beta keys for WoW, etc., and even have people posting links to torrents which have now been created from the beta client. Edit: Even better, Gamespot made the torrents.

I couldn't agree with you more Zorvan. 

Gamespot is not just having problems with DL's of the client and needing  the 1day extension for the event from Funcom. 

They also needed an extra day to send the accepted emails.  Some of those who got in still haven't received an email(5hrs after the last keys were given out).

To top it off, there are many people who only saw that  'thanks for registering...you'll be notified on the 16th' page. 

It seems that if your one those who only saw this and not the whitebox page.  It wasn't a matter of you being processed(accepted or declined) but that the system simply crapped out on your initial registration and that your entry just wasn't counted for the event.

There's been, atleast, 2 threads locked and removed so far, concerning this, on the gamespot beta forums.  But, I guess you can pan-handle(sell/trade/share) your weekend keys to the highest bidder, no problem. ....NDA's be damned, lol.

The two threads, I had been watching that got locked on their first page with less than 10 posts each, didn't even have an angry comment in them. They just had a couple of 'It figures' and 'What ur J/k' after some long time members, of the site, tried to explain why people didn't get the accepted or declined message.

I hope Gamespot made their handful of copper off of AoC's event, because, I for one(sure as s*it) would never hand money, directly, over to that site. 

* Life is not black or white, it's shades of grey. But, at it's best/worst, it hints at 32bit color. -Me (a.k.a. RuthlessTimes)

* I do not need to know how to make a better game than you. I just need to know how to cancel my subscription. -Antarious(a slight misquote but the sentiment remains)

• AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525

Originally posted by Tordak

I hope Gamespot made their handful of copper off of AoC's event, because, I for one(sure as s*it) would never hand money, directly, over to that site. 
    Have to agree with that.   Thanks for posting about the problems that Gamespot is trying to hide and censor. 

They really do fail, don't they?

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

High sense of entitlement FTL (@ some posts in here)

• HuzzHuzz Member Posts: 163

Originally posted by Tordak

I couldn't agree with you more Zorvan. 

Gamespot is not just having problems with DL's of the client and needing  the 1day extension for the event from Funcom. 

They also needed an extra day to send the accepted emails.  Some of those who got in still haven't received an email(5hrs after the last keys were given out).

To top it off, there are many people who only saw that  'thanks for registering...you'll be notified on the 16th' page. 

It seems that if your one those who only saw this and not the whitebox page.  It wasn't a matter of you being processed(accepted or declined) but that the system simply crapped out on your initial registration and that your entry just wasn't counted for the event.

There's been, atleast, 2 threads locked and removed so far, concerning this, on the gamespot beta forums.  But, I guess you can pan-handle(sell/trade/share) your weekend keys to the highest bidder, no problem. ....NDA's be damned, lol.

The two threads, I had been watching that got locked on their first page with less than 10 posts each, didn't even have an angry comment in them. They just had a couple of 'It figures' and 'What ur J/k' after some long time members, of the site, tried to explain why people didn't get the accepted or declined message.

at first i had the white box also but i went back to it a couple of times and i was actually accepted.

and the dl took me 18 hours for 6.9gigs not to bad i think (without subing to gamespot).