Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

POTBS shutting down 7 of the 11 servers.

2»

Comments

• olddaddyolddaddy Member Posts: 3,356

Originally posted by Gameloading

You people need to stop acting like PotBS is on its death bed........

Mouth to mouth didn't go so well, the FLS office defibulator didn't work, so now they've called EMS.....and the only opening in the hospital emergency room is at SOE. You really think these are good, healthy signs?

(overheard in the background) "Clear".

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by smg77

Originally posted by Epyon529

Originally posted by Abdar

Where is the 15 day trial? The only reason I can imagine there isn't one is that the game isn't that good...

There is a trial period already just you need to go get a buddy key. Also it is already being exploited to hell by most players to get there end-game ship

Well when you openly encourage ganking and griefing then don't be shocked when your players start exploiting as well.

I don't think those three things necessarily go together.  Exploiters are an entirely different class of gamer and affect the PVE world just as much as the "griefers" you reference.

And I'm not convinced that the basic pvp model employed by PotBS is flawed, rather its more due to poor implementation and execution. 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

At the moment I've been playing a free 7 day trial that has been introduced in Australia, and I'll be honest here I really enjoyed playing the game.

I could certainly see it getting lame once you hit the last level, but I also saw it as a game that could fill the space a little between now and the release of AoC.

Now when I say I really enjoyed the game, I wish I could still play it. However in all my years of online gaming I have never seen something as laggy. I admit my connection is not the greatest, but this was rediculous, this was game design flaw. I have a top-end computer, I played with my connection, rebooted routers, put graphics on the bare minimum, nothing worked.

There were times when I could play the game for hours, than there were times where I could nto even move my ship, which sadly was most of the time. I read up on the subject and found out this game has been having problems with newer hardware.

I was willing to pay for this game, but this was a load of shit... on a side note I had no idea it was in the pits till I read some of the threads here.

O_o o_O

• mbrandybuckmbrandybuck Member Posts: 75

Originally posted by Vantras

The failure of this game has nothing to do whatsoever with SOE.  Its just uninformed to suggest that it is.
    SOE handled the registration, billing, server hosting for POTBS.  This game is failing because its gameplay is horrific.  The game is unfinished, unpolished, boring, and just plain average in virtually every category.
    How any MMO company thinks that you can generically render cities and then just cut and paste them across the world will fly in todays MMO market is shocking to me.  How any MMO company can put together the avatar combat that exists in POTBS and actually think the current MMO market will accept that is amazing to me.  How any MMO company believes that creating a totally instanced enviornment and than convincing yourself that youve created an MMO that you can bill monthly for is amazing to me.
    POTBS is failing 100% on its own merits.  The made a really really crappy game after delaying it for years.  I followed this game for years, bought it on release and was and remain totally shocked by just how awful it was.  This will rank next to Horizons as one of the greatest disappointments and utter failures in the MMO marketplace.
    Blame SOE for a lot of things but POTBS aint one of them

I couldn't agree more.

This game was created by a team of individuals that have ZERO flair for creating online worlds. It's not necessarily bad (at least not at first glance), but ultimately like eating vanilla ice-cream every day for the rest of your life. Eventually you are left asking. Where are the other flavors?

Well... This game has NO other flavors. It's basic, simplistic and boring.

Four nations that play exactly the same. Ships for each, you guessed it, exactly the same. PVE missions exactly the same. Towns all copy and paste, that's right, exactly the same. Tradegoods and economy exactly the same.

When you create a character in this game, you basically are simply "choosing" sides, period. There's no other reason to choose between the four, although Pirates can capture ships, but it's the only thing that separates their play style from the rest.

Combine the limitations above with absolute "brain dead" AI and you have the makings of poorly thought-out game design.

SOE didn't destroy this game. Not at all. Personally, I think this game is only surviving because of the SOE station access. Imagine where they'd be today without it? Merging servers or shutting down perhaps?

Well, shutting down at this point is a stretch, I admit, but I was making a point.

The problems weren't caused by SOE. The problems are simply poor game design and execution.

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811

"If you don't like it don't play it, it's not the game for you"  <--- favorite fanboy quote, that too many actually followed

• indiramournindiramourn Member UncommonPosts: 884

Originally posted by mbrandybuck

The problems weren't caused by SOE. The problems are simply poor game design and execution.

Poor design and execution are definitely the most significant flaws in PoTBS.  But SoE's involvement, if only as the publisher of the game is an issue that contributes to PoTBS's deathspiral.  Many people, me and my close gaming friends included, won't touch a game published by SoE.  I know we are not alone in that regard.  Old time gamers who are avoiding all things SoE related are definitely having a negative effect on subscriber numbers for PoTBS.

• ummaxummax Member Posts: 779

Originally posted by altairzq

"If you don't like it don't play it, it's not the game for you"  <--- favorite fanboy quote, that too many actually followed

I litened to that advice too it worked but...

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Fls did a outstanding job on the charcter transferr's well done keep improving things and word of mouth will bring back folks.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758
    Originally posted by Elsabolts

Fls did a outstanding job on the charcter transferr's well done keep improving things and word of mouth will bring back folks.

Yeah right! ... hehe!................snigger!...... no really! I believe you..................hehehehehe! ..no I'm sure you right............ hahahaha! ..No! stop  it...............  hahaha!.....cry...hahaha!......... I'm sorry, I need to lie down. All this laughter is giving me a headache.

• DragonOakDragonOak Member Posts: 322

The failure of this game has nothing to do whatsoever with SOE.  Its just uninformed to suggest that it is.
    SOE handled the registration, billing, server hosting for POTBS.  This game is failing because its gameplay is horrific.  The game is unfinished, unpolished, boring, and just plain average in virtually every category.
    How any MMO company thinks that you can generically render cities and then just cut and paste them across the world will fly in todays MMO market is shocking to me.  How any MMO company can put together the avatar combat that exists in POTBS and actually think the current MMO market will accept that is amazing to me.  How any MMO company believes that creating a totally instanced enviornment and than convincing yourself that youve created an MMO that you can bill monthly for is amazing to me.
    POTBS is failing 100% on its own merits.  The made a really really crappy game after delaying it for years.  I followed this game for years, bought it on release and was and remain totally shocked by just how awful it was.  This will rank next to Horizons as one of the greatest disappointments and utter failures in the MMO marketplace.

I couldn't agree more.

This game was created by a team of individuals that have ZERO flair for creating online worlds. It's not necessarily bad (at least not at first glance), but ultimately like eating vanilla ice-cream every day for the rest of your life. Eventually you are left asking. Where are the other flavors?

Four nations that play exactly the same. Ships for each, you guessed it, exactly the same. PVE missions exactly the same. Towns all copy and paste, that's right, exactly the same. Tradegoods and economy exactly the same.

When you create a character in this game, you basically are simply "choosing" sides, period. There's no other reason to choose between the four, although Pirates can capture ships, but it's the only thing that separates their play style from the rest.

Combine the limitations above with absolute "brain dead" AI and you have the makings of poorly thought-out game design.

SOE didn't destroy this game. Not at all. Personally, I think this game is only surviving because of the SOE station access. Imagine where they'd be today without it? Merging servers or shutting down perhaps?

Well, shutting down at this point is a stretch, I admit, but I was making a point.

While I have not played POBS so it would be very unfair for me to comment, I would like to add some food for thought.

I wonder if SOE loaned any monies or services to this game and are waiting in the corner for the time to call in the loans?  I mean we have seen that happen before, to me I am seeing a trend where SOE likes to play this game of low end buyouts or calling in loans for a game they were suppossed to market and distribute. 

While I can not prove the above, I would advise many to watch this drama unfold and see if SOE announces they are taking the game over and have lots of changes and updates planned.

Any developer that works with SOE needs to be very wary of their tactics.  And those developers better not think they are prepared for whatever SOE can throw at them.

Just food for thought.

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758

Originally posted by DragonOak

I couldn't agree more.

While I have not played POBS so it would be very unfair for me to comment, I would like to add some food for thought.

I wonder if SOE loaned any monies or services to this game and are waiting in the corner for the time to call in the loans?  I mean we have seen that happen before, to me I am seeing a trend where SOE likes to play this game of low end buyouts or calling in loans for a game they were suppossed to market and distribute. 

While I can not prove the above, I would advise many to watch this drama unfold and see if SOE announces they are taking the game over and have lots of changes and updates planned.

Any developer that works with SOE needs to be very wary of their tactics.  And those developers better not think they are prepared for whatever SOE can throw at them.

Just food for thought.

I understand where you are coming from and PotBS will probably make a decent Station Pass game eventually, as it is at least different to the others.

However, I think it would be unfair to blame SOE for the basic problems of this game. It's simply a case of the developers having tunnel vision over the game they wanted to create. They completely missed massive design problems that  should have been picked up in the beta phase.

It's a shame but I think most of us think it's too late for it ever to become a successful game in any conventional sense now.

• JoeShmo2JoeShmo2 Member CommonPosts: 98

POTBS is the biggest waste of 50 bucks I have ever seen and it deserves to die.....

end of story.

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

This is coming from a fan of this game.... you can bet SOE hurt them, but not in the ways many allege.

The negative impact of SOE came the minute FLS got in bed with them.  SOE had a reputation that was almost unmatched, to the point that thousands of people simply heard SOE's name, and they wanted nothing to do with the company.

As far as the server mergers, I think even that was handled badly.  For example, the British are devestated on Blackbeard.  Several guilds simply went to another server incognito really last night.  Yet there was more people on Blackbeard.  Why not take those servers that were truly unpopulated and offer them the ability to transfer to a high pop server, rather than making this across the board?  At least thats how I see it.

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

Originally posted by DragonOak

I couldn't agree more.

Just food for thought.

I wouldn't be surprised.  Quite honestly, its smart business sense for SOE, whether or not some players like it.  Now what that does with me, who knows.....