Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's a little confusing

SeismicaSeismica Member Posts: 24

On the website i can download the free trial. I'm a little short of hard-drive space (at least, i'd have to select download to my second drive if its over 6 gb)

So downloading the free trial installer it says 86mb, big for just an installer.. must be the game? too small for the game. Must be a smaller version of the game just for free trials. Thats what i thought anyways, so i downloaded it to my first drive.

Then it tells me it is downloading the entire file AFTER i start my 14-day trial. i dunno about you, but my limited internet connection means its going to take around 12 hours to download 6gig. Firstly, i wouldnt dream of starting a download that large at 10 o clock as i normally go to sleep around 12, and i'm not leaving my laptop on all night. Secondly, it didn't tell me this when i downloaded the installer, it didn't say how big the file was or what. So now the file is in my first hardrive. What am i to do? i can uninstall and reinstall in my second drive sure. Then i'll have wasted nearly 2 days of my free trial.

My questions are:

1. Is it the full 6 gig that it installs for the free trial.
  2. What happens if the download size is too big? can it spill over to my second harddrive? or do i have to uninstall and reinastall on my second drive (both are inside my laptop, 160gb divided into two drives)
  3. Is the free trial limited? or do i get fairly decent game access. In the past i have had 30 day trials that give me limited gameplay that takes only a few hours before it forces me to buy.
  4. In your opinion, is it worth it?

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Seismica

In your opinion, is it worth it?

its hard to say

without knowing more about your computer

such as

- how much memory you have

- what video card you have

- how fast is your cpu

Trial has level cap of level 10 and it really does not give a taste for the game

EQ2  is around  11 gigs  in size -- if you include all content, including the extra Voice files

if you dont have space for that on one disk,  I would not bother

• fozzie22fozzie22 Member Posts: 1,003

The games huge nowadays as Nadia says..maybe try and do the full download and install on your second hard drive?

• quaikyquaiky Member Posts: 566

don't worry about the days you have left on the trial after finishing download, you could just register a new station account and use that one for playing the trial.

but as nadia said before the download is big and you will be limited to max lvl 10 which you can reach very easy and fast, so it is probably only worth it if you really want to see if eq2 is the game you want to play (which is still not very easy to say after just 10 levels) and how good it runs on your computer.

• eccotoneccoton Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

On the website i can download the free trial. I'm a little short of hard-drive space (at least, i'd have to select download to my second drive if its over 6 gb)
    So downloading the free trial installer it says 86mb, big for just an installer.. must be the game? too small for the game. Must be a smaller version of the game just for free trials. Thats what i thought anyways, so i downloaded it to my first drive.
    Then it tells me it is downloading the entire file AFTER i start my 14-day trial. i dunno about you, but my limited internet connection means its going to take around 12 hours to download 6gig. Firstly, i wouldnt dream of starting a download that large at 10 o clock as i normally go to sleep around 12, and i'm not leaving my laptop on all night. Secondly, it didn't tell me this when i downloaded the installer, it didn't say how big the file was or what. So now the file is in my first hardrive. What am i to do? i can uninstall and reinstall in my second drive sure. Then i'll have wasted nearly 2 days of my free trial.
    My questions are:

Is it the full 6 gig that it installs for the free trial.
    What happens if the download size is too big? can it spill over to my second harddrive? or do i have to uninstall and reinastall on my second drive (both are inside my laptop, 160gb divided into two drives)
    Is the free trial limited? or do i get fairly decent game access. In the past i have had 30 day trials that give me limited gameplay that takes only a few hours before it forces me to buy.
    In your opinion, is it worth it?

I never did the trial so can not answer questions about that. However as to the question "is it worth it?" Yes! EQ2 is one of the best mmos out at the moment. I am not a big fan of SOE but I still give them my money because EQ2 is worth it.

• TrinsecTrinsec Member Posts: 22

1. The full game would be roughly around 8GB. But it'll install the necessities to be able to play the game, yes. I assume you're talking about the trial 'Play the Fae'? In that case, some areas aren't downloaded (you'll be asked in-game if you want to download it when you want to go to those zones. I gather it's mostly the Evil zones). But it'll be quite several GBs, yes.

2. I think you need to have space in the first place. You might need to redownload it or some such. Just make space. To get a big MMO with less than 10GB free is asking for trouble in many cases.

3. The free trial is not really limited very much for the Fae lands, and I believe you could walk around in Neriak too? For the rest, you're stuck on the newbie islands, and can't go to places like Kunark. Reading the other comments, apparently there is a level 10 cap, but I hadn't hit that cap yet. I bought the game after a few days trial, so... ;)

4. In my opinion, it is worth it. I've bought the full game (all expansions and adventures) after just a few days of trial. I wanted to see more than those starter islands and I did not care for those Fae countries. I wanted to explore Kunark and the other zones! So far it's been reasonably fun.

But the trial is a nice impression to give you what the graphics are capable of, and what sort of interface you'll be working with. You also can check the basics of crafting, and how to gather/harvest and fight.

If you buy the full game, count on more downloads. I'd just suggest to have at least 10GB available before you venture on with this game.

As said earlier, don't worry too much about the trial time. You can create another account and redo the trial. But, yes, I did comment to a buddy of mine that it was quite stupid to have first to register for a trial and -then- be able to get the game in. Waste of time if you'd ask me. Thankfully I did have a fast connection. And, besides, 14 days I consider more than enough for this game to determine if it's worth it or not. I needed only 3 days. :)

Good luck with your decision!

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803

2 days of trial convinced me, i think it was worth it (a bit wowish at the begining, but i checked the later content and there is much more to do than WoW)

also there is a special edition out that includes EQ2 + all 4 expansions for like 40$CAD which is aprox 40$USD

• SeismicaSeismica Member Posts: 24

If i uninstall the bit i have and re-install on my second harddrive, can i still use my account? stupid question i know lol, but If it's endorsed by sony i can't be 100% sure it's reliable.

• quaikyquaiky Member Posts: 566

reinstalling is no problem with account, theoretically you could even just copy over the eq2 directory and modify the links in startmenu cause eq2 does not use any important registry settings which won't make it run afterwards.

that also allows you to start playing right after a windows reinstall without reinstalling eq2 (in case eq2 was not on the windows partition and got deleted by formating that).

also you can play from same account on any pc (but each account can only be loggged in once at same time) its just the account that gets flagged how many days you got left in trial or when you ahve to pay again.

• fozzie22fozzie22 Member Posts: 1,003

If i uninstall the bit i have and re-install on my second harddrive, can i still use my account? stupid question i know lol, but If it's endorsed by sony i can't be 100% sure it's reliable.

Yees you can..i've got the game installed on 5 different pc's round my house and use them all with my account.