Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

noob here with questions

jybgessjybgess Member Posts: 355

My son just started to play Runescape and im going away for a month because of work. I would like to play the game with him but hes only 9 and I have no idea what the game is about. Anyone got any tips for a noob? Is the PvP any good? I did read about the game but I would like to hear from the experts. How is ranged? is it better than melee and magic? I will be playing on a free server. Is there a reason to play as a member? Thx for the help guys and I know its an old game but I still want to play it

Comments

• kverikkverik Member Posts: 55

Hello jybgess, the games main objective is to max out your character there is 30 some odd different stats in the game that max out at level 99 some of them being as simple as Defence, Hp, Magic, others such as Mining,Farming,Construction ...  Each stat takes quite a while to max out and some are quite costly in the in game market to the easy ones that just require you to sit still and kill things.

The PvP was quite good, It's still decent although it took a big turn downhill when they updated quite a bit of things and almost redid their whole PvP system originally their was an area called "The Wilderness" which had many things that would allow you to progress through the game faster however the downside was it was the main PvP site (Refered to in Runescape as Pking, or Player Killing) It was quite fun and fast paced however around January they switched this system around so now you need to venture out to mid wilderness go into a certain arena (Divided up into 3 level groups like 3-49? 50-99 and 100+) It is called bounty hunter ... Basically you enter the arena you are then given a target (While some one is given you as a target) and you can either Search for your target kill them grab there stuff then leave or Kill a random person and be forced to stay in the arena 2 extra minites after killing some one (Also when you die in runescape you lose all but your 3 most valuable items but in this arena you lose all items on you.)

Range is actually quite good while you should avoid any low level encounters with other players (There are high level players who make alts in a specific way to where they sacrifice a few of their Combat leveling stats while focusing on other stats to make a much stronger player than their level actually is) but at high levels most players either combined Melee/Magic or Range/Magic,

Playing as a free player is basically and never ending free trial... I advise becoming a member It allows you to level faster more areas to explore and many more quests (While some can be quite annoying their are a few with good story lines) and most players found on these servers are quite nice and willing to give advise to others (Most) it also allows access to more skills more monsters better weaponry and armor and updates the free players get like one to two updates a year and they are generally quite small while members however get 4-7 a month and ranging from small to rather large...

I noticed you said you had a 9 year old son playing, I started playing the game around that age also (Iv been playing since around the begining however I took many breaks and made more than one character) but I'd advise if your son likes it and gets the hang off it to upgrade him to members because the free server isnt that grand for younger players Many inmature kids trying to scam other players out of the accounts and such insulting and using weird spellings to get around the filter (Quite an annoying thing if you use curse words alot ) such as blow my dik ect...

If you have any other questions or are in need of advise you can contact me and [email protected] or use msn messanger to contact that same adress

• AkaJetsonAkaJetson Member Posts: 1,167

I think kverik pretty much said it all except PvP bounty hunter isnt the only PvP area theres also a duel arena and clan war arena for free players but if you upgrade to members you get tons more.

?

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359

Isn't the age requirement for memberships still 13+ years of age?  Even though there are reporting abuse options and chat filters on the game itself there is still alot of things within the community that parents need to be aware of that happen everywhere you go regardless of rules. Lots of misspelled swearing, 40 yr olds dating 14 yr olds,  and the reporting system is very lacking and is abused to the point that someone standing there swearing at you can get you banned by reporting you for no apparent reason.  I would suggest that  if a 9 yr old is playing that his private chat be set to friends and only have those he knows for real to be on it. To have public chat turned off and trade turned off so that he will be harrassed less.