Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Five MMOs > WoW?

Comments

• safwdsafwd Member Posts: 879

Obviously people did not understand the article if they even read it.

The article was not saying that EQ was a better game then WoW, just that it had better raiding, and it does.

The article was not saying that DAOC was a better game then WoW, just saying it had better PVP then WoW, and it does.

The others i never played so i cant judge.

If you ask me you could find a better game for pretty much every aspect of WoW but that doenst mean the whole game is better then WoW.

I am no big WoW fan but what WoW did was make pretty much every aspect of the game OK. There are really no glaring weak spots in WoW, but then there are no huge pluses to WoW either.

My personnal opinion is that there are no Huge pluses to WoW but there are some pretty huge weaknesses, like the spoon fed content and hyper speed leveling.

I think WoW is a very vanilla MMO, it is pretty decent but nothing is there to really grab a hold of you and say "Wow, ive never had that before!" or "Wow, that was really cool and different."

• telebrethtelebreth Member Posts: 19

And unfortunately you miss the point others are making.

WOW from RELEASE had it all.

Solid PvP

Generous Amounts of Quests

Excellent Raid Concepts

Excellent Lore

Deep Story Line linked to a previous often played Sports Quality RTS.

To say that a game like DAOC has better PvP is to state a matter of opinion so be prepared for people to disagree. Not everyone shares that same opinion. And some of these people played DAOC from Alpha, Beta or Retail release so their opinion isnt any less valid.

No need to get upset that someone doesnt share your opinion or vice versa.

• HellmarauderHellmarauder Member Posts: 178

Of three dozens of p2p's and f2p's I've tried, only 2 succeeded in prying cash out of my wallet: GuildWars (+ its first 2 expansions) and DOMO.  So yup, I agree with that article regarding to Dream of Mirror.  A game managing to get more than a penny from a stubborn cheapo like me has to have some merits. 

WoW may have mesmerized billions, but it ain't good enough to make me part with my money, sorry. 

• MTBareMTBare Member Posts: 2

I knew DaoC was coming, and I agree with it having better pvp.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,821

You are all missing the true point of that article:

To drum up hits for the website.

• lolhahahalolhahaha Member Posts: 48

Originally posted by telebreth

And unfortunately you miss the point others are making.

WOW from RELEASE had it all.
    Solid PvP
    Generous Amounts of Quests
    Excellent Raid Concepts
    Excellent Lore
    Deep Story Line linked to a previous often played Sports Quality RTS.

To say that a game like DAOC has better PvP is to state a matter of opinion so be prepared for people to disagree. Not everyone shares that same opinion. And some of these people played DAOC from Alpha, Beta or Retail release so their opinion isnt any less valid.
    No need to get upset that someone doesnt share your opinion or vice versa.

Dude are you serious? WOW had it all? It's lore is non existent, at best stolen from Warhammer. It's PVP is a complete JOKE. Anybody who thinks otherwise has no clue. The classes are the most generic of any MMO i've ever played and both sides have the exact same classes and they still can't even come close to balancing them. It's PVE/Raid system is nothing more than Diablo 2 on steroids where you are just incremented to death while running on the same treadmill. Whenever a new expansion comes out for WOW it totally invalidates every single minute of gameplay you have spent in the game up to that point. Why spend 1000+ hours in raids now when none of the gear will be worth 2g in 6 months?

Apparently a lot of people really enjoy drooling over the cheese while running on a treadmill.  Just because this is true doesn't make never ending treadmill runs with incrementally better smelling cheese the best gaming. It just proves that a lot of new gamers don't mind doing the same things over and over and over again all the while knowing that the rug will be pulled out from under them within a few months.

• maimeekraimaimeekrai Member UncommonPosts: 256

Originally posted by Xiaoki

Not cynical enough.

I would go with that AND:

An attempt to try to put Domo on the same level as those other MMORPG's mentioned...

Right.....

------- END TRANSMISSION

• slask777slask777 Member Posts: 706

DAoC hits the spot head on. WoW's pvp really stink up the entire game. Grindy like hell, easy as pie, extremely newbie friendly, instanced(wth!!! you are discouraged to raid towns and have open pvp) and your little toonsie wars have no impact on the rest of the game, except for bragging rights(lol). If there is one thing Mythic know, and do very well its pvp.

Better community. Heh, thats a nobrainer. WoW's community suck. Never have I met so many inbred idiots, complete morons, unforgiving assholes, chat-spamming 12y olds(barrens general chat...shudder. And the LFG spam they had going for a while. If I see another Chuck Norris joke I'm going to kill myself) and loothungry ninjalooters as I did in WoW. Yes, you can find nice people playing the game, but they are drowned by the above mentioned players.

I have to agree, to a point with that article, especially the part about WoW being caught in its own success. They cant do anything drastic and experiment with the game as the community is way to big already, and its growing. They have to please the masses so to speak, and by that are left little room, if any to wiggle around in.

---
    Grammar nazi's. This one is for you.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Originally posted by Cabe2323

Originally posted by Gameloading

Originally posted by Cabe2323

There is no correct title.  Maybe sensationalist journalism is different in Europe but here in America Journalists always use Titles to get your attention.  In many instances the title may only be slightly related to the actual article. 

Don't pull the "it's a cultural thing" card. Journalism is no difference in that regard. I'm not even referring to the title, I'm referring to the words used in the actual article.

You are taking it out of the context of the article.  I can't tell if you are doing it on purpose or truely do not understand the flow of the article so here I will explain it.

Here then, are five MMOs better than WoW – and why. Each takes some aspect of World of Warcraft and blows it away. Some of the games are old, some new, but all are excellent games -- and perhaps you will think so, too.

Here are the sentances where the author conveys that these games are better then WoW.  Sure if you stop at the part in red then you might think the same way that Gameloading is, but if you follow up that statement with the part is green then you can see that the author clearly conveys that the MMOs are only better in certain aspects of World of warcraft.  That statement in green pretty much shoots your arguement down Gameloading. 

Edit *** And that wasn't a "cultural thing card"  that was an honest statement.  I don't know how journalism is handled there because while I did live in Europe for 3 years I lived in a country where I couldn't read any of their news at all.  (Icelandic is way too hard of a language lol)

The article says "Here are five MMO's better than WoW and why. Each takes  some aspect of World of Warcraft blows it away" which we can translate to "These MMO's are better than WoW because they each take some aspect of WoW and blow it away". The article then links to Everquest and points out superior raiding and thus saying: "This game is  better  than WoW because of its superior raiding".

I'm taking the article in context here and that's why I come to the conclussion.

As another pointed out, the article is just trying to get more hits by hitting on the popular thing.

• DragonOakDragonOak Member Posts: 322

DO me a favor...

Go overseas and tell all the Muslims their God is dead. Call me if you get home.

Now, tell 10 Million people their MMO sucks. Give me one other MMO with 10 MILLION people subscribed to it...

In fact lets both set up a juice stand.....

you use the Generic shit....and I will use Kool Aid....nuff said.

Naughty Naughty Kool Aid think before you post.

Always keep in mind that some EPeens ARE bigger than yours.

EPeen is the core definition of the WoW generation today, but thanks for pointing that out. 

As far as generic, you do realize that everything in WoW is generic and has been around for at least 8 years.  Graphics are not unique, best application was adding color and BLAM, which all the kiddies love.  WoW's innovation was making a game that actually worked, kept new content coming (somewhat) for free, and did not require "rolls royce" systems.  All of which I really do praise WoW for, but my point and I beleive the authors point is when you get bored there are plenty of MMO's out there and many more coming.  Many have free trials, dont be afraid to explore.   And NEVER believe the HYPE that only one game rules them all!!!

• MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495

Let's face it. WoW is 100% competetive. If you max out your character you either start a new one, OR, you go for endless heroic instancing/raid instancing to get the next best item. Period. Professions don't matter, there's no housing, there's no player built content, there's nothing individual to achieve at level 70, no real class quests, no new skills you could work for, no quipment you could improve without changing it for better parts, skills you could get...

ALL WoW offers at level 70 - which can be a lot of fun, granted - is the endless run for new items. ANYTHING else, skills, crafting, individualisation is set in stone, which enables the player to shape his or her very own monument by e-peeening around with their T12 sets on...

And yes, it is as simple as this -->Hit cap, then go for new gear or start new character or quit game.

I chose the latter...

Meridion

• slask777slask777 Member Posts: 706

Originally posted by DragonOak

DO me a favor...

Go overseas and tell all the Muslims their God is dead. Call me if you get home.

Now, tell 10 Million people their MMO sucks. Give me one other MMO with 10 MILLION people subscribed to it...

In fact lets both set up a juice stand.....

you use the Generic shit....and I will use Kool Aid....nuff said.

Naughty Naughty Kool Aid think before you post.

Always keep in mind that some EPeens ARE bigger than yours.

EPeen is the core definition of the WoW generation today, but thanks for pointing that out. 

As far as generic, you do realize that everything in WoW is generic and has been around for at least 8 years.  Graphics are not unique, best application was adding color and BLAM, which all the kiddies love.  WoW's innovation was making a game that actually worked, kept new content coming (somewhat) for free, and did not require "rolls royce" systems.  All of which I really do praise WoW for, but my point and I beleive the authors point is when you get bored there are plenty of MMO's out there and many more coming.  Many have free trials, dont be afraid to explore.   And NEVER believe the HYPE that only one game rules them all!!!

...and in the darkness bind them!

Sorry, couldnt resist

---
    Grammar nazi's. This one is for you.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by maimeekrai

Originally posted by Xiaoki

Not cynical enough.

I would go with that AND:

An attempt to try to put Domo on the same level as those other MMORPG's mentioned...

Right.....

I would probably add that they are being paid by DOMO devs to promote their game.

• AnzieAnzie Member Posts: 468

I love how people on this forum sit infront of their comp to write a bigass article to say how bad wow is.

Give it up blizzard and their 10bill subcriber really don't care about it and you wont take take away any subcriber by doing it. Every month there is a thread like this on this forum and is always the same. I didn't think this one was going to go this long -,-.

Originally posted by Spathotan
    The simplest way to put this, is like this. Buying a used/refurbished 360 is on the same plane as sharing a condom in a gangbang with strangers.
  • HexxeityHexxeity Member Posts: 848

Good thing I don't care about PvP or raiding.  Community is MMOs is generally bad, so I play WoW with friends.  As  for Lore ... ha.  If anyone honestly thinks WoW is lacking in this department, we have a serious difference of opinion.  (I'm not a big LoTR fan anyway.)  And DOMO?  Are you freakin' KIDDING me?  No game will ever beat WoW for casual gameplay -- that is why it's number one.

• JirelJirel Member Posts: 90
    Originally posted by Hexxeity

Good thing I don't care about PvP or raiding.  Community is MMOs is generally bad, so I play WoW with friends.  As  for Lore ... ha.  If anyone honestly thinks WoW is lacking in this department, we have a serious difference of opinion.  (I'm not a big LoTR fan anyway.)  And DOMO?  Are you freakin' KIDDING me?  No game will ever beat WoW for casual gameplay -- that is why it's number one.

Funny, I would say I have one of the MOST casual gameplay attitudes around, I recently finished a 10 day trial of WoW and don't even miss it.  It was interesting and the game play was ok, but that's all. 

• neonakaneonaka Member UncommonPosts: 779

ummm. WoW only has 10 million playing not billion and not all of those are NA players only about 4 million are 6 million  hail from asia and europe.

Everytime I see someone post on wow numbers it gets bigger and bigger. Last i check 10 billion people weren't even on planet earth.... unless people on mars or some other planet un-discovered figured out a way to jack into wow and subscribe... lets keep the numbers realistic maybe?

• MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495

Hey, WoW is a fun game. And it appeals to a LOT of people. Because, and that's no revelation, it performs mass market compatible and polished in all aspects that modern MMOs offer. End of story. Period.

The gigantic number of subscribers comes from the fact, and this is ALSO nothing new, that the concept of a game where about everyone can have his share of fun with friends, drew armies of people into the MMO genre who never ever thought about playing an MMO. The vast majority of people in or from WoW are players  that started MMORPGs off with WoW.

So hell yea, subscription numbers, especially in this particular case, don't even remotely reflect the quality of the game.

SO, this article is absolutely right. If you wan't in depth gameplay in a certain aspect, you hop over to a game that actually delievers what you want... Don't be fooled, TRUE MMORPG-customers who DID NOT start off playing World of Warcraft, are populating other games, not WoW...

Meridion

• jus10datljus10datl Member Posts: 45

No CoX mention?!

P.S. we all know the WoW numbers are bull...

Originally posted by Meridion

Hey, WoW is a fun game. And it appeals to a LOT of people. Because, and that's no revelation, it performs mass market compatible and polished in all aspects that modern MMOs offer. End of story. Period.
    The gigantic number of subscribers comes from the fact, and this is ALSO nothing new, that the concept of a game where about everyone can have his share of fun with friends, drew armies of people into the MMO genre who never ever thought about playing an MMO. The vast majority of people in or from WoW are players  that started MMORPGs off with WoW.
    So hell yea, subscription numbers, especially in this particular case, don't even remotely reflect the quality of the game.
    SO, this article is absolutely right. If you wan't in depth gameplay in a certain aspect, you hop over to a game that actually delievers what you want... Don't be fooled, TRUE MMORPG-customers who DID NOT start off playing World of Warcraft, are populating other games, not WoW...
    Meridion

Actually that's incorrect. If you look at the actual subscribtion numbers, you'll find that that a huge amount of MMORPG's started losing subscribers after WoW's release. That's NOT a coincidence.

I have heard this arguement a thousand times. "True MMORPG players don't play WoW!!!". World of Warcraft isn't any more mainstream then games like Lord of the Rings Online, Everquest 2 or City of Heroes. World of Warcraft simply an outstanding and excellent game. THAT is why World of Warcraft is doing so well. World of Warcraft is simply an excellent MMORPG.

The fact that you're playing WoW 2...Oh I'm sorry, Lotro is probably the very definition of irony.

Originally posted by neonaka

ummm. WoW only has 10 million playing not billion and not all of those are NA players only about 4 million are 6 million  hail from asia and europe.

And a large force of the Asian players are from China, where they only have to pay $2 to $3 per month where the rest of us have to pay $15. 

And a large force of the Asian players are from China, where they only have to pay $2 to $3 per month where the rest of us have to pay $15. 

What does that have to do with anything..?

Actually that's incorrect. If you look at the actual subscribtion numbers, you'll find that that a huge amount of MMORPG's started losing subscribers after WoW's release. That's NOT a coincidence.

I have heard this arguement a thousand times. "True MMORPG players don't play WoW!!!". World of Warcraft isn't any more mainstream then games like Lord of the Rings Online, Everquest 2 or City of Heroes. World of Warcraft simply an outstanding and excellent game. THAT is why World of Warcraft is doing so well. World of Warcraft is simply an excellent MMORPG.
    The fact that you're playing WoW 2...Oh I'm sorry, Lotro is probably the very definition of irony.

Answers like this are typical of the WoW genre.......thus the Epeen was born.

No one is saying WoW suXXors like you seem to hate LoTRO and others, they are saying that WoW is not the only MMO on the block.  Are you afraid all of you buddies will leave the game at the first drop of a new title?  Honestly the WoW crowd is the most fickle of them all coupled with ADD, ADHD, and OCD they tend to wander from title to title after the lead lemming points one way or another.

And btw I have 3 level 70 characters on WoW, had fun, but time has come to move on.  Because frankly the end game is the same wash, rinse, repeat 1 gadzillion times at  the end game.  And I am bored out of my mind doing the same encounters just with an ever so slightly different graphic over and over and over again.  WoW will occupy many people for a long time, but when you get bored there are plenty of quality MMO's on the market, WoW is NOT the only quality game out there. 

What does that have to do with anything..?

I was responding to neonaka on that one, but I think players should be aware of Blizzards little secret when they broke into the China market.  And the flood of gold sellers and hackers that flooded MMO's after that.

Answers like this are typical of the WoW genre.......thus the Epeen was born.

No one is saying WoW suXXors like you seem to hate LoTRO and others, they are saying that WoW is not the only MMO on the block.  Are you afraid all of you buddies will leave the game at the first drop of a new title?  Honestly the WoW crowd is the most fickle of them all coupled with ADD, ADHD, and OCD they tend to wander from title to title after the lead lemming points one way or another.

And btw I have 3 level 70 characters on WoW, had fun, but time has come to move on.  Because frankly the end game is the same wash, rinse, repeat 1 gadzillion times at  the end game.  And I am bored out of my mind doing the same encounters just with an ever so slightly different graphic over and over and over again.  WoW will occupy many people for a long time, but when you get bored there are plenty of quality MMO's on the market, WoW is NOT the only quality game out there. 

I just have to ask, did you actually read my post first before you hit the reply button or do you just feel a strong need to post just random things? Let me quote a part of the post I was replying to:

"Don't be fooled, TRUE MMORPG-customers who DID NOT start off playing World of Warcraft, are populating other games, not WoW..."

That's exactly what I was replying to and is indeed bashing WoW as a game that does not appeal to "True MMORPG gamers" which is ofcourse downright ridiculous.

I never even mentioned the quality of those other games.

This discussion has been closed.