Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I will no longer pay for a game client...

sonicsixsonicsix Member UncommonPosts: 66

...if you expect me to pay you a monthly fee to play your game.  There are so many crap games being made today that it is a huge waste of money for players to buy the client for $50+ USD only to find out the game sucks horribly and does not deliver what was promised.

It has gotten so bad lately that I only look for free trials of games or games that are based on micro transactions. 

So make a quality game, give the players what you tell them you will give them in the game and give us the client for free.  If we like it we will continue to play and give you our subscription fees. If we don't, well... stop making crap games.

Comments

• KasmarKasmar Member Posts: 198

The $50 for the client pays for the years of development cost of the game.  The game company is perfectly within their rights to recoup those costs which are substantial. 

You should also be able to try the game out before you buy the client, which is why most game companies today offer a free trial.  If you like the game after the free trial then you can buy the client.

The monthly fee pays for the ongoing development of the game, the huge bandwidth costs, and for the server maintenance costs, plus any other expenses involved in running an online game. 

Games which do not charge a monthly fee have other ways of recouping their expenses.  No company is going to pay you to play their game. 

======================
    It's just me, so open the door.

• sonicsixsonicsix Member UncommonPosts: 66

Originally posted by Kasmar

The $50 for the client pays for the years of development cost of the game.  The game company is perfectly within their rights to recoup those costs which are substantial. 
    You should also be able to try the game out before you buy the client, which is why most game companies today offer a free trial.  If you like the game after the free trial then you can buy the client.
    The monthly fee pays for the ongoing development of the game, the huge bandwidth costs, and for the server maintenance costs, plus any other expenses involved in running an online game. 
    Games which do not charge a monthly fee have other ways of recouping their expenses.  No company is going to pay you to play their game. 

I see.  You're saying you don't mind paying for the client only to find out the game is crap.  Your $50 goes to help pay for the development of game you aren't going to continue playing past the 30 days that came with the client purchase.  Brilliant, just brilliant.

• eccotoneccoton Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

I agree with most of what you say. However I wonder about monthly fees needed to maintain the game. NCsoft seems to keep their Guild Wars running and updated with out a monthly fee. It is not the fee so much as the cost of the fee. Do they really need to charge 15 bucks which seems to be the standard. I bet with 10 million players WoW could charge 4.99 a month and still make huge profits.

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287

Originally posted by eccoton

I agree with most of what you say. However I wonder about monthly fees needed to maintain the game. NCsoft seems to keep their Guild Wars running and updated with out a monthly fee. It is not the fee so much as the cost of the fee. Do they really need to charge 15 bucks which seems to be the standard. I bet with 10 million players WoW could charge 4.99 a month and still make huge profits.

They could...but I'm pretty sure they are funneling quite a bit of that money into the new MMO project.  I don't mean to say ALL of it...most of it probably gets taken by the parent company...with some being redirected back into the game itself.  But I DO know that Blizzard pays good money and is only looking for pro's in the field for their new project right now.

Now, once that comes out...I wouldn't be surprised at all if they DID drop WoW to 5$ a month.  Or even 10...just to try and retain subs on BOTH games.  They may even use the "station pass" concept.

• KrayzjoelKrayzjoel Member Posts: 906

Good threads but:

A company has the right to charge you for playing the game. I fyou dont like the game simply dont continue playing it. This would be no different if you bought a non mmo game (without the monthly charge). They charge nearly the same amount. MMO's usually give you 1 month free b4 they charge you. If you dont like it cancel the account for being crap.

As far as the server prices......... Im not sure how Guild wars operates,  but ill bet that they dont have the massive staffing requirements Blizzard does.

Later marines!

Played : WOW, LOTRO, COH/COV, EQ2, SWG, and WAR.
    Playing EVE Online and AOC.
    Wtg for SW:TOR and WOD

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

Then don't pay the $50.

Read the reviews. Professional and player reviews usually get it right.

Play the trial. Every game on the market (eventually) has a trial. Wait until then.

Problem solved and one less gripe post to have to read.

• mdolsenmdolsen Member Posts: 47
    Originally posted by sonicsix

I see.  You're saying you don't mind paying for the client only to find out the game is crap.  Your $50 goes to help pay for the development of game you aren't going to continue playing past the 30 days that came with the client purchase.  Brilliant, just brilliant.

Hardly.  He did say a free trial should be standard, and a large majortiy of games these days do offer that, so I am not sure what your problem is....you are trying the game, with no initial cost, and no monthly fee.  problem solved.  But if you decide the game is worthwhile, I see no problem with them charging you for the game.

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

I completely agree with the OP.

Particularily when the EULA can be used to change the game completely after you've purchased it - and yes I'm looking at you SoE.

If I'm expected to invest $50-$100 for a game I better get some kind of assurances of quality and commitment from the developers.

• HousamHousam Member Posts: 1,460

what do people male out as if playing ann mmo is a huge investment....OMG....IT $60 + SUB

• slask777slask777 Member Posts: 706

Kinda agree with the OP. Why pay $50 for something that suck? Besides the monthly sub should pay for all the crap they need to have the game going anyway, and then some. If you really think that mmo devs is barely balancing on the plus side you are delusional. They earn big money on us suckers willing to pay up for the crap they feed us. Why else do you think there are so many mmo's made nowadays? Its a gold rush for the developers. Easy money so to speak. The latest 'get rich quick' scheme that actually work. The video game industry is bigger than the movie and record industry combined. And I can guarantee that a big chunk of that comes from mmo's.

---
    Grammar nazi's. This one is for you.

• VortigonVortigon Member UncommonPosts: 723

You can spend more than that with a meal and a few beers.  Really its not a big price to pay compared to ANYTHING else you care to name.

Think about it, you can pay that for a single player game, that you will probably complete in 2 weeks, you really have no argument.

At the end of the day if the majority of people were unhappy paying that price and refused then the company would not charge that amount. 

You are in the minority, and your decision not to pay that will effect no-one but you, it won't change a thing and it certainly won't change the mind of the companies involved.

Originally posted by Housam

what do people male out as if playing ann mmo is a huge investment....OMG....IT $60 + SUB

As most of us are adults (or at least I would assume) we probably all have many bills - a mortgage, car payment, phone payment, etc, nevermind if we have kids or not. Sometimes $60 bucks is a lot of money, especially if you don't get more then 1 month of use out of that game.

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

It's not just about the money, it's about supporting and voting that a game is good when it clearly isn't.

PS: anything you pay for is a vote as far as game devs care.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• VortigonVortigon Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by paulscott

It's not just about the money, it's about supporting and voting that a game is good when it clearly isn't.
    PS: anything you pay for is a vote as far as game devs care.

But its your decision as to whether you want to pay or not, and its you decision whether you continue paying.

If you don't like a game dont pay for it.  If other people continue to pay for a game then they must like the game and think its worth the money.

Originally posted by Suvroc

As most of us are adults (or at least I would assume) we probably all have many bills - a mortgage, car payment, phone payment, etc, nevermind if we have kids or not. Sometimes $60 bucks is a lot of money, especially if you don't get more then 1 month of use out of that game.

if your really struggling with the bills then just done play...don't go complaining about it to the world

and save up..its what you probably tell to kids who wanna play an mmo...

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Thats true, but OTOH if people simply want to check out a game, its reasonable that they dont want to pay for it blindly.

For some people that is a lot of money. 

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

NCsoft seems to keep their Guild Wars running and updated with out a monthly fee.
    Which would be possible for WoW as well. And thats already the complete list of MMOs that are big and successful enough to do it this way.

For some people that is a lot of money. 

then don't play an mmo..simple as...

• Sam123jo0123Sam123jo0123 Member Posts: 409

Yup, for some people with a wife and kids (LEECHERS) - it can be alot of cash if they're only make enough to feed the family.

Account has been stolen, why would someone want to steal my account?

• mrudismrudis Member Posts: 26

Um... do you play other games as well?  They all cost $50 or $60 too... and they frequently only last a month or two before you stop playing them.  That's why they give you 1 month 'free' with the game client.  If you don't like it after a month, stop playing it and don't pay the monthly fees.

You've got the same chance with a regular game that you bought a piece of junk too.  Just like one of the above posters said, read the reviews before purchasing.  Heck, you're lucky if they give you a free trial... not a lot of other games do that.

Another way to think of it... assume the average game you buy has a real useful play-life of 2 months.  You pay $60 every 2 months to keep you entertained.  An good MMO (not saying there is really one out that for me, but that's a different discussion) costs $65 for the first 2 months and $30 every two months.  That's cheaper than buying a new regular game every two months.

It is amazing to me how many people nowadays expect everything for free or nearly free.  I sound like some grandpa saying, "Back in my day sonny..."

Originally posted by Adamantine

NCsoft seems to keep their Guild Wars running and updated with out a monthly fee.
    Which would be possible for WoW as well. And thats already the complete list of MMOs that are big and successful enough to do it this way.

guild wars only have little servers...only the towns...so its CHEAAAAAP to run

if your really struggling with the bills then just done play...don't go complaining about it to the world

He wasn't complaiming about it to the world . He was pointing out the 60+sub can be a lot of money for some people in response to your post. I make plenty of money but I do not think 60+sub is chump change. It will not make or break my month but it is more then pocket change for many. In the case of WoW it would be $240 a year.

Who said I was struggling, and who said I don't "save up". I'd just rather take the $60 I would spend on another game and put it to a more satisifactory use - like saving it.

• Sam123jo0123Sam123jo0123 Member Posts: 409

Who said I was struggling, and who said I don't "save up". I'd just rather take the $60 I would spend on another game and put it to a more satisifactory use - like saving it.

If you don't enjoy mmos enough to pay, don't play.

Account has been stolen, why would someone want to steal my account?

This discussion has been closed.