Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

feedback from current players

reploidxreploidx Member UncommonPosts: 320

I've been looking this game over and was wandering about it. I'm a little afraid to download it with what everyone is saying about the game.

So i was wandering if people can post on this thread about the pros and cons of the game. Please don't start a flame war, or troll the heck out of this thread, i really am thinking of joining this game and i just want to know basic facts and stories from players who still play, or who used to play

Thank you

Comments

• agh50agh50 Member Posts: 124

First the bad news.

Well, let's not mince any words.  DnL as a front line MMO, or even as a 'pay to play' MMO, cannot pass muster.

It has MAJOR stability and performance problems.  Content, (past level 30 or so), is virtually non-existent; other than what the palyers themselves can generate;  which, (though impressive and representative of a truly Heraculean effort  by both GMs and veteran players), simply is insufficient..

Indeed, many players, (perhaps 20-25%), simply cannot get the game to download properly and play (despite a *very* helpful and suppoertive player base).

Finally, the parent company has a terrible reputation of  billing players whose accounts were closed (when it was still a pay to play game), of *terrible* ,(read NO), customer support, and of dishonest trade paractices.

A long on-going law suit between the company and a previous employee over the ownership of the game's basic graphic engine has been going against Farlan, and may possibly result in the game being shut down sometime this coming fall.

Now the good news.

The player base is very mature and extremely tolerant and helpful for new players.  Veteran players go out of their way to mentor new players on basic game mechanics and character development.

Players on different factions generally are quite civil and respectful, and are willing to work out their differences both on the forums and in game.  Not that there aren't disagreements, or that harsh words are never spoken;  but compared to other games it is truly remarkable how well the players all manage to 'pull in the same direction'

The game has features you simply will not find in other games.  Flying mounts, snowboadring parachuting and hang gliders.  Even with the lack of content it is a truly unique experience for those that try it for the first time.

The size of the world simply defies description.  It only has 5 (out of a total of thirteen) kingdoms which are accessible to players, yet even that reduced number absolutely dwarfs all othe games. 

When you log in, (IF you can log in), you *feel* as if you are truly in a real world.  See that mountain off to the south?.  Head off in that direction.  An hour later you *may* be halfway there; but probably not.

But there is a well functioning and unique transportation system that can get you across Ganareth's vastness in a reasonable amount of time.

I recommend to one and all that they try to download and log in.  It is free to play, with no restrictions, and *every* MMO gamer should be required to experience what a truly immense world *feels* like.

The problem is that with an extremely small player base set in an extremely vast world that is lacking in content, (other than grinding), it becomes a vast empty world.

The crafting system is good, but like all else, is rough and unpolished, and suffers from the lack of a player 'bazaar' for the easy buying and selling of goods.

Bottom line:

Try it.  If you can download and play with a minimum of problems, stick with it for a month.  By that time you will have experienced both the good and bad of DnL.  At that point either move on, or keep it as a 'fall-back' game for those times when you front line MMO is undergoing a patch or server maintainence.

Hope that helps.

• boognish75boognish75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,540

I would like to add that if you have newer ati cards you will want to roll back an older driver for it you can also try omega drivers, i just installed an older ati driver and it runs good aside from its normal lag , well feedback, i am havbing fun so far, i really like games that are seemless and have no instances, from what i hear the pvp is cool if you participate in it, building forts and what not, the questing is ok, from the start it takes you through the beggining of the storyline fairly well while showing you how to play all 3 spheres of the game in a fun way, all i can say is give it a try and give me a shout ingame, my name is aprille im on the dark side.

playing eq2 and two worlds

• green13green13 Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

I'd try it just for the amusing mistranslations.

I still remember one of the first quest dudes responding to my turning in his quest with what sounded like an invitation for a private liaison later.

I think they intended for him to say 'come back and check me for quests later' but that ain't how it came out...

• boognish75boognish75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,540

yeah i really wish i had played this from the start so i could know what all the vets and people that played at the beggining are talking about lol, i just started 3 days ago so i dont have anything to compare to a before , i can only tell you how i like it now, and i like it, oh btw which npc talked? i havent had any talk to me yet just a chat bubble i can read but no voiceovers, I love the parachuting and hang gliding, i also like how one can mix and match carrweers and jobs and such, i have always liked seemless games like this,  saga of ryzom, vanguard and on a very rare occasion ill jump into eve, but as of now in dark and light I am enjoying it, So much so I am pulling some people from the vanguard guild im in to play in dark and light.

playing eq2 and two worlds

• CharlizdCharlizd Member UncommonPosts: 923

i too have been playing this game for a while now and am enjoying it it is sad what is happening in the background with all the lawsuits cause this game could have been a big contender in the market i would suggest getting into a guild as quickly as possible so you can get all the answers you need i am an Australian am in an mainly German guild but all speak fluent english and are such nice people in general every time i log in i have to try to squeeze in a hello between all the guild members, the fort sieges are afun i have only participated in 1 and got my butt wooped but it was good to see  how it all went down we had people from all guilds trying to stop the dark invasion but unfortunately we were outnumbered greatly and lost but heck we returned that favour to them later that night hehe i would say give it a go you have nothing to lose as it is free.

Andrew "Charlizd" Phippen | Lead World Builder | The Saga of Lucimia MMORPG