Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Denying VWORLD Terrain info again

1151617181921»

Comments

• agh50agh50 Member Posts: 124

BadT;

Aye, perhaps it doesn't change much.

But who, (in the end ), wins and who loses? And I am not talking about the proprietary rights to the Mafate engine. 

In truth, it seems that Mafate / VWorld / (whatever) seemless world concept  was visionary 5-6 years ago.

However, though the concept may still remain 'cutting edge', the early ventures into that technology are now very dated.

Even if Farlan won the legal case against Pix, (or vice versa), the game, it's systems, it's graphics, it's UI, etc. are all years behind now.  Maybe not *quite* a problem for a 'free to play' as it would be for a 'pay to play', but hardly front end.

Pix says VWorld technology is still at the edge of new development.  Farlan claims they have an 'updated' Mafate engine.  Other than DnL, what gane uses this 'cutting edge'  technology?

And, (although I do hope that justice prevails), from a purely selfish point of view, I see very little good for MMOs in general coming from this debacle.

The harsh criticisms DnL has had here on these forums (as a game), are overstated (IMHO).  The criticisms about the business and ethical practices of the parent company are maybe not so overstated.

If Pix wins and puts Farlan out of business and shuts down DnL, who wins , (other than M. Pourieux)?

Justice may have been served, but has this whole affair had any positive aspects for MMOs as a whole?

Well, it certainly is a cautionary tale for other companies, (vis-a-vie their business practices), as an example of what *not* to do;  but it also re-enforces the natural business conservativism of companies *not* to mess with an established, proven model for MMOs (If it ain't broke, then don't fix it).

The whole affair stinks like yesterday's diapers.

• CholaynaCholayna Member Posts: 1,604

Honestly Agh50, the MMO community WOULD win. One more sleazy corrupt company out on the curb. The MMO industry doesnt need people like Farlan and NPC