Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Be honest with me... is the game declining?

13»

Comments

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Originally posted by Techleo

I'm curious, since they aren't putting in the planned raids does that mean there focusing there energy into aspects that other portions of the gaming community will enjoy? I for one wouldn't mind if there wasn't much raid content since I belong to a rather different portion of the community. Also has any aspect of the testing community become MORE interested in the game due to the lack of Raiding?

The new content coming in book 13 is mostly solo, small party content. 

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• DruzDruz Member Posts: 276
    Originally posted by Yeebo

I'm curious, since they aren't putting in the planned raids does that mean there focusing there energy into aspects that other portions of the gaming community will enjoy? I for one wouldn't mind if there wasn't much raid content since I belong to a rather different portion of the community. Also has any aspect of the testing community become MORE interested in the game due to the lack of Raiding?

The new content coming in book 13 is mostly solo, small party content.  I personally don't give a rat's behind about hardcore raiding either.  I have done the Rift a few times, but I certainly have no intention of running it enough times to get all my gear.  I fill in when my guild needs me and that's about it (though I am in the first round of invites if I'm on).

The idea is to run it until its no longer a challenge, the gear makes no difference

Not to get into the christmass themed debate going on up there, but I would imagine that a super hardcore raiding KS would get bored with LoTRO pretty quick.  There's only two "true" raids, and no more coming down the pipe at least until book 14, maybe not until MoM. 

Moderate-to-casual raiding KSs seem to be are doing fine, on the other hand (at least on my server). 

Mine raids at least 3 nights a week, maybe up to 6 times a week depending on exactly what content you count.   So we certainly are a raiding guild, even if not a super hardcore one.  Most of the 50s in my guild have been playing since close to launch (quite a few of us were in even in open beta), and no-one is going anywhere.  The KS continues to steadilly grow.  The same is true of the one that I was in before my current one.

You raid 3 nights a week, and you don't see how it will be a problem running the same ones for 6 months?

I actually like the the super hardcore "had every one in full rift gear a month after it launched" players aren't hanging around.  Because now we finally have firm proof that the arrogant tripe those shut ins used to spout about "this game would die without hardcore raiding guilds" back in the days of EQ is complete and utter BS.  LoTRO is thriving without them. 

I don't think there is any KS in LOTRO that would fit your quotes, I think you've been jaded by EQ :p

Meanwhile EQ has the most stupedly hardcore raiding game you could ever hope for.  It makes WoW's raiding look like it was designed for mentally challenged five year olds.  And it's slowly dwindling.   It all warms the cockles of my heart.

• dragonacedragonace Member UncommonPosts: 1,185

Originally posted by Druz

Originally posted by joeyboots

I heard from some friends of mine who play this title, that they didn't leave, but are taking a break from the game, due to the current lack of content (they said they had done everything and were bored).
    As a person who isn't very familiar with this game, is it true there isn't much to do for the higher level players right now? Hasn't this game had like 12 Books (expansions) so far? I mean from the sound of that, it just sounds like they have a crapload of content. Is this not the case?

There is a crap load of content.. when the new books started coming out after launch they focused on 30+.. those who had already hit 50 were obviously not in the level range for the majority of the content. The last book or 2 have had mostly level 50 quests but by now they have easily been done.

I'm not entirely sure which book was the first update after launch but I am thinking the 7th or 8th book as the first update.. so there hasn't been 12 updates but more like 4-5 which is still A LOT for free.

If you stayed at the upper teir of the game for a while there isn't much to do right now, if you just get to 50 then there is PLENTY to do until the next book

Speaking of the next book, the next 2 books are focusing on level 50's, and then moria in 6 months increasing the level cap

So I can see why they would wait until the next book to play but it doesn't mean that there was nothing to do at 50 when they got there.. only that this game has been out for a year and they've gotten through it

Book 9 was the first free content released.  The game was released with Books 1-8.  A couple months after release they did Book 9 which included Evendim (and maybe Helegrod?  I can't remember... was that in at the beginning?).   Here is a link to a site which has a theory on the timelines for Content releases for LoTRo. 

He goes back and edits it to what was actually released so to see what came out with Books 9-12, just look at the summary for that book. 

www.visionsofthering.com/expac_timeline.shtml

For instance, we can see that Book 10 brought us Annuminas, then Book 11 brought The Rift.

• dragonacedragonace Member UncommonPosts: 1,185

Here is a list of the features they are planning for Book 13... Book 14 has yet to be announced what will (or will not) be included.

From this site:  community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php

• New area called Forochel
    • A new race called the Lossoth
    • Fishing / Ice-fishing 
    • most of book 13 takes place in Forochel
    • public level 50 hunting dungeon
    • deeds and monster camps for level 50 players
    • Forochel is a mostly solo play experience for players levels 44-50
    • three new unique armor sets
    • will encounter a famous lore character in Forochel
    • There will be lots to do from the low 40s on up
    • a new mount variant in Forochel
    • a new damage type - frost (with ways to mitigate it)
    • Reputation-gated Swift Travel Routes
    • more ranks in existing virtues will be available
    • Players will be getting cold weather armor sets
    • a new lore-master pet variant will be available
    • The Lossoth capitol village is a little bit bigger than Aughaire
    • The main point of access (and the only one initially available to players) is from Evendim
    • Forochel will have its own unique music
    • Eleven chapters for Book 13, but some chapters have multiple parts. The epic quest line has sixteen quests in it.
    • The Mustering Horn is a new component to the various Campsites found on landscape. Anywhere with a bindable campfire will have a Mustering Horn as well. It isn't a player inventory item.
    • the weather and creatures of Forochel are capable of doing long-lasting bad things to you and you will be able to counter those bad things by huddling up to the various scattered sources of warmth in the region
    • Lossoth NPcs will be able to skate and push sleds along
    • new tech for Book 13 that will allow us to set (or randomize) the appearance of the horse you travel on
    • a very cool new blizzard effect for use in Forochel (and other wintry locations)
    • Re-vamping all 3 Annuminas instances
  • YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Druz

The idea is to run it until its no longer a challenge, the gear makes no difference

If that's really how you feel you are are rare exception among serious raiders.  I don't happen to enjoy raiding very much (as I'm sure the tenor of my post communicated), but i wouldn't mind more raids being put in if the gear you got didn't completely invalidate crafted gear, group quest gear, and PvP gear. 
    I suspect that the reason that Turbine backed off of putting in more raid content is that they crunched the numbers and discovered that the average player (even one at 50) hasn't done much raiding.  We can only guess.  However I do know from interviews that they Turbine collects a lot of data in game and tries to cater development effort towards what the average player seems to enjoy, rather than force the average player into a particular play style.   I personally think it's a refreshing design philosophy. 

You raid 3 nights a week, and you don't see how it will be a problem running the same ones for 6 months?
    Heck no, my KS raids three nights a week, not me  Two rift runs, one Helgerod.  Almost no-one goes on every run.  I run about two raids a month.  Maybe, three a month if I'm feeling frisky. 

We have critical mass for raiding, and it's there for the KS members that are in to it, but it isn't our main focus.  None of us are really hardcore raiders, we wouldn't be playing LoTRO if we were.    So yeah, for us  it's fine.
    I actually like the the super hardcore "had every one in full rift gear a month after it launched" players aren't hanging around.  Because now we finally have firm proof that the arrogant tripe those shut ins used to spout about "this game would die without hardcore raiding guilds" back in the days of EQ is complete and utter BS.  LoTRO is thriving without them. 
    I don't think there is any KS in LOTRO that would fit your quotes, I think you've been jaded by EQ :p
    There were a few around launch, but most of those guys left (not coincidentally I suspect) within a few weeks or months of the Rift launch.  Agreed, KS of that style are few and far between these days to be sure. 
    And yeah, I got pretty jaded by EQ :-) 

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

Thanks for the responses Druz All in all I'm very excited to see whats coming. I just started a new character with a friend of mind and were duoing a captain and a guardian to do the Forochel and Evendim content with each other. Sorta going the other direction with my Burglar.

• nemo38nemo38 Member Posts: 143

Well I'm glad to see its improving. I left right after they added player housing. It was just too hard to find groups if you were not in a fellowship.  There are alot of good things going on with this game though so if AOC doesn't grab me i might give it another go.

• Eol-Eol- Member UncommonPosts: 274

I havent noticed a decline (Landroval server). In fact I see more new players, more than I have seen since the game was released. But I also see level 50s who quit playing their main and re-roll because they run out of things to do (especially the folks who dont like Monster Play or raids). So I guess I have seen people coming AND going.

But you will always have that in a game. I remember one guild in DAoC announcing they were quitting the game because they had 'accomplished everything there was to accomplish'. This was maybe three months after release, when Mythic was just adding Darkness Falls and finishing itemizing the dungeons, and people were hitting level 50 and starting to play in the frontier more. And here this guild was leaving because they had 'accomplished everything there was to accomplish'. LOL

Elladan - ESO (AD)
    Camring - SWTOR (Ebon Hawk)
    Eol & Justinian - Rift (Faeblight)
    Ceol and Duri - LotRO (Landroval)
    Kili - WoW
    Eol - Lineage 2
    Camring - SWG
    Justinian (Nimue), Camring - DAoC