Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suggest appropraite RPG for a 10 year old?

I would appreciate some input, or your knowledge, where age recomendations can be found and sorted for the online RPG games. Age recommendations do not appear in the site games list.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• EchelonsEchelons Member Posts: 80

The problem with MMORPG's is that despite the game play and what goes on in the game with the interaction between a player and the game's NPC's is that you aren't alone.  No matter what game you play there will always be someone in there willing to cross a line whether it be something as simple as cursing, or something as appalling as racism/sexism.

But, as far as MMORPG's content goes, there are actually games geared towards kids, one comes to mind - Toontown, its geared towards children, and is actually free to play, no subscription fee.   If you're looking for a more substantial game with a larger player base then as much as I hate to recommend it - World of Warcraft.  With the large community you'll find a large amount of douche baggery, but the fact is its popular because its a simple game, that manages to be easy while simultaneously offering a challenge.

• saniceksanicek Member UncommonPosts: 368

Also there is a Hello Kitty online to become available soon-ish I think. www.hellokittyonline.com

Subscribtions: EVE, SWTOR WOW, WAR, DDO, VG, AOC, COV, FFXI, GW, RFO, Aion
    +plenty of F2P, betas, trials

Female Dwarf player: WOW, VG, WAR, DDO
    Due to the recent economic crisis and spending cuts the light at the end of the tunnel was turned off. Sincerely, God.

• M-ToeM-Toe Member Posts: 12

I would recommend Runescape linky.  It is a game that can be played in the internet browser, so it doesn't require you to download a client to play it and it can be played on almost any computer that was made after 1995. It is free to play, but if you choose to you can pay $5 a month for the members version (larger map, more quests, more items, and opens up a few more skills). It provides a wide variety of skills and options. I like to call it the "gateway MMO", because i think it gives a pretty good overview of the many MMO concepts (combat, questing, secondary skills, etc.). 

However, as Echelons said, there are always those people that like to cross that certain line, by introducing suggestive themes or language that parents would rather their children not know, but Jagex, the developers, does what they can to prevent that.  They have a pretty good language blocker (shows "douche bag" as "****** bag").

This is just my opinion about the game though. Check it out for yourself and you determine if it is good for your kids.

• dodsfalldodsfall Member UncommonPosts: 173

Most games carry the "T" rating, but the ESRB does not rate online content for obvious reasons.

Expect exposure to bad language and bad behaviour in any online game.  The lowest common denominator will always find a way to show themselves.

The majority of games will have their rating clearly displayed on the retail box or the official website.

• SoaraSoara Member UncommonPosts: 78

Hmm I'd say besides these replies, I definately LOVED runescape from age 10-14. That's just me though.

I would DEFINATELY stay away from World of Warcraft.

Other good ones include Pirates of the Carribean online and Anarchy Online

Star Wars Galaxies has a wonderful community and just brilliant to get into especially if youre into Star Wars. 

as does Anarchy Online and i THINK City of Heroes (which has a very good theme I think 10 year olds would love).

(assuming at that age you don't complain like other people about content and graphics etc).

• EchelonsEchelons Member Posts: 80
    Originally posted by Soara

Hmm I'd say besides these replies, I definately LOVED runescape from age 10-14. That's just me though.
    I would DEFINATELY stay away from World of Warcraft.

Other good ones include Pirates of the Carribean online and Anarchy Online

Star Wars Galaxies has a wonderful community and just brilliant to get into especially if youre into Star Wars. 

as does Anarchy Online and i THINK City of Heroes (which has a very good theme I think 10 year olds would love).

(assuming at that age you don't complain like other people about content and graphics etc).

I didn't even think about City of Heroes, that would be a prime choice.  The short period I played I didn't encounter much if any bad situations with other players.  The content is great, and it should be easy enough for a 10 year old.

• SoaraSoara Member UncommonPosts: 78

aye :D

• I would suggest maple story but im pretty sure he would end up stealing money from you for nexon cash lol jk

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

amazing that there has been no immature posts flaming the OP.

i suggest Runescape.  Guild wars is another good one (as u are by yourself for quite some time) but the language and intellectual level is a wee bit high for a 10 year old.  i say give it a shot and see if u enjoy it.

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• ZharreZharre Member UncommonPosts: 80

I'll also chime in for City of Heroes/Villains. This is a great post from the CoX forums that you might find interesting:
    What My Six Year Old Has Learned From CoX

It's worth keeping in mind. :)

• LilaluLilalu Member Posts: 68

My view may not be very popular, but I´d never allow my children to play an online-RPG at that age.

It´s not the games, but the other players, who may be dangerous for children. While most people on the internet are nice, many are not and some my even be dangerous for children. Some may even choose the more "childish" games to get in contact with children. And while they never might meet your children in real life also online experiences can be very disturbing for children.

There is not one provider of internet games, who is able to control at all times, what is going on on it´s servers.

I´d recommend single-player games, with a multiplayer function. This way the children can play only with a small group of friends via the internet. There are not tousends of other players, you do not know. The children can play with their friends and you know, who they play with.

Also such a game is less complex and therefore more fun for a 10 year old.

I just don´t know a game with multiplayer and grafics and gameplay which children might enjoy. Maybe someone else here does?

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Originally posted by Death1942

amazing that there has been no immature posts flaming the OP.

i suggest Runescape.  Guild wars is another good one (as u are by yourself for quite some time) but the language and intellectual level is a wee bit high for a 10 year old.  i say give it a shot and see if u enjoy it.
    Runescape for a 10 year old? Are you serious? "Hi, kan iz b ur frnd? cyborz plz?"

The only game I would suggest would be Toon Town Online. Why? Because you cannot type and talk directly to other players, you use pre-formed phrases and e-motes. No chance for sicko pervs.

• cellmarttcellmartt Member Posts: 2

Sure City of Heroes.

• jaskaujaskau Member Posts: 13

Pirates of the Carribean Online is very tween friendly and its free. Also, it is like Toontown Online (but for an older child) where you as the parent can control how much interaction your child has with other players.

• KilnuKilnu Member UncommonPosts: 52

In my opinion there probably isn't an acceptable MMO for a 10 year old.  The ratings on the games don't really matter, its the people in the games.  There are way too many wierd people, and pervs out there for me to suggest one. 

• thorwoodthorwood Member Posts: 485

City of Heroes is fun.  It is not free, but there may still be a free trial.

FLYFF  (Fly for Free) is  a fun game with cute graphics.  It's also free to play. 

If you are concerned about profanity, I would avoid World of Warcraft.  Players frequently mis-spell words so that it bypasses the profanity filter.

If you have not already done so,  you will need to set some ground rules and supervise as online games have have additional risks.  Everyone online who is not a real life friend is a stranger.

• kawen12309kawen12309 Member Posts: 1

i think this problem is very important,player hope it can be happy in the games.

• martines6622martines6622 Member Posts: 3

I would like to recommend you to play Wonderland Online

• rcorvinrcorvin Member Posts: 21

I'm going to have to chime in my support for City of Heroes/Villains.

Although you're still going to encounter a fair few disagreeable people in it, the fact of the matter is that... in MY experience at least, it has one of the best communities that you could hope for in an MMO. It also has an extremely paranoid swear filter, so most things won't be slipping through the cracks, as it were.

That said, no matter what you do you're taking a gamble letting a 10 year old play an MMO. I started with EverQuest around that age, m'self - and while I'm certainly not one of the obnoxious trolls you find in most MMOs, even when I'm trying to keep my language "kid-friendly" I drop nasty words without thinking about it when I'm playing WoW, particularly if a situation goes sour.

• TriangelTriangel Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by Kilnu

In my opinion there probably isn't an acceptable MMO for a 10 year old.  The ratings on the games don't really matter, its the people in the games.  There are way too many wierd people, and pervs out there for me to suggest one. 
    i think so too. just due to this factor, it's unsuitable for a young guy to prematurely touch a large and cruel situation/small society...it will affect his concepttion for everything...please  be caution..

• phatpeteyphatpetey Member Posts: 323

I would say runescape and maplestory !

• airstrikeairstrike Member UncommonPosts: 373

I suggest hello kitty ,other mmos have alot of immature people playing.

Tbh tho,no offense OP,but shielding children above 8 from swearing and  violence on TV,in games etc will only hurt your child,because when they will finaly go outside when they are older they will be shocked of the harsh reality of the world,it's better to be prepared for it then to live in your own world where everyone is friendly and politicly correct and then see the true world for what it is.That 's is just my oppinion tho.

Originally posted by airstrike

I suggest hello kitty ,other mmos have alot of immature people playing.
       Tbh tho,no offense OP,but shielding children above 8 from swearing and  violence on TV,in games etc will only hurt your child,because when they will finaly go outside when they are older they will be shocked of the harsh reality of the world,it's better to be prepared for it then to live in your own world where everyone is friendly and politicly correct and then see the true world for what it is.That 's is just my oppinion tho.

If the kid goes to any public school, he's not being shielded from anything as far as cursing goes. The problem in mmos ( and any online game ) are the sicko perverts who will want to "cybor". And that is why 8-10 year olds should not be playing most online games that have any sort of free chat function.

That's why the ONLY mmo I will recommend for a child is ToonTown, and that's because there is no free typing allowed. You have to communicate with preformed phrases and words only.

Originally posted by AngelXin

i think it depends the child himself...if he wants to play games, maybe we couldn't completely stop him...just could suggest him to play the pieceful style games...on the other side, if he is not interested in games, we also couldn't request him to do so...

You don't "request" your child to do anything, you tell them. You don't just hand them your credit card or cash to buy games or anything else unless you know what they are buying. Until the kid is 18, his/her rules are whatever you say they are. This is what is wrong with alot of parents today, they don't care as long as the kid isn't bothering them.

• cabal001cabal001 Member Posts: 166

i'd have to say dream of mirror online. very nice community for a free to play game. old computers can run it, free,pretty good selection of choices for your character, etc. and when i tested it didn't see any foul language...and don't think that community would tolerate it.

arguing with a corporate fanboi is like teaching special education.
    even if you teach him something...at the end of the day he's still retarded.