Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buring Crusade Expansion question

Sieges111Sieges111 Member Posts: 120

Does the retail copy of the Burning Crusade expansion have a code inside the box that you enter in your account screen to upgrade your account (similar to the code that the base World of Warcraft copy has)?

Or does your account upgrade simply by installing the retail CD?

Comments

• HousamHousam Member Posts: 1,460

it has an activation code :)

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

A code, but the code does not give you 30 days of game play if you wanted to know that too.

• Sieges111Sieges111 Member Posts: 120

Thanks for the info guys.

It looks like it costs $29 to upgrade online vs. Wal-Mart selling the expansion for about $20. That is kind of weird that it would be cheaper to buy physical media.

EDIT: the online walmart store lists it as $29, as well. But when I went to the real store, I saw it for about $20. I'll have to double check.

One more question: does the expansion just install over/into the existing WoW install? Or will I have a totally separate icon to launch the upgraded game?

Thanks

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

Originally posted by Sieges
    One more question: does the expansion just install over/into the existing WoW install? Or will I have a totally separate icon to launch the upgraded game?
    Thanks

Just integrates with the existing game, essentially the original becomes BC, so same icon to launch :)

Have fun.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• Sieges111Sieges111 Member Posts: 120

Ok, one more question about BC:

I downloaded the files for World of Warcraft (sans BC). Then I upgraded online - no retail package. I figure if I reinstall on a different PC, I can just re-download.

What happens if I upgrade to BC online and download the files and need to reinstall to a new PC later? Will the install files continue to be available online?

Thanks!

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

What happens if I upgrade to BC online and download the files and need to reinstall to a new PC later? Will the install files continue to be available online?
    Thanks!

All i can say to that one is that the files should be available as long as WoW is still running. As i haven't done the online installation myself i don't know whether it is a "download & install" or an "incramental installation" but if it is the former it would of course be worth making a backup to DVD, multiple CD or memory card to make any future installations easier.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138

Ok, one more question about BC:
    I downloaded the files for World of Warcraft (sans BC). Then I upgraded online - no retail package. I figure if I reinstall on a different PC, I can just re-download.
    Thanks!

Yes.  You can download the game client by logging into your account.  Just go to www.worldofwarcraft.com and click on manage account and log in.  Once you are logged in there are several different things you can do including downloading the client.  You can change charater names, move characters from one server to another, send someone a scroll of ressurection, check your payment history and so on and so forth.  Check it out.