Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

fishing coming in gu5!!

ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

I'm a fan of fishing in game so I saw this and got pretty happy..

"I'm working on fishing right now, actually, and it should be in for GU5."

Wamtin

Senior Programmer

Vanguard

---
Ethion

Comments

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

Originally posted by ethion

Wamtin

Senior Programmer

Vanguard

What does this mean?

Is it time to add fluff and polish?

I'm looking forward to see how they do the fishing part.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

Originally posted by Orphes

Wamtin

Senior Programmer

Vanguard

What does this mean?

We got boats and no fishing... thats a rather huge game element that is missing.  I'm gonna start composing some whining posts for the official forums complaining that we need beer and the ability to get drunk.

It is always time to add fluff and polish.  Sometimes it is the little things that make all the difference in the world.  Warntin hinted that fishing would be something fun or more then just clicking a button but also not clicking on the bobber...

In any event I think it will be a nice feature :)

---
    Ethion

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553

Yeah, the little bonuses are always nice surprises.  The ability to sit in chairs and lay on beds was something that took a tiny bit a developer time, but had a nice affect on the game.

• elf8blisself8bliss Member UncommonPosts: 304

Nice. Now I get go fishing on boat excursion in the sea.

• MilkyMilky Member Posts: 339

Wamtin

Senior Programmer

Vanguard

What does this mean?

It means fishing will be added in November.

• Fed1Fed1 Member Posts: 167

I really hope they continue to add more features like this. As opposed to some of the things in GU4

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

Originally posted by Milky

Wamtin

Senior Programmer

Vanguard

What does this mean?

Wow, that's a long time between updates.  Do they only update this game twice a year??

• morpinmorpin Member Posts: 360

Last year they had something like 27 updates:

http://forums.station.sony.com/vg/forums/show.m?forum_id=39

Now they seem to update every month to 6 weeks.  I would expect the next update around late April early may.

Phantom has said they plan to do an update every 2 months will smaller patches between the updates to fix issues.

An update is something that adds new content and enhances the game (in some peoples opinions ;)

A patch is a fix to bugs

Since launch they have had more updated they the GU thing really implies cause sigil didn't have a good process and was scrambling to put stuff out.  They were adding content I think almost monthly but unfortunately also like a bull in a china factory creating new bugs and issues with every patch...

---
    Ethion

Originally posted by Deathstrike2

Wamtin

Senior Programmer

Vanguard

What does this mean?

Wow, that's a long time between updates.  Do they only update this game twice a year??

During the first year of release, only 3 Game Updates were published.  Its quite pathetic really.

Originally posted by Deathstrike2

Wamtin

Senior Programmer

Vanguard

What does this mean?

During the first year of release, only 3 Game Updates were published.  Its quite pathetic really.

it would be but since that isn't accurate it isn't.  They didn't originally call the updates updates.  for the first several months they were throwing lots of content in with every patch.   It wasn't till sony took over that they really formalized the game update thing.  When sony took over there was a long time when only patching and bug fixes happened as they transitioned the team and reformed.  Now they are focused on a GU every 2 months.

---
    Ethion

"Now they are focused on a GU every 2 months."

Which they cannot deliver.  They are late by weeks and weeks every single time.  Phase 1 of GU4 was supposed to happen 2 weeks ago.

It is also 100 percent accurate that they have only published 3 Game Updates within the first year of release, and pathetic.  You're only kidding yourself if you belive otherwise.

• phc_docphc_doc Member Posts: 132

Which they cannot deliver.  They are late by weeks and weeks every single time.  Phase 1 of GU4 was supposed to happen 2 weeks ago.

It is also 100 percent accurate that they have only published 3 Game Updates within the first year of release, and pathetic.  You're only kidding yourself if you belive otherwise.

Technically accurate, but intentionally misleading.

yes they are a week late right now.  But to say they are week and weeks late every time is again an exageration they have just started this 1 Gu every two months so this the first one  where they set that target.  That said they have had trouble getting updates out as quick as they tought they would and it was with this one they tried to commit to a timetable which they are failing at.  But there has been a lot of controversy and I'm guessing some of that is causing the delays and frankly I'd prefer they make sure the update is solid and address as many issues as possible before putting it on live.  On the plus note the update frequency on test has been excellent, almost once per week.

---
    Ethion

For all the bitching about them not doing enough I think people don't realize how incomplete the game was at launch.  There were a ton of areas that exist in the game now that did not exist at launch.  There are so many major bugs that existed at launch that have been resolved you could spend a hour just writing them up.  And I'm talking about MAJOR bugs, things like falling though the world every time you ran up a mountain, or you group dropping when you chunk, not being able to add people to groups, crippling hitching that didn't go away, very low frame rates even on the best computers in town areas, memory leaking like a sieve, the UI causing crashing, just opening the map would sometimes crash you, flushing every 30 minutes to prevent a crash, crashing to desktop once an hour, no lfg system, no looking for guild system, no brotherhood system.

Really thats a list of the Major issues which I believe EVERY single one of them has been fixed, well the hitching is still there but it's NOTHING like it was on launch day.

YES sigil came out with a ton of updates.  They were adding content and stuff every month in a struggle to survive.  But they were also completely out of control and in many cases their updates created far more bugs then they fixed.

Today VG is very playable and works quite well.  Yes there are still some minor hitching issues, Yes they have changes some of the base rules of the game, Yes there are still some broken quests, and there are a few graphical content errors.  Buy this game as it is today is very competative with any production released game.  They all have their issues and even games like wow have broken content and various bugs. 

Sony is trying to smooth out the process and still trying to fix basic issues and some of the changes they are making will piss some people off.  Some of the changes will be a negative as they go through internal systems overhauls and try to redo things in the game that create some fundamental issues all the while trying to keep the game running and keep a steady flow of updates.

I see them doing updates with increasing frequency and trying to tighten up the process and schedule for updates.  I see far more use of test and the trend is a very positive one.

So anyone can say they don't like changes and I'm certain that many people will.  But one thing is clear and that is that they are working on the game and trying to make it better.  Unfortunately any time major changes are made there will always be a vocal community that will be yelling and upset.  But I think we can all agree that the game is not as successful as it needs to be.  The only way it will improve is to become better and that is going to mean changes.  

Fishing is a good change but certainly not the only one.  Fishing is something new and shows that they are still adding to the game not just statically fixing bugs.  For the game to success their must be a balance of bug fixing and adding new stuff that kinda raise the bar on what VG delivers.

VG is a very complex and deep game compared to any game on the market.  It does have a great foundation and a ton of potential.  They need to continue to work on growing the game and tapping into that potential if they are to garner enough subs to really push the development forward. 

Personally I think VG is the only game that Sony has right now that can compete with any of the new games coming.  Thats assuming they continue to push it and perhaps even accelerate or maybe decide to invest in the development of an expansion.  I think that compared to EQ2 the potential in VG is enormous and EQ2 while it has some great content will fall short in the long term.  They need to take some of the great content producers in eq2 and turn them loose on VG....

Anyway I'm going way overboard.  For anyone that actually reads this I hope you enjoyed my little rant....

---
    Ethion

just saw a post on the official forums...

Fishing will not be done in time to make it in GU5.  Fishing might be on test so people can test it with gu5 but it won't have all the content done in time for gu5.

One interesting thing is that the fish you get will vary depending on the depth of the water.  So yes fishing boats will be important :) so we will have a new use for boats.  It will take a large ship be needed to hunt whales!

---
    Ethion

• TautologyTautology Member Posts: 188

...  It will take a large ship be needed to hunt whales!

Posts like this one cause often following chain reactions:

Poster B: "I heard whales are coming to vanguard and you can hunt them"

Poster C: "Yeah, sure just wait and see, false promises again made by SOE"

After some weeks, fishing hit the test-server:

Poster D tested fishing on the test-server and posts here in mmorpg :"Fishing went life and is broken, still bugged, SIGIL cant do crap!"

After a couple of months or weeks after fishing hitting the  the life server:

Poster D:"All the flamers were right! Again SOE has lured players with lies! You cannot hunt whales"

The truth is, the developer never said whales could be hunt in Vanguard (besides, whales are not fish!) and that the code for fishing will be in a premature state.

The developer stated:

" Fishing is coming, though, sadly, I don't believe it will make it in for GU5.  I have a good portion of the code done, but it doesn't look like design is going to have time in the schedule to work on the content for it in order to make GU5.

I have been throwing around the idea of making what is currently done available on the test server to do a mechanics gameplay test in order to get some feedback on how it plays so far.  Would anyone be interested in jumping on the test server to test this at some point if I did make it available?

Oh, and by the way, depth of water matters regarding what type of fish you catch, and there will be some fish that can only be caught at depths that only medium ships (Caravels) can reach.  So, ships will get a bit of a usefulness boost in that regard."

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Originally posted by Tautology

...  It will take a large ship be needed to hunt whales!

Posts like this one cause often following chain reactions:

Poster B: "I heard whales are coming to vanguard and you can hunt them"

Poster C: "Yeah, sure just wait and see, false promises again made by SOE"

After some weeks, fishing hit the test-server:

Poster D tested fishing on the test-server and posts here in mmorpg :"Fishing went life and is broken, still bugged, SIGIL cant do crap!"

After a couple of months or weeks after fishing hitting the  the life server:

Poster D:"All the flamers were right! Again SOE has lured players with lies! You cannot hunt whales"

The truth is, the developer never said whales could be hunt in Vanguard (besides, whales are not fish!) and that the code for fishing will be in a premature state.

The developer stated:

" Fishing is coming, though, sadly, I don't believe it will make it in for GU5.  I have a good portion of the code done, but it doesn't look like design is going to have time in the schedule to work on the content for it in order to make GU5.

I have been throwing around the idea of making what is currently done available on the test server to do a mechanics gameplay test in order to get some feedback on how it plays so far.  Would anyone be interested in jumping on the test server to test this at some point if I did make it available?

Oh, and by the way, depth of water matters regarding what type of fish you catch, and there will be some fish that can only be caught at depths that only medium ships (Caravels) can reach.  So, ships will get a bit of a usefulness boost in that regard."

I completely agree with the point that forum communities are irrational at best but my main question is....

Who actually fishes in MMO's anyway?

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

What the *** is fishing in a MMO ?

An ability to be AFK with some animation or what ?

Fishing varies from game to game but generally it is some sort of mini game type thing that involved going to water, using a fishing pole and bait, to cast out and get random fish or junk like objects.  The casting can be a single button click or sometimes something more involved.

What purpose does it serve?  None other then role playing and the fun of getting some rare fish or object.  In some games fish are used for foods, or sometimes they can be mounted. 

What will fishing be in Vanguard?  We have no idea at this time other then 1. it will involve water, 2. you will be able to use your boat to fish in deeper water and get different types of fish.

---
    Ethion

I really don't care what the flamers think or what people want to read into things.  I don't care about flames that result from something I posted.  Flamers will find something to flame about no matter what you say.

The whales thing was a comment and not any statement of what is coming.  We don't know what type of fish their will be and while it is unlikely it isn't impossible that their will be whales :P  I personally love fishing and think it is a neat add on.

Thanks for posting the exact dev post

---
    Ethion

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

I really don't care what the flamers think or what people want to read into things.  I don't care about flames that result from something I posted.  Flamers will find something to flame about no matter what you say.
    The whales thing was a comment and not any statement of what is coming.  We don't know what type of fish their will be and while it is unlikely it isn't impossible that their will be whales :P  I personally love fishing and think it is a neat add on.
    Thanks for posting the exact dev post
    Its cool, I have nothing against "fishing" but honestly I would rather see something like ocean based adventuring giving the ships some actual use or enhancements to Diplomacy at this point.

We all have our wish list, you know how that goes lol.

• SpiritraiserSpiritraiser Member UncommonPosts: 175

Sooo... they fixed everything else in Vanguard and now they are working on fishing?!

Originally posted by Torak

Its cool, I have nothing against "fishing" but honestly I would rather see something like ocean based adventuring giving the ships some actual use or enhancements to Diplomacy at this point.

We all have our wish list, you know how that goes lol.

Don't get me wrong.  I think fishing is cool but certainly they need to do much more.  Fishing is just a cool little thing that isn't likely taking a lot of time since it is largely independent of other systems and for all we know it was already half built lying around in some archive.

I think having remote islands or areas that can only be accessed by boats would be very cool or even better sea monster type encounters at sea, or how about pirate ships roaming with groups of npcs randomly sailing the sea.  Maybe you would even get a treasure map.  Does anyone remember when VG had treasure maps?  Wouldn't it be too cool to have a sea encounter with a pirate ship, you kill the pirate leader and get a treasure map that you follow to some island and then overland and have dig up a chest!! In case you didn't know the whole treasure finding thing and maps was already in VG in beta.

Anyway don't get me started VG has sooo many potential things that could be done I almost loose my breath thinking about it and getting frustrated :P  I think soe should shut down eq2 and focus exclusively on VG esp if they really do have a fix for the hitching issue.

---
    Ethion

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553

Fishing will be a nice touch.