Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

new to VG

luftwaffe70luftwaffe70 Member UncommonPosts: 7

im new to vanguard, just started and need help on deciding on what character class to go with.

1st character i want will be for quest like dungeon running and fighting in groups perferably melee damage and the ability to self heal

2nd class will be my  money maker, resource gathering and crafting

can anyone give me some good templates to go by

and  also a lil pvp

thank you

Comments

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

When I played VG a lot of people made Bards for resource gathering and crafting. Able to solo well and get away when needed in a hurry.

As for self-healing and able to melee I fought along side some good paladins and clerics that were very good at combat. A lot of times noticed the cleric stealing the aggro more than the main tank and still be able to stand up to the mob.

I can't help you with PvP. Did not mess with it in VG.

Goodluck! VG is a lot of fun when you find a good group and do some dungeon crawls.

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

• openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582

I just started myself...and picked a Blood Mage to start,,,and have been ok up to level 10. Leveling is slow...thats for sure. The bard seems straight forward, and worth a try...but, when I started a Wood Elf I had no weapons to speak of...so, watch for that.

If you have not booted up either, be prepared for some issues...but, they can be worked through.

Check here for how my adventures went, with some good screenshots for higher end graphics..

Simple - n - Complex

Good luck and have fun

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

Originally posted by luftwaffe70

im new to vanguard, just started and need help on deciding on what character class to go with.
    1st character i want will be for quest like dungeon running and fighting in groups perferably melee damage and the ability to self heal
    2nd class will be my  money maker, resource gathering and crafting
    can anyone give me some good templates to go by
    and  also a lil pvp
    thank you
    Well sounds like your first character is a paladin by the description.

For the second one a bard or maybe a psyonist would be good.  Bard has run speed that will help and some crowd control when you want to put a mob on ice near something you want to harvest.  psyonist also has crowd control and has a run speed buf too but it isn't constant just for short times.

For crafting money making there are a number of things you could look at, bags are popular, horseshoes, and house/boat stuff.  So it kinda seems to me like most crafters have some niche where they can sell stuff and of course you can always make money just doing work orders.

---
    Ethion

• FischerBlackFischerBlack Member Posts: 573

Mellee damage that can self heal - my advice is DK

Dedicated crafter/harvester - defiinately a Bard 

• YukkioneYukkione Member Posts: 618

My main is a Bard and is easily the best harvester. Fast and has invis. I also have a nice Dread Knight fighter that can self heal and is fine for solo or group. I find the classes in VG to be quite well balanced and any of the fighter classes other than perhaps warrior will suit you just fine.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

1. Well thats a tough one.

I would have said Tank just like the others (DK or, if you really want to be lightsider, Paladin), but Tanks have a big problem for new players: They need best equipment, or they suck, especially in a group with players who already played for a longer time and HAVE best gear  - and a new player wont get best equipment too fast.

So I would say you're better off with a Ranger, even if their heals honestly suck. Or even a Disciple ? Those are full featured healers, but they also get a good melee dps going and they actually HAVE to hit the mob to heal. Also Bear Shaman is a possible choice, or Cleric - but dont expect high damage output from these later two.

2. Again I disagree.

Bard is a good choice for groups - in fact, an UBER good choice for groups. And of course the best harvester, hands down. BUT - Bards absolutely need a group to shine. Where you not talking about wanting to mostly solo him ?

So I would rather say a necromancer. Those are the probably best solists in the game - good dps and good tanking (thanks to their summon), quite some crowd control (snare, fear), can heal himself (drain health) and of course the summon, etc etc etc.

• NovaKayneNovaKayne Member Posts: 743

I have played just about all of the classes out there.  If you want to group alot I found the BARD to be the most group friendly and easiest class for Pick up Groups.  With a good Disciple or Cleric I have even tanked with my Bard up to level 24 currently.  Not the desired method but, the crowd control and pulling oiptions you get tends to lessen the multi-mob attacks and allow you to focus on one mob at a time.

If you want the solo aspect then I would suggest the Disciple or Cleric.  Good melee (although you will take time to chip through the mob) and the self heals is prettly kewl.  If you are solo alot I would suggest the Disciple mainly for the unique and interesting fighting style.  They are more fun than the cleric for solo, the clerics strenght is geared more towards groups with the buffs and melee.  Both classess are generally sought after for groups.

The Blood Mage used to be a good solo class(dunno if they still are) they have heals and casting speells.  Extremly squishy (cuz they are casters at heart).  One good thing is their heals depends on spell damage.  So you putr all of your resources (equipment and attrr) towards spell damage and you do better at healing.

The hardest classes to play (IMO) are the tank classes.  You need to have really good gear and to be fairly effective in groups you have to focus resources on holding aggro.  This tends to gimp you for soloing much.  I have not tried any since the latest revamp.  I just know tanking is harder in Vangurad for me  than any other MMO I have played.

Rangers, Necros, Mages, and Rogues make decent soloers but, they are squishy and if you miss more than once or twice on an attack it generally ends with you running for your life.  With the exception of the Necro all are sought after for their DPS.

Right now Vanguard seems to have most of the PC Population around some few areas that have multi tiered quests for decent sets of equipment.  While this is both good and bad it does tend to focus players on where to find groups easily.  The bqd part is there is a lot of content for the lower levels that is generally bypassed because of the "phat l00ts" being located in these areas. 

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.

• SailormoontwSailormoontw Member UncommonPosts: 33

You don't need two classes to do that. Your first class can be a harvester/crafter too.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Eh ?!? Why wouldnt the Necromancer be sought for their dps ??? They have pretty impressive dps, thank you very much. Not as extreme as the Sorcerer now, sure, but thats only fair considering the many, many extras Necromancers get over Sorcerers. Including one of the best Int buffs, fake death, and their ability to offtank with their summon.