Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oblivion vs Witcher (pros & cons?)

BlomiBlomi Member Posts: 200

Which one should I buy and why? :D

Comments

• dA_fReAKdA_fReAK Member Posts: 384

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Oblivion is overhyped crap. Witcher is a secret hit. Whereas Oblivion gives only one option to solve each quest, Witcher usually has more ways to deal with them. Obliviou could be a solid game, but the level scaling system is just horrific. You never feel like improving, because every stupid creep in game improves everytime you level up. Witcher is not a perfect game apparently either, but in compare to Oblivion it shines.

REALITY CHECK

• TheutusTheutus Member UncommonPosts: 636

Buy Oblivion then download the mods at this LINK.

Witcher has bad translations, weird graphics glitches and too many cut scenes.

With the correct mods Oblivion is a far superior game.

• BlomiBlomi Member Posts: 200

More opinions & info please.  I'm going to buy one of them in 2 hours.  I want  abig world that I can explore, I don't want it to be on rails.  I want to be a spell caster and I like the ability to create my character with the skills and attributes that I pick.  Right now I'm thinking oblivion, but I'd like to know more.

• samuraislyrsamuraislyr Member Posts: 122

If that's truly what you want, then Oblivion would be the way to go.

The witcher only has a few spells and for the most part they are not useful. The world is more linear as well compared to Oblivion.

The witcher is more of a story RPG that is pretty cool but it terms of what you want, Oblivion with it's less linear and large world that can be added to with the use of mods and more is the way to go.

• salamander13salamander13 Member Posts: 100

In Oblivion you can go anywhere in the world.. you can just wander off and do your own thing and never look  back at the main quest. The world is very huge.

In Oblivion you can be multiple races. each effects stats and has special powers unique to the race.

In Witcher  you play the main character. who is human.

In oblivion you can make your character look many different way at creation

In witcher you look like the main character.

In oblivion you can pick from a multitude of classes. Or pick parts of classes and put them all together to make a new class (that you name.)

In oblivion your skills go up if you use them .... run around jumping all the time and your athletic skill will go up. hit things with a sword and your blades skill will go up.. Cast a heal spell and your heal spell will go up... pick a lock, your lock pick skill goes up. Many many skills....

In Witcher you go up in level and get what you get at that level ... you just have to kill stuff / finish quests.

Witcher is played 3rd person view.

Oblivion is best played in first person view (you can play in 3rd person but its just not as good)

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396

I would highly recommend Oblivion, probably one of the best games I've played in a while (that's not multiplayer).  It was great for the 360, and probably wven better for the computer.

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718

WTF is witcher? Get Oblivion. Oblivion is just one of the best RPG's out there and so many hours of gameplay. Has to be one of the best X360 RPG's. I do think it's better than Mass Effect too, just for the fact that it's longer and more free roaming.

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• MizabMizab Member Posts: 149

Um I would get them both they are both really great games and have good points and bad points too each but I wouldn't have wanted to miss playing either. I had a lot of fun with both.

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

They are both really quite different RPG's.  Hard to compare so play them both.

For me though i enjoyed the Witcher more.  Oblivion just plain old bored the socks off me.  Think i lasted half an hour and called it quits.  If a game doesnt grab me in that time then it wont ever grab me.  The Witcher had me hooked in 5 minutes.

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Originally posted by Blomi

I tried Witcher.

I couldnt stand it. It just didn't catch on to me. I lost my interest in about 13 days with this game. I dont know...just didn't hold me down and grabbed my interest.

Matter of fact, its the only RPG I ever deleted from my Harddrive in a long time.  Others may love it, but it was nothing new to me I suppose.

With that said, I did have more fun with oblivion. Tons of quests in that game and you dont even have to touch the main game quests if you dont want to.

Only bad thing for me about Oblivion is the severe lack of voice actors...but then again, Witcher, suffered the same problems.

I would pick up oblivion, nine, and Shiv isles (same price as Witcher)

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• vickypollardvickypollard Member Posts: 305

Oblivion is the best RPG i've ever played and I love how it's realistic fantasy with a medieval feeling and doesn't go over the top, really just based on myths and stories from back in them days rather than ghey fantasy like warcraft or warhammer.

The witcher is a buggy annoying pos with the worst combat system ever!

• vickypollardvickypollard Member Posts: 305

Originally posted by Enigma

I tried Witcher.

I couldnt stand it. It just didn't catch on to me. I lost my interest in about 13 days with this game. I dont know...just didn't hold me down and grabbed my interest.

Matter of fact, its the only RPG I ever deleted from my Harddrive in a long time.  Others may love it, but it was nothing new to me I suppose.

With that said, I did have more fun with oblivion. Tons of quests in that game and you dont even have to touch the main game quests if you dont want to.

Only bad thing for me about Oblivion is the severe lack of voice actors...but then again, Witcher, suffered the same problems.

I would pick up oblivion, nine, and Shiv isles (same price as Witcher)

I don't think i've ever played a single player game for 13 days before lol so I think it kept you playing for long enough, for me I play them for about 10-15 hours which is how long the average game is or int he case of FPS games 5 lol.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

The witcher to me had better story and better interaction with NPCs as far as dialog in general went.

Oblivion has a more open world, and feels more like an unfinished mmorpg than a singleplayer game.

Both are good games, but The Witcher knocked Oblivion off its' pedestal in all around fun, at least for me. And I bought the uncensored U.K. version, so that was a plus.

• JadarJadar Member Posts: 300

The Witcher. Wait for the enhanced version they are working on. It has new dialog and voice acting for the English speaking market, as well as a better performing engine. It should be out in a month or two. If you can find a copy of Oblivion in the bargain bin get it too, but it's the same RPG you've probably played a dozen times already. It's pretty though and that seems to satisfy allot of people.

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718

One thing I couldnt stand is that they didn't give the Khajiit cat like sounds (during fighting) like in Morrowind. They sounded like everybody else so I do agree with Old Man.

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• anubisssanubisss Member Posts: 325

Gothic 2 beats both.. www.piranha-bytes.com/gothic2/content_english/news_headlines.php

• KhuzarrzKhuzarrz Member Posts: 578

Originally posted by Thillian

Oblivion is overhyped crap. Witcher is a secret hit. Whereas Oblivion gives only one option to solve each quest, Witcher usually has more ways to deal with them. Obliviou could be a solid game, but the level scaling system is just horrific. You never feel like improving, because every stupid creep in game improves everytime you level up. Witcher is not a perfect game apparently either, but in compare to Oblivion it shines.

Wrong wrong wrong wrong.

The level scaling system is the best thing I've EVER found in a game, and I wouldn't change it for ****. It provides you with a constant challenge - it's not supposed to get easier, levels are just to facilitate you getting into better armour, better weapons and better spells, as well as to track which quests you are and aren't suitable for. If you want it easier, use the difficulty slider - by far the best one in the RPG world; the game goes from "easy, complete me in 2 hours" to "this will take over 30,000 save games for a first timer".

Alternatively, use your brain. You ONLY level up when you raise your major skills... This means you can grind out level 100 in all of your minor skills without ever leveling up (using this method allows you to max out all of your attributes btw; I won't explain how, just think about it). Thus, at level 1, you can 1 hit almost anything if you max out marksman, or one-two hit anything if you max out hand-to-hand. I dread to imagine how overpowered you could be as level 1, level 100 conjuration/destruction. By the way, I don't recommend this for normal gameplay - just for exploration, or if you really have a huge problem with the level scaling.

• KhuzarrzKhuzarrz Member Posts: 578

Originally posted by Rikimaru_X

One thing I couldnt stand is that they didn't give the Khajiit cat like sounds (during fighting) like in Morrowind. They sounded like everybody else so I do agree with Old Man.

I'm not gonna search myself, but I'm pretty sure someone 'fixed' that with a mod. Just throw it in on google and see if it kicks anything up.

I agree though, when I got it on release, I was NOT impressed with that.

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Oblivion - Run around amongst people whom, for some unknown reason, all seem to almost sound the same! And they look fairly stupid. Got a hell of a boring main campaign too. The rest of the game is awesome.
    Witcher - You can have sex with vampires, more comments should hardly be necessary.