Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Games are Dropping off the charts!!

I've been playing games ever since I was about 3 years old. I'm going on 22 this July. Ever since my first game on the old Atari system (Contra, still one of my favorites), I've grown very very bored with video games. Whether it be online MMORPG's or single player games. I've grown extremely tired of the same old game setups and the same old stuff. It seems to me like the games just copy each other with the exception of different item textures and landscapes.

I've tried for years to get my ideas into a gaming company to try and diversify the gaming experience from the same old loops. Unfortunately, every time I input my ideas to any company, they just write them off as "Feedback" and I get the same old automated letter saying thank you for your feedback. It seems more and more like companies are caring more about money then their own player base. Many companies don't realize that A LOT of us are tired of the same old things. Even the new generation gamers are growing tired of the PC games fairly quick. Hence why Nintendo's Wii and Sony's Playstation systems are so popular, along with the XboX 360's.

I've tried so very hard to get the attention of the game developers to take into consideration of my ideas, and set forth a new foot into the gaming world.

I've done a couple of "polls", and come to find out nearly 75% of the people I asked, (out of about 3000 people)are growing tired of the same old games as well. The same old hotbar setup (using 1-0 for skills) grows very old. One main thing I grow so very tired of is the fact that most games are designed so you stand still and fight. What happened to the movement? The chance to possibly avoid an attack? I understand that most games implement shield and dodge abilities so that the attacks miss and are blocked. But, that grows very boring VERY quick. I think that World of Warcraft's idea on the fight system was good but, still needed some improvement. The fact that if someone is behind you, you can't really attack them is somewhat realistic. I do have to say that Dungeons and Dragons fight system was purely sensational. The fact that you click to attack is what I like. The fact that you can move and attack and avoid attacks is realistic.

I'm hoping that people will read this and comment, we need to get these gaming companies more worried about their gamers then their games. I understand that graphics are a major thing in a game. But, a game is crap if it has bad game play. I prefer a game that keeps the interest through game play rather then graphics. I love good graphics in a game too but, I don't want to be staring at the same thing for the entire time I play the game.

Also, I have to say that Anarchy online was pretty good as far as character development. The fact that you can do so much to your character to increase abilities as well as install implants to increase abilities was also nice, as every game does have an upgrade system.

As I said I hope game companies even would take notes on this.

(If any game companies out there are willing to step outside the box for once. Feel free to mail me at [email protected] I have tons of great options for games as well as ideas and even came up with a couple of great layouts for games. Mind you I can't do level development or scripting but, I hope with a little luck that one of these pioneering game companies can find the time for once to look toward their gamers for game ideas rather then game developers.)

Comments

• beauturkeybeauturkey Mabinogi CorrespondentMember Posts: 288

While I can appreciate the time you took to make a poll, and the fact that you have all these ideas, I can tell you that a gaming company is not going to contact you just because you tell them they should.

See, I'm 33. 11 years older than you. Been playing games longer, as well. I have been in bands since I was 13, so that's 20 years. I have travelled all across the USA and recorded several albums.  I have played "big shows."

But, I still have to do it. Obviously I haven't "made it." In fact, the girl in my band now comes from a band that literally DID make it, and she is back to my square because of other issues.

The only thing I can say is this: if a band came to me and said "We have been playing for a long time! We promise we have great songs!" I would tell them to:

A) Go on tour first. Even just a week long one.

B) Record a demo/album

C) Get a website

D) Play live, play live, play live, play live...

In other words, if you are just 22, why aren't you in school for gaming? Or are you? If not, why not? Why not start a podcast? That's a GREAT way to get ideas out there. Why not start a website?

In other words, getting noticed in the "industry" has as much to do with persistence as it does with ideas and skills. In fact, getting involved is more important than anything. I'm sure you posted this poll and this "call" in other forums. If not, all I can tell you is that these forums are one well visited, but not visited by gaming officials. Try all the other sites, too.

Good luck!

Listen to the Spouse Aggro podcast at spouseaggro.com. Twitter: spouseaggro

• sc4rr3dr4v3nsc4rr3dr4v3n Member Posts: 12

So that I am a bit clearer, I wasn't referring to BIG game companies. As for getting into game development, I have been looking to going for it. Haven't had the chance to sit down and look around for what kind of programs are running for degrees. I'm sure in time I will find something that will completely spark my interest. As you may have played games LONGER then I have, I assure you I've played FAR MORE then you >.<

(not to sound mean but seriously)

• CaesarsGhostCaesarsGhost Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

I used to be somebody on these Forums till I got picked up by a gaming company, not for my design ideas though.  What I learned was that all my design ideas... were fundamentally flawed.

It's very easy to take a bunch of ideas you throw together and claim them as a great design.  But how full did you make your document?  Is it several hundred pages about how one element works with another that works with another?

Eventually I actually was able to start my own company... and every yahoo/aim/gtalk/msn contact I had was badgering me with ideas.  When I tell them to flesh out the idea, they get bored and go elsewhere... they expect somebody else to do the legwork.

If you're SERIOUS about your game ideas, you should fully flesh them out.  I held an amateur game design workshop at a local college (which I still attend) with another local game creator.  You'd be amazed at some of the good ideas people have, but no ability to expand upon it... or make it work with any other idea they had.  You'd also be amazed the lack of innovation.  The worst part is when people can't explain their "totally different and innovative idea" with anything but examples.  If you use an example, it's been done before... which isn't bad, but that means you could describe it to somebody who does NOT play games and make them understand it.

Finally, you'd be amazed that, even when innovative, fleshed out, and analyzed, people will say "This isn't going to work..." about their own idea.  I actually wanted to hire that kid... takes a man to say that.

Design is about the legwork.  If you're willing to do ALOT of it, stick to it and don't give up.  Ever.

- CaesarsGhost

Lead Gameplay and Gameworld Designer for a yet unnamed MMO Title.
    "When people tell me designing a game is easy, I try to get them to design a board game. Most people don't last 5 minutes, the rest rarely last more then a day. The final few realize it's neither fun nor easy."

Congratulations is in order, Wish I could say the same lol. As for working out game ideas. I wish I had enough time in each day to write out everything and put it down on paper. I HAD one piece of work that took me almost 4 months to write up, totaling about 210 pages of information on a potential idea for a game design. It went into great detail on the subject and how it could be implemented, as well as what the effects would be as far as gameplay, balance and such. I grew tired of trying to get anyone to look at it, figured it was crap and tossed it. Then proceeded to start on a new idea. After a couple ideas, i grew tired of being laughed at by people who wouldn't even so much as take the time to read the first page, when they wouldn't even spend 20 minutes trying to write up something remotely useful.

• uncusuncus Member UncommonPosts: 528

Originally posted by sc4rr3dr4v3n

<snip> It seems more and more like companies are caring more about money then their own player base.  <snip>

Ah, Young One, you have smelled the coffee, now you need to wake up!

Companies are in business to make money, that's what they exist for.  The only "care" that they have for the player base is that the players send them money.

You make the extremely common error in that you believe that an entity "doesn't listen" when that entity doesn't agree with you.  Kids claim that all the time "you're not listening to me!" when we adults can't help but hear you, we just disagree with you and won't let you have your own way.

When you have learned these things, then grasshopper, you may DRINK the coffee!

{ I know my post is rather condescending to the OP, but look at his reply to beauturkey}

My point is, that if the companies would get their heads out of their  es, They would see that the more they listen to the gamer, the more money they would make. Due to the fact that they listen to what the consumer wants to buy, rather then the company wants to sell.

As for being a child, I am not. I'm a man. As stipulated by being old enough to drink. So please refrain from calling me a child again. I didn't bash you in any way. I'm not complaining either about the gaming companies. I'm just pointing out the fact that they should listen to the consumers.  As for me? I could care less if they do or not. Not my loss.

(if you are not calling me a child and just stating that I'm younger then you that I apologize for anything that may be rude)

My point is, that if the companies would get their heads out of their  es, They would see that the more they listen to the gamer, the more money they would make. Due to the fact that they listen to what the consumer wants to buy, rather then the company wants to sell.
    As for being a child, I am not. I'm a man. As stipulated by being old enough to drink. So please refrain from calling me a child again. I didn't bash you in any way. I'm not complaining either about the gaming companies. I'm just pointing out the fact that they should listen to the consumers.  As for me? I could care less if they do or not. Not my loss.

(if you are not calling me a child and just stating that I'm younger then you that I apologize for anything that may be rude)
    Did you ever read the StarDock article about the difference between Customers and Users?

He makes some very good points about that topic.  It's a good read.

- CaesarsGhost

"When people tell me designing a game is easy, I try to get them to design a board game. Most people don't last 5 minutes, the rest rarely last more then a day. The final few realize it's neither fun nor easy."

• DoomsayerDoomsayer Member Posts: 344

Just becuase you are 22 and can drink, does not make you a man.

Anyway, you have some valid gripes. But in the end, the reasons people have stated trying to explain to you why you are having trouble are valid ones. And I am sure it is alot more complicated than even they have stated.

In the end, as with everything, it is up to you to decide if continuing on your course will be fruitful enough to justify the hard work and passion that you put into it. If it is, keep working, don't throw anything away no matter how many people laugh at it, and get a degree in game design. That won't solve all your problems with breaking into the industry but it will help people take you more seriously. Good Luck.

Everything born must die. All that is, will come to ruin. This is the essence of Doom. So sayeth the Doomsayer.

Ghost,

I have to say that was good reading ^_^. It's sad really.....

Man game companies should give every gamer a piece of paper and have them all write down an idea.

This way maybe they would get a general Idea of what gamers want, helping them develop a game that has a better chance to sell.

• uncusuncus Member UncommonPosts: 528

To quote Perry White,"Great Caesar'sGhost!"  Thanks for the link - EXCELLENT article which should be a "Must read" for anyone even thinking about game designing!

Ghost,
       I have to say that was good reading ^_^. It's sad really.....

Man game companies should give every gamer a piece of paper and have them all write down an idea.
    This way maybe they would get a general Idea of what gamers want, helping them develop a game that has a better chance to sell.

they do, they're called "Forums'...

- CaesarsGhost

Originally posted by uncus

To quote Perry White,"Great Caesar'sGhost!"  Thanks for the link - EXCELLENT article which should be a "Must read" for anyone even thinking about game designing!
    Holy crap, somebody knew it.  Awesome!

And I absolutely love Stardock and their business practices and articles they write.  Check out their site, software, and articles.  You'll be amazed what you read, see, and use.

Yes, I'm a StarDock fanatic.  No, I don't work for the company (I wish).

- CaesarsGhost

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811

<snip> It seems more and more like companies are caring more about money then their own player base.  <snip>

Companies are in business to make money, that's what they exist for.  The only "care" that they have for the player base is that the players send them money.

You make the extremely common error in that you believe that an entity "doesn't listen" when that entity doesn't agree with you.  Kids claim that all the time "you're not listening to me!" when we adults can't help but hear you, we just disagree with you and won't let you have your own way.

{ I know my post is rather condescending to the OP, but look at his reply to beauturkey}

That's $$$OE, other companies have a passion for games. Yes they are there to make money but first of all they love games.

• gillvane1gillvane1 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,503

Your ideas are worthless, unless you can make a demo of them.

Let me give you an example. I will write the President, and tell him that I have an idea to solve the energy crisis. All cars should be made with fusion engines that only emit water and oxygen, and run forever with tiny little clean fusion engines under the hood.

That's a great idea right! Now that I've done the hard part, and come up with this great idea, all they have to do is the easy part and build the fusion engine! Why don't they listen to me?

So as you can see, ideas are worthless. Actual code that works and is bug free is worth something.

Also, I disagree 100% about the D&D combat system. I thought it was just button mashing, and jumping around like a chicken with your head cut off. I'd rather have something that requires more thought, and less button mashing.

• andmillerandmiller Member Posts: 374

It's absolutely a travesty that the game companies are not jumping all over your ideas and trying to hire you as an Executive Producer of the next big game.  After all, you've made so many clear concise points in this thread, plus you obviously have a ton of game development experience.

What are these companies thinking!??

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

Everyone here is giving some great advice. 

Being a career professional for about 12 years has taught me a lot about how ideas and criticism works.

never tell anyone about your ideas unless you have them developed or fleshed out.  If you do, someone else will develope your idea for you and you'll end up with ziltch.  So on its surface it may sound sweet to have some game company pick you up and listen to your ideas and develop them, just dont expect to be given credit.  Furthermore, if they fail.. expect to get the blame. 

if you want to criticize something, you need to have a solution completely worked out.  Otherwise, you're just whining.

Aspire to be more than a talking head.  Be the person that persues their ideas and creates them.  Never...EVER let anyone develope your idea for you.  Do what it takes, whatever the cost, to create your vision by your own hand.

I see it happen all the time where a person suggests an improvement during a meeting and someone more motivated takes that idea, improvises and creates it.  Who do you think is credited for this?  Its not the talking head thats for sure.  In fact, usually nobody even remembers that it was suggested prior to.

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

I think people don't care about interesting new ideas.  They may say they do, but when you show them one, they usually ignore it.  People usually never respond to or look at games with new ideas, or more intellectual complex games.  Its always the dubbed down games where you press X to win.  Atleast it offers them familiarity to compare it.

• PonicoPonico Member UncommonPosts: 650

If we were to listen to people on a forum, we would never have a game out. People are like that, never happy about what they have. They always want more and such.

Here's something that might change your mind on games. Play to be with people you love and ignore the rest. I play BF2142 and it's probably one worse FPS out there but the fun I have playing with my clan and friends makes it well worth it :)

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

This is actually a great post.

I keep seeing players waxing nostalgic about how things used to be, about how the producers are the "enemy" because they are the money people and that game companies don't listen.

But it's almost as if gamers want game developers to be some sort of religious zealots, only creating games that he players want, spending millions of dollars for gameplay elements that won't return that investment.

To the OP. Stop talking and get into the business and actually make a difference. That is the only way you are going to do it. Also, I suspect you will actually learn a bit as to how busines actually works. You might see things that you disagree with but you also might learn real reason as to why things are. You might even come to suspect that those reason are actually good.

As you get older your priorities are going to change and you will realize that part of being in a company is being in a stable and successful company that will continue to give you a paycheck, insurance, retirement benefits, etc. Companies need to stay in business otherwise all they are are "one shot" deals that can't sustain themselves.

So if you think your ideas are good enough, enter the business and "make it so". If they are good they might actually make some money. If in the end they aren't good you might learn why.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • nethervoidnethervoid Member UncommonPosts: 531

There's already a plethora of great advice and years talking in this thread, so I'll just add the one thing nobody has said yet.  For every million gamers with an idea outside of the actual working part of the industry, there's one developer with an idea.

So lets just say you have this great idea.  You are asked to pitch your idea to a Sony game development board.  But also pitching an idea is a dev that works in Sony's SOE branch.  He's got an amazing idea for a game or game design aspect too.

You guys both pitch your idea.  His is pretty good, but yours is amazing!  They go with his.  Why?  Cause he works there, and he has experience building these ideas.  So not only does he have experience coding the very ideas he has, which means some knowledge before hand on what is and isn't possible, he also works for the company already.  They've invested in him already and he's still working there because they know he's a stable investment.  You?  They just met you, and you have no game dev experience, especially not with them.  You've got no credentials or track record.

So to make a long story short, the only way you'll get to see your ideas developed is to develop them yourself.  Get your game degree, code up everything under the sun you can think of to get practice, then app to a game dev company.  That's the only way it will work...well unless you get a bank loan and start your own company...which, needless to say, entails FAR more risk.

*edit* On and one thing nobody mentions much because it's so abstract, but it's a huge part of working in any industry: social networking.  As much as possible, you need to meet people that are working in the industry.  Learn their names and faces.  Talk to them.  If you can, buddy up with them and hang out.  Once I read that two thirds of all job prospects came from friends already working in a company.  Get in good with people in the industry who can then get you in the industry.

nethervoid - Est. '97
    [UO|EQ|SB|SWG|PS|HZ|EVE|NWN|WoW|VG|DF|SWTOR|SotA|BDO]
    24k subs YouTube Gaming channel

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

The erroneous assumption here is the companies do not know what gamers think. They run focus groups, they have online forums, they do marketing research. And what make you think you know their customers better than they do? If they are expanding the market every year and selling millions and millions of copies of their products, I think they know a lot more than you.

What you don't realize is that new ideas are a dime a dozen. Good implementation, OTOH, is expensive and hard to get.

No one succeed just because of ideas. You put 10 people like you in a room for 3 hours and you will have more than enough ideas to implement in the next 10 years.

• StanlyManlyStanlyManly Member Posts: 181

Turn based MMO based on collectible battle card system.  There... some game dev go make this and profit.  I'll be happy to just play it, no need for compensation.

Equal opportunity troll.