Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

File sharing legal / illegal?

bojinxbojinx Member Posts: 172

I was just curious about peoples opinions about using Peer-to-Peer programs to download copyrighted music, movies, and software.  I have always thought of it as morally wrong and illegal to download copyright material but I have friends who think it is okay. 

I understand that every country has it's own rules about  this issue....some countries have no rules (I went to South America and they had stores that only sold pirated movies, some movies where still in the theater). 

Basically ,what is your opinion about downloading copyrighted material off a peer-to-peer site?   Do you find it to be okay, not okay , or depends on the download (music = okay, movies= not okay).

Comments

• BlomiBlomi Member Posts: 200

Its legal.  If anyone gives you any trouble about it, just tell them a guy with an eye patch on the internet told you it was ok.

• hazmatshazmats Member Posts: 1,081

It's the same as walking to the store and stealing it there IMO.... If you are downloading copyrighted stuff I mean. The actual bittorrent technology is a good thing.

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515

It is of course illegal. Nuff said.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• MadAceMadAce Member Posts: 2,461

The method is legal everywhere.

It's what share that is either legal or illegal.

Either way: Filesharing isn't going to go away and it will transform the world more than one would think.

• GoSonicsGoSonics Member Posts: 167

In my opinion cd's are way too expensive. So I am ok with downloading music, plus it's legal here. Not to say I don't buy cd's, I often do.

Movies on the other hand I think is different than downloading music.

• MunkiMunki Member CommonPosts: 2,128
    Originally posted by GoSonics

In my opinion cd's are way too expensive. So I am ok with downloading music, plus it's legal here. Not to say I don't buy cd's, I often do.

Pirating music/movies/software is illegal everywhere. Infact Canada is the one of the only countries to sucessfully get a torrent site shut down. Demonoid (try accessing it from Canada, you cant)

after 6 or so years, I had to change it a little...

• unconformedunconformed Member Posts: 700

Originally posted by Munki

Pirating music/movies/software is illegal everywhere. Infact Canada is the one of the only countries to sucessfully get a torrent site shut down. Demonoid (try accessing it from Canada, you cant)

so im wondering which side the lobbyists are going to grease?

when you think about it, the tool of filesharing is like a gun, ammo is copyright material, what you choose to do with it is your responsibility.

who's with me on that fantastic analogy?! damn skippee

pro guns, pro client. dizamn

chips, dips chains & whips.

• hazmatshazmats Member Posts: 1,081

Originally posted by unconformed
    Originally posted by GoSonics In my opinion cd's are way too expensive. So I am ok with downloading music, plus it's legal here. Not to say I don't buy cd's, I often do.

when you think about it, the tool of filesharing is like a gun, ammo is copyright material, what you choose to do with it is your responsibility.

well ammo wouldn't be copyrighted material. It would be the same as the gun. The copyrighted material would be if you decided to shoot somebody. Legally downloading stuff would be hunting or target shooting.

• unconformedunconformed Member Posts: 700

Originally posted by hazmats

Originally posted by unconformed

well ammo wouldn't be copyrighted material. It would be the same as the gun. The copyrighted material would be if you decided to shoot somebody. Legally downloading stuff would be hunting or target shooting.

ammo is the copyrighted material. shooting it is transferring it.

lay off my analogy!

chips, dips chains & whips.

• MadAceMadAce Member Posts: 2,461

Demonoid has been down for everyone, for some time now.

Plenty of alternatives for Demonoid. Filesharing (as far as I know) is unstopable.

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202

Its what you do with it. If your write a song and want to give it to everyone through a file share website thats fine. Copyrighted stuff is illegal and you are robbing the artist of money.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by MadAce

Demonoid has been down for everyone, for some time now.

Plenty of alternatives for Demonoid. Filesharing (as far as I know) is unstopable.

Sucks though, since it was the only one I was a part of. Private trackers are SO much better.

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

It's illegal where I live.

But then so is smoking while you drive and using Airsoft guns carries a 5 year minimum in jail. 

I feel much the same way about it as I do speeding, I don't think it is morally wrong per se, but I recognise the rule.

I don't in anyway think copywright infringement is theft. In order to rob the artist of money, you would have to steal the copywright, not the song.

That is to say, if I downloaded someones album and printed it up and started selling it, that would be robbing the artist. I would be depriving him of sales he could have made for himself. I think it's pushing the limits of credability to suggest that anyone who downloads a song, would have bought it otherwise.

I actually think the downloading phenomenon has been quite good for music. The record business has been over exploited for a long time now. I applaud that bands now actually have to go on tour to make money again. Poor mites, having to actually do something to get paid.  

Good or bad, downloading peer to peer isn't going to just go away. No amount of legislation is going to stop it. The cat is out of the bag and a lot of people in the publishing industry are going to find themselves redundant. Unneeded in the modern world.

No great loss in my opinion.

• DailyBuzzDailyBuzz Member Posts: 2,306

Illegal. Don't do it.

You know, when VHS was the new technology, the movie industry thought it would crash ticket sales. However, just the opposite happened, ticket sales went up across the board. The same could be true with the music industry. Artists need to offer something unique with hard copy purchases. I'm not a very creative person, but I'm sure something could be drummed up. They could add a cool pinup, memorobilia, art, etc. You know, something non-transferrable that fans of the artist would want to have (remember that huge rolling paper in the "Up in Smoke" album?). I think once they accept the fact that there is no combating file sharing, they will become pro-active about the next step in marketing.

• NjaARdNjaARd Member Posts: 27

I think it's wrong to download movies,not music. I often just download a few songs off an album to see if it's worth buying...

I my own religion.. xD

• VampirVampir Member Posts: 4,239

in my opinion, there is enough streaming out there with sites like project playlist and other sites to sample something then decide if its worth buying.

I hate all these people who say they love ______ band, but aren't willing to buy there cd and feel that they are still number one fans when they steal from the band.

The one thing i have ever stolen is an Ann coulter book because i could not give her money(not stolen out of a the bookstores i like in my town, i downloaded it online)

If i want to support someone i will buy there shit, if not i dont even bother downloading it.

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you''re one of the 2% who hasn''t, copy & paste this in your signature.

Illegal to share not download.

• MunkiMunki Member CommonPosts: 2,128

Downloading and not sharing... nobody likes a leech :P

But I will admit I did forget about that ruling, glad you made me google it.

after 6 or so years, I had to change it a little...

• KhuzarrzKhuzarrz Member Posts: 578

Originally posted by Vampir

in my opinion, there is enough streaming out there with sites like project playlist and other sites to sample something then decide if its worth buying.
    I hate all these people who say they love ______ band, but aren't willing to buy there cd and feel that they are still number one fans when they steal from the band.
    The one thing i have ever stolen is an Ann coulter book because i could not give her money(not stolen out of a the bookstores i like in my town, i downloaded it online)
    If i want to support someone i will buy there shit, if not i dont even bother downloading it.

Considering the big record companies tend to give between 1% and 10% of actual sales revenue to the artist, you're not robbing them that much. Going to gigs and buying the merch is supporting a band.

Pricing should be voluntary imho, as Razorlight (I'm pretty sure it was Razorlight) and NIN have been doing. I just love sharing music (as in, the music I've recorded with my bands) with friend, fans, peers, and anyone else really. I love the feedback, and I love knowing they've enjoyed what I've done. I make my entire living from music and I've every intention of being like that forever, and see no barriers to that happening, and I have NEVER charged for a song, album, or video. There's just no need for it. Even the CDs I take to gigs, I hand out for free (actually at a loss, but CDs are so cheap it's quite irrelevant).

Actually take the time when you're at a gig to ask an artist (in private, obviously, because they have to lie or they lose their record contracts in public ;) ) what they think of file sharing, whether they've done it, and whether they mind the fact that you've just downloaded ****** album from them, two days before the show. I've never once (and I've asked that A LOT) been met by anyone who answered that they hate it, think it's ruining, or even threatening their living.

The file-sharing industry can only be good for music (NOT music production companies, but frankly, I think they're the worst thing in the entire world), because as getting hold of even the most niche music becomes easier, people actually have a chance to get away from the contemporary chart SHIT that the record companies would prefer we keep listening to, because they can record and ship it practically the same day (the Robbie Williams lyrics "write a song on Tuesday, record it on a wednesday, buy a yaght on sunday" spring to mind). As people get more aware of what music exists, even though most will probably hate a lot of it, i can only see it being a good thing. My hope for the music industry is that it will eventually revolve entirely around sites like MySpace. Recording the music is easy, and cheap to start with, and recording quality can increase as band revenues from GIGS (you know, those things that they're actually meant for. Not fucking photoshoots) increase, allowing them to score better kit or more studio time. Promoters and 'agents' (the people that sort gigs out) are fine, and productive in the music industry. Record Companies are not. They work for profit, not for the public, not for the fans, and not for music.

• lomillerlomiller Member Posts: 1,810
    The test for legality of a technology is “significant non infringing usefulness” So file sharing itself is legal but downloading may not be and offering for upload generally is not.

Keep in mind though that despite what some people would have you believe music is not the same as “any other property”. When you create a work of art/literature/music or invent some device you *do not* own the work itself, because you can’t own thoughts or ideas.  What you own is time limited a monopoly on the use of that work.

In the US, the authority to create copyright laws is written into the constitution; the presumption that there must be copyright laws is not.  It also describes why the US government is entitled to make copyright laws.  

Specifically it grants congress the right

To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries

IOW “intellectual” property is not lumped in with property laws, but can be legislated for the purpose of promoting arts and science.  Furthermore these laws *must* be time limited. Laws that serve to promote corporate profit without some benefit to Art/Science would seem to violate this particular clause of the US constitution.
  • NetzokoNetzoko Member Posts: 1,271

It's legal to share, but not share copyrighted material.

If I send you a picture of my ass that's file sharing, but legal. However, if I send you an MP3 of Come Sail Away by Styx it is illegal because I do not own that song.

-------------------------

Downloading and not sharing... nobody likes a leech :P

But I will admit I did forget about that ruling, glad you made me google it.

haha true true.