Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

my xbox 360 freezes

forzaitaliaforzaitalia Member Posts: 137

Five weeks ago I got the red ring of death (the three red lights on the ring of light).  After about 2 weeks,  I got a package with a 360 and a letter saying that this was a "New Console" (referbished, as i soon found out).  After connecting the console and playing for about 45 minutes, the screen froze, I pressed the middle "X" button (the one in the center of the controller that pulls up the dashboard.  I saw that the dashboard was frozen as well.  To make a very long and frusterating story short, i tried it several more times and it froze several times all with different games.  The troubleshooting that i tried already- cooling the console with a fan, moving the console to a new more open area, elevating the power "brick", clearing the cache. Please help!!, I dont trust Microsoft customer service anymore and am hesitant to send it in for repairs.  Does anyone know how to fix it?  If so can you tell me.

Comments

• ManmadegodManmadegod Member Posts: 501

If you are okay with pulling it open and twiddling with the HD a bit - it could be as simple as a loose connection but I believe would nullify your warranty that you may have,

Chances are it's something simple if it's freezing.... Of course it could be a rubbish system...  My advice:

Send it in for repairs but talk to someone on the phone person to person about it first and get a customer ref number so you can call on it if you need to - buddy of mine did that and they sent him a new one and a refurbished one that they fixed for him.

• darkraptordarkraptor Member Posts: 178

Was there any diagnostics showing up in any form? Did you check the ventilation of the 360?  

/rant

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

Beware the RED RING OF DEATH! You better keep your 360 in a very cool area and turn the fan on it.

• forzaitaliaforzaitalia Member Posts: 137

If my diagnostics you mean on screen error messages, I got none.  I put a fan on it during gameplay, I moved it to an open area.

I froze on ALL my games, Elder Scrolls: Oblivian Shivering Isles, FIFA 08, FIFA Street 3, NHL 08, Two Worlds, Command and Conquer, Tiberium Wars etc.  They all freeze after a maximum of 45 minutes.  The shourtest amount of time i spent playing a game was 5 minutes. 

Sounds very much like a HD problem to me bro.

The latest firmware is 2.0.2258.0

Is that your firmware? I have heard that if it's not your firmware and it's a new system back from repair or refurbished in your case - that could be the problem.

Um, I also knew of someone that I read about that bought a new Xbox 360 from Wal Mart took his old one with ring of death into the new box... Took it back to wal mart for his money... Done... but I am not sure of legality of this and would assume it's illegal. :p

how do i check the firmware, if its not how do i fix that

Originally posted by Manmadegod

Sounds very much like a HD problem to me bro.
    The latest firmware is 2.0.2258.0
    Is that your firmware? I have heard that if it's not your firmware and it's a new system back from repair or refurbished in your case - that could be the problem.

could this be the firmware - 2.0.6683.0

i think i should go out and buy a router to maybe get an update for it when i connect it 2 my network

is that a good idea????? and recommendations on routers??

• darkraptordarkraptor Member Posts: 178

I would definitely try to make sure the software is up to date, but have you checked the web? like google or something to see if there are similar people posting about stuff out there? This is only mmorpg and microsoft may have some tech support sites with better support than we can give you.

/rant

• ZarkaickZarkaick Member Posts: 7

It could be that, or have u tried taking all the equipment of your 360(hard drive,memory units,wireless network adapter...) and also unpluging everything connected to your 360 and waiting 10 - 15 minutes then put everything back on to your 360 and plugging everything back in... and if that doesn't work then I suggest sending it in to Microsoft!!!

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928

Take it back and get a Wii, PS3, DS, PSP, ASUS Eee PC, Smartphone, or a PDA.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• DreamerdudeDreamerdude Member Posts: 13

Dude my friend just had to send back his third xbox. First time he sent it in, he got a new one and it worked for a while. Then it got the rings of death so he sent it then got another refurbished one. A few days later that one broke and now he has to send it back in again. Can't they just make a console that doesn't break? When I get a new job I'm going to be getting a ps3 so when mine breaks I'll have something else to play, plus I want most of the games out for it.

• ZarkaickZarkaick Member Posts: 7

Ok, I can see that it is a pain to send your 360 to Microsoft but my own opinion is don't get a PS3... even though PS3 you don't have to worry about the ring of death and it has internet, the PS3 is horrible because my friend has one and he has updates like every week and they take about 2-3 hours to complete so PS3's are a pain as well... other than that send your 360 in and when u get one back by a intercooler for enhanced and longer game playing and it will run more efficiently... and if that doesn't work then buy a new system!!!

• DreamerdudeDreamerdude Member Posts: 13

They don't have updates every week anymore, thats also a horrible reason for not getting one. The updates that happen now (maybe once a month) add more functions to the blue ray, more customization options for your menu's, the ability to play more videos on the net, and generally everything that makes the ps3 better IMO. Your friend must have really slow internet because for me it may take fifteen minutes no joke. Now I can see that people are just grasping in the air to find reasons that the ps3 sucks now although there isn't one reason it does anymore. I'm also not going to sit there and keep buying a new system that I know is going to just crap out again. If the one that I do have decides to die then I'm just going to get rid of it, they manufactured it horribly. USA is the only play that the 360 is doing good in, everywhere else the ps3 is at the top with the Wii.  360 may have some good games that I like now but most of the games that I really love were just brought over from playstation which really says something about how creative people are on sony's system. Grand theft auto is going to run better on the ps3, in an article it stated that the 360 does have a little bit more color but it has anti-ailiasing issues this round unlike the ps3 which has no anti-ailiansing issues and greater black levels.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

One of my friends went through 3 of them and one them had smoke coming out of it.