Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I cant open the game

Ok, i just downloaded this game and it wont let me enter it. It stays on the task bar for aprox. 20-30 sec and than it gives me a fatal error. Can someoen please help me because i realy wanna try this game out. Thanks

Comments

• AdmEricAdmEric Member Posts: 6
    Ok, i got the game to the black screen and than it beeps and gives me a GEClient error message. Can someone plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz help me!!

• Dude®Dude® Member Posts: 44

What is the message?

If the message is cannot connect to the starport server, then you have a firewall blocking ports in or out, not allowing the game to contact the server or the server unable to contact the client.

Dude®

Dude®

It just says that it has encountered a problem and will have to close. Sorry for the inconvience.

hmmm, odd, were you able to get any windows to come up, especially the one that is a window showing progress bars (downloding patches), besides the black screen ?

and can you give some specs of your computer along with operating system.

Dude®

Dude®

OK, yes i coul get the patches thingy up and where do i check my specs. Do you have net meeting? If so could you give me your ip n than i will share my desktop with you so that u can chec out anyhing that you need to look at.

Ok, go to the folder that you installed starport into and make sure you have the files named GEPatch.126.pat and all the consecutive numbers through GEPatch.142.pat.

If you dont have any of these or just a few, you will have to reinstall the program.

You can get rough system information by going to the start menu select the Run option and type Dxdiag into the window and click ok. This will bring up the DirectX diagnostics and on the main page of this window it will show the basic system information. You may also want to check all the taqbs at the top to make sure that there are no problems listed at the bottom of any of the tabbed windows, that can let you know if you may need to reinstall or update your directx files, which can be done by going to microsoft windows update.

Dude®

Dude®

Ok, u needed to know my system info (ty for telling me where to locate it) Pent III 864MHz   254MB ram DirectX 8.1. Ok thats the information and about the patches. It wont install patch 26. idk why but i have every one starting from 39 to 42. Where can i go to get 36?

All I can think of is redownload the game using the first mirror, that version will require the client to get all the patches I mentioned above. Then reinstall it, if this works then the version you downloaded may not be working right or something.

Dude®

Dude®

I did that and it still hasnt installed pacth 26. I started the game and it gave me a error stating "Could not find supported resolution 1024x768x32" How do i fix that problem? MAN I AM GETTING MAD I WANNA PLAY THIS GAME LOL!!image

What operating system are you using?

If you are using XP or 2000 you may be able to get it to run in compatible mode or use some trouble shooting methods. In the starport directory, find the StarportGE.exe and right click on it, then select properties. This should give you a window with the option to use some troubleshooting options and/or compatable options. Try these one at a time to see if it helps.

If you have any other OS, like ME, 98 or older then something else will have to be done.

One thing I did notice is your still using DirectX 8.1, you should update that to 9.0b. This should not make a difference as the game does not use intense graphics. You can update this by going to windiows update, this can be done easily by going to the IE menu tools and select windows update. You should get any critical updates for the OS, then get 9.0b or recent in the section below this.

This is about as far as I can help you.

Dude®

Dude®

• AtmaDarkwolfAtmaDarkwolf Member UncommonPosts: 353

I have an awnser for you, but you are not goingto liek it. I experienced that EXACT problem, and tried over and over to get it to work..seems some computers it will and others it won't...

the fact is, if u do not have a AGP vid card in your comp, it apparently won't work(not exactly sure, but that same problem happened with 4 computers all with 'onboard' vid chips, but works fine in 3 others I have tried, 2 that are mine, with agp vid cards.

Does yours have a vid card? or is it onboard vid?

• CrushUCrushU Member Posts: 2

I have this exact problem. In fact, I've dabbled with DirectX and C++, and I can nearly accurately identify the cause.

So, here we go, I may lose those of you that haven't touched programming. WHen you start the program, it sends a call to Direct3D (which also works as DirectDraw in the recent versions) to establish a certain mode for the screen to be in, and it provides very specific information regarding this, namely, the display needs to be 1024x768, with 32bpp. Now, those of us with graphics cards that don't support 32 bits (Rare, but generally anything onboard or old), this causes an error, and it can't change the graphics mode. At this point, in any program that is intended to actually support anything other than one mode, the program evaluates the next step down, which would be 1024x768x24. Starport doesn't do this. Instead, it doesn't check to see if the display has been initialized successfully in the proper mode. This leads to the error that ACTUALLY crashes the program, which is when it tries to create the surface to draw to. This surface, as well, has specific mode, which is also 1024x768x32. The surface cannot be created in a 1024x768x24 display mode, so it crashes with an error message that it cannot create the primary surface.

Solution? Get a better gfx card. Or wait for the programmers to make it support something other than 32 bits. Luckily, I have another comp with a card that DOES support this, so I'm not completely shut out. It also means I can see the actual game, and I don't understand why it's trying to go as high as 32 bits anyway. At best, it needs 24 bits, max. Looks more like 16 bit though.