Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Someone point this new caldari char in the right direction (missions).

BaselineBaseline Member Posts: 503

Once again, I'm thinking of messing with EVE. I'm sitting in front of my screen looking at the starter area where you pick your race/bloodline, set skill points etc...

The only thing I know thus far is I want to mess around with playing Caldari, and I want to become an isk-whore/loot-whore (which seems like it's done through mission running). I dig the Caldari Ships (ravens are hot), and I prefer missiles over guns (guess that's good since I'm not focusing on pvp).

I'm trying to find a guide specifically for how to build a new character specifically for this, like what bloodline, point placement and other stuff at char creation I should choose to maximize efficiency. Also trying to find out what skills I should be learning and what ship I should be aiming for. I've always wanted to fly a Raven in eve, but I'm sure that big eve learning time downer is gonna hit me in the face telling me that's a few months off before flying a raven effectively for missions.

And I am really a total nub that doesn't have much experience outside of the starter tutorial and some mining, so the simpler the better.

Comments

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

well, since you're going for caldari, achura with military + soldier is a good start. try getting your attributes level so you can easily train skills.

maybe this will help a bit.

evefiles.mysterious-mysteries.com/caldari_ships.html

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

Originally posted by Baseline

Once again, I'm thinking of messing with EVE. I'm sitting in front of my screen looking at the starter area where you pick your race/bloodline, set skill points etc...
    The only thing I know thus far is I want to mess around with playing Caldari, and I want to become an isk-whore/loot-whore (which seems like it's done through mission running).
    I'm trying to find a guide specifically for how to build a new character specifically for this, like what bloodline, point placement and other stuff at char creation I should choose to maximize efficiency. Also trying to find out what skills I should be learning and what ship I should be aiming for. I've always wanted to fly a Raven in eve, but I'm sure that big eve learning time downer is gonna hit me in the face telling me that's a few months off before flying a raven effectively for missions.
    And I am really a total nub that doesn't have much experience outside of the starter tutorial and some mining, so the simpler the better.

Your best bet then would be to select one of the PVE builds for Caldari from the following guide.

wiki.goonfleet.com/index.php

The main reason to do this is your character will be created with very high missile skills, which are generally the best for new players, especially if you plan to do lots of mission running. (Don't worry, later on you can pick up gunnery skills should you chose, they'll just come later). 

Also, you'll get high frigate skills, which will take you into cruisers that much quicker.

The logical ship progression for a Caldari mission runner is a Kestrel frigate for level one (I think you'll even get a free one if you spec as the guide suggests and complete "all" of the tutorials. I remember buying a Kessie too quickly and then getting a 2nd at end of tutorial.  which was fine, cause I got them both blown up learning how to fly missions properly.

Next, do not train for destroyers unless you plan on creating a 2nd account and need a ship to salvage with.

Your next skill path to train for is cruisers, and you'll want to focus on the missile boat in the line, the Caracal. You'll also want to train up decent shield skills (cause Caldari are shield tankers) and very important, heavy missile turrets.  You can easily be flying Cruisers before the end of the 15 day trial, and they will work great for level 2 missions, and even some level 3's if you are patient. (Not worlds collide)

The next boat you want is not a Raven, no you want to train for a Battlecruiser called a Drake. Still uses same missile skills that a Caracal does however you can train up shield skills on it that make it strong enough to withstand damage to make level 3 missions a breeze, and even a great tank in level many level 4's (but not enough firepower for them, you'll either create a 2nd account or group up with a buddy)

Don't hurry into a Raven. Very nice ship, however you'll need to train lots of skills for a very long time to get the boat really flying well. (yes, about 4-5 months easily)  But in the meantime you'll really enjoy the other ships you train up in and they'll all serve you well in mission running.

Speaking off combat tactics, here's something I can share.  Once you warp into a mission, immediately line up with a celestial object  (moon, planet, warpgate, station).  Get your ship up to full power (so if you get in trouble and decide to warp away it will happen almost immediately with no delay).  Once you are good then fire your missiles, and always try to run away from npc ships, they'll follow, frequently unable to hit you, while you pick them off.   Keeps the damage low and makes escapes easily.

Finally, no mission runner should be w/o this fine guide.

eve-survival.org/missions/

Good luck and good flying.   Hope you enjoy your time in EVE.  And remember, one day mission running will bore you, and there's much more to EVE than mission running and mining.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BaselineBaseline Member Posts: 503

How are you supposed to know when you're moving up to harder missions, or when it's that time to upgrade your ship?

• maddbomber83maddbomber83 Member Posts: 422

It actually works out very nicely.

Look up the mission guides, but in short. . .  Pick a place to start (like Caldari Navy).  Go to their corp info window and check out all their agents.  Go fly for the highest level agent with the best quality factor you can.  This puts you in level 1 missions, in your kestrel.

You should be training to get into a cruiser ASAP (The caracal).  About the time you finish training for the caracal, you would have done enough level 1 missions to build enough faction for the level 2 guys.  Once you get your caracal, throw some assault launchers on it (faster firing standard missile launchers).  Now you are training for your battlecruiser (the Drake).  By time you finish level 2 missions, your drake training should be done.  If not, when you start level 3 missions in your caracal, swap out the assault launchers for heavy missile launchers.

Once in your drake, you will destroy level 3 missions.  This is where you get to make a choice (and have enough knowledge to do so).  I decided to max out the drake skills (missiles and shields).  My drake now does enough dmg (300dps) and can tank enough dmg(400dps) to complete level 4 missions in under 90 min.  Other people will start their training for the Raven (battleship), and go between hard level 3 missions and easy level 4 ones.

• BaselineBaseline Member Posts: 503

So you're saying I should start training toward the Caracal. Should I bother training the learning skills before this?

I know there's that whole thing of don't bother training learning skills unless you plan on playing for more than a year, but are there some basic ones I should at least train to like level 3 before I start training these other skills?

• PegasusJFPegasusJF Member Posts: 268

Training learning skills exclusively is a mistake, since you cut yourself off from getting better weapons, ships, and items for a significant amount of time, which will significantly reduce your enjoyment.

My suggestion is that you work it in with a training plan. Do one or two and then do some practical skills.

Ideally, save the short trains for play time and longer trains for downtime.

You should have all your basic learning skills to 5 and the advanced ones to at least lvl 4. But again, don't train them at exclusion to all else.

Welcome to EVE, hope you like it here!

God Bless

Creed

• maddbomber83maddbomber83 Member Posts: 422

evemon.battleclinic.com/

Download that utility.  What I would do is set a goal.  For instance throw in the caracal and what you will fit it with.  Then that program will suggest what learning skills to use.

I did this all the way up until I had a good set of skills, and by then the program had most of my learning at level 3 or 4.  Then I went and upped them to 4/5 before swapping over to a much longer term goal.  (goals started at about 1 weeks worth of training, then moved into 1 months worth, and my latest goal was a 3 monther (Golem)).

So, throw in all the skills for caracal (use the ship browser and item browser to make it easy).  Add in any other small skills you want.  It will suggest what you should train when it comes to learning.

Then after you are in your caracal, throw in all the skills for your battlecruiser and heavy missiles along with some quick (less than a day) skills to make you target more, better shields, harder hitting and smarter missiles, social skills, ectra.  It will again suggest your learning skills.

Then you should be able to pick a path from there!