Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EARTH HOUR - TODAY - PARTICIPATE

Teran1987Teran1987 Member UncommonPosts: 202

http://www4.earthhourus.org/

Greatest movement ever.

"Life is not judged by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Comments

• hazmatshazmats Member Posts: 1,081

I'll be sure every single electrical item in my house is turned on to mark this momentous occasion.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

I plan to be cleaning house today, inside and outside. This means I'll be running the vacuum, washer, dryer, electric hedge trimmer, electric weed eater, and also an electric chainsaw to cut some wayward limbs on my tree out front. But my lawnmower uses gas, so you can count that as my contribution, I suppose.

• unconformedunconformed Member Posts: 700

so what do i have to do?

trade in my car for horse and buggy. discontinue con-edison electric and get some candles. no tv or internet, obey what print media tells me.

all the while the 'elite political class' of the US and UN and world, laugh at my sorry ass.

double bag them groceries please.

comtempt, rather than conformity.

chips, dips chains & whips.

• tofiluktofiluk Member Posts: 20

the only things that are working right now is the aircon and  my pc...

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

Lets see, Earth Hour is sponsored by Google. A internet service. hmmm. Lets see !! Google requires a computer thats turned on. A computer that uses energy. So Google wants us to lower our energy output? Like its gonna matter. Just to be on the bandwagon..

Almost as bad as the global warming idiots. Read a report where the global warming scientists are saying this year there is less global warming. The dumb arses cannot even say the proper phrase.. Its getting cooler! Instead its less"global warming. What I find ironic is these same scientists now admit for the past 3 years the oceans overall temperature is dropping. Where does this fit in the global warming whackos conspiracy. I know the heat actually fell to the bottom of the ocean and we cant detect it. Its there!! Really it is!!

With the upcoming and new energy resources Earth hour is just like global warming. B.S!!! Ill have my computer on all day!

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396

haha, theyh made the backround for google pitch black, as if they turned out the lights :P

http://www.google.com/

Originally posted by Vendayn

Whos to say that all the places are supposed to be warmer? Maybe some places get wetter and some places get drier. Earth changes and isn't a static world like World of Warcraft.

In any case, down here in San Diego we barely get any storms, I remember 6+ years ago we used to get huge storms with hail and heavy rain for long periods. The past 5-6 years we get spits of rain and I haven't seen hail in a long time. All the storms we are supposed to get move up north or it just misses and goes down to Mexico. Overall, each year I notice we get less and less rain down here.

Also, ants like Leafcutter ants which die quickly in the cold, used to be stuck in South America...over the years they slowly moved northwards and now live in the southern U.S...when before there wasn't any able to come here.

Hi Vendayn. The story was concerning the Antarctica and the 3,000 or so plus instruments reading ocean temperatures. Not saying its climate change. That happens. History alone shows that. But Global warming? Totally off base. The decrease in temperature is worldwide not pertained to one specific area.

I can already see it. The Global conspirators will most likely come up with "Something is wrong" The scientists recording the temperatures must be doing something wrong. Or better yet" those temperature reading machines are all malfunctioning. Need to pull all 3k of them just to make sure they are reading temperatures properly.

Also to the OP. Ill make sure to turn out my lights when my wife gets home!Have to do my part!

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Originally posted by mike470
    haha, theyh made the backround for google pitch black, as if they turned out the lights :P

I believe I saw somewhere that if they changed Google to having a black background constantly it would save... ehm I'm not going to throw out a number but it was quite huge. Some older screens take more electricity to show white colors rather than black.

Originally posted by Godliest

I believe I saw somewhere that if they changed Google to having a black background constantly it would save... ehm I'm not going to throw out a number but it was quite huge. Some older screens take more electricity to show white colors rather than black.

Actually Godliest its takes the same amount of pixels used for a black screen as it does a white screen.  The monitor is still on. and the image is still made. The only time the black screen counts is if your monitor is "off". Google made me laugh at this. I am still trying to figure out the Google spin on it. They do not do anything unless it makes them money.

• Entreri28Entreri28 Member Posts: 589

Why is there so much hostility towards this?

Your mind is like a parachute, it's only useful when it's open.
    Don't forget, you can use the block function on trolls.

• grimweepergrimweeper Member Posts: 2,047
    Originally posted by xpowderx

Lets see, Earth Hour is sponsored by Google. A internet service. hmmm. Lets see !! Google requires a computer thats turned on. A computer that uses energy. So Google wants us to lower our energy output? Like its gonna matter. Just to be on the bandwagon..
    Almost as bad as the global warming idiots. Read a report where the global warming scientists are saying this year there is less global warming. The dumb arses cannot even say the proper phrase.. Its getting cooler! Instead its less"global warming. What I find ironic is these same scientists now admit for the past 3 years the oceans overall temperature is dropping. Where does this fit in the global warming whackos conspiracy. I know the heat actually fell to the bottom of the ocean and we cant detect it. Its there!! Really it is!!
    With the upcoming and new energy resources Earth hour is just like global warming. B.S!!! Ill have my computer on all day!

I dont know weather i should believe in global warming or not.  But isnt it nice to see so many eco friendly inventions though? I mean we live here and are going to for the next couple of centuries so why not keep it clean for the next couple of generations.  Ill probably end up forgetting about this whole thing but if i remember ill probably turn the lights off for a couple minutes just to say i was part of it.

• MadAceMadAce Member Posts: 2,461

I am still trying to figure out the Google spin on it. They do not do anything unless it makes them money.

Good PR?

• DailyBuzzDailyBuzz Member Posts: 2,306

I noticed that here in Atlanta, NBC had devoted the full programming hour to covering how the city had turned it's lights off. I was quite amused, just before I turned off the television.

• BushMonkeyBushMonkey Member Posts: 1,406

Let's just take it to the next step and go back to the caves.

• AnzieAnzie Member Posts: 468

was this today? I didn't notice anything I should start watching the news... not

Originally posted by Spathotan
    The simplest way to put this, is like this. Buying a used/refurbished 360 is on the same plane as sharing a condom in a gangbang with strangers.
  • VampirVampir Member Posts: 4,239

not doing it i already try on a daily basis to conserve the environment.

I drive a diesel truck that gets 25 miles to the gallon in town(with my chip tuning the power down and the mileage up) which produces less emissions then most any prius.

I recycle, i even sort into clear glass, colored glass, papers, cardboard, and plastics.

I dont waste electricity by leaving lights on/

So why do i take an hour to save the environment and give it holiday status when you can actually make a difference by changing your lifestyle.

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you''re one of the 2% who hasn''t, copy & paste this in your signature.

Originally posted by Nasica

Actually Godliest its takes the same amount of pixels used for a black screen as it does a white screen.  The monitor is still on. and the image is still made. The only time the black screen counts is if your monitor is "off". Google made me laugh at this. I am still trying to figure out the Google spin on it. They do not do anything unless it makes them money.

This is utterly incorrect.

An all white page uses approx 75 watts of energy while an all black page uses 59watts.

This can be confirmed with observation as well... Have you ever seen black text burn in to a monitor... what about white text ?

This is because there is more energy required to make that particular pixel white, as opposed to black, that additional energy then burns the image in to the monitor. This applies only to CRT's which make up approx 25% of the worlds monitors which in turn will lead to a saving of 3000 MW/hr per year. Which would amount to a saving of approx $75,000.

Nasica,

Im ohh so tired of listening to your "i am a know it all attitude". In this case I am going to disagree with you. Also I do not believe you are a scientist unless its a hobby. Current flow is dependent upon the type of power supply a PC is using. They vary for different systems. Fractal usage does not change the energy used on a monitor nor the power usage of(name computer here).  While a computer may look like its using less power it is not. Only difference is performance. In the case of googles black out webpage. A designed layout using a program to create a black display does not change your computers energy usage.

A computers power usage is dependent upon that computers power supply. A computer that is on and idle still uses the same amount of energy as if a user was at it. The only difference is current flow or(V) is displaced differently through a system. This applies as well to a monitor. A 240 watt connection is still a 240 watt connection regardless of what the current flow is. The only way it is not is if its disconnected or off. The same applies to your computer system. The only way to save energy on your pc is to turn it off. Perhaps you should take a basic electronics course. I see you have not, if you did you would understand things like current(V) voltage, watts  and power systems.

Now if you would like the power consumption of video cards heres a nice link. Just remember regardless of the card, current flow for your system is still the same dependent on power supply.It is  just placed differently upon the components. Heres the link: www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/gpu-consumption2006_4.html

For future reference know what you are talking about before putting(name appendage here) in your mouth.

P.S  Some computers or monitors have "Energy Saver" components. Those will save energy because they physically cut off power supply when not in use. Most are made this way not to save energy but to prolong the longevity of said component. A black screen on a website is not going to save you energy!

This is utterly incorrect.

An all white page uses approx 75 watts of energy while an all black page uses 59watts.

This can be confirmed with observation as well... Have you ever seen black text burn in to a monitor... what about white text ?

This is because there is more energy required to make that particular pixel white, as opposed to black, that additional energy then burns the image in to the monitor. This applies only to CRT's which make up approx 25% of the worlds monitors which in turn will lead to a saving of 3000 MW/hr per year. Which would amount to a saving of approx $75,000.

Nasica,

Im ohh so tired of listening to your "i am a know it all attitude". In this case I am going to disagree with you. Also I do not believe you are a scientist unless its a hobby. Current flow is dependent upon the type of power supply a PC is using. They vary for different systems. Fractal usage does not change the energy used on a monitor nor the power usage of(name computer here).  While a computer may look like its using less power it is not. Only difference is performance. In the case of googles black out webpage. A designed layout using a program to create a black display does not change your computers energy usage.

A computers power usage is dependent upon that computers power supply. A computer that is on and idle still uses the same amount of energy as if a user was at it. The only difference is current flow or(V) is displaced differently through a system. This applies as well to a monitor. A 240 watt connection is still a 240 watt connection regardless of what the current flow is. The only way it is not is if its disconnected or off. The same applies to your computer system. The only way to save energy on your pc is to turn it off. Perhaps you should take a basic electronics course. I see you have not, if you did you would understand things like current(V) voltage, watts  and power systems.

Now if you would like the power consumption of video cards heres a nice link. Just remember regardless of the card, current flow for your system is still the same dependent on power supply.It is  just placed differently upon the components. Heres the link: www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/gpu-consumption2006_4.html

For future reference know what you are talking about before putting(name appendage here) in your mouth.

P.S  Some computers or monitors have "Energy Saver" components. Those will save energy because they physically cut off power supply when not in use. Most are made this way not to save energy but to prolong the longevity of said component. A black screen on a website is not going to save you energy!

BTW, the symbol for current is (I) and the symbol for voltage is (V), current is not (V).

Quite amusing that you didnt understand even this simple fact, let alone things like Ohm's Law.

Actually Nasica Voltage is the path that current flows so I was correct. As to Ohms law im not going to debate. Dont look for a useless argument on knowledge. You could not defend yourself in my presentation of facts. Go play with your tinker toy lab set now!

Nasica,

yes current is current, voltage is the path current follows, now I did not mention resistance because I had no need to. But now lets go to your comments concerning monitors. First let me say that even if a monitor is connected externally from a computer the wattage used to make it work will stay the same. This is regardless of whats on the monitor or not. If its a 75watt monitor it will get 75 watts of power. Now the placement and or displacement of that power is set on each individual monitor. While a monitor may use more or less power with the screen the initial setting does not change and the usage still remains the same. Just the location of that flow is changed.

As with any power system where the power flow is subjective to the components. In a PC if you have a good processor and a cheap video card then the most power will go to the processor to compensate for the video card. Or with a good video card and a average processor the main power will go to the card and minimal use of the processor. But the same current flow stays the same. Both are the same according to the power source. The only time it differs is if there is a relay, fuse or amp to modify or cut off that current. What you call resistance.

Like I said your statement on monitors are inaccurate and from someone who is actually in the field is not true. I work in the industry currently. Heres my company profile enjoy!! www.altec.com/ealtec/SilverStream/Pages/coprofile.html

Would like to see the report Nasica. Care to link it. Amusing diagram :-D In the circuit is that the ground or a power source? also with the small o is that a relay or a diode. I see the switch.

• frodusfrodus Member Posts: 2,396

Rained last night so Im going to Burn a large pile of tree's on the farm today,ride the 4 wheeler and let my brother and is son ride the dirt bikes.My wife will run just about every damm appliance we have in the house.and the dog will be on the tread mill.

Trade in material assumptions for spiritual facts and make permanent progress.

• KhuzarrzKhuzarrz Member Posts: 578

Originally posted by frodus

.and the dog will be on the tread mill.

That's a forum sig quote if I've ever seen one. Made me laugh ttm.

Also, xpowderx, just give in and admit you're wrong. We all have the wrong information some times, it's no big deal.

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

What a welcome releif it is to find so much outright scorn for the Global Warming brigade in this thread. I feel right at home and strangely confident about the future of the human race again.

I wonder what the next imminent cataclysm will be?

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918

Originally posted by Entreri28

Why is there so much hostility towards this?

I'll tell you why.

Because it's retarded

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• zaphzaph891zaphzaph891 Member Posts: 1

Yellow stone park's going to erupt, plunging the world into nuclear winter.

If you want to be yellow-stone-friendly 'yellow' herein, you need to stop doing anything percussive. This particularly focuses on walking and running. From now on, all non-compulsory movement should be stopped, and compulsory movement should be undertaken in slippery-soled shoes, in the fashion of the 'moon walk' in order to reduce seismic vibrations to an absolute minimum.

At the current rate of decay, unless the big countries start making some serious donations to my seismic vibration offsetting fund, the next generation won't grow up to reach adulthood.