Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gay scientists isolate Christian gene

daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

Here is beaking news from the final frontier of science:

http://www.glumbert.com/media/christiangene 

I think its a good thing this get a final answer and everything can go back to beeing normal.

Comments

• AguyAguy Member Posts: 561

That's gotta be fake.  There is no way the news would allow someone to present Christianity as a bad thing.

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

To be perfectly honest I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few handful of genes that affected your thoughts of religion in general.

edit: likely thoughts.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

I think everyone on this site has the MMO gene.

O_o o_O

• MunkiMunki Member CommonPosts: 2,128

For those who are confused, this is a satire.

Aside from it being a CNNNN news report. Its a poke at Christian Scienctists looking for a gay gene. Rather clever.

after 6 or so years, I had to change it a little...

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

TBH, Gays annoy me less than xtians.

Gays have this great "live and let live" philosophy.

Xtians....well, their intolerance is legendary.

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695
    Originally posted by Wharg0ul

You sure about that "live and let live" philosophy?  The ones I know have the "F*** you if you can't get over what I do" mentality.  But hey, I only have 4 blood relatives that are gay...

• KhuzarrzKhuzarrz Member Posts: 578

It's Xians, not Xtians. X=Christ, NOT Chris ;)

And my Christian relatives are a lot more tolerant of my gay friends than my gay friends are of my Christian relatives...

In the states though, I agree entirely, but over here in Europe, I think there's a LOT less negative feeling toward gays amongst the churches.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by Bigdavo

Unfortunately, most of the MMO developers could use some splicing.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

LOL, fun! :D

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Originally posted by Khuzarrz

And my Christian relatives are a lot more tolerant of my gay friends than my gay friends are of my Christian relatives...

In the states though, I agree entirely, but over here in Europe, I think there's a LOT less negative feeling toward gays amongst the churches.

dude, I was one of the people who helped develop the phrase, back in friggin '93 when all we had was FPT, Email, and ARCHIE.

Instead of tiring my fingers explaining WHY it is so, I'll just drop a link for you here

and, Last I knew, there has never been a gay inquisition, a gay crusade, or any gays saying that xtians shouldn't get married.

I've never read a sign saying "god hates xtians".

I've never heard a gay man demand that rainbow flags be displayed in public schools.

Don't even get me started....

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

The crusades were kinnda gay, sweaty men in armour marching with flags and didnt want to sleep with women!

And i had no idea that "xtians" did mean christians. Now a lot of other posts make much more sense to me ( i believed it was alians).

• KhuzarrzKhuzarrz Member Posts: 578

dude, I was one of the people who helped develop the phrase, back in friggin '93 when all we had was FPT, Email, and ARCHIE.

Instead of tiring my fingers explaining WHY it is so, I'll just drop a link for you here

and, Last I knew, there has never been a gay inquisition, a gay crusade, or any gays saying that xtians shouldn't get married.

I've never heard a gay man demand that rainbow flags be displayed in public schools.

I apologise, but Xian was used since a long time before computers were. It's a standard method for abbreviating when taking notes, or drafting. As confirmed by the philosophy and religion lecturers at uni, who introduced the word to us mentioning that they've been using it since A levels. I can also produce a link like that: www.urbandictionary.com/define.php

The link proves nothing. Just think logically. X is Chi, traditionally used to mean Christos, or Christ in english. Christtian does not make sense. Christian does.

Your argument is like people who abbreviate with numbers, but then still finish the consonant sounds already included in the number (like using an 8, and then having a 't' afterwards. It doesn't make sense phonetically, or with the spelling alone.)

Now, I'm done splitting hairs, the rest of your post is better for debate.

There are also muslims who say that all Christians must convert or die, but we're not allowed to condemn islam, because not all muslims fit that stereotype. Instead we must condemn extremeist islam, and in the same way, feel free to condemn extremeist Christianity. The fact is though, a vast amount of Christians, likely in fact to be in the majority, do not have a problem with gays. The CoE allow gay priests and bishops, the Catholics, whilst asking that homosexual tendancy be supressed, ENCOURAGE gay men into the ministry.

The expression 'hate the sin, love the sinner' is quite a common one amoungst even the most hardline 'extremeist' Christians, and I think that people forget the importance of that. We're so used to what the media teaches us, about the decision/compulsion to be gay being far more important than any other decision in life, we find it easy to condemn the religious for following scripture, or people who take drugs for using, we totally ignore the fact it's just another thing we're either inclined to do, or not inclined to do. I don't see there being any problem in disagreeing with what gay people do, as long as you still treat them with the same respect you give straight people. Even the majority of Evangelicals I know sit in line with that, bringing me back to the point I made, that it's only extremeists that are the problem, not Christianity in itself.

I apologise, but Xian was used since a long time before computers were. It's a standard method for abbreviating when taking notes, or drafting. As confirmed by the philosophy and religion lecturers at uni, who introduced the word to us mentioning that they've been using it since A levels. I can also produce a link like that: www.urbandictionary.com/define.php

The link proves nothing. Just think logically. X is Chi, traditionally used to mean Christos, or Christ in english. Christtian does not make sense. Christian does.

Your argument is like people who abbreviate with numbers, but then still finish the consonant sounds already included in the number (like using an 8, and then having a 't' afterwards. It doesn't make sense phonetically, or with the spelling alone.)

Now, I'm done splitting hairs, the rest of your post is better for debate.

There are also muslims who say that all Christians must convert or die, but we're not allowed to condemn islam, because not all muslims fit that stereotype. Instead we must condemn extremeist islam, and in the same way, feel free to condemn extremeist Christianity. The fact is though, a vast amount of Christians, likely in fact to be in the majority, do not have a problem with gays. The CoE allow gay priests and bishops, the Catholics, whilst asking that homosexual tendancy be supressed, ENCOURAGE gay men into the ministry.

The expression 'hate the sin, love the sinner' is quite a common one amoungst even the most hardline 'extremeist' Christians, and I think that people forget the importance of that. We're so used to what the media teaches us, about the decision/compulsion to be gay being far more important than any other decision in life, we find it easy to condemn the religious for following scripture, or people who take drugs for using, we totally ignore the fact it's just another thing we're either inclined to do, or not inclined to do. I don't see there being any problem in disagreeing with what gay people do, as long as you still treat them with the same respect you give straight people. Even the majority of Evangelicals I know sit in line with that, bringing me back to the point I made, that it's only extremeists that are the problem, not Christianity in itself.

Since you were to busy to read the link before replying, let me cut a little snippet for you:

"Abbreviated form of Christian, often used as a derogatory term by Satanists, militant Atheists, etc. It is derived from the use of X as an abbreviation for Christ, as in Xmas. Strictly speaking, this rule dictates it be spelled "xian," but it is spelled "xtian" to avoid confusion with the city of Xian,China."

Beyond that, I live in Colorado Springs, Colorado. This city is THE battleground between XTIANS and gays (and everyone else for that matter).

Just take a look at our newspaper some time.

Focus on the Family, New Life Church, Summit Ministries, just to name a few of the wonderfun bands of Xtian fundie groups who have infested the area. They hold protests in the streets at gay men's funerals.

And when, Ironically, Ted Haggard  (former head of New Life) was found to have slept with a gay prostitute, he was forced to resign. (CNN link) Even more amusing, he was sent to recieve "treatment" so that he could be "cured" of being gay!!!

I live in the middle of this battleground. The Churches using their monetary and political influence to have clubs and shops shut down. Having protests SO disruptive that the police themselves encouraged shop-owners to turn their water hoses on the protesters.

And in case you're wondering, I'm not gay, but I AM A Luciferian (Often confused with Satanism). I've seen 35 years of xtian prosecution on a personal level. I've been charged guilty in courts simply BECAUSE of my religion, by xtian judges.

I've had to fight my entire life for the RIGHT to not be Xtian. I've lived in several differant states, across the country, and it's the same everywhere, it's not isolated.

Xtianity's intolerance of other faiths, lifestyles, and ways of thinking is rather shocking. Entire nations have been forced under threat of torture and death to conform to it's belief system. Advances in medicine and science are halted or stifled because they believe it's "against god".

How many lives could be saved if only they would just go about practicing their faith their own way, BY THEMSELVES and leave the rest of us alone?

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

Me thinks someone has become a little overzealous in their attempt at superciliousness.

• LondonMagusLondonMagus Member Posts: 700

Originally posted by daarco

I think its a good thing this get a final answer and everything can go back to beeing normal.
    Hmmm. Amusing but unlike sexuality, religion is an acquired trait not an inherited one

http://www.deucesblog.com/2006/04/the_christian_memeplex.html

No offence intended to anyone though, the science of memetics is still pretty theoretical.

Isn't it funny though how the word meme has become just that on the internet.

If you can't "Have your cake & eat it too", then how can "The proof of the pudding be in the eating"?

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515

Originally posted by LondonMagus

Originally posted by daarco

Hmmm. Amusing but unlike sexuality, religion is an acquired trait not an inherited one

http://www.deucesblog.com/2006/04/the_christian_memeplex.html

No offence intended to anyone though, the science of memetics is still pretty theoretical.

Isn't it funny though how the word meme has become just that on the internet.

First its a spoof aimed at the fanatical Christian scientists who treat Gayness as a Disease or form of dementia.

Second its something very similar to racism against blacks.

Thirdly why bump a dead topic?

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

I have the opposite viewpoint. Ive seen gay intolerance. Makes the Christian intolerance look like a trip to Six Flags.

And stop bringing up dead threads!!

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• ZikielZikiel Member Posts: 1,138
    Originally posted by Zorvan

Originally posted by Bigdavo

Unfortunately, most of the MMO developers could use some splicing.

No! You fools! You've spliced the raid gene to the fetch quest enzyme! Noooo! Wait.. oh my god, it has the head of perpetual server downtime!

• VampirVampir Member Posts: 4,239

people are people, gays, christians, black, white, asian, native american, indian, european, etc.

Its the person and the way they choose to react to their upbringing and environment are the only things that make a difference.

This genetics determines if we drink,smoke,do well in school.

Is merely a very convienent scapegoat for societies problems.

In this particular case the "gay gene" some are searching for is a way for religious zealots to condemn homosexuality as a whole without being labeled as biggotry, because "its in their genes"

Its kind of like saying that having black people suck, however black skin is an abnormal skin condition, so we can hate them without feeling like biggots.

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you''re one of the 2% who hasn''t, copy & paste this in your signature.

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202

Yeah and all this reserch has returned no evdience of a gay gene.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

• LondonMagusLondonMagus Member Posts: 700

Originally posted by Arndur

Yeah and all this reserch has returned no evdience of a gay gene.

That's because if human genetics were that simple, we would all be like MMO customised avatars.

There is strong evidence that a wide range of traits both positive & negative are influnced by genetics, such as musical ability, mental illness, athletic ability, obesity, good humour, fiery temper, good health, propensity to cancer etc.

It just isn't as simple as identifying a single gene for everything & the expression of genetic factors is also influenced by both physical & mental environmental factors.

The original video might have been an obvious mild spoof, but I can actually remember reading about a study on the genetic propensity for religious belief & the ability to handle uncertainty in the world.

Homophobia is worse than other forms of prejudice because sadly for many people it still has a religious endorsement.

If you can't "Have your cake & eat it too", then how can "The proof of the pudding be in the eating"?

• arvainisarvainis Member Posts: 548

Seems to me that genes make you predisposed to certain things but your environment, upbringing, and the choices you make in life turn you into what you are today. 

"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." ~ Ronald Reagan