Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The next Big Roleplaying Game?

mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396

Citadel of Sorcery. 

This game looks like it may be one of the games that we have finally been waiting for.  A game where you don't just have to grind, but where there are many adventures to go on.  Where everything you do has an effect on what happens later. 

You can check out the game on this site (just added to game list Feb. 28th)

Go to their home website -

http://www.citadelofsorcery.com/

I seriously think that this is different form all those regular games out there.  This could be the next great RPG that everyone has been talking about.

Opinions?  Thoughts?

Comments

• phatpeteyphatpetey Member Posts: 323

I don't think this will be the big break-through. It looks like a great MMORPG but I think it's not going to become a top-game, altough I can't say alot about this game because you can really find alot of information on their site. The graphics don't look bad, but there are MMORPGs with better graphics. And I don't really like the lay-out of the site, but that's just my opinion. 

Then something else, I don't think the market for giant breakthrough-RPGs like this is big enough to become a succesfull market. That's something I often notice when I look at other really good RPGs that the community is very small. That's really sad, because hardcore RPG'ers could really use a good non-grinden MMORPG. 

Greetz

• EchelonsEchelons Member Posts: 80

I think the games biggest downfall is probably the amateur way they've gone about promoting it.  First you find it by accident essentially.  It's pretty easy to get your game put on the MMORPG.com game list directory and it's not there.  Every chance they get on the site they make sure you know that the game is self proclaimed "ground breaking".  It really comes off as silly to me.

The other flaw is the fact that the graphics are decent but the design in which they put together the areas in the screenshots is terrible.  There's no artistic flow to any of the areas, its like they just randomly picked textures to go on different surfaces.  I know cities aren't supposed to match but a little bit of logical coordination would do it a lot of good, right now it just hurts my eyes.

The lighting and other such aesthetic things aren't very dynamic.  Like the previous poster said it just won't have a large player base for the reasons I've listed above, regardless of how "ground breaking" the game design is.  And as much praise as it may or may not get from the RP community, nobody wants to play an MMORPG by themselves.

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396
    Originally posted by phatpetey

I don't think this will be the big break-through. It looks like a great MMORPG but I think it's not going to become a top-game, altough I can't say alot about this game because you can really find alot of information on their site. The graphics don't look bad, but there are MMORPGs with better graphics. And I don't really like the lay-out of the site, but that's just my opinion. 

Then something else, I don't think the market for giant breakthrough-RPGs like this is big enough to become a succesfull market. That's something I often notice when I look at other really good RPGs that the community is very small. That's really sad, because hardcore RPG'ers could really use a good non-grinden MMORPG. 

Greetz

They are making graphic improvements later on in the development. 

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Maybe.

Their design is impressive.  It eats alive any released game and most to-be-release MMOs.

Can they back it up?  We will see.

It may be a Darkfall, a Mourning, an Imperator, a Wish...or a Dark and Light, a Vanguard....or maybe even a good/great game.  It has my interest...

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• NicelsaNicelsa Member Posts: 2

I think I will keep an eye on it.

• cellmarttcellmartt Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by Echelons

I think the games biggest downfall is probably the amateur way they've gone about promoting it.  First you find it by accident essentially.  It's pretty easy to get your game put on the MMORPG.com game list directory and it's not there.  Every chance they get on the site they make sure you know that the game is self proclaimed "ground breaking".  It really comes off as silly to me.
    The other flaw is the fact that the graphics are decent but the design in which they put together the areas in the screenshots is terrible.  There's no artistic flow to any of the areas, its like they just randomly picked textures to go on different surfaces.  I know cities aren't supposed to match but a little bit of logical coordination would do it a lot of good, right now it just hurts my eyes.
    The lighting and other such aesthetic things aren't very dynamic.  Like the previous poster said it just won't have a large player base for the reasons I've listed above, regardless of how "ground breaking" the game design is.  And as much praise as it may or may not get from the RP community, nobody wants to play an MMORPG by themselves.

Yeah, agree with you. But we maybe should forgive them, not good promotion way, if no promotion, it of course will die

• fischsemmelfischsemmel Member UncommonPosts: 364

After reading you guys basically saying "No one will play it no matter how sweet it is, because the graphics are sub-par", I was going to post and make fun of you all for being so shallow that graphics are such a deciding factor in your opinions.

But then I went to the site and looked at the graphics. They're a notch above a 1998 single player RPG I replayed the other day... but they LOOK terrible.

Eh... maybe I take it back. They could grow on me. They do look like they are straight out of 2000 though.

Edit - They say they are working towards a playable prototype? Heh. My ultimate MMO (it's a WoW killer, believe me) is in about the same stage of development. Keep an eye on this one, folks!

• CharlizdCharlizd Member UncommonPosts: 923

I think you will find that the WEbsite and game will impeove greatly over the next few (months/Years) what you are seeing now is just a teaser so you can see what they are trying to achieve Especially the website is was merely put up at this stage so if people do get an interest astleast they have something to follow and from the features they are talking about implementing i think they are on Par with What this genre needs and i dont think they will let that get away from them by making a sub par Graphics game they will make sure that it lives upto the features that will drive this game, or maybe they wont */shrugs

But my prediction is that they will make some big improvements in time to come if they want to survive in this gaming age then that would be there wisest move (i wish Graphics were not such a big factor but unfortunately they are).

Andrew "Charlizd" Phippen | Lead World Builder | The Saga of Lucimia MMORPG
  • EchelonsEchelons Member Posts: 80

Originally posted by fischsemmel

After reading you guys basically saying "No one will play it no matter how sweet it is, because the graphics are sub-par", I was going to post and make fun of you all for being so shallow that graphics are such a deciding factor in your opinions.

But then I went to the site and looked at the graphics. They're a notch above a 1998 single player RPG I replayed the other day... but they LOOK terrible.

Eh... maybe I take it back. They could grow on me. They do look like they are straight out of 2000 though.

Edit - They say they are working towards a playable prototype? Heh. My ultimate MMO (it's a WoW killer, believe me) is in about the same stage of development. Keep an eye on this one, folks!

Also note that nowhere in my post did I say I was judging the game on its graphics, I stated more so that the MMORPG genre and the general demographic playing it would not be so forgiving, and in turn its doomed to have maybe 2-3 servers worth of people at most.

• zoe0722zoe0722 Member Posts: 4

maybe~~

• bensonzhong1bensonzhong1 Member Posts: 3

A good rpg game, I will try it

• kerry1005kerry1005 Member Posts: 14

I am looking forward to a new game developed by Blizzard

• homeewshomeews Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by cellmartt

Yeah, agree with you. But we maybe should forgive them, not good promotion way, if no promotion, it of course will die

Agree too. No good design, as well as no appropriate promotion way,  so how will it be "ground-breaking"?

• LopalesaLopalesa Member Posts: 1

What a game can be a big one or why do you think it can be?

I will only choose one which can be or had been accepted by 60% of players who know or played it, so was it so? I don't know, but I just got a little knowledge about it.

Originally posted by homeews

Originally posted by cellmartt

Agree too. No good design, as well as no appropriate promotion way,  so how will it be "ground-breaking"?

Graphics are just a placeholder, and the site is getting updated later on as well.

• mislempoylsmislempoyls Member Posts: 1

The biggest downfall of the games is the amateur way they've gone about promoting it.  The other flaw is the fact that the graphics are decent but the design in which they put together the areas in the screenshots is terrible. 

Originally posted by mislempoyls

The biggest downfall of the games is the amateur way they've gone about promoting it.  The other flaw is the fact that the graphics are decent but the design in which they put together the areas in the screenshots is terrible. 

I gues we'll just have to repeat ourselves......

Graphics are placeholders

Site is getting updated later on in development.