Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

couple newb ?'s

stryker134stryker134 Member Posts: 31

So I am in my newb ship doing some mining. Other than buying a new ship (cant afford that) can i use containers or something to hold more ore? I have read a little bit on that but I dont quite understand the whole concept of jettison the canisters and then somehow moving them with another ship. I am just looking to be able to carry a little more at the moment.

Also i bought an upgrade for my ming laser but I cant apply it because i have not trained enough in upgrades or something. My abilities says I am qualified to train on this but for some reason i cant....

Today i was doing my thing....digging for rocks and someone came up and started PvP. I just warped out of there like a little wimp. Was that considered bad etiquette or should I have stayed and got my butt kicked? LOL

Well, so far so good i guess. I think this game may keep my attention for awhile as it seems there are so many different aspects.

Thanks in advance for your comments....good or bad...any advice is appreciated!

Comments

• TesinatoTesinato Member UncommonPosts: 222

Firstly, what race are you?  If caldari, I'd say go for an osprey.    Only way to hold more ore in your cargo hold is to buy expanded cargohold I's.  If your in .7 and below, you can anchor a can out in space if you ahve anchoring 1.  Other then that, yo ucan jettison a can by right clicking on the ore.  I wouldn't recommend it as ore thief's are more then happy to take newbies ore away.  As far as the pvp, no, there is no real etiquette about it.  Warp away and avoid it unless you want to pvp.  I'd suggest finding a corp that may suit your needs better, as the starting corp you are in when you join tends to have some weird folks that love to cause trouble.  If you have anymore questions, you can message me on xfire, it is in my sig, or message me.  I have no problems helping a newbie out.  Welcome to eve.

• stryker134stryker134 Member Posts: 31

I am a gallante. Thanks for the help.

Any tips on finding a good corp?

• FinwolvenFinwolven Member Posts: 289

So I am in my newb ship doing some mining. Other than buying a new ship (cant afford that) can i use containers or something to hold more ore? I have read a little bit on that but I dont quite understand the whole concept of jettison the canisters and then somehow moving them with another ship. I am just looking to be able to carry a little more at the moment.

To jettison, right-click the ore in your inventory and select 'jettison'. This creates a 'jetcan' next to your ship with the jettisoned ore inside. Open the can, and start putting the ore from your cargo into the can as your lasers cycle. This is 'jetcan mining'. A jetcan holds 25 000 m3 of ore at max, and is deleted (disappears) after about a hour and a half in gametime, so make sure you haul it away before that happens.

Also i bought an upgrade for my ming laser but I cant apply it because i have not trained enough in upgrades or something. My abilities says I am qualified to train on this but for some reason i cant....

You need to purchase the skillbook from the market to be able to train a new skill, one you have no previous ranks in. You can see the required skills of the module in the 'required skills' tab of the modules info window.

Today i was doing my thing....digging for rocks and someone came up and started PvP. I just warped out of there like a little wimp. Was that considered bad etiquette or should I have stayed and got my butt kicked? LOL

Congratulations on your escape! Most pirates tend to scramble your warpdrive to keep you from escaping. While mining, your ship is generally rather helpless, because to maximise mining output you don't usually fit it for fighting at all. Thus, running fast and smart is the only defense you have. Running saved your ship and your money.

For PVP in EVE, anything goes. Ambush, backstab, escape & evasion, any tactic that gives you an edge or leaves you with your ship in one piece is acceptable.

I hope you'll enjoy your time in EVE!

Someone bought  1 piece of tritanium ore from me off the market . I had the price at like 3.11 and they gave me 9 mill isk for 1 piece? LOL I thought it would take me a year to see that kind of isk.

I take it that is someone helping out a newb?

• airstrikeairstrike Member UncommonPosts: 373

Well there can be 2 explanations to someone buying 1 trit for 9mil isk,either they were tired and werent paying attention or they wanted to help you out.

And tbh 9mil isk isnt much,even for a complete noob to eve,you can earn that in less then 10 mins if you are extremly lucky while ratting.Mining is a slow and steady income,but it doesnt fluctuate and there is also the bonus of a faction rat spawning in your belt.While ratting in any non 0.0 system is a luck based isk making occupation.You could make 1mil in 1 hour or get 5 faction spawns in a row and make 100mil.

• BluefixBluefix Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by airstrike

And tbh 9mil isk isnt much,even for a complete noob to eve,you can earn that in less then 10 mins if you are extremly lucky while ratting.

You may get lucky even as a noob and get 9 million, but saying it's not much is just plain stupid

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Originally posted by stryker134

Someone bought  1 piece of tritanium ore from me off the market . I had the price at like 3.11 and they gave me 9 mill isk for 1 piece? LOL I thought it would take me a year to see that kind of isk.

Several items in your posts are inconsistent. 

First, no one can buy anything directly off of you on the market. If you listed your 1 piece of ore for 3.11 ISK, and it was the lowest price on the market at that moment, they could buy it from you at 3.11 ISK.  You can not pay people directly for items on the market, nor can you overpay someone. 

Now, someone could have decided to direct transfer you 9 million (there's a give money feature) and directly deposit it into your wallet, which would make more sense as people frequently give noobs cash. (I've given away 25million isk on multiple occasions)

Now, as for the pirate activity.  If you are still in the NPC starter corp you were first assigned, there's really no way for a pirate to attack you in empire space (security status .5-1.0)  unless you first attack him.  One trick frequently done to new players is someone steals a can of their ore trying to prompt them to fire first, giving the pirate a right to kill you. As long as you don't shoot them, they won't attack you. 

Sure, they may steal few cans of ore, but their ships can't hold much, so another trick they do is to steal it, then jettison it back out.  If you go pick up the ore thats now in their can, they can shoot you for stealing, so don't touch it. (will be yellow in color)

In reading your post I suggest you go back and do the tutorial another time, and consider reading many of the fine new player guides that are all over the Web.

Here's a great one to start off with. 

www.battleclinic.com/forum/index.php/topic,3510.msg14690.html

If mining is really your thing, then this guide will be invaluable:

myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp

and really good stuff in the links found at this site, especially regarding agents and mission running.

www.eve-survival.org/

Finally, are you sure you built your character correctly?  If combat is your forte, then I'd recommend you follow the guildelines set here and reroll a new one.

wiki.goonfleet.com/index.php

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Bluefix

Originally posted by airstrike

And tbh 9mil isk isnt much,even for a complete noob to eve,you can earn that in less then 10 mins if you are extremly lucky while ratting.

You may get lucky even as a noob and get 9 million, but saying it's not much is just plain stupid

Well, its all a matter of relatively.  While I certainly wouldn't throw away 9 million I have given new players 25 million ISK on 4 or 5 occasions when they showed promise.  I've routinely donated up to 100 million ISK to my corporation and pay dues of about 100m ISK a month.

As you get further into the game money becomes easier to make therefor you don't work to hang on to is quite so tightly (at least until you try to buy yourself a capitol ship)

My own current net worth included 2.2 billion in ISK, and  I've got probably another 1.5 billion invested in implants, ships, and other gear.

And I'm not even considered rich by EVE standards, just sort of an average player really.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• schawoschawo Member Posts: 135

Originally posted by Kyleran

Several items in your posts are inconsistent. 

First, no one can buy anything directly off of you on the market. If you listed your 1 piece of ore for 3.11 ISK, and it was the lowest price on the market at that moment, they could buy it from you at 3.11 ISK.  You can not pay people directly for items on the market, nor can you overpay someone. 

Sorry, but I can't agree with you. If you sell trit for 3.11, and you are the lowest selling price, you can have a jackpot, and win 9mils by selling a single trit. How?

If there is someone wanting to transfer money through market from a trial account (no other way) to another account, the isk reciever must put up a sell order of 1 trit (or any other item) for 9mils. The other (trial) account have to buy it, and, tadaaa, 9 mils are tranfered.

BUT if the seller is brainless, and put this magic tritanium on market where other sell orders are active, always the lowest priced tritanium will be sold. Which ofc is not the one up for 9m. Even if the buyer right-clicks on the 9 mill sell order and select "buy"... AND IT WILL BE SOLD FOR 9 MILS.

• remontoireremontoire Member Posts: 16

I'm going to assume that I will make a lot of enemies fast if I just show up in an Asteroid belt and start attacking/destroying random miners.

So tempting though...

• BluefixBluefix Member Posts: 166

Well, its all a matter of relatively.  While I certainly wouldn't throw away 9 million I have given new players 25 million ISK on 4 or 5 occasions when they showed promise.  I've routinely donated up to 100 million ISK to my corporation and pay dues of about 100m ISK a month.
    As you get further into the game money becomes easier to make therefor you don't work to hang on to is quite so tightly (at least until you try to buy yourself a capitol ship)
    My own current net worth included 2.2 billion in ISK, and  I've got probably another 1.5 billion invested in implants, ships, and other gear.
    And I'm not even considered rich by EVE standards, just sort of an average player really.

You're completely right. I myself have around 20 billion in asets. However airstrike was already taking relativity into consideration when saying 9 million isn't much for a noob, which of course is very far from the truth.

You absolutely can over pay someone on the market. I just tried it. When you look at all the sell orders for a certain product you can pick any one of them out and click on it. Doesnt have to be the least expensive to pull that up. Then you will get the confirmation message...buy 1 veld for 3.09.... you have the option to click on advanced and you can pay them any amount of money over their min price.

• jakojakojakojako Member Posts: 332

mining's for wimps

• gmmonkeygmmonkey Member Posts: 194

I'll tell you what happened. Someone was running an alt trial account and tried to transfer money to there main. Trial accounts cant transfer money for isk farmer reasons. So he would of tried to launder money through the market. What happened was, they guy up 1 piece of trit for 9 mill, which is likely how much money they had on their trial account. Then, he would of got his trial alt to buy that piece of trit in the view that the money would be transferred to his main. Unfortunately for him, and myself in the past, that it doesn't work like that. I can't remember exactly but it transfers to the next person on the market or something. I lost 150 million when I tried to start a trading alt, but gave because I couldn't be bothered. So, I tried to transfer back to my main but lost it.

• MChavezMChavez Member Posts: 142

Originally posted by jakojako

mining's for wimps

And without "wimps" you wouldn't have a ship to pew pew in! :)

Currently playing: No MMOs. They all suck.

Originally posted by MChavez

Originally posted by jakojako

mining's for wimps

And without "wimps" you wouldn't have a ship to pew pew in! :)

So true. I don't mine, but EVEs the type of game where every action is a vital part of the overall game economy.  If no one mined...no one would have any ships... so be nice to your local miner today.

(also why I would never waste time baiting miner noobs just to kill defenseless folks)

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

so be nice to your local miner today.

If you want to extend on that, invite miners into your corp, put them in 0.0 belts with good ores, and defend them. They will happily give you new shiny toys to blow up while you protect them, and you will get a whole lot to shoot because others will want to pop your miners.
    It's a nice win-win situation! :)

Every miner I knew werent willing to make lots of stuff for the corp. They moan when you ask to make ships and they moan when you ask them to help defend the system. That's why you don't see them in the bigger strong alliances. We used to have industrialists in the corp ages ago, but they ended up leaving or getting the boot because they weren't willing to help out with the corp.

Originally posted by gmmonkey
    That's why you don't see them in the bigger strong alliances.

We have one of the strongest industrial backbones in Eve.
    We have more than 6 Titans.
    And a huge mass of miners. Or what did you think where all those minerals came from?

Can't really agree on the miner-part. It's the job of the corp to integrate them, and they will fight. You should've seen the hordes of miners in hacs and carriers while we were sieging y-2ano..

• SonOfAGhostSonOfAGhost Member Posts: 383

Originally posted by gmmonkeyThat's why you don't see them in the bigger strong alliances. We used to have industrialists in the corp ages ago, but they ended up leaving or getting the boot because they weren't willing to help out with the corp.
    You fail at understanding Eve. Here's a hint, players aren't organized into groups called corporations by accident.

As for the 9 mil unit of trit. Unlike some other games you can't choose who you buy from, only which station you buy it at and how much you pay for it. If there's 100 orders selling something at the same station it doesn't matter which one you select off the list you will ALWAYS buy from the lowest priced seller. You will however pay the price of the order you selected. As mentioned previously this is intended by CCP to limit the ease of circumventing trial accounts being unable to give isk to others.

Originally posted by batolemaeus

That's why you don't see them in the bigger strong alliances.

We have one of the strongest industrial backbones in Eve.

We have more than 6 Titans.

And a huge mass of miners. Or what did you think where all those minerals came from?

Can't really agree on the miner-part. It's the job of the corp to integrate them, and they will fight. You should've seen the hordes of miners in hacs and carriers while we were sieging y-2ano..

Fair enough. I take back my point. I guess I'm just wary of industrialists and the problems they've caused to our corp in the past. I was tired when I'd wrote that and not much thought put into it. The point I believe I was going to make was, industrialists aren't always required to make a strong alliance.

Originally posted by SonOfAGhost

Originally posted by gmmonkeyThat's why you don't see them in the bigger strong alliances. We used to have industrialists in the corp ages ago, but they ended up leaving or getting the boot because they weren't willing to help out with the corp.
    You fail at understanding Eve. Here's a hint, players aren't organized into groups called corporations by accident.

I'm not sure what your point is, beyond being dramatic.

The point I believe I was going to make was, industrialists aren't always required to make a strong alliance.

In my opinion, wars in Eve are no longer only won by the guys with bigger ships. If you have two powers fighting each other, the one will win that can bring more ships, fuel and ammo to the front, and replace losses more effectively than the opponent.
    If you can, as an alliance, supply your members with multiple battleships for replacement, you can run a war for a long, long time. The most effective way to do that, is a strong industrial and logistical backbone with organized supply lines.

I think wars in Eve have advanced. They have become more massive, with extreme losses on both sides. People throw capitals at each other, with battleships as support. Huge amounts of stuff is blown up in those engagements, and you have to replace it.

I have seen some corps who decided that their members had to get their own supplies. They are now weaker than those with a shipreplacement-program and own production.