Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Shadowbane worth coming back to?

PlasmicredxPlasmicredx Member Posts: 629

I heard about the reboot and it had the unexpected effect of making me want to try it again. Is it worth playing again? I have nothing but bad and horrible memories of this game. Everything about it was bad. The only good parts were guilds and wars. Nothing else.

Also, hacks and exploits were rampant the last time I played before it became free (that was the last time I played). Are people still exploiting and using lame shit in this game?

Am I just jumping back into the same shitty game?

Or can I expect it to be like jumping in a simple FPS game where it's all just about fun and playing an awesome game?

New:

Now that the game has released... how is it guys? Is it all I expected it would be? A pile of trash? Or are you guys having fun in there with no interuption? Are the exploits gone? Can I install the game now?...

I have to admit, deep inside I want to install this thing that's been sitting on my desktop for nearly a week now. But, I won't cave in and I'll be true to my word. Anyone care to put an end to my self-inflicted misery?

Comments

• undiesusaundiesusa Member Posts: 116

I dunno, having a guild helps. i know for me I am chomping at the bit to start on a fresh server, with new enemies, and a completely fresh start.

• PlasmicredxPlasmicredx Member Posts: 629

Well I'll tell you one thing, I downloaded this piece of crap to my desktop and I won't be installing it until someone can answer my question.

Anyways, I doubt Shadowbane has such a huge playerbase that it can get by with letting one less person who has it walk away from it. So I'll probably get lied to by one of these guys and they'll tell me how great it is. I probably shouldn't even bother asking, I guess. :(

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

The only thing I can think of is if its free, has been rebooted, whats the harm in giving it a shot and finding it out for yourself? The best opinion you can find would be your own. No harm, no foul.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• ArzhAngelArzhAngel Member Posts: 427

Hey all. 

Well I have never really playd it becuse when i tryd i was to lat. after lvl 10 - 15 I was killd on sight. 

But before that and still today, the class system seem so unik, and it has alot of acpects that are not seen in other games at that level. 

Im starting on a fresh server, thou i do not know what server yet. There is still alot of thing about this game i dont know. 

But i hope it will be fun, and that it can keep me till AOC or WH come out. 

:)

[quote]Seriously, with an attitude like that you think you deserve an answer?[/quote]

A lot of the attitude is just to be funny. I do apologize if I have really come across as offensive.

The game really was bad though. It deserves a kick to the balls. I honestly don't see why anyone would get offended if you play Shadowbane either; especially if you STILL play it in its free-to-play atmosphere that has absolutely no moderation of any sort. Not to mention the people who played it were all about having attitudes and griefing people if you weren't in their guild most of the time because it was "fun."

I'm not saying you have to buy into this theory, but it was one of the driving philosophies of this game that you get the best level and army and then crush your enemies or just anyone you felt like. With a public chat, you can make fun of anyone in any way you like as well. This became even MORE so when the game went free and lost a moderator service (I don't even know if it had one in the first place). Without one the game will be ruined by exploits and hacks unless the developers are still hanging around coding fixes. However, the game was so badly executed that the intense lag upon release and corpse loot teleportation and other bugs, hacks, and exploits that many people left the game or returned it before they even played the game for five minutes. Are the devs still around fixing things? It's probably safe to assume they aren't. Anyway, with these conditions, the playerbase is unlikely to submit bugs or exploits they find as well. To this day I find that this is something everyone should be able to laugh about. You know, kinda like how when something goes horribly wrong in history you try to avoid letting it happen again lest you make everyone want to puke all over again.

I'm exagerating a lot of it though. The game idea was quite cool. The game had some innovative ideas like stances for all classes. You could block other players from moving and have wars. You could just be a lone murder or bandit and all that fun stuff.

Anyway, there are more people than me who'd like an answer out there. I wouldn't withold such silly information on my account.

Do their regular patches fix things like mobs just sitting around doing nothing while people kill them and/or newbs hiding under rocks while getting power leveled? If that's going on still (and I know it was a year ago) then I can't believe there's not hundreds of other exploits or even hacks running around out there.

And I know that's a big assumption but dude, come on, there's gotta be more to it than just that.

It's "crappy point and click." However, I believe you can't walk through each other, or it might be that you can use a skill to prevent players from running through you. I forgot.

Also, another interesting thing is a party leader can control the party's movement and give commands for people to move with the group. This allows a guild to move as a unit.

I think a person could say "Wow, this game is actually kinda cool... for a point and click MMORPG."

• xeeeemeeeeeoxeeeemeeeeeo Member Posts: 20

The game is click to move, not WASD.  So what?  So was Diablo 2, and that rocked.  If you can get past the first few minutes of having no idea what to do and get accustomed to the UI the game is a lot of fun IMO.

My a few people from my World of Warcraft guild are planning on rerolling tomorrow when the servers come up.  I got them started a week or so ago before they took the servers down to remove all the things that the OP was bitching out: hacks, dupes, and bugs.  I'm sure they wont take care of EVERYTHING, however, I expect improvements.

This is not a PvE game.  This is a strategic PvP nation on nation warfare game.  You roll a new character once every week or so to test out new builds or to counter your enemies tactics.  The characters are so customizable that it is insane.  I can think of at least 10 builds of warrior that are all totally unique and have different roles. 

Expect to get to 50+ the first day.  Expect to powerlevel your other characters.  Expect to get killed and all your money looted once you hit 20+.   Expect to be paranoid while farming.  Expect smack talk.  Expect rivalries.  Expect your mouth to get you and your guild into trouble.  Expect politics between guilds to be intense and meaningful.  Expect a shoddily planned city to get destroyed faster.

I love this game.  I agree that in the past some of the bugs and lag made it unplayable.  Let us hope that the reboot allows time for these things to be fixed.

Here is a link to my unofficial "starting shadowbane" guide.  http://www.anarchs.com/viewtopic.php?t=6074

If the downloader link doesnt work just get it from the shadowbane main page.  Good luck and hope to see you in game.

"My a few people from my World of Warcraft guild are planning on rerolling tomorrow when the servers come up.  I got them started a week or so ago before they took the servers down to remove all the things that the OP was bitching out: hacks, dupes, and bugs.  I'm sure they wont take care of EVERYTHING, however, I expect improvements."

I didn't get what you meant. Do you mean you submitted a bug report or something? Do you have contacts with the developers? Anyways, that's good news if there will be improvements.

"I agree that in the past some of the bugs and lag made it unplayable."

Dude, I had a friend who bought the game and installed it a couple of days after Shadowbane launched (I went down to the store and got it on launch day). I had already warned my friend of the issues with lag and the login server issues beforehand, but even so, he had so much trouble playing that he uninstalled the game after 4 minutes of gameplay after creating his first character. You could say maybe he missed out on playing a game with some of the greatest features in the world but in a lot of ways he was lucky too.

I kept playing and got to level 67 on a Templar as one of the fastest levelers because I would stay up for 48 hours playing the game straight like an idiot. I endured login issues, ten minute lag spikes, and constant corpse teleporting. Oh yeah let's not forget the flying bug when you wanna fly over buildings oh MAN...

I will try to have hope for this game but I have little faith or none as well.

• xeeeemeeeeeoxeeeemeeeeeo Member Posts: 20

If you read the SBG forums you would know that the developers know all about the state of their game.  Read some of the patch notes.  I expect good things.

I beta tested the game, so I knew all about the bugs that we encountered upon release.  It wasn't as much of a shock to me.  I still went out and bought two copies so my friend who was overseas at the time could use one of the CD keys to start up an account with us.  So yea, I spent $100 + $15/month at the start and got several characters to r6 before all my friends couldn't take the game anymore and quit. 

I personally, never used the link that is on my website.  I was told it was a better alternative to fileplanet (which is what I used) so I included it.  Sorry that I can't be of more help.

I kinda wanted to go off and talk about the whole point and click thing again... Diablo 2 had action elements like Barbarian Whirlwind and jump and other abilities that gave a more real-time element to their game. In Shadowbane, I don't recall abilities other than flight and running faster away from people so you can kite them. It's really not the same element of skill that Diablo 2 would reward the player in PvP for. It's still, however, closer to the RTS side than Diablo 2. The RTS element makes Shadowbane's faults in that regard more obscure and harder to notice if a player manages to get into Shadowbane.

• throckmortonthrockmorton Member Posts: 314

Originally posted by zymurgeist
    Let me know which guild you wind up in so I can burn your shit to the ground.
    Seriously, with an attitude like that you think you deserve an answer?

Lol, I love it. I'm definitely in a Shadowbane forum.

A lot of bugs are fixed, but there's still a lot that needs to be worked on. If all that you want in an MMO is polish, then you shouldn't come back.

In the meantime I will be enjoying the MMO that has the best game mechanics and concepts currently released. If only SBG could give this game WoW level of polish . . .

Originally posted by throckmorton

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Let me know which guild you wind up in so I can burn your shit to the ground.

Seriously, with an attitude like that you think you deserve an answer?

Lol, I love it. I'm definitely in a Shadowbane forum.

A lot of bugs are fixed, but there's still a lot that needs to be worked on. If all that you want in an MMO is polish, then you shouldn't come back.

In the meantime I will be enjoying the MMO that has the best game mechanics and concepts currently released. If only SBG could give this game WoW level of polish . . .

Are you saying I'm shallow and that's why I won't play Shadowbane?

Polish? No... a game that works and is fun? Yeah. When I think of polish I think of shiny graphics and smooth animation. Many people grew up playing games on the NES/SNES/Genesis/Atari2600/whatever. I could care less if Shadowbane looked like Ultima Online. You see, the problems that make the game come to a hault are things that make fun stop and isn't fun for anybody. I can only imagine some guy sitting in front of his screen shouting "YIPPIEEEEE! THIS IS FUN!" (and sincerely mean it) when their character dissapears off the login screen forever or the server freezes for ten minutes so they get out of their chair and skip to their kitchen to make a sandwich.

Now that the game has released... how is it guys? Is it all I expected it would be? A pile of trash? Or are you guys having fun in there with no interuption? Are the exploits gone? Can I install the game now?...

I have to admit, deep inside I want to install this thing that's been sitting on my desktop for nearly a week now. But, I won't cave in and I'll be true to my word. Anyone care to put an end to my self-inflicted misery?

• HowHighHowHigh Member Posts: 30

Well 3 new servers have become live and the rest have been destroyed. So far i have been playing the lore server Saedron which we have had no problems.

Malog is the arac server but atm has a very large population so the pvp is there but so is the sb.exe and the lag to boot. But I'm sure that wont last its just people taking time off work to get the extra hours in game to level and farm.

The last server is called Thurin which is another arac server so far it has had no problems because of its low population.

http://armageddon1.19.forumer.com/