Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions about GW

prox916prox916 Member Posts: 2

I want to try this game and planning on purchasing it today.

1) I want EVERYTHING (all pve apsects and all pvp aspects) which game/s should i purchase?

2) I read somewhere you only need one game, so does that mean instead of buying all the guildwar games, i can just purchase one, and when i enter into an expansion area i don't have, it will be downloaded free from there (heard on another post)

3) If question 2 is false, which game/s would you recommend if you were a complete noob. (Im guessing the original GW, what about factions, EotN??)

4) Or will i have to fork out 100$ to get everything out of the game? (all expansions)

Im looking for a good mmorpg adn this game looks fun so any help woul greatly be appreciated.

Comments

• MagericMageric Member UncommonPosts: 19

I would go with the first one to start off with because out of all of them, the game world is larger. You can't go into the other campaigns if you don't own them so #2 is false.

As for the other campaigns and the expansion, I would get  which ever sounds good to you. Factions has the Assasign and Ritualist classes which you can't get in the other campaigns and there is the Alliance battle pvp mode which is a lot of fun.

Nightfall has the Paragon and Dervish classes which aren't in the other campaigns and it has heroes which you can customize and take with you when soloing. It also has Hero pvp but I have never tried that out so no comment here.

For the Eye of the North expansion, you will need at least one of the other campaigns to play. It is basically an extension of the first campaign's setting and a sneek peek at the Guild Wars 2 races. EOTN also adds more heros and they start of at the max level where as in Nightfall you have to level them up.

I would research the classes first to decide what you want to play then get the campaign that  they are in along with EOTN because that seems to be the place where you'll find most of the players these days.

• prox916prox916 Member Posts: 2

Ok, so from what I understand is that there is some shared game content like main towns and cities in all the GW expansions. (excluding the EotN) ps: correct me if my understanding is wrong

So the only differences is new starting points for the 2 new classes in each expansion, as well as the new skills that can be unlocked for them thru the new pve content (correct me if im wrong again)

the EotN is content for lvl 20 characters and is the true expansion of the game. (correct me if im wrong again)

so if i purchase proficies and eotn would that be enough to play?

and with all the expansions can players who play with the expansions with those without the expansion

(im guessing yes but jsut in the main towns and cities) and everyone can play in the eotn with at least one expansion

please comment, and correct me please i am confused about this game i just quit wow and looking to start a new mmorpg

thanks

• Well it was ages I played Guild Wars. I only have the Original and Factions. I liked them alot, nice places and quests. But everything except the cities/outposts is like instances, you cant go out in the wild and meet other people. You need a group (theres NPC's if you cant find players to go with) if you want to see any outside cities/outposts. The PvP is really sweet. Atleast when I played some time ago, and most likely still is. What I had to get used with after playing other MMO's is that you cant jump or swim, wich I hade to learn after years of other MMO's.

And yes, all Guild Wars versions is a stand alone. But if you want to go into another expansion area, you need that part of Guild Wars. Like you cant enter Factions or any other part if you just got original and so on.

I dont know if any of what I wrote is needed, since I just wrote stuff on my own, and the one part I answeared already was answeared.

• blackf00tblackf00t Member Posts: 84

Originally posted by prox916

Ok, so from what I understand is that there is some shared game content like main towns and cities in all the GW expansions. (excluding the EotN) ps: correct me if my understanding is wrong
    So the only differences is new starting points for the 2 new classes in each expansion, as well as the new skills that can be unlocked for them thru the new pve content (correct me if im wrong again)
    the EotN is content for lvl 20 characters and is the true expansion of the game. (correct me if im wrong again)

and with all the expansions can players who play with the expansions with those without the expansion
    (im guessing yes but jsut in the main towns and cities) and everyone can play in the eotn with at least one expansion

please comment, and correct me please i am confused about this game i just quit wow and looking to start a new mmorpg
    thanks

in the order of your questions

kind of, you can access what you purchase

EotN is a true expantion

yes, i only have nightfall and factions and out of those i like nightfall personally though.

you have to have  lvl 20 char to play eye of the north

no prob and let me know if i was not clear on something and i would be happy to help out

• NoUrbanLightNoUrbanLight Member Posts: 70

This is not the case. There is some shared content in base skills and the six core classes, but each campaign takes place on a completely different continent, so no shared cities. EoTN is the only one that is on the same continent of a previous game, Guild Wars Prophecies to be exact.
    The differences are highly varied from the additional classes, the addition skills, the new setting, and new culture and storyline.
     Yes, Eye of the North is the only "Expansion" in the traditional sense and can only be accessed if you character you are trying to cross over into it is level 20 which is the level cap.

That's plenty to play effectively, don't even really need EotN. Typical people finish one campaign at a time then buy the next expansion once finished. You don't absolutely positively need them all at once.
    People can play with each other if they each have the same campaign and are both IN the same campaign. AKA, If you have Prophecies and Factions, and I have Prophecies and Nightfall, Proph is the only one we can actually play within together. If we tried to move the party to a campaign the other didn't have, the person lacking the content access would be dropped from the party.
     Not everyone. Only those that have bought Eye of the North can actually get at it's content. But any campaign can be used as a jumping point into EotN.

thanks

~~~~~
    "Big surprise... there was no protection by this urban light..."

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

I want to try this game and planning on purchasing it today.
    1) I want EVERYTHING (all pve aspects and all pvp aspects) which game/s should i purchase?If you want everything you naturally would have to buy all games, that's kind of self explanatory. If you want to be able to participate decently in the higher forms of PvP (HA, GvG) you will need to acquire all campaigns and unlock the most of the skills from them. As a new player my suggestion is that you start off with PvE and then go to PvP.2) I read somewhere you only need one game, so does that mean instead of buying all the guildwars games, i can just purchase one, and when i enter into an expansion area i don't have, it will be downloaded free from there (heard on another post)Yes and no. You only need one game to play the game, but then you only got access to what's provided in that campaign. If you want to get access to the Factions content and got Nightfall you must buy the Factions campaign.3) If question 2 is false, which game/s would you recommend if you were a complete noob. (I'm guessing the original GW, what about factions, EotN??)I would recommend you to get Nightfall campaign. Not only is it by far the most player and noob friendly it also introduces heroes as well as a long and entertaining PvE campaign. Additionally you also get access to two classes that both are extremely good in PvE and PvP (Dervish and Paragon). Don't buy EoTN as the only game as it's not a campaign but rather an expansion meaning you must have one of the other campaigns to play it.4) Or will i have to fork out 100$ to get everything out of the game? (all expansions)To get everything out of the game you will need to get everything. However you don't necessarily need to get everything to enjoy the game. I would (as I stated above) suggest you to just pick up Nightfall. With just Nightfall you will be able to participate in PvP decently good thanks to having access to almost all Dervish and Paragon skills.I'm looking for a good mmorpg and this game looks fun so any help would greatly be appreciated.

I'll answer these questions as I found the above answers slightly lacking. Your other questions were answered nicely by NoUrbanLight. Also for additional information regarding the game as well as help should you decide to buy the game check out the GWWiki.