Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are you looking forward to this game?

mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396

I don't know about you, but I am very anxious to the release of this game....There are many new attributes, which we have not seen in many MMO's, and good riddens.  I ma tired of the average grind.

I am looking forward to this game because the world lives and breathes, and everything you do has an effect on something else.  If a town burns down, it will definately not be back the next day, as if nothing happened. 

I am loooking forward to ther not-grinding.  The fact that I will never be told to kill 10 of these, or the fact that I will never have to train endlessly to have success.  That instead of training endlessly, I will be able to do a quest by myself, or mabye group up with someone else.

Mabye it's the fact that I will have NPC's that are extremely intelligent, and that I will have both eemies and allies.  That one day I can help someone and save a town, or I could mabye start a group of bandits and take over a town.  Mabye I could help someone in town with there errands, but I wind up being ambushed by an enemy and I am forced into an epic battle. 

It is all of these and more that make me want to know more and more about this game, and keep myself just waiting for the beta. There is one thing for sure, I cannot wait to play the game in the future.

Why are you looking forward to this game?

Edit-  I would also like to thank the dev Jatar for answering around 130 questions overall lol.   thanks :)

Comments

• gravitzgravitz Member UncommonPosts: 14

My answer is pretty simple for this. Basically the sheer gameplay it's going to offer. From what we've read so far, the depth is going to be amazing. Quests that are involved and change based on the actions you choose to complete them. As you said, an intelligent living world that IS affected by my decisions. Freedom. Having the ability to mold my characters abilities how I want them to be. And last but not least...Seeing a dev take as much time as Jatar has to come on here and answer as many questions as he can. That shows how much this company cares about what we as future players/fans have to say. I have a feeling once beta testing begins they are going to take our feedback on everything very seriously.

There are so many things being developed for this game that are going to make it break the current mold and offer a different style of gameplay.  Whats not to look forward to?

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396

Originally posted by gravitz

My answer is pretty simple for this. Basically the sheer gameplay it's going to offer. From what we've read so far, the depth is going to be amazing. Quests that are involved and change based on the actions you choose to complete them. As you said, an intelligent living world that IS affected by my decisions. Freedom. Having the ability to mold my characters abilities how I want them to be. And last but not least...Seeing a dev take as much time as Jatar has to come on here and answer as many questions as he can. That shows how much this company cares about what we as future players/fans have to say. I have a feeling once beta testing begins they are going to take our feedback on everything very seriously.

There are so many things being developed for this game that are going to make it break the current mold and offer a different style of gameplay.  Whats not to look forward to?

Oops, forgot to add the dev to why I look forward to this game....As for evrything else, I guess that should be the question of this thread...What's not to look forward to?

• roanmtnmanroanmtnman Member Posts: 5

I want to play this game because you shouldnt be able to go on sites and figure out everything u need to know just by reading where someone else did it. I get tired of some games putting in new stuff only to have it posted all over forums the next day. It sounds like u will have to play this game and find out for yourself. Thats allways been the fun part of these games to me is discovering things not going where the guide told u to go. If they can pull this off its going to be great!

• JK-KanosiJK-Kanosi Member Posts: 1,357

It's hard to get excited about a game with so little information on how exactly we are going to change the game world. I read the FAQ's and the majority of these threads and it still hasn't been explain.

Say for instance you can destroy a village in the seamless part of the world (non-instanced), how do you know people won't exploit this ability and just destroy everything in the gameworld, leaving a barren place. If it is done instancely, how do the devs plan to solve the problem when one player saves that village in his instance, but another player fails to save it in theirs. Yet, those to decide to group together in the next instance. Which story does the devs decide to continue, the one whose village got destroyed or the other? If there isn't PvP, and two players arive at the village at the same time, one decides he wants to destroy it, while another decides he wants it to survive, who wins if there isn't PvP?

There are so many questions I have on how a game that plans to support tens of thousands of players, plan to handle that many people changing the game world at the same time. If it is all instanced, how is the world truly going to change to other players? Will it only change for that one person and not another? If so, then what's the point of changing the gameworld when you're the only one who will see it?

MMORPG's w/ Max level characters: DAoC, SWG, & WoW

Currently Playing: WAR
    Preferred Playstyle: Roleplay/adventurous, in a sandbox game.

• MaragoldMaragold Member Posts: 20

Originally posted by JK-Kanosi

It's hard to get excited about a game with so little information on how exactly we are going to change the game world. I read the FAQ's and the majority of these threads and it still hasn't been explain.
    Say for instance you can destroy a village in the seamless part of the world (non-instanced), how do you know people won't exploit this ability and just destroy everything in the gameworld, leaving a barren place. If it is done instancely, how do the devs plan to solve the problem when one player saves that village in his instance, but another player fails to save it in theirs. Yet, those to decide to group together in the next instance. Which story does the devs decide to continue, the one whose village got destroyed or the other? If there isn't PvP, and two players arive at the village at the same time, one decides he wants to destroy it, while another decides he wants it to survive, who wins if there isn't PvP?
    There are so many questions I have on how a game that plans to support tens of thousands of players, plan to handle that many people changing the game world at the same time. If it is all instanced, how is the world truly going to change to other players? Will it only change for that one person and not another? If so, then what's the point of changing the gameworld when you're the only one who will see it?
    First of all, where did you read that you could destroy a village?  The devs never said that.  What they did say is that you could choose to help defend a town that was under attack (not by players, by NPC forces). 

So this means, in your example, that two players arrive at a village under attack.  One decides to help the village, the other decides not to help.  The village may fall, it may not, but there will be an outcome.  I don't see your issue.  You're too hung up on PVP when this game is not about PVP.

There are certainly plenty of questions left to answer, but the devs have stated that they are early in development.  Do you expect them to reveal all their plans now?  They would be crazy to do so in my opinion.  They have told us plenty, enough that I know I will try the game when it comes out.

Why keep attacking a developer who is trying to give us something new?  If you don't want something new, go play WoW or one of the other clones.

Originally posted by Maragold

First of all, where did you read that you could destroy a village?  The devs never said that.  What they did say is that you could choose to help defend a town that was under attack (not by players, by NPC forces). 

So this means, in your example, that two players arrive at a village under attack.  One decides to help the village, the other decides not to help.  The village may fall, it may not, but there will be an outcome.  I don't see your issue.  You're too hung up on PVP when this game is not about PVP.

There are certainly plenty of questions left to answer, but the devs have stated that they are early in development.  Do you expect them to reveal all their plans now?  They would be crazy to do so in my opinion.  They have told us plenty, enough that I know I will try the game when it comes out.

Why keep attacking a developer who is trying to give us something new?  If you don't want something new, go play WoW or one of the other clones.

If you consider my post an attack, then you clearly are a fanboi. I may play DAoC, but I am not hung up on PvP. My issues are just as relevant as everyone elses issues. When I know more information, I can more accurately put hype into this game. Until then, I will wait and see like the majority of the people. I am not the type to jump on the hype bandwagon as soon as I hear the first little bit of information about it.

Since you wanted to get nasty with me, I challenge you to highlight everything I said that was mean or nasty in my post. I just reread it, so I know there is nothing you can quote. Again, you are just being a fanboi when you attack someone like me, who only asked questions.

• MaragoldMaragold Member Posts: 20

If you consider my post an attack, then you clearly are a fanboi. I may play DAoC, but I am not hung up on PvP. My issues are just as relevant as everyone elses issues. When I know more information, I can more accurately put hype into this game. Until then, I will wait and see like the majority of the people. I am not the type to jump on the hype bandwagon as soon as I hear the first little bit of information about it.

Since you wanted to get nasty with me, I challenge you to highlight everything I said that was mean or nasty in my post. I just reread it, so I know there is nothing you can quote. Again, you are just being a fanboi when you attack someone like me, who only asked questions.

Fine, let's not get nasty.  Instead let's just explore your statements in a discussion.

You state, and I quote, "Say for instance you can destroy a village in the seamless part of the world (non-instanced), how do you know people won't exploit this ability and just destroy everything in the gameworld, leaving a barren place."

Where did you get this piece of information?  I can't find it anywhere in the devs web site, their features or comments from Jatar.  No where does it say that players can destroy towns, villages, etc.  I'm asking you, so we can discuss your premise.  If, however, there is no backing for your premise, then your whole point about this is moot.

Excuse me if I bristled in my previous post, but the statement you made was so strange it was like saying, "In WoW, if I use the planet buster bomb to remove a portion of the land, won't this ruin the game play for others?"  What planet buster bomb?  There isn't one.  Why are we then discussing this?  Has one of the devs at Blizzard said they have a new planet buster bomb? 

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

I am simple.

Its allow me to group/solo without having to do anything else in order to advance and promote my character at ANY point in my progression path.

If I want to become better at grouping?  Then I should just group.  That is an answer I like and that most MMOs don't offer.  No matter how strong, powerfull, l33t, high level my character is, if I want to become better at grouping, then the best path is always, always, always grouping.

At least, this is what I understand from reading them.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

Fine, let's not get nasty.  Instead let's just explore your statements in a discussion.

You state, and I quote, "Say for instance you can destroy a village in the seamless part of the world (non-instanced), how do you know people won't exploit this ability and just destroy everything in the gameworld, leaving a barren place."

Where did you get this piece of information?  I can't find it anywhere in the devs web site, their features or comments from Jatar.  No where does it say that players can destroy towns, villages, etc.  I'm asking you, so we can discuss your premise.  If, however, there is no backing for your premise, then your whole point about this is moot.

Excuse me if I bristled in my previous post, but the statement you made was so strange it was like saying, "In WoW, if I use the planet buster bomb to remove a portion of the land, won't this ruin the game play for others?"  What planet buster bomb?  There isn't one.  Why are we then discussing this?  Has one of the devs at Blizzard said they have a new planet buster bomb? 

When the devs said that a village may be attacked and if it isn't defended, it will burn to the ground, I figured it was a safe assumption that things like this could happen. But lets take a step back and assume I misunderstood, which is possible and only villages flagged as being attackable by this NPC clan will be able to be ran to the ground, and only it can be ran to the ground by NPC creatures. Fine, but you or Jatar, since you've taken it upon yourself to speak for the devs haven't explained how what happens in one instance will remain consistent with what happens in another instance if you and another person completed the previous instance in a different way from one another, yet decide to group for the next one.

If you're going to address one issue in my post, please address all issues, because it is insulting when a person doesn't, like they are picking a post apart. When you address all issues in a person's post, it makes that person feel like all points are being considered and either you are having the same confusion as I am or you have it figured out. If you have it figured out, it is best to tell everyone how it could work, so people stop being so confused.

• FeldronFeldron Member UncommonPosts: 337

Originally posted by mike470

Oops, forgot to add the dev to why I look forward to this game....As for evrything else, I guess that should be the question of this thread...What's not to look forward to?

The quests are 100% instanced, but you sit have mins to hours of travel time over the game world

why not add non-stanced stuff if the game world is the biggest world ever

the storyline content of the quests is  a plus

they also limit the party size to 8 and with only instances raids are not possible

why not just add raid quests and just take a few mins to add a raids party system just have it as simple as most mmo you can go in with 2+ parties

Originally posted by Feldron

they also limit the party size to 8 and with only instances raids are not possible

EXACTLY.  This is not a raiding game, it is mainly questing, but will involve combat.

But who really wants raiding, as it pretty much means grind

I think I see what you are getting at, so mabye this will answer.

No same person will get the same quest.  So while one person is asked to save a village, why another is asked to attack a village, I'm guessing they would be different villages.  That's my guess as to what would happen.

If Jatar could please clear this up, that would be great :)

• jingodjingod Member Posts: 6

I am looking foward because I am into games that are based on things of the past like Runescape but I know this game isn't based on anything but it kinda looks like runescape

By:Jingod

• dafuzzledafuzzle Member Posts: 160

I'm gonna play this game because i am very interested in the quest system.

On a side note, no point in arguing over what nobody here knows, except for Jatar probably.

• CrookshanksCrookshanks Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by roanmtnman

I want to play this game because you shouldnt be able to go on sites and figure out everything u need to know just by reading where someone else did it. I get tired of some games putting in new stuff only to have it posted all over forums the next day. It sounds like u will have to play this game and find out for yourself. Thats allways been the fun part of these games to me is discovering things not going where the guide told u to go. If they can pull this off its going to be great!

From what little I know about this game, I can allready list about 20 things that excite me about this game's ideas and concepts.  However, this quote sums up the number one aspect I look forward to.

• z80paranoiaz80paranoia Member Posts: 410

Skill Based: More flexible than class based. I like the option to make my toon as gimped or as f.o.t.m. as I want.

Dynamic World/NPCs: That's something that just doesn't happen enough in mmorpgs. It may not be hyperrealistic but it claims to have more varied and detailed interactive elements than the current popular subscription-based mmos out.

Skill Based Skill Based Skill Based Skill Based Skill Based Skill Based Skill Based Skill Based Skill Based Skill Based Skill Based Skill Based Skill Based Skill Based Skill Based Skill Based Skill Based Skill Based Skill Based Skill Based Skill Based Skill Based Skill Based Skill Based Skill Based Skill Based Skill Based Skill Based Skill Based Skill Based Skill Based Skill Based Skill Based Skill Based Skill Based Skill Based Skill Based Skill Based Skill Based Skill Based

Hopefully the game will not employ a raid-or-stagnate philosophy.

Guild Wars 2 is my religion

Originally posted by z80paranoia

Hopefully the game will not employ a raid-or-stagnate philosophy.

This game has very little or absolutely no raiding, since people will be enganged in interesting quests, where the quests are not repeatitive and boring.

• GreymainGreymain Member Posts: 15

I sat down and read all the information on web site. It ticks all my wishlist boxes.  Allowing low and high level players to play together is essentual. Allowing limited PvP is good, not getting ganked while trying to quest is even better.

It will be nice to see some fresh races as long as they arent elves and hobbits with different names  :)

Having thousands of Players in thousands of instances has me boggled -- EQ2 leaps to mind with all those Instance queues.

A world that progresses from day to day should be the biggest draw but I dare not get too excited after experiencing so many disappointments but if they pull it off I will be onboard.

The quests are 100% instanced, but you sit have mins to hours of travel time over the game world

why not just add raid quests and just take a few mins to add a raids party system just have it as simple as most mmo you can go in with 2+ parties

Let's see....

1.  You can ride horses and use portals

2.  Cause this isn't a game for people who like raiding..Go find an asian-grindfest

3.  The party sizes are unlimited...What are you talking about?

4.  Once again,  go find an asian     grindfest

I think I see what you are getting at, so mabye this will answer.

No same person will get the same quest.  So while one person is asked to save a village, why another is asked to attack a village, I'm guessing they would be different villages.  That's my guess as to what would happen.

If Jatar could please clear this up, that would be great :)

From what the devs said in your instance you can have a max of 8 players

from what you said you and player x have aposing quests in this instance with the max of 8 players

would this not come do too who got the better of the other 6 players

I can see how this is going to turn out you are so going to have your town burnt down, unless your reward is alot better

------

However the Q & A already said the instanced quest was so you dont have these conflicts so unless this quest was the exception to the rule it would be two seprate quests vs npcs not players

Let's see....

2.  Cause this isn't a game for people who like raiding..Go find an asian-grindfest

Wrong party sizes are limited to 8 players read the Q & A

and while i wish it was unlimited its not

your concept of raid is clear different from mine if you think its a grind

second if you read the the Q & A they also state because the parties are limits to 8 for the instanced quest they will have alot mob monster in a small area etc.

So dont be surprised if you find quests where its

Raid made up of npcs + 8 players vs Raid made up of npc monsters

personally its not a sub for player Raid vs player Raid nor is it a sub for Player Raid vs npc monsters Raid

• JatarJatar Member UncommonPosts: 348

Let's see....

Wrong party sizes are limited to 8 players read the Q & A

and while i wish it was unlimited its not

your concept of raid is clear different from mine if you think its a grind

second if you read the the Q & A they also state because the parties are limits to 8 for the instanced quest they will have alot mob monster in a small area etc.

So dont be surprised if you find quests where its

Raid made up of npcs + 8 players vs Raid made up of npc monsters

personally its not a sub for player Raid vs player Raid nor is it a sub for Player Raid vs npc monsters Raid

This particular discussion is getting pretty far off base.  It is, unfortunately, about an area that we haven't released a lot of information yet.  I promise we will release an article about how this system works eventually.  Still, for now, let me at least say a couple things:

1) When a party is on a Quest in a Reflected World, there is no conflict of interest. They are all on the same quest.  I'm not sure how to make this clearer.  There may be a village under attack, the party can defend it, or not.  I'm not sure where all this confusion is about two villages. 

2) When on a Quest there is a maximum party size of eight players.  But... you have to realize that there are other game play possiblities other than what we call Quests.  Quests are vary specific in depth stories where you make all kinds of decisions.  Those choices and the actions you take change the flow of the story and give you various outcomes, good and bad.  But... there are other game play elements... like adventures. 

The Adventure system is COMPLETELY different than the Quest system, but  I'm not going into this right now.  We're not releasing this information yet.  Just trust me... there are many ways to play the game, sometimes you'll want to do a Quest, sometimes you will just want to free flow into an Adventure, sometimes you might want to be a bounty hunter, sometimes... well, I won't go into the entire list right now.

Just quit stressing about villages being destroyed, it just isn't an issue in the system.   All will eventually be explained, all in good time.

Jatar

Citadel of Sorcery dev team member

• jagust05jagust05 Member Posts: 27

Thanks Jatar for clearing that up.  Before that discussion i wasn't confused and then i became really confused and now after your post i'm just not going to worry about it.  The adventuring sounds really interesting!

The reason i am looking forward to this game is because it isn't like every other mmorpg out there and that is great...no set quests (everytime i start a new character i won't have to do the same things over and over again), no ganking (really annoying for non-pvpers/rpgers), and i get to create my own character instead of having a set skill base for certain classes (ranger, theif, wizard) i can be whatever i want to be.  and the best part is that i can get on and play solo, or i can log on with my friends and group up with them.

Another great thing about this game is that the devs are really dedicated to making a new and different game, not just a money making clone.  I think they have already shown that they have listened to both critics and praisers: there was a lot of complaining about the state of their web site and they changed it...this tells me that they really care about what the gamers want.  Although, i had no problem with the website as long as they were working on the game.

• penandpaperpenandpaper Member UncommonPosts: 174

I have to say the ability to play solo is of great interest.  With my friends and I all living in different time zones now, and only being able to get together 1 time every other week, it's nice to know we can continue to quest and not have to wait around.  We have parted in so many games due to the fact that one person will completely out level everyone else because they got tired of waiting.  Then the quests we want to do are of no use to the higher level player.  This game seems to solve that problem on many levels. 

Also, the fact that there are story lines (hopefully ones that will feel fluid, not choppy and forced like so many other MMO's) is second on my list of reasons why I look forward to this game.