Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just spent $100 on this game- now what

VanReeseVanReese Member Posts: 7

Ok - so i bought guild wars, nightfall, factions, eye of the north as they were on offer.

q1) what order do i need to install them? (i wanna play mesmer) -- how much space will it end up taking on the drive?

q2) Am i missing an expansion... prophecies come to mind?

q3) what is the best noob zone (i will start with PvE and build up to PvP after 1 or 2 campaigns -- oh yea which one should i do first!)

I like the fact this game is more based on skill than gear. but I am brand new to this game. so basic questions from me :)

Cheers Van Reese

Comments

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

Just install one of them, and when you get to the screen, register your account and enter all the activation keys.  It will then download all the files you need.

If you want to follow the story, start with Prophecies.  If not, you can start with either one.

Here's a great site to get you started.  http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Getting_started_%28Prophecies%29

• illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614

this is the order of the storyline > Guildwars (now prophecies), Factions, Nightfall, EOTN. so if you're into the narrative, PvE part, then go that way.

you dont have to install all the cds, just use the latest dvd, EOTN, its got most of the contents there.

the .dat file will take up 3gigs, so you'll need around 4gigs

you got all the campaigns and the expansion

Nightfall IMHO is the best noob zone. you get heroes, very helpful nowadays if you're having a hard time to find groups, and you level up really fast. Lvling up in Factions is faster but ytou dont get heroes on the onset, Prophecies has the slowest pace in leveling up. But prophecies also have skill quests where you get skills as quests rewards. your choice.

hope that helps! see you online... my IGN is Illyana Darkchilde

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

• NoUrbanLightNoUrbanLight Member Posts: 70

1) Everyone else has already said it, but indeed you only need to install one then just add the registration keys to the account you create. The system will walk you through it step by step. The reason you don't have to install the content off the disk is that once you clear your account as having access to it with the key, it'll download it as you enter each zone.

2) You are not missing any expansion. "Guild Wars" is "Prophecies."

3) Each campaign has "noob zones" of the proper level that teaches the basics of the game. You don't really need to worry about "building" towards PvP since you can create a max level player versus player character off the bat if you get impatient. If you REALLY want to take your PvE character over to PvP, just keep a few things in mind: Factions has the fastest rate of leveling, Prophecies is slowest but gains you more skills for no cost, and Nightfall is much loved for the access to heroes.

All in all, it doesn't matter which campaign you do first since all have individual stories. Eye of the North is the only actual continuation of a story, Prophecies to be exact. The others are not dependent on each other.

~~~~~
    "Big surprise... there was no protection by this urban light..."

• VanReeseVanReese Member Posts: 7

thanks for the decent responses,

q1) I started playing the game last night and like it so far 0-0 .. i started off with PvE although I have heard that PvE chars have "trouble keeping up with PvP only chars".. can someone familiar with things explain that statement to me??

q2)  i'd like to level my first PvE char and take it into PvP -- my question. Can the same skill packs be added to the PvE char?.

good tip about the account keys and the wiki link, saved me a lot of installing, searching around...

Cheers,

Van Reese

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Originally posted by VanReese
    thanks for the decent responses,
    q1) I started playing the game last night and like it so far 0-0 .. i started off with PvE although I have heard that PvE chars have "trouble keeping up with PvP only chars".. can someone familiar with things explain that statement to me??It's wrong and stupid. PvP characters start at level 20 but you need to unlock skills with your PvE skills for the PvP ones to have any. For more information regarding PvE and PvP characters see this on the GWWiki.q2) i'd like to level my first PvE char and take it into PvP -- my question. Can the same skill packs be added to the PvE char?.No. The skill packs unlock skills for your heroes and PvP characters only, your PvE characters need to buy them for themselves.
    good tip about the account keys and the wiki link, saved me a lot of installing, searching around...
    Cheers,
    Van Reese

Answered your questions above, also check out the GWWiki for future questions as these usually can answered there. Also you can add me in game should you need more help, in game name is Dance With Spears

• sonicwhipsonicwhip Member UncommonPosts: 117

just download the client from the gw site then when u play all the files u need will download.

• endlesoneendlesone Member Posts: 109

oh and for those who answered his querries you forgot  one thing Welcome to Guild Wars!!!

• endlesoneendlesone Member Posts: 109
    Originally posted by illyana

this is the order of the storyline > Guildwars (now prophecies), Factions, Nightfall, EOTN. so if you're into the narrative, PvE part, then go that way.
    you dont have to install all the cds, just use the latest dvd, EOTN, its got most of the contents there.
    the .dat file will take up 3gigs, so you'll need around 4gigs
    you got all the campaigns and the expansion
    Nightfall IMHO is the best noob zone. you get heroes, very helpful nowadays if you're having a hard time to find groups, and you level up really fast. Lvling up in Factions is faster but ytou dont get heroes on the onset, Prophecies has the slowest pace in leveling up. But prophecies also have skill quests where you get skills as quests rewards. your choice.
    hope that helps! see you online... my IGN is Illyana Darkchilde

Josef aka illyana!!!!! Revenenat Grail nice to see you here