Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Don't Forget the Important Part!

I like the sounds of the concept.  Adaptive worlds.  Treachery!

I love it.

However, isn't this about what I have heard from every new MMORPG this past decade?

All new games will have good graphics and sounds (WoW lowered the bar so far that it will take another decade before they look at making better graphics than what we see in things like Tabula Rasa or Conan.) But what about the characters themselves?

Call me egocentric but I play these games to create a character that I want to watch grow and learn.  I hear lots of drivel in these new games about "the world this" and "the world that" but what is forgotten in the rush to make some persistant world are the characters.

Tabula Rasa, terrible-terrible game, is a poster child for this lack of mentality.  They created lots of stuff, but completely forgot to put in characters, skills, spells, equipment, powers, crafting good anything at all until the night before the boxes were shipped.

Don't give me a world until AFTER you have created the most involved, creative, complex and interesting characters that could possibly be controlled by a keyboard, mouse, gamepad and footpedals.

"The reality of the poor in America isn't the difference between The Haves and The Have Nots, it is the difference between The Haves and The Have Lots."

Comments

• ThalosVipavThalosVipav Member Posts: 273

yay footpedals!

Thalos Vipav
    Star Wars Galaxies: R.I.P.

• WiccanCircleWiccanCircle Member Posts: 336

Originally posted by ThalosVipav

yay footpedals!
    hehe, if there are some programable ones out there, I am going to buy them right away and put HEAL and RELOAD down there.

A dozen years of piano lessons and I have all these extra appendages that I have not put to good use in MMOs yet! 

"The reality of the poor in America isn't the difference between The Haves and The Have Nots, it is the difference between The Haves and The Have Lots."

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

All I know is, this is the most ambitious-sounding game I've seen in a while.

IF they can make it, and IF they live up to everything promised in the interviews..bugger 15/mo. I'd pay 30!

• DanubusDanubus Member Posts: 169

The game sounds like what a Neverwinter Nights Persistant world was but done with better graphics and mechanics. A Land Far Away comes to my mind. You could be what you wanted to be. Take the skills you wanted and the world was ever changing. We have heard of MMOs like this before. I believe a year ago there was a MMO that started with an "A" that wanted to be on one server and have an always changing dynamic world. It would be great to see and very good for roleplaying which I would like to see more of rather than all the gear mongering/level grinds that MMOs have become now. A more traditional D&D style MMO.

Im going to keep my eye on it. The graphics looked "meh" to me, but the mechanics intrigue me. Hopefully, it will play like a real D&D style game instead of a crappy Korean MMO.

• BrynnBrynn Member Posts: 345

This is the kind of game veteran players have been yearning for. Only time will tell if these developers can fulfill their vision, and give us what we want. I will watch this game closely.

• FeldronFeldron Member UncommonPosts: 337

Sadly you might well be disapointed with what you find

in the Q & A

They go over their quest system thats going to be a hugh leep forward,

Then they go over how all questing is instanced and limit too 8 player and so they will have no raids but will still have the largest world of any mmo to date created. and how you have to still travel around

So to help you understand what they are doing imagine this

Anarchy Online in a fantasy setting with a new and great storyline quest system

But then they strip away the mob on the world map and remove the public dungeons and then make the map bigger (more running around to get to quest location) Then they add more pvp so you can get ganked while going to your dungeon

Then they remove lvs from gear but add counter measures to serverly limit RMTers (cross your fingers that this doesn't make trading handycaped)

They also want to make the enemies more intellegent and require stratagy

The result is 1 Hugh leap forward and then they turn around and start joggin backwards

Basiclly their new quest system would be better as an expansion to another game then their currently planned game

1.They need to have the world map populated with mobs

2. add public static dungeons

3. they also need to make sure that they dont take the easy route and slow down combet to make it harder and actually make it require experence and knowledge to excel at from one mob to the next but without being over welming (if 1 player is not good at fighting the mob the as long as the majority of the party is its ok)

4. The need to make sure that the game economy is healthy. collectable items good tradablity etc

5. They need to make sure their pvp system is done well (they went over their pvp vision in the Q & A) the parts of this are normally clear but still broken in many games - 5.1 Balanced -5.2 zoned and travel to zones  -5.3 Guild system

6. Characters with characters being the means by which the players intiract with the world characters classes skills customisablity and etc. make a big difference and can make or break many other parts of the game

7. Gameplay what the character does in the game world and more they got some of this down from what they got in the Q & A they got this half done but are removing far to much unessarily

Again better as an expansion to another game then on its own unless they fill in the holes

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

I didn't recall reading that you could be ganked if you don't want to be.  :P

But I am lazy right now. Forcing PvP on peoples is bad, and last I read them, they understand that point. :P

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• BrynnBrynn Member Posts: 345

CoS isn't even in beta yet and posters know what the devs will do? And, they said they are trying to get away from some of the non-fun aspects of other games, like raids!  I hate raids. I don't know how all the game visions will work out. I have hope and a wait and see attitude.

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396

Sadly you might well be disapointed with what you find

in the Q & A

They go over their quest system thats going to be a hugh leep forward,

Then they go over how all questing is instanced and limit too 8 player and so they will have no raids but will still have the largest world of any mmo to date created. and how you have to still travel around

If you are trying to say how hard it is to travel, then you can ride horses and use personal portals or portals in game.  What's wrong with a large world?

So to help you understand what they are doing imagine this

*Imagining*

Anarchy Online in a fantasy setting with a new and great storyline quest system

But then they strip away the mob on the world map and remove the public dungeons and then make the map bigger (more running around to get to quest location) Then they add more pvp so you can get ganked while going to your dungeon

What the hell are you talking about?  Who said anything about getting ganked in a dungeon? 

Then they remove lvs from gear but add counter measures to serverly limit RMTers (cross your fingers that this doesn't make trading handycaped)

They also want to make the enemies more intellegent and require stratagy

And this is bad how....?

The result is 1 Hugh leap forward and then they turn around and start joggin backwards

How?  This game is clearly more for questers.  You are clearly addicted to raids and cannot go 15 minuted without grinding.  Raids aren't actually good for most players.

Basiclly their new quest system would be better as an expansion to another game then their currently planned game

~no idea what you mean by expansion to game~, but the quest system will be very different, as each person will be designed their own quest.

1.They need to have the world map populated with mobs

Why?  I hate mobs,...All you do is grind.  Also, this game is more for questing.  I would rather be fighting a smart NPC then a simple mob.  (As I'm sure many others would)

2. add public static dungeons

Why?  This would be pointless and take away the game concept.

3. they also need to make sure that they dont take the easy route and slow down combet to make it harder and actually make it require experence and knowledge to excel at from one mob to the next but without being over welming (if 1 player is not good at fighting the mob the as long as the majority of the party is its ok)

There won't really be that many mobs (if any)

4. The need to make sure that the game economy is healthy. collectable items good tradablity etc

Duh..

5. They need to make sure their pvp system is done well (they went over their pvp vision in the Q & A) the parts of this are normally clear but still broken in many games - 5.1 Balanced -5.2 zoned and travel to zones  -5.3 Guild system

You must not like reading.  As said 40 times on these forums, THIS IS NOT A PVP GAME.  There is PvP, but the game does not revolve around it. 

There is a colosseum where players can fight, and guilds may abttle eachother as well.

6. Characters with characters being the means by which the players intiract with the world characters classes skills customisablity and etc. make a big difference and can make or break many other parts of the game

First of all, try using some punctuation.

If you are talking about skills, you must quest to learn abou tthe many skills.  There is also a University to learn things.

7. Gameplay what the character does in the game world and more they got some of this down from what they got in the Q & A they got this half done but are removing far to much unessarily

There are not removing anything necessary.  They are making a different game from the rest, and the gameplay should be good, as there are always quests to do.

It's funny.  You seem to think that you speak for everyone, when you actually speak for very few people.  People are tired of having a game full of mobs, with a static, non-changing world.  People wanted something different, and MMO Magic plans on making somehting different..

Again better as an expansion to another gamethen on its own unless they fill in the holes

Where are you getting the info it's an expansion to another game. Even if so...Who gives a crap?