Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AoC = Hype of 7.4 on MMORPG seem right to you?

DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

I'm wondering if there are some people out there who are lowering the hype on purpose because from what I can tell, this game has a lot of hype beind it so 7.4 actually looks a little weak... could just be me though...

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

Comments

• neosurfeurneosurfeur Member UncommonPosts: 193

Depend If I told you im playing the beta and putting a 7.0 to it. What you taugh ? * you will answer me " Its still on beta "? k than hope to you hype it like they do with lord of the ring...

• URMAKERURMAKER Member UncommonPosts: 671

all the hype ratings of the big name mmo's that are about to be released are all fairly close so i feel its pretty accurate.

• bachanambachanam Member Posts: 335

7.4 doesnt seem ok or not ok to me, it doesnt really matter, hype ratings will follow voter trends like so many 10s so many 1s and a few legit ones inbetween. Now if you have a 9.5 with 5,000 votes and everything else is 7.3 and below, then either that game is something special or the voter trend changed for this one game on this one website, but other than that all of the hypes should be roughly the same and within a fairly close range of eachother, if the top was 5.0 then most likely the top 10 games would be from 4.5 to 5.0. now if the OP asked whether or not AoC being on top of the hype list was right or not, then i would say with the other games on the list, that AoC does indeed seem right to be on top and being ontop by .1 actually fits quite a lot more when you compare the other games competing with release dates

"Sometimes, things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most. People are basically good. Honor, courage, virtue mean everything. Power and money, money and power mean nothing. Good always triumphs over evil. Love, True Love Never Dies."
    Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?

• Tidwell32Tidwell32 Member UncommonPosts: 36

yeah it should definately be in the 8s, atleast... its all the WoW lovers that cant handle an actually fun MMO is coming out.  and the people who see the word conan and think "cheesy"

i dont see how its to possible to watch the videos and read up on the game and not be excited about it (for those in the MMO world that is), it has everything the top MMOs have + changing what people hate about those MMOs +  new kickass stuff + naked harpies

but yea... AOC is gonna be absolutely amazing, already got the collectors edition pre-ordered

• throckmortonthrockmorton Member Posts: 314

Personally, I'd like to see the hype lower, and then have everyone pleasantly surprised rather than just meeting expectations.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

Originally posted by Tidwell32

yeah it should definately be in the 8s, atleast... its all the WoW lovers that cant handle an actually fun MMO is coming out.  and the people who see the word conan and think "cheesy"
    i dont see how its to possible to watch the videos and read up on the game and not be excited about it (for those in the MMO world that is), it has everything the top MMOs have + changing what people hate about those MMOs +  new kickass stuff + naked harpies
    but yea... AOC is gonna be absolutely amazing, already got the collectors edition pre-ordered

Yeah, but its being made by a company with a record of sometimes missing the mark at release. Also, its Mature rating is a both a blessing and a curse.  Finally, its trying some new things, and people rarely embrace new quickly.

Hype is just a rating of how many people are looking forward to playing it, and since its right at the top, I'd say they've got nothing to worry about. 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• adavis72adavis72 Member Posts: 14

i give it a 23.6 out of 10. i love what i am hearing about this game (add me to the beta plz:) i think this is going to be the next WOW without the sucking

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

Not really...i game it a low 7ish score. While the graphics are nice, and the combat seems different....i have alot of concerns with performance and gameplay, none of which has been answered or shown by Funcom. Also, lag and packet loss, hence why we never see pvp with more than 4 per side. Have we even seen a non npc/scripted seige? Crafting is also a big negative for me....over simplified. So while yes there are some good things, there are also some bad things. Also the company's past history and non NDA removal till release also have me concerned

• Nightdragon8Nightdragon8 Member Posts: 53

The NDA release may be a ploy to get more first day sales. If you remove the NDA, that means people who hated the game can say they hated it beuase of X reason so people easily swayed by opionins may not buy it.

The also hype can also go down to early release, I mean when SC2 was announed at the begining of the year, there was alot of hype, then the esimated realase date was announced to the end of the year... that is a big hype killer.

They really haven't shown that many videos of AoC. So that also has an effect on people's opionion.

• DuraheLLDuraheLL Member Posts: 2,951

First of all, it has the highest hype score of all MMORPG's under development right now. Second, who cares about the hype scores anyway

$OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

When Funcom drops the NDA will spell out exactly how good the game is at release.

WoW/Blizzard dropped the NDA very early on in the beta process, having a huge open beta, and well, look at where it is now. Now, they had some advantages (they were their own publisher) and they had a nice large fan base, but compare that to SW:G. LucasArts and Raph Koster hosed that thing up in Beta, didn't have an open beta, and only dropped the NDA 2 days before release. And the game was horrible at launch. (Sorry all you SOE haters who hate SOE because of CU or NGE, the game sucked from release.)

Both were their own publishers. Both made by large companies with large financial backing and no real "pressure" to release (except from LucasArts for SW:G, who wanted their money).

One company knew  their game rocked, was fairly stable, and was going to be a success.

One company knew that the product they had was crap, and wasn't going to succeed.

That's why the first one dropped their NDA extremely early. They knew that they'd get more positive hype than negative. That's why the second one dropped their NDA only at release. They knew they'd get tons of crappy reviews and no positive press aside from a few diehard Star Wars/Raph Koster fanboys/geeks.

If Funcom keeps the NDA up till release, the game will be a disaster like Vanguard. If they drop it soon, then we'll all be able to see what's REALLY up behind the closed doors.

• sonicsixsonicsix Member UncommonPosts: 66

To me it has a hype rating of about 2.3.  From what I have read and seen thus far it appears to be just more of the same that we already have, just slightly different appearances.

The M rating will attract more knotheads than I could possibly tolerate so I won't even give the game a glance once it hits store shelves.  For now, I just play Cabal Online until something really unique comes my way.

• SidoxsSidoxs Member Posts: 103

I HIGHLY doubt they will drop nda before release. Ill leave it at that.

HOGG4LIFE

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

Also don't forget MMORPG.com scales ratings so games with a few thousand fans dont out do games with a few hundred fans based soley on vote numbers.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• singsofdeathsingsofdeath Member UncommonPosts: 1,812

Originally posted by Sidoxs

Sidoxs!!!!  Gosh darnit, I've started missing your highly ominous, one-line comments on AoC!

Welcome back.

• Baio2kBaio2k Member UncommonPosts: 162

Originally posted by sonicsix

To me it has a hype rating of about 2.3.  From what I have read and seen thus far it appears to be just more of the same that we already have, just slightly different appearances.
    The M rating will attract more knotheads than I could possibly tolerate so I won't even give the game a glance once it hits store shelves.  For now, I just play Cabal Online until something really unique comes my way.
    Ratings don't matter, all games attract kids and idiots, get over yourself, you're not special.
  • Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

its higher than the other MMO's because its in Beta and is close to release.  that is the only reason why its 7.4 and not 7.3 like the others

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• CalibanvovCalibanvov Member UncommonPosts: 192

The reason the hype is so low on all these games, is because some people who are waiting for a different game, go to other games and hype it extremly low.  For instance, Someone waiting for Warhammer might come to AoC and hype it at 1, instead of 7.  vice versa too.

Anyway, its good if the hype isnt too big, because people get dissapointed if the game isnt perfect.

• Ngeldu5tNgeldu5t Member UncommonPosts: 608

Hype can be a friend or it can be your worst enemy.Many got dissappointed because a game was hyped so high and at  delivery it looks horrible to them.Not because the game is bad but simply because their expectations were so high.So I don`t hype games for that reason.

In the land of Predators,the lion does not fear the jackals...

• KvaserKvaser Member Posts: 84

The hype ratings is so overrated, I remember when Dark and Light was among the top rated games and just take a look at the score it has now.

• Originally posted by Sidoxs

I agreed, I dont think that Funcom dare to drop the NDA at all. I think there are people with a whole mess of things to say, but who are muzzled by the NDA, sadly. But okie, the game was delayed multi-times (Gee, wonder why......), but when the game is released (and the NDA goes away), then we can see the true product and say "We told you so".

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    Originally posted by Battlekruse

I agreed, I dont think that Funcom dare to drop the NDA at all. I think there are people with a whole mess of things to say, but who are muzzled by the NDA, sadly. But okie, the game was delayed multi-times (Gee, wonder why......), but when the game is released (and the NDA goes away), then we can see the true product and say "We told you so".

Cant wait to be there and to comment on other releases that come out this year too, who have just the exact same delays =)

• ExpatriateExpatriate Member Posts: 202

lol, I agree

However, if they do, I'll have a lot to say...

Watch the latest episode of "The Guild" and other Pwnage videos from around the net--also post your own: http://PwnerTV.com

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  •  

Originally posted by templarga

Originally posted by Battlekruse

Sorry but you are both wrong. An NDA must be dropped before release because they have a time period attached to them. When launch occurs, the NDA becomes null and void and it is dropped anyway by the fact the game itself is "disclosure"....i.e....when the game goes public, disclosure occurs. You "doom-casters" who act as if Funcom has a lot to hide will be very disappointed when the NDA is dropped (my guess is around May 10th at the latest). However then you will claim that it was dropped to late for "disclosure" to occur so you can't win with you guys. At this point your opinions amount to very little and trust me, very few people are going to not purchase AOC because of your opinions. Keep that in mind when you try and convince yourself that you will make us change our minds.

I'll try to explain, although you probably won't agree.

The primary reason is the amount of total low quality crap that is released. The software industry is the only industry that I know of where they can sell you broken / unfinished garbage, and you can't get your money back (for the most part). That's not just with MMO's, but other games, other software, and operating systems, as well.

I don't reward incomplete work with my money. This is not a software company welfare system (or is it?). It is not my fault (the customer) that the company mismanaged it's funding and resources, and produced a shoddy product. Then to have the audacity to to charge a monthly fee on top of box sales, in order to try to fund something that should have been completed in the first place, is adding insult to injury.

As for MMO's that have launched with above average quality, I don't really complain about those. I did have some fun in them, even if it was short term. M59, AC, GW, WoW, and LoTRO for example. Getting bored after a while is not what the complaints by people are usually about. I don't feel "ripped off" or bitter towards any of those games I mentioned. However, I am getting annoyed with new MMO's being mostly the same old thing with different paint. Combat in all of these games is a treadmill, and questing in most cases is very shallow tasks, and becoming a bore-fest. Anyway, my point is that boredom from the games just mentioned doesn't equal bitterness. Another thing I find annoying with newer games (Not Just MMOs) is that they are getting to be all eye-candy and no substance. Game companies are focusing on graphics graphics graphics, and letting gameplay slide into hardly entertaining. They come up with little gimmicks like "player economy, player housing, realistic combat" to try to set themselves as being different, but the core gameplay usually remains as a traditional shallow treadmill.

Unlike you, I do not play MMOs to socialize. I play them to adventure and unwind. If a MMO is extremely shallow in it's adventuring aspects, very buggy / unfinished, and core rules changed on me in the middle of gameplay... I do feel "ripped off".

I don't beta these games anymore. I'm sick and tired of other ***hats telling me "it's beta!" when a valid flaw is pointed out, and that flaw still exists after launch. So I wait until they're launched, now. Even then, I lurk in forums to get an impression of public reaction before I buy. Most of the time, I'll even wait for a free trial, now. Unfortunately, most free trials are not representative of the game in question. They are more like bait and switch... a well polished and focused upon sandbox area to wet your appetite, then you find the full game is nowhere near as polished at the free trial area or content of the level limit.

So to re-iterate, I'm fairly disgusted with the software industry as a whole. It's not like the good old days when they had extremely limited hardware resources to work with, had to code in assembly language to keep the footprint down and performance up, and had to go through a rigorous QA process before releasing a product. Most programmers nowadays (all software realms, not just MMOs) don't know squat about their system's hardware, nor the operating system (other than maybe the graphics API for games), code sloppily with total disregard to hardware limitations, snag snippets of code off the Internet when instead of solving issues themselves, and just produce bloated, spaghetti coded, buggy garbage.

The mobile market pretty much proves my point. Phones, PDA's, and Handhelds have far less bugs due to higher limitations and reduced resources. If your cell phone didn't work... they'd be in a lot of trouble. But for some reason, we can't hold software developers for the PC to the same standard. The increased complexity due to the sheer amount of hardware out there for PCs is not OUR problem, as consumers. So we keep bending over and taking it in the arse, purchasing incomplete products, which has become the "status quo".

I hope that explains some of the anger / bitterness towards SOME of these MMOs. Customer's experience will vary, so I submit that one person seemingly bitter about every MMO out there is inaccurate. You have different people bitter about each MMO for different reasons. And I'm sorry, but sloppily launched products should not be rewarded / supported. It sets a bad precedent for other companies to get away with the same behavior.

Well, that's my 2 copper.. for what it's worth.

edit: minor error