Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions from a Lineage 2 New Guy.

SarykSaryk Member UncommonPosts: 476

Ok first let me say that I am very new to Lineage 2. But an experienced veteran on 90% of all MMO’s. I decided to check this game out because it’s so HARDCORE, I like a challenge(and heard that this game will be close to Aion, which I am waiting for).

Ok my problem:

I started a human fighter and got to level nine. I done a quest and finished but once I finished the quest, the quest giver told me to go to a city on the Main land (Gludin). Well once I got there, everything is red. So I am thinking, hey I need to go back. But the ticket to the main land was 1500, well the ticket back is 6000+, and yes I don’t have the cash. Is there anything I can do to get cash here? Or is there a place to go locally to fight and just play there?

Ok, I seen in another post that Bartz was a good server for Americans, is it?

While playing my son was watching and now he has decided to play. My son wants my wife (his mom) to play also, and to top it off my brother in law was watching and liked the game and he’s going to play. So I have my own little group.

What Class/Race would be good for all of us to be?

My son and I made characters last night on Bartz and got to level 7. My son was having a blast. So I guess I will be sticking around for awhile. But seeing the post on Hear-Sayers it seems that this game is slow and will require other things to do (like socializing). What are some of the other things to do besides kill everything that moves?

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

If you are going to play a human you should stay on talking island until 20.

you can also have members of your family play other races and join you as you are given gatekeeper tokens to other new player areas.

Keep in mind that there are only a few tokens and they can only train their skills in their own starting area (or in one of the larger mainland towns/cities.

I couldn't begin to tell you what group woudl work as there are so many choices. you should go to the main forums for L2 and do some searching or ask there perhaps. I'm also a big believer in play what you enjoy. As L2 has a hard grind and you will be with your character for quite some time you should play something you like.

If someone if playing a buffer and they hate it, they really will hate it at higher lvls.

Bartz is a fine server for you to start on as it has a pretty large population.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SarykSaryk Member UncommonPosts: 476

I have another question about grades. I hear people say get grade D weapons. But then I hear grade C. Which is better?

Also what are soulshots?

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

Originally posted by Gkarn

I have another question about grades. I hear people say get grade D weapons. But then I hear grade C. Which is better?

Also what are soulshots?

different grades are available at level intervals.

at level 20 you can use D grade.  At level 40 you can use C grade and so on.  Naturally, C is better than D but you must have achieved the skill level to use it or you'll be penalized pretty severely.

Once you hit 20 go to Giran and check weapons and Armor shops.  You can find partial topD sets there.  Players will charge over 1m a piece for Brig armor which can be had for 200-300k at the NPC shop.  It always helps to know whats avaialbe at NPC's before you buy from a player shop.

soulshots are used to add damage to your weapon.  Think of it like ammunition that is loaded into the weapon for additional damage. 

drag the stack of soulshot (SS) to your hotkey bar.  Once its there, right click on it.  The icon will change to a wavy animation.  Each time you attack you will automatically use soulshots. Right click it again in the hotkey bar and it turns it back to manual.  The amount of SS you use per hit depends on the weapon which can be checked in its description.

you may not want to load/use SS each time you land an attack automatically.  In that case, just hit the relevant hotkey that you placed the stack in during battle to give yourself additional damage.  Using SS gets expensive once you get in the habit of using it automatically and its no longer recieved in quest rewards.

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • windstrike1windstrike1 Member Posts: 553

Originally posted by Gkarn

the quest giver told me to go to a city on the Main land (Gludin). Well once I got there, everything is red. So I am thinking, hey I need to go back. But the ticket to the main land was 1500, well the ticket back is 6000+, and yes I don’t have the cash.

You wanted HARDCORE?  Welcome to the mainland fresh-meat!

haha, just kiding, but anyway, good luck.

• GreatnessGreatness Member UncommonPosts: 2,180

Haha wow this brought back memories.. I remember in closed beta I bought a ticket as quickly as possible (because I basically thought the goal was to get off the island) and when I got there I was like level 6/7 or so (this was at the time when the monsters outside of Gludin were pretty darn close to the main entrance as I recall). I ended up delvling so much trying to run all the way to Elf Village because I did not take the roads and then ended up having to level there with all the elves because I was too poor to do anything lol.

Moral of story: don't buy a ticket to get out of TI if you are new unless you are 15+.

~Greatness~

Currently Playing:
    Nothing

Guys I must say thank you for the information. It really helps me understand. And for being fresh meat. Well I am that right now.

• nutButter123nutButter123 Member Posts: 105

Lineage 2 has some of the best people on it.

Ballistic!

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

WELCOME TO DEADAGE TWO, where it is really hard to grind shit now...

Lineage 2 since i quit two years ago or so and came back has had many changes made to it, its a lot harder to kill mob's in dungeon's for seven sign's, and that was a good way of profit in lineage 2 to get your c grades, and ect, ect...

I have to admit though, fighters can kill stuff on some lower level dungeon's, SH,SORC, and SPS cant...

Fiding a group on my server is hard i went to both my level dungeon's, and NOT A single group there at all GEE...

Lineage 2 DEAD? I think so, is it worth playing now I dont really know :P, the ecnomics have came down, but ecnomics are no good if you cant kill anything... =O and all the servers have light ammount of players on it =O

• EllyrionEllyrion Member Posts: 193

Originally posted by Renoaku

WELCOME TO DEADAGE TWO, where it is really hard to grind shit now...
    Lineage 2 since i quit two years ago or so and came back has had many changes made to it, its a lot harder to kill mob's in dungeon's for seven sign's, and that was a good way of profit in lineage 2 to get your c grades, and ect, ect...
    I have to admit though, fighters can kill stuff on some lower level dungeon's, SH,SORC, and SPS cant...
    Fiding a group on my server is hard i went to both my level dungeon's, and NOT A single group there at all GEE...
    Lineage 2 DEAD? I think so, is it worth playing now I dont really know :P, the ecnomics have came down, but ecnomics are no good if you cant kill anything... =O and all the servers have light ammount of players on it =O

Okay ... I'll bite LOL

With the caveat that I don't know your level, class or equipment set up, let me throw this out there...

You assert that L2 is dead because you can't get a pick up group when you log in.

Here is why I think you're wrong and what you need to do to address your issue.

Concept 1 - The world of Aden has expanded 6 times in size and content since the start of the game.

By logical extension of this fact the player density has reduced proportionately accross all zones. If we accept the pluck that after 4 years of game play, the average player level is somewhere between lv 60-70 this would suggest to me that not only are the lower level areas going to be deviod of players but more importantly there is still a massive amount of areas to spead the 60-70 lv players anyway.

Concept 2 - The concept of the group in an MMO.

What is your understanding of a group in an MMO ? I ask you this because despite the obvious answer there is actually more to it when it comes to L2. There are 2 fundamentally linked group options unlike other MMO's. One is for PVP and the other classic PvE.

This has massive implications for the pick up group concept... It is further exacerbated by all the classic hang ups of group based play, like level, class, equipment, consumables, skill in playing your class, game knowledge, geographical awareness and the ability to read the ingame map!!!!

Concept 3 - Cost of XP, yep you pay for your XP in L2 !

L2 group play is underpinned by the neverending need  to maximise efficiency and minimise cost.

Your consumable (SS, BSpS, Spirit Ore)  use alone is a significant factor, so you need to be able to contribute effectively to the group to maximise efficiency, otherwise you're just sponging off the group.

Nothing new here really from other MMO's, however, the issue is more sensitive in L2 because everything is massively espensive, and the higher you go the more expensive your gameplay becomes! Remember the dual cycle, when ppl XP in L2 they are actually SPENDING MONEY to do so, and any loot pick up is effectively a return on investment. You will not break even picking up adena off the dead mobs alone, which brings me to the next point...

To recover costs you need to take the game "beyond" the group. The materials collected have to be turned into something profitable which is subsequently sold. This also goes for those rare times that you actually get a whole item drop, incl lifestones and various enchant scrolls for Wps and Armour.

This takes time and is DOES NOT work in a pick up group. To say that you can random loot in a group works for other games... IT DOES NOT work in L2.

The reason is that the usage of consumables is still not quite balanced out between DPS classes and Support classes. Add to this the cost of crystals for summons and some classes are really struggling to finance contributing at the optimum to the group.

Concept 3 - Experience

Skills descriptions aren't very descriptive at all, and no amount of reading is going to teach you the critical timing and situational awareness with which you need to apply your skills. This is not the same as knowing what skills you have or what they do. I hope you understand the difference. The amount of times I have to remind inexperienced BD's or SwS how to synnergise their effects is mind boggling.

Without understanding of what to do in a particular situation there is no way I would take you deep into the Forge of the Gods or Primeval Isle to hunt. Even using vent or TS we will all die by the time someone explains to you what is going on...You will end up training your group and wasting everyones time and money to recover.

Concept 4 - Death Penalty and its Consequences.

If we all accept that levelling in L2 is "difficult" then it stands to reason that noone wants to throw XP away. Not so much of an issue at lower levels but by the time you're hitting the mid 50's most ppl will be looking for that %res. 

So every time someone dies you blow at least 1.5m in Bres scrolls or if you are lucky get a high level EE or Bishop to res you...

Having said that in order to effect said res irrespective of the % you're going to recover, you still need someone to get the resser into the spot you died in. This not only takes time but also runs the same problem that in a lot of cases it will require a group to fight into the XP area... Bottom line, lots of time wasted.

In conclusion,

L2 is not dead, the world is a lot larger, the level range greater and consequently ppl are spread out all over in accordance with their XP, meterial gathering or questing needs. The pick up group game is difficult at best in a lot of MMO's, it is especially difficult in L2 for the reasons I have outlined above.

The solution to all your problems - Join a Clan :)

Food for thought,

Ellyrion Fiallathandriel

The Reckless Knight

Lunatris

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Also, to add to what Elyrion said about clans, the game is about clan and alliance.

Most people who are grouping are grouping with clan and alliance members, people they trust.

So yes "join a clan".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SorrowhoSorrowho Member Posts: 581
    Originally posted by Renoaku

i agree that group's can be very hard to get in L2, but depends on server and your class, everything else is incorrect and Lineage 2 is not dead at all, but the NA suscribtion's aren't that high

Well I am not going to say that its dead. But I went to Giran and it was freaking packed with sellers. I love the game and finding it refreshingly different in a lot of ways.

Oh we also made toon on Hindemith (might have misspelled), because of my bro in law and son. But playing on Bartz and Hindermith………………………..