Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

guild wars advice

iz8086iz8086 Member Posts: 30

hi

i was thinking about playing guild wars and would like to know any  useful tips / hints and also which one i should buy.

thanks

Comments

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

For a new player I would recommend Nightfall, simply because it will offer you the most bang for your buck. It has a long PvE campaign, allows the use of heroes, offers many new skills, 2 unique professions and much more. Following that, I would get Prophecies, then either Eye of the North or Factions. The reason I recommend getting those last are because Eye of the North was designed with veterans in mind, and Factions focuses more on the PvP aspect of the game. Eye of the North requires Prophecies, Factions or Nightfall before you can play it anyway.

Therefore it's between Nightfall and Prophecies if you were to take the above into mind. Considering Nightfall has all 6 professions Prophecies has, plus two extra, a probably equally long PvE campaign, more PvP options as well as the use of heroes as mentioned before, I'd say go for that.

Hope you have fun and look forward to seeing you in-game ;)

• NoUrbanLightNoUrbanLight Member Posts: 70

There are a lot of helpful threads on the same subject of the various expansions here, here, and here.

~~~~~
    "Big surprise... there was no protection by this urban light..."

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

I would like to point you out to the Guild Wars Wikipedia as it will have answers for all your questions. Check out the Getting Started topics for help about the different campaigns and so on. See the stickied post for additional information and help.

Personally I would recommend Nightfall as I consider it the most organized campaign. It's quite easy to understand where you are supposed to go next, you're introduced to new features so you understand them. Nightfall is my favorite campaign as it also gives you heroes.

• iz8086iz8086 Member Posts: 30

thx

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

nightfall by far  the other stand alones dont compare except for proph  but thats just cause iv been playing GW for two years and i got into the game playing proph and remembering the first night i took my ele into those green feilds and doing the pvp for the first time...ahh good old days

i say night fall  then GWEN  and get the others after  cause you will gt a lot enjoy ment with eye of the north then proph or factions and trying to beat those with the few people playing them (unless you get in a good guild (cough CPT cough) 

but one more time NightFall is by far the best choice now a'days

Originally posted by needalife214

nightfall by far  the other stand alones dont compare except for proph  but thats just cause iv been playing GW for two years and i got into the game playing proph and remembering the first night i took my ele into those green feilds and doing the pvp for the first time...ahh good old days

Ah, those were the days. My first char was an ele too. I took things for granted then! Miss those days lol.

• 8hammer88hammer8 Member Posts: 1,812

I tell everyone to start with Prophecies to get the story rolling...plus the ol'  "I  Pre-Sear" thing.

Prophecies / Nightfall / GW:EN / Factions

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

• overactoroveractor Member Posts: 19

I voted eye of the north, but if you want one game to start with, you better buy nightfall, or otherwise prophecies.

Not factions, it's notr fun if you're not experienced, but i may come handy to get your chars to level 20 real fast.

if you are prepared to pay a bit more, I'd go for prophecies AND eye of the north platinum edition.

wazzaaa!
    (i don't play tmn anymore...)

Well, they'll need at least one of the others in order to play GWEN anyway...

• iainiiaini Member Posts: 52

I have to agree..I typically advise starting with Nightfall, that way you have access to heroes early on and the two new classes (Dervish is pretty sweet) in addition to the core classes. After that I would either get Eye of the North or Prophecies... Likely Prophecies as Eye of the North can be pretty tough without knowledge of strong builds and good hero builds.

Lastly is Factions.. I love factions but if you're not prepared your first encounter with afflicted or Jade Brotherhood often results in a bloodbath (typically the blood is yours).. and though you level like a bat out of hell in Factions, of the three main games it's certainly the most difficult, and the two classes introduced can be difficult to play. Assassins are often seen as "glass cannons" and Ritualist are simply a bit odd to play... so yeah, I'd get Factions last.

>_> <_< ^_^

• HelloKirbyHelloKirby Member CommonPosts: 110

For a new player get Prophicies first.  It is the longest and has the slowest advancement pace so you have time to learn how to play.  Second would be nightfall it has heroes and it isn't as fast as factions.  Third would be factions.  Fourth or second is the eye of the north expansion.

You can message me if you have any questions.

• hachanhachan Member Posts: 21

Well actually it is your decision in what you decide to play first, though al I can reccomend to help is read a review or two from a few people to see what they think of each version, thnk carefully, and decide when ready.

Tip wise, just what I have learned from being a a couple of groups and seing what people have been asking for with a few professions:

Ranger: be expected to be told to either pull or trap since for some reason thats whats is wanted most of the time.

Monk: They have some good smiting skills but most of the are wanted in a group for just healing purposes.

Necromancer: The minion master build is what for some reason every group wants for almost every mission.

Warrior: Basicly considerded the tank or in other words a meat sheild.

• sonicwhipsonicwhip Member UncommonPosts: 117

nightfall is probably the best.

• hachanhachan Member Posts: 21

Here is a better tip:

Before buying nightfall or even think about buying eue of the north, make sure your graphics card is powerful enough. Seriously, I just lost my best character because eye of the north needs a strong graphics card.

• iainiiaini Member Posts: 52

hmm I dunno about that.. GW performed just fine with my ancient 9800 Pro AGP until the card literally fell apart. I picked up an Nvidia 6200 and noticed an incredible performance degredation on lower spec Nvidia cards in GW... with the 9800 I could run max res with very little issue (but some frame drop) with the 6200 I was lucky to get 1024 x 768 working decently with frame drop.

my office was tossing out a lot of old systems so I got one of the FireGL X1's out of it and despite it's issues (it's a CAD card not really a gaming card) it performs *fairly* well though I still believe my 9800 Pro outperformed it in GW but it's better than the 6200 by a good margin... but this card is pretty horrible in many other games. First chance I get I'll toss out about a 100$-150$ and get a Radeon X1650 or something along those lines. I've noticed GW seems to prefer ATI cards, that's not to say the game doesn't work on Nvidia.. but you have to really toss a big Nvidia card at it (or so it seems on AGP bus systems) to really get good results.

>_> <_< ^_^

• endlesoneendlesone Member Posts: 109
    Originally posted by iaini

... I've noticed GW seems to prefer ATI cards...

yes because as you might have noticed they are  officialy partnered with ATI for Guild Wars and even i noticed the difference when we used an nVidia card and an ATI thats why im sticking with my ATI 9550 videocard and it is better when playing gw even used 4x AA on it

• sirslayerrsirslayerr Member Posts: 128

I'm running Prophecies on my Vista 64bit computer that's going off of a EVGA Nvidia 8800gt 512mb, so I can run through Crysis and F.E.A.R., and Guild Wars has very nice graphics as well.

• Synth.eticSynth.etic Member Posts: 36

When EOtN was released, i ran it fine on 512ram, and a GeForce4 :-| And with an FX5200 it can look superb (with 1gb+ ram at least). On an FX5200 i got 100fps+ in quiet areas with low settings (if you plan to PvP, should always run on low settings, but that applies to all games)

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

I just got the game couple days ago.  I started with Nightfall, but was very disappointed, because lack of race.  You can only choose Africans because the setting is in North Africa, and with Factions, it's the Asian-style race.

With Prophecies, you get to understand the story from the beginning, learn more newbie stuff through trial and error, and get European races to choose from, which you can also darken.  The downside is the lack of 4 classes without Nightfall and Factions.

If you decide to get Prophecies first, try this website, it helped immensely.

http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Pre-Searing_guide

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Originally posted by observer
    I just got the game couple days ago. I started with Nightfall, but was very disappointed, because lack of race. You can only choose Africans because the setting is in North Africa, and with Factions, it's the Asian-style race.
    With Prophecies, you get to understand the story from the beginning, learn more newbie stuff through trial and error, and get European races to choose from, which you can also darken. The downside is the lack of 4 classes without Nightfall and Factions.
    If you decide to get Prophecies first, try this website, it helped immensely.
    http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Pre-Searing_guide

Should you buy any of the games you could just check out the Guild Wars Wikias it covers pretty much everything there is in the game. For the newbie guides you can go here and pick the campaign you bought.