Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Check this out: Earthrise in 2009 with similar pre-cu crafting-system

Pjay2kPjay2k Member CommonPosts: 260

a Sandbox Style mmo with lots of swg pre-cu elements including a complex crafting system:

"every item ingame will be player made"

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/1879688/thread/169475#1879688

SOE and NGE-Star Wars Galalaxies:
Raph Koster: "It's like dumping the girlfriend who has always been patient and loving to chase after the supermodel who probably won't love you back."

Comments

• vickypollardvickypollard Member Posts: 305

And yet it wont ever be as good.

• EmanresuymEmanresuym Member Posts: 25

why not?

• Because Smed said that sandboxes don't work.  We all know that Smed is the premiere expert in the industry with an unvarnished record of success and being correct.  EVE Online will NEVER have more subscribers than EQ2 ;)

• vickypollardvickypollard Member Posts: 305
    Originally posted by salvaje

Because Smed said that sandboxes don't work.  We all know that Smed is the premiere expert in the industry with an unvarnished record of success and being correct.  EVE Online will NEVER have more subscribers than EQ2 ;)

Yeh they don't work when you're SOE and all youc an do is ruin the game but I bet if Blizzard made one then it would get like 10 million subs lol.

Apparently though with SOE...

level based fantasy mmo's on the subscription model doesn't work.

FPS MMO's don't work

Sequels don't work.

• For those not on to me, my previous post was satire :)

Anything Smed says will work most likely won't work, and anything he says is crap is probably the next great thing in MMO's.

• FishermageFishermage Member Posts: 7,562

It looks interesting. If it actually happens, I'll give it a whirl.

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086

Originally posted by Fishermage

It looks interesting. If it actually happens, I'll give it a whirl.

"If it actually happens.." is the key statement here. I will believe it when it goes live - if ever.

• When the next round of WOW clones inevitably fail, the big publishers will have two options:

1. Turn to the "sandbox with toys" model similar to UO, SWG (Pre-CU), and EVE

2. Dumb it down even more (ie: combat system has "KILL" and "RUN AWAY" buttons)

When this one sinks into their heads, (it will take at least a year after everyone else for Smed) SOE is going to regret the day they let Raph Koster walk out the door...

Ultimately sandbox is the direction the industry MUST go, because it is the only thing that can be different than "kill loot rinse repeat" and realize the potential of a virtual world.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

I would encourage people to check out Fallen Earth. It is along the same lines as Earthrise, but is much further along in development. Totally skill based, no levels/classes, non-loot based player economy, non- fantasy. A recent question of the week from the developers state that as far as being a sandbox the game was going to end up being a 5-7 on a 1 to 10 scale, with WoW/LoTRO being a 1 and EvE being 10. 

This is what many of us wanted during the Pre-CU: some story driven content, along with the open game mechanics we already had.

Check out the section here, or the official site www.fallenearth.com

• ThunderousThunderous Member Posts: 1,152

Originally posted by Burntvet

I would encourage people to check out Fallen Earth. It is along the same lines as Earthrise, but is much further along in development. Totally skill based, no levels/classes, non-loot based player economy, non- fantasy. A recent question of the week from the developers state that as far as being a sandbox the game was going to end up being a 5-7 on a 1 to 10 scale, with WoW/LoTRO being a 1 and EvE being 10. 
    This is what many of us wanted during the Pre-CU: some story driven content, along with the open game mechanics we already had.
    Check out the section here, or the official site www.fallenearth.com

Yes, FallenEarth is the next hope for people who want a sandbox-style MMO.  Of course there is Darkfall, if it ever comes out will probably be the ultimate Sandbox MMO.

But as it stands today, FallenEarth isn't that far from being completed.

Tecmo Bowl.

• EvilsamEvilsam Member UncommonPosts: 200

Originally posted by Pjay2k

a Sandbox Style mmo with lots of swg pre-cu elements including a complex crafting system:
    "every item ingame will be player made"
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/1879688/thread/169475#1879688

It was at the top of my list until I saw it was a full pvp game.

Looking toward Fallen Earth now

• admriker4admriker4 Member Posts: 1,070

I havent gotten too excited over Earthrise just yet. The reason is these small MMO development teams never seem to churn out a decent product. They simply dont have the money. Face of Mankind, Roma Victor, Hellgate London, etc  as examples of poor products by small unknown MMO devs.

I recall similiar hype over Roma Victor. "Everything can be crafted" posts appeared along with "pre-cu replacement sandbox, look at roma victor" appeared on this forum. The game turned out to be complete garbage.

Fallen Earth is another small MMO team with limited funding but big ideas. Ive heard the hype before but thats not what turned me away from FE. Theyre using a quasi-FPS combat system, bleh no thanks. If I want to play a system where my reflexes matter more than my gear Id be playing SWG NGE right now

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Originally posted by admriker4

I havent gotten too excited over Earthrise just yet. The reason is these small MMO development teams never seem to churn out a decent product. They simply dont have the money. Face of Mankind, Roma Victor, Hellgate London, etc  as examples of poor products by small unknown MMO devs.
    I recall similiar hype over Roma Victor. "Everything can be crafted" posts appeared along with "pre-cu replacement sandbox, look at roma victor" appeared on this forum. The game turned out to be complete garbage.
    Fallen Earth is another small MMO team with limited funding but big ideas. Ive heard the hype before but thats not what turned me away from FE. Theyre using a quasi-FPS combat system, bleh no thanks. If I want to play a system where my reflexes matter more than my gear Id be playing SWG NGE right now

I hear you there, and I am not one to typically buy into the hype. But, in this case, the developer, Icarus, made and licensed the game engine that FE uses/will use to other companies and spun off a separate division to produce and release FE. They don't seem to be plagued by the funding/time pressures that many other smaller developers are under, and, in turn, gives them a better chance of putting out a quality product.

Plus, they actually "like" their to be customers, and communicate with and listen to the people that plan to play their game.

What a radical concept.

P.S. The devs responded, in a previous question of the week,  about the sorta FPS combat issue you mention. They said that although combat will be FPS style, it will not be a bunch of twitch based crap where reflexes and frame rate will trump everything.

• admriker4admriker4 Member Posts: 1,070

yeah Ive always like the FE devs style. I havent by any means written their game off. The devs there have earned my trust enough to shell out $50 for the game to at least take a look when it launches.

• forthelulzforthelulz Member Posts: 215

fallen earth interveiw from this site:

Lee described one scene where a newly cloned individual is unable to cope with the new reality which he’s been spawned into and winds up having a bit of a freak-out culminating in offing himself, only to be cloned again to play out the scene again to the bewilderment of by standing NPCs who just watch and make humorous comments.

oh my yes...

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

If I want to play a system where my reflexes matter more than my gear Id be playing SWG NGE right now

Guess you haven't actually played the NGE have you.. the only reflex based thing about it is the space combat, which is a rather minor part of the game.  SWG is your typical "select target, then press 1, 2, 3 ,4 whatever to trigger your skill bar actions in between the autoattacks" type of system that most mmos have.

• Asmiroth20Asmiroth20 Member Posts: 346

Originally posted by randomt

If I want to play a system where my reflexes matter more than my gear Id be playing SWG NGE right now

Guess you haven't actually played the NGE have you.. the only reflex based thing about it is the space combat, which is a rather minor part of the game.  SWG is your typical "select target, then press 1, 2, 3 ,4 whatever to trigger your skill bar actions in between the autoattacks" type of system that most mmos have.

When I think of a typical combat system for a RPG, I think of turn-based combat.  SWG used to be queue-based (meaning speed mods by way of skillboxes and on your gear influenced how fast your attacks were in the fight).  Then with the CU brought the cooldown era which wasn't that bad either. 

Then there's the NGE's combat system.  I don't know what they were thinking.  They wanted a psuedo-FPS system, but with the way the engine worked there was no way it would work without big problems (shooting through walls and such). 

The speed was also sped up because apparently the coders either didn't know how to enhance damage/tone down defenses or were too lazy.  The NGE's combat system is basically broken more than the previous systems.

With that being said, I too am eagerly watching the development of Earthrise.  It's just too bad that it's not Star Wars.