Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Even the Devs come back...

ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Swede (long known as the "Space Dev") has returned to SWG again ;)

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/posts/list.m?start=0&topic_id=614931&#6722898

Comments

• zazzzazz Member UncommonPosts: 408

Ya and?

• HozloffHozloff Member Posts: 193

Keep deluding yourself my friend. Until you can share some major enhancements/changes to the game of note that would appeal to players with some brain and which inlcudes a complete revamp of the UI, player inter-dependancy, player-driven economy, background content, decay, true to the SW lore, in-depth and meaningful objectives/missions/gameplay (ie meaningful and useful city structures, bases, GCW, professions...) you will convince no one this NGE is worth our time and money.

Swede took this job and will do exactly what SOE tells him to do and say, which is more of what we have seen all along and more NGE.

They can't even properly describe what will come in chapter 9 not to mention a clear roadmap of where the NGE is going. From that to actualy doing something of note we are talking light years my man.

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803
    Originally posted by Obraik

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/posts/list.m?start=0&topic_id=614931&#6722898

Might help them with JTL that they admitted they had to reverse engineer to make changes to.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Maybe he couldnt find work cause he worked on SWG....

• Prime8Prime8 Member CommonPosts: 108

Whats that old saying about comming back to the sceen of the crime :P

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261
    Originally posted by firefly2003

He had been working with Space Time Studios after he left SWG.

• MikeMBMikeMB Member Posts: 272

Ya know I'm waiting for one of the 'upset vets' to make the post of "omg well no one would hire him cuz he worked on the NGE!!!"

Still you guys are right on.... Games that are about to die get new or returning Dev's all the time.

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

Originally posted by MikeMB

Ya know I'm waiting for one of the 'upset vets' to make the post of "omg well no one would hire him cuz he worked on the NGE!!!"
    Still you guys are right on.... Games that are about to die get new or returning Dev's all the time.

Or desperate times call for desperate measures?

• Ollie77Ollie77 Member Posts: 164

Originally posted by firefly2003

He had been working with Space Time Studios after he left SWG.

So he worked on the project NCsoft shitcanned?

Hardly a roaring success story for SWG, nice try though Obraik, your persistance is admirable.

Can't counter an argument with a valid discussion point? Fishermage(aka Fisherprice) recommends you cut and paste: ad hominem

"You will come to the conclusion that the only people crazier than the managers who thought this a good idea are those who put up with it and pay for it." - Salvaje (who paid to play the NGE for 18 months) /golfclap

• This means he worked for Freeman.  Hardly a resume enhancer.  Could be his role in the NGE had something to do with unemployability.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    I hate to say this but Lucas Arts/ Lucas Film pulled the rug out from under another developer again, this time BioWare. They weren’t pleased with the progress of the joint project (the next SW MMO) they had going with BW and are now looking to see what SOE has again. Yeah some devs are returning to SOE. Originally BW wanted to do KOTOR era, SOE wants to do a post ROTJ era MMO.

There is some art work from the project that SOE did that’s floating around from a person who worked on the project that SOE had started. He still works for SOE as far as I know. I would name names but I’m sure it’s considered a leak and no reason for the guy to lose his job over it even if he’s a SOE employee. This is why there has been a drop in news lately. It sucks, I know, no idea why LEC is looking at SOE again but it would explain a lot of the mixed rumors that were coming in for a long time. There were 2 different SWG MMO 2 projects all along.

Makes me wonder what was wrong with the BW version. Notice they changed their opinion of “sandbox games” at this year’s GDC, from what they said last year. Now their MMO will most likely end up being something else. That is if LEC decides to go with SOE

I’m sharing this because I feel it’s time to consider this as a possibility whether we like it or not. I think LEC wants to go with someone who can bring with them the current playerbase, as well as pull some of the old back in, maybe BW can't do that with what they had. SWG isn't going away, not when they keep trucking away on it like they are, even with low player populations. If anything it shows SOE will never give up.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261
    Originally posted by tillamook

I hate to say this but Lucas Arts/ Lucas Film pulled the rug out from under another developer again, this time BioWare. They weren’t pleased with the progress of the joint project (the next SW MMO) they had going with BW and are now looking to see what SOE has again. Yeah some devs are returning to SOE. Originally BW wanted to do KOTOR era, SOE wants to do a post ROTJ era MMO.

There is some art work from the project that SOE did that’s floating around from a person who worked on the project that SOE had started. He still works for SOE as far as I know. I would name names but I’m sure it’s considered a leak and no reason for the guy to lose his job over it even if he’s a SOE employee. This is why there has been a drop in news lately. It sucks, I know, no idea why LEC is looking at SOE again but it would explain a lot of the mixed rumors that were coming in for a long time. There were 2 different SWG MMO 2 projects all along.

Makes me wonder what was wrong with the BW version. Notice they changed their opinion of “sandbox games” at this year’s GDC, from what they said last year. Now their MMO will most likely end up being something else. That is if LEC decides to go with SOE

I’m sharing this because I feel it’s time to consider this as a possibility whether we like it or not. I think LEC wants to go with someone who can bring with them the current playerbase, as well as pull some of the old back in, maybe BW can't do that with what they had. SWG isn't going away, not when they keep trucking away on it like they are, even with low player populations. If anything it shows SOE will never give up.

And where does this news come from?

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by Ollie77
    So he worked on the project NCsoft shitcanned?
    Hardly a roaring success story for SWG, nice try though Obraik, your persistance is admirable.

I would be guessing to why Swede returned to SWG, NCSoft cancelled Spacetime almost 2 months ago now.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

Originally posted by tillamook

And where does this news come from?

Well I'm not saying. I'm not sure if it's true, but it seems logical. There is also an expansion for SWG that was canceled; some of the ships you guys got with the recent publish are from that expansion. There are a lot of art assets floating around out there that only exists on the hard drives of the ones who worked on the projects.

From what I was told it was totally out of left field with LEC, but yet typical. I don't like the idea of SOE possibly doing it, but it wouldn't surprise me since I seem to remember that Nancy McIntyre stating that if another SW MMO would be made, in say 2009, it would have the Micro transactions in it that Smed talked so much about. Then all of a sudden things went silent and rumors of BW started, now rumors on the BW front have gone silent and I hear this.

It might not be that SOE lost the rights to do SWG as people originally thought, as it was more the lost the rights to make the next SW MMO to BioWare. Now from what I hear LEC has gone back to SOE.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• PelagatoPelagato Member UncommonPosts: 673

hm... someone go away from a mess up project, the new one got cancelled and then return to the mess up one....

• SunkastSunkast Member Posts: 16
    Nothing will happen, nothing will ever bring back the glorious days of pre-cu, just drift away from the game and stop giving money to these idiots
  • Darean002Darean002 Member Posts: 58

I realize the bitter swg veterans are still upset (I was one of them untill I tried the game again and, guess what, I'm having a blast) but seriously, you guys have been predicting doom and gloom for swg for what, two years now? How many times have you said the game is dead? Yet it still keeps moving along.

Yes, server pops are low, but those of us who have returned are having fun. Most likely more fun than you're having whining on the forums about the game.

**Returned SWG Player**
    Yeah, I used to hate the game because of NGE as much as anyone, but I've been playing the game since Feb. 2008 and have honestly had a good time. If you hate the game, fantastic, move along. Its all been said before and your continuous griefing just makes you look like a sad individual with nothing better to do.

• GutboyGutboy Member Posts: 630

For the bitter vets there is no news that they cannot spin to show/prove the demise of the game. The fact that the game still is going on, getting new content and updates must really get under their skin even now .

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

Originally posted by Gutboy

For the bitter vets there is no news that they cannot spin to show/prove the demise of the game. The fact that the game still is going on, getting new content and updates must really get under their skin even now .

New content and updates for a game that has 1/5 the subscribers that it had before 15 November 2005.

You fail to understand that we're hurting these people by not sending them money.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Show us hard number of the current SWG as of right now and then compare them to CU, PRe-CU era and tell me that the game is doing well......... Show me where that the game is doing well...

And if Lucasarts goes with SOE to make a new Star Wars MMO I wont be paying to play it .... they will frack it up just like they did this one, bug lists longer than a mile, major changes to game play, constant nerfs that are not needed... I can go on and on but Im not....

• GutboyGutboy Member Posts: 630

I fully understand that for a small segment of the former SWG population it is a mission you are on to never give any money to SOW ever again and to try your best to keep any new players from ever playing this game as it stands now. I find it strange though that in the last few months the anti-SWG vets pointed to the "noob devs" as a reason why the game could never get better.  Now they have one back and (he confirmed today that his hire was a addition to the dev team not a replacment for someone) it still goom and doom predictions.

How can the game support more devs if there is no player base? It would seem to me that the hiring of personal is a indication as to the direction the game is headed. No business hires more people if the revenue is sliding.

• MathosMathos Member Posts: 897

Not all, i play wow, could give 2 shits about swg now my guilds there from swg as are a large number of other guilds..

Defend em all you want I don't care, they will never get 1 cent from me again, even pre cu would not bring me back. why you ask.   Friends don't let friends play $oe games.....

I just come here for laughs.

Insert payed fanboi flame here

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Well I certainly am not here to defend anything.

I had seen that Swede returned and wondered about it.

I think people are a tad harsh in how they worded what happened with Space Time Studios.  That was most likely a reaction to the money lost on Tabula Rasa and some projects had to be closed.

Oh and I am a Richard Garriott fanbio if I ever could be a fanboi.. but its hard to argue that TR didn't lose money and there is a reaction from NCSoft to how they are doing overall.

I thought Space Time Studios was still doing the project on their own last I heard..

Oh and Swede worked there before Freeman was hired there.. so not sure how he worked "for" Freeman because he worked at spacetime... (the logic path is a bit muddled there).

I guess I'm just suprised that SOE would actually ADD to the SWG team... rather than replace... someone.

C'mon you have to find that odd...

As to the post about BioWare and LA falling out of favor on some joint MMO where does that news come from again?

If it was true.. in any way... my guess would be the problem was... EA.

EA is probably the only company that could be worse than SOE.

Then again I was never sure I bought into the idea that BioWare was doing a Star Wars MMO... a cross platform game perhaps.. but never thought that was their MMO project.

• RainStarRainStar Member Posts: 638

Glad to see him back on the team!

• neonakaneonaka Member UncommonPosts: 779

Originally posted by SioBabble

New content and updates for a game that has 1/5 the subscribers that it had before 15 November 2005.

You fail to understand that we're hurting these people by not sending them money.

Sigh....     You fail to realize that your not.... you are NOT hurting SOE for money. Sony has more money than god. Countless 0's after a 1. You and the combined efforts of ALL swg vets on planet earth have NOT hurt Sony.

I keep banging my head off of a wall trying to figure out how damn simple minded people have to be to think they made any impact on SOE what-so-ever. You guys hurt SWG's population. That is all, and yes you stopped giving SOE money, but SWG doesn't make up SOE. MANY games make up SOE. Also SOE is just a small part of SONY.

Its like this EVERYONE stopped using microsoft windows on computers and never bought another microsoft product ever. You would cripple Bill Gates and Microsoft.

Now if EVERYONE stopped buying 1 Microsoft Gaming Studio game like Halo 3 (Microsoft does own this game and bungie) you wouldn't even dent Microsoft or impact it by any margin they would deem as "hurting them". <---- this is an example of what SWG vets have done to SOE and more specifically SONY. You stopped buying and playing 1 title out of a library of titles, and not only that you stopped using 1 product out of an OCEAN of products that Sony makes and produces worldwide.

Congratz SWG Vets.