Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My lil PsP

EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

I purchased a PSP a couple months ago and after some time of messing around with it, Im pretty excited over what it can actually do.

1.  I use it as my preferred radio player.  PSP Radio has over 75 genres of music and in each genre of music, it has well over 15 radio stations to choose from. In my opinion, it is actually better than XM radio....and it's free

2. Great portable "DVD player". Ive got 2 4 gig mem sticks so whenever Im travelling, I'll always have about 15 or so movies ready to watch (not the UMDs...already on the sticks).  The sound quality and video quality is virtually identical to the UMD movies.

3. I use it as a phone. Yes. A phone.  I have my own phone number assigned to the PSP and I make calls on it everyday and receive calls.  And I dont look retarded using it as it's in the carrying case with the headset attached to it.  Right now PSP is in the process of developing a blue tooth headset for it.

4. Games are ok.  Seems to me that many of the games developed for the PSP is geared towards 13 year olds.  Not the best games Ive played.

Talking about games, I have EVE rigged onto my PSP. Cant play the full version with it, but as a trader I can log on and check my sales and buys and make sure Im not being undercut or overpriced and then I can make the changes right there on my PSP

5. Unit itself (new one) is very fragile.  Too many low budget plastic pieces.  You have to treat it like an egg or it wont last you a few months.

Overall, its worth the money

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

Comments

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

What the?  No Cable TV?  You need more modding time.

• Keebs1984Keebs1984 Member Posts: 1,356

I like the whole "Remote Play" feature with the PSP/PS3. The idea that I can play Final Fantasy VII on my PSP is cool as hell. . . just sucks when I have the change the disc.

Supposedly theya re going to be adding video encodes to Blu-ray's that allow for the "remote-play" of that movie onto your PSP, sans HD of course.

Eternally mine,
    Keebs

The MMO gaming blog I write for.

• methane47methane47 Member CommonPosts: 3,701

Make sure to check out the PSP store.

They have demos and downloadables there... add ons, wallpapers.. etc.

store.playstation.com/

THey should have a demo up there for God of War chains of Olympus among others

What's your Wu Name?
    Donovan --> Wu Name = Violent Knight
    Methane47 --> Wu Name = Thunderous Leader
    "Some people call me the walking plank, 'cuz any where you go... Death is right behind you.."
    <i>ME<i>

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718

I want to get that new slim PSP. Hey you should check out this (MY) site MAVERICK FORCE. We make stuff for the PSP. We got award winning stuff there. Tell yo friends.

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• ViolentYViolentY Member Posts: 1,458

Originally posted by Enigma

3. I use it as a phone. Yes. A phone.  I have my own phone number assigned to the PSP and I make calls on it everyday and receive calls.  And I dont look retarded using it as it's in the carrying case with the headset attached to it.  Right now PSP is in the process of developing a blue tooth headset for it.
    How did you get that to work? I've been patiently waiting for Skype.

-Machiavelli

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

I purchased a PSP a couple months ago and after some time of messing around with it, Im pretty excited over what it can actually do.
    1.  I use it as my preferred radio player.  PSP Radio has over 75 genres of music and in each genre of music, it has well over 15 radio stations to choose from. In my opinion, it is actually better than XM radio....and it's free
    You have to be near a Wi-fi hotspot for this to work and the defeats the point of portability. I've tried using my PSP as an MP3 player, but I have trouble actually getting songs onto the damn thing with the USB connection and then I have to actually carry it in my hand because if I put it in my pocket and start walking, the shoulder buttons will rub up against the sides of my pockets and skip songs right in the goddamn middle.
    2. Great portable "DVD player". Ive got 2 4 gig mem sticks so whenever Im travelling, I'll always have about 15 or so movies ready to watch (not the UMDs...already on the sticks).  The sound quality and video quality is virtually identical to the UMD movies.
    The PSP has a 4.3 inch screen. I can buy a portable DVD player with an 8 inch screen for about $70 and have the ability to actually rent movies. I can also still pirate movies via the various open-source programs floating around that will burn standard video files onto NTSC or PAL DVD formats. I don't think I have to mention that 1) you can't rent UMDs, and 2) UMDs are more expensive than DVDs.
    I take it that you're referring to the PSP version Skype. Once again, you need to be near a WI-fi hotspot for this to work so it isn't going to help you when your car breaks down on the interstate. Many adult already have cell phones so this is a feature that is meant to appeal to teenagers.
    4. Games are ok.  Seems to me that many of the games developed for the PSP is geared towards 13 year olds.  Not the best games Ive played.
    Actually, the games are really the only damn reason you would want to buy the PSP. The last year has seen some really great releases on the system: Metal Gear: Portable OPs, Syphon Filter, Battlefront 2: Renegade Squadron, Killzone Liberation, God of War, Crush, etc.
    Furthermore, if you're big into fighting games then the PSP is THE portable system for you. The DS is great for experimental or old school games, but the PSP has more modern 3D games in the platform, RPG, and fighting game genre. The DS still has the three best portable FPS games though (Metroid Prime: Hunters, Call of Duty 4 DS, and Dementium: The Ward).
    Basically, I use the PSP for fighting, sports and 3D platforms while my DS gets used for puzzle, retro, and concept titles. Lately my PSP has been running Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX and Virtual Tennis 3 while the DS has been running Contra 4 and soon Ninja Gaiden: Dual Sword.
    Talking about games, I have EVE rigged onto my PSP. Cant play the full version with it, but as a trader I can log on and check my sales and buys and make sure Im not being undercut or overpriced and then I can make the changes right there on my PSP
    You can also do this with the Opera browser on the DS. A stylus is really a more natural way to interact with web pages. The PSP feels slow and awkward in this regard.
    5. Unit itself (new one) is very fragile.  Too many low budget plastic pieces.  You have to treat it like an egg or it wont last you a few months.
     QFT!
    If you buy it used for $130

I just got a PSP as well and use it on a daily basis. But lets not bullshit the good people.The only reason that you'd buy a PSP is for the games. Games are really the only thing that the PSP does well. All the extras are either executed poorly, already handled by a product that most adults already have (cell phones, cameras, etc.), or both.

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928

I bought the Darth Vader Slim PSP for Final Fantasy Tactics about...4-6 months ago. Its been sitting in the case for about 3 months now, my Helio Ocean is ten times the device the PSP could ever hope to be. Im not going to sell my PSP or whatever, waiting for that new Final Fantasy 7 game, ill check that out then determine its fate.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718

Final Fantasy Tactics. I love that game. I'm just kinda mad cuz I'm trying to get some powerful weapons and I have to lower bravery. It kinda stopped me from playin, but I will get back to it. Yo Spathotan, go to my site bro. I'm sure I can keep you occupied for another day or so.

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Originally posted by Jimmy_Scythe

You have to be near a Wi-fi hotspot for this to work and the defeats the point of portability. I've tried using my PSP as an MP3 player, but I have trouble actually getting songs onto the damn thing with the USB connection and then I have to actually carry it in my hand because if I put it in my pocket and start walking, the shoulder buttons will rub up against the sides of my pockets and skip songs right in the goddamn middle.
    Where I live, there is a Wi-fi hotspot everywhere...even on the Interstates.  Getting a signal to play the radio is of no trouble for me.  However, if you live in the boondocks then, yes, you cant use it unless you are near a wireless signal.
    PSP is developing a constant internet access card similiar to a cell phone so this will change soon
    The PSP has a 4.3 inch screen. I can buy a portable DVD player with an 8 inch screen for about $70 and have the ability to actually rent movies. I can also still pirate movies via the various open-source programs floating around that will burn standard video files onto NTSC or PAL DVD formats. I don't think I have to mention that 1) you can't rent UMDs, and 2) UMDs are more expensive than DVDs.
    You can't play games on a portable DVD player. A portable DVD player's screen isnt worth the bulkiness.
    Who says I use UMD movies? lol.  I have over 450 movies and they are all compatable for the PSP. I own only one UMD.
    I take it that you're referring to the PSP version Skype. Once again, you need to be near a WI-fi hotspot for this to work so it isn't going to help you when your car breaks down on the interstate. Many adult already have cell phones so this is a feature that is meant to appeal to teenagers.
    Again, I have wi-fi out where I live including the streets not a problem.  Cell phones carge you at least 30 bucks a month.  Even prepaid averages about 30 a month.  I pay 9 bucks. Same voice and listenining quality.
    Actually, the games are really the only damn reason you would want to buy the PSP. The last year has seen some really great releases on the system: Metal Gear: Portable OPs, Syphon Filter, Battlefront 2: Renegade Squadron, Killzone Liberation, God of War, Crush, etc.
    Furthermore, if you're big into fighting games then the PSP is THE portable system for you. The DS is great for experimental or old school games, but the PSP has more modern 3D games in the platform, RPG, and fighting game genre. The DS still has the three best portable FPS games though (Metroid Prime: Hunters, Call of Duty 4 DS, and Dementium: The Ward).
    Basically, I use the PSP for fighting, sports and 3D platforms while my DS gets used for puzzle, retro, and concept titles. Lately my PSP has been running Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX and Virtual Tennis 3 while the DS has been running Contra 4 and soon Ninja Gaiden: Dual Sword.
    Which is why a PSP is a good system
    You can also do this with the Opera browser on the DS. A stylus is really a more natural way to interact with web pages. The PSP feels slow and awkward in this regard.
    Cant stand the DS. Dead hand held to me. No options to do anything.
     QFT!
    If you buy it used for $130
    I would have spent 250 for it.  I got it for 199. Includes a movie, a game, and a memory card

I just got a PSP as well and use it on a daily basis. But lets not bullshit the good people.The only reason that you'd buy a PSP is for the games. Games are really the only thing that the PSP does well. All the extras are either executed poorly, already handled by a product that most adults already have (cell phones, cameras, etc.), or both.

I don't call it BS. You can do all the things I said.

PSP is more than games. If you don't use your PSP for other things than games then that's your progative; just don't waltze in here acting like Mr Sony assuming I pulled the wool over everyone's eyes.

Anyone with common sense can look into the Skype and Internet radio and say "hmm must be wi-fi or something similiar"

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918

I have a PSP, it's great for certain situations...but I never touch the thing in normal circumstances...I've had it ever since the things came out though, it has survived two moves...if nothing else, it's durable.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

I don't call it BS. You can do all the things I said.

PSP is more than games. If you don't use your PSP for other things than games then that's your progative; just don't waltze in here acting like Mr Sony assuming I pulled the wool over everyone's eyes.
    Anyone with common sense can look into the Skype and Internet radio and say "hmm must be wi-fi or something similiar"

I don't think you pulled the wool over everyone's eyes, but you did embellish the truth a bit. You also overestimate the availability of Wi-Fi. I'm not living "out in the boondocks" and I can tell you right now that you won't be able to get Wi-Fi on any of the major roads outside of the town that I'm in. May the Gods have mercy on you if your car breaks down in the Mohave desert and all you have is a PSP to call for help.

The PSP is a fine portable system and I'm honestly surprised that it hasn't gone the way of the N-Gage already. It hit the market with a price point that was too high, with a weak library of PS2 ports, and was all but ignored by Sony during the year that it launched. Throw in the launch defects plus the fact that that, even at $25 more, the iPod was the better value as a media player, and you can greater appreciate how good this device had to be just to survive for as long as it has.

But if you honestly want to know why I held out so long in getting one, it boils down to the pros and cons.

Pros:

Tech Specs - The PSP has the most advanced specs of any handheld. Ever. There's no argument here. It has the fastest processor and highest graphics capability of any portable system.

Aesthetics - The PSP is a very stylish device. It fits comfortably in your hands and the screen is easy on the eyes.

Saved Game State - This is the coolest feature of the PSP. If you turn the unit off in the middle of a game, it saves the state at that exact moment. This means you can turn off and come right back to the game from where you left off! Very thoughtful.

Cons:

Cheap Construction - As mentioned before, you don't want to drop your PSP. You also want to buy some screen protectors since the entire unit is one big scratch and fingerprint magnet.

Load Times - The idea behind portable gaming is that you play it at times that you aren't able to play your mainstream console games. You know, places like the bus, the waiting room of an office, during a coffe break, etc. If I only have between five and fifteen minutes to play, I'm not going to want to wait through a 20 second loading screen. The new PSP Slim has more memory to cut down on load times and many developers are beginning to stream data off the UMD during play, but it's still noticeable.

Battery Life - This isn't as much of an issue if you're playing music or movies stored on the SD card. It's a big issue if you play games. The battery will only support about three hours of gameplay. Actually, it supports less than that since you'll be playing in short bursts and electronic devices always pull the most juice at start up. The PSP Slim has the same battery life unless you buy a bigger battery that fits the old PSP and a special battery cover. Then you get six hours which is still half the time that you get from a fully charged DS. Did I mention that the PSP slim can only charge through the USB port?

Jack of All Trades, Master of None - The PSP plays MP3's. But the most you can store on it is 4 gigs and you have to buy the storage separately. So.... $200 for the new PSP.... Plus about $30 for the SD card... How much is an iPod again?... $250?... And I get 80 gigs of storage?... And the iPod can play movies too?

Weak Library - It costs almost as much to make a PSP game as it does to make a PS2 game. This means that less games are going to be released for it and most of those games are going to be knock offs of mainstream fare. Given, 2007 was a great year for the PSP, but it was a great year for everybody. Only in the last 18 months or so has Sony really started to show signs that they're beginning to understand the handheld market. Shorter levels, shorter load times, more of a "pick up and play" style, it's just too bad that they're still fighting the iPod.... and losing.... horribly....

DVDs Are Cheaper Than UMDs or Downloads - UMDs can cost as much as $15 more and have none of the extras that are on DVDs. Downloads cost the same as DVDs, but don't have any of the extras that are on DVDs.

And there you have it. Sony totally screwed the pooch here and it shows. But if you're still not getting it, take a look at the two demographics that the PSP was marketed too.

Gadget Addicted Technophiles - When the PSP came out, these guys basically bought one. And then, iPod movies came out.... Then cellphones started to store music and movies... Then smartphones started appearing on the market.... Then the iPhone was released.... I think you get the picture.

Portable Gamers - Who were actually getting tired of doing business with Nintendo. Unfortunately, theres more to portable gaming than raw graphics power. Both the unit and the games have to be made for gaming on the go and neither the PSP, nor the games that were made for it in the first two years, were really built for that. The PSP is too fragile to be lugged around everywhere and the games were too much like their console counterparts in terms of time demands placed on the gamer that were made worse by long load times.

Seriously, I can play games on iPod, Zune, Helio, and even on some cellphones. I can also listen to music, watch movies, browse the web, take pictures, etc. on those devices for roughly the same price as a new PSP.

If you're going to buy a PSP, buy it for the games. Buy it for Killzone: Liberation. Buy it for Crush. Buy it for Patapon. It's worth the $130 you'll pay for a used one.

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Jimmy,

Rather than posting a 5 paragraph treatise of why your wrong we can just agree to disagree ::thumbs up::