Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

They Will Not Last Long

mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396

I believe that the game of RuneScape will not stay around for much longer.  Here is my rant-

With the updates, this takes away two main things that many people are looking for in an MMO- PKing, and friends.  With bounty hunter (not realy pking), all you do is get killed by a huge clan, since there is no spot for 1v1 PvP. Not only this, but unless you are by a doorway, there is no possible way to escape.  This game which once had a pretty good PvP system (the only decent part of the game) has now a terrible PvP.  Not only this, but if you ever do get a kill, you just get bsed in the next 3 seconds.   

Friends.  This was the only other thing that kept me around.  My friends and I would lend things to each other, and when we got a big pk - we would split up the stuff.  Say one of us died, we would lend him 250k, and tell him to keep it til he gets the cash to pay us back.  But now all of this is over.  With the new 3k limit, I am now unable to lend anyone anything.  If I were to do bounty hunter and get a big kill (and magically get out without getting bsed) I could not give any of my fellow friends the a slice of the kill.  This game now is to people who don't like lending things to their friends..

Now that i got the updates out of the way, there are still other reasons why this game will not last long.  -

Combat System-  This game seriously has the worst combat sysytem in the world.  Not only this, but it al revolves around luck.  Even if I were 10 lvels lower than someone, if I were to get the lucky hits and he were to hit low, then I would win the battle (which makes no sense).   Not only that, but it is a slash, wait, slash, wait, kind of battle system.  Also, one class pretty much owns all at a high level (especially if you f2p).  Melee can easily take out range, since mage has no armour to wear,  and melee takes out range, since range has only adddy against a melee's rune armour.  That is why this game has a terrible combat system. 

Graphics - I am not one to judge a game on graphics, but these are pretty damned bad.  These are prolly the worst 2D graphics around.  I could care less if you don't need a download.  The downloads are truely terrible, and they have hardly (if even) gotten better over the 5 years this game has been out.  

One of These Days - One of these days, a company will be like, "WEll gee, I think we should make a browser based game, so people don't need a download!"  "Agreed Sir".  Not only this, but this company will have a good graphics designer, so there will be better graphics.  And, this is crazy, but they will be....SMART about their game and make.....Useful updates more than once every 6 months!! I know its crazy but it just may happen....It's only a matter of time.

Custamor Service - JOKE.  CRAPPY.  WORST IN THE WORLD.  Are many things I have heard about Jagex's custamor service.  At first I was like, now guys, it can't be that bad.  But then came the day I was hacked.  I tried and tried to get my account back, but let's face it, JaGeX doesn't even look at if your hacked.  This is especially for if your f2p, since they really don't care about it.  Even for emembers though, customer service is a joke.  When it comes to the easy stuff they answer, but when something big happens, they just turn the other cheek.  If you do manage to get your account back, then the hacker just has to type in your previous passwords and BAM!, your hacked again.  It's hard to have a good customer service when all JaGeX really cares about your money.

Updates - REDICULOUS (even for members). JaGeX makes some of the most pointless updates in the world.  I mean, every now and then they will come out with a decent skill, but usually a pointless skill (like construction), which is cool, but really doesn't have much of a benefit.  But staying away from the skills, there are many other updates which no one really gives a crap about.  Like the music update they made.  WOW! NEW MUSIC GUYS!!! Wait, why do I care? How is this trying to make this game better?  What is the goddam point of this update?!  This is just one of the many updates that hardly affect people.  I would wrather get an update every 3 months and actually make a remotley big IMPROVEMENT on the game, than them make updates that no one really cares about.  They should really be making updates that actually help make this better for people who like to pk.  Bounty Hunter is a joke, so mabye they should try to make some updates to fix that instead of worrying about the music?  Although they have constant updates, no one really pays much attention to 95% of them.

What I'm saying is that this game will not be around for long.  Since it has strpped away kindness, updates destroying the game, terrible graphics, and many other things. 

I will give it 2 to 3 years AT BEST.

Thanks for reading the whole thing lol

~mike470~ 

Comments

• AznChimpGuyAznChimpGuy Member Posts: 29

man i really agree with you first it was good but now its the suckiest game ever now iisted of 2 or days i will give them 1 daybecause i got hacked to and they wont even do anything about it

• AkaJetsonAkaJetson Member Posts: 1,167
    Originally posted by mike470

I believe that the game of RuneScape will not stay around for much longer.  Here is my rant-
        With the updates, this takes away two main things that many people are looking for in an MMO- PKing, and friends.  With bounty hunter (not realy pking), all you do is get killed by a huge clan, since there is no spot for 1v1 PvP. Not only this, but unless you are by a doorway, there is no possible way to escape.  This game which once had a pretty good PvP system (the only decent part of the game) has now a terrible PvP.  Not only this, but if you ever do get a kill, you just get bsed in the next 3 seconds.   
    They are making more PvP arenas with 1v1.
       Friends.  This was the only other thing that kept me around.  My friends and I would lend things to each other, and when we got a big pk - we would split up the stuff.  Say one of us died, we would lend him 250k, and tell him to keep it til he gets the cash to pay us back.  But now all of this is over.  With the new 3k limit, I am now unable to lend anyone anything.  If I were to do bounty hunter and get a big kill (and magically get out without getting bsed) I could not give any of my fellow friends the a slice of the kill.  This game now is to people who don't like lending things to their friends..
    Try lootshare. It splits the drops from the kill between the players and gives thosewho didnt get any last time ore of a chance next time.
    Now that i got the updates out of the way, there are still other reasons why this game will not last long.  -

Graphics - I am not one to judge a game on graphics, but these are pretty damned bad.  These are prolly the worst 2D graphics around.  I could care less if you don't need a download.  The downloads are truely terrible, and they have hardly (if even) gotten better over the 5 years this game has been out.  
    The graphics  are 3D not 2D and they are bad because its in a web browser.
       One of These Days - One of these days, a company will be like, "WEll gee, I think we should make a browser based game, so people don't need a download!"  "Agreed Sir".  Not only this, but this company will have a good graphics designer, so there will be better graphics.  And, this is crazy, but they will be....SMART about their game and make.....Useful updates more than once every 6 months!! I know its crazy but it just may happen....It's only a matter of time.

Updates - REDICULOUS (even for members). JaGeX makes some of the most pointless updates in the world.  I mean, every now and then they will come out with a decent skill, but usually a pointless skill (like construction), which is cool, but really doesn't have much of a benefit. 
    It was to fix the economy i think.

The rest of  the stuff you said was sort of agreeable but not all of it.

?

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396

They are making more PvP arenas with 1v1.

Yes, but you know that there will be many restrictions.  By the way, the dual arena is 1v1 too?  We all know thats a joke.

Try lootshare. It splits the drops from the kill between the players and gives thosewho didnt get any last time ore of a chance next time.

Lootshare is extremely unreliable.  If I were to get a d chain drop, then how would I split this achievement with my friends?  By giving them 3k?  That will make then happier...

The graphics  are 3D not 2D and they are bad because its in a web browser.

Yes, but people will make better.

Updates - REDICULOUS (even for members). JaGeX makes some of the most pointless updates in the world.  I mean, every now and then they will come out with a decent skill, but usually a pointless skill (like construction), which is cool, but really doesn't have much of a benefit. 

It was to fix the economy i think.

How would construction help the ecominy?  By selling overpriced planks mabye.  By the way, the ecomeny has enough troubles, and construction isn't making it much better.

By the way, construction was just one example.  Like the musc update they made.  How does that even help anyone?  I would wrather them try to make the gameplay better, or work on the combat system or something.  There are many more things that need changing, and music shouldn't be one of their main concerns.

• LunethLuneth Member Posts: 63

This game isn't 2D, but i do agree that those graphics wants me to puke

Originally posted by Luneth

This game isn't 2D, but i do agree that those graphics wants me to puke

Well 3D or 2D, there still terrible.

• LlamsterLlamster Member Posts: 234

Jagex just made Bounty Hunter 1v1, and they're working on more PvP minigames.
    They're also coming out with a Lending system, though I highly doubt it'll fix the problems you mentioned. However, it's either be unable to lend you friends stuff or force the game to be closed down much sooner than the 2-3 years you predict due to credit card fraud from all the bots that were swarming the game previously.
       Combat System-  This game seriously has the worst combat sysytem in the world.  Not only this, but it al revolves around luck.  Even if I were 10 lvels lower than someone, if I were to get the lucky hits and he were to hit low, then I would win the battle (which makes no sense).   Not only that, but it is a slash, wait, slash, wait, kind of battle system.  Also, one class pretty much owns all at a high level (especially if you f2p).  Melee can easily take out range, since mage has no armour to wear,  and melee takes out range, since range has only adddy against a melee's rune armour.  That is why this game has a terrible combat system. 
    Mage is underpowered in most cases, but it can overwhelm melee and range in some occasions. Range isn't underpowered at all if you're smart about it. And the combat isn't boring or dull at all when we're talking about PvP and even PvE in some instances (boss hunting, for example).
    Take a look at a screenshot of RuneScape Classic, and you'll shut up instantly. Jagex is actually working on its SECOND batch (the first one being RS2) of graphical updating, one town and NPC at a time.
    And the graphics are 3D, and they have been since the aforementioned release of RS2.
    Plus, the graphics are a lot better than that of many other MMORPGs. For example, Ashen Empires.
    It will happen soon, this year probably, because there's a lot of evidence that Jagex is making another MMORPG.
        Custamor Service - JOKE.  CRAPPY.  WORST IN THE WORLD.  Are many things I have heard about Jagex's custamor service.  At first I was like, now guys, it can't be that bad.  But then came the day I was hacked.  I tried and tried to get my account back, but let's face it, JaGeX doesn't even look at if your hacked.  This is especially for if your f2p, since they really don't care about it.  Even for emembers though, customer service is a joke.  When it comes to the easy stuff they answer, but when something big happens, they just turn the other cheek.  If you do manage to get your account back, then the hacker just has to type in your previous passwords and BAM!, your hacked again.  It's hard to have a good customer service when all JaGeX really cares about your money.
    If you can't get your account back, then how come the hacker can get it instantly? I was able to get my own account back within a matter of days after I forgot my password, even though I hadn't set my recovery questions. Jagex has automated machines that can do the job.
    I don't think you're being totally honest, but I have to agree with you mostly on this. Jagex's customer support is pathetic.
       Updates - REDICULOUS (even for members). JaGeX makes some of the most pointless updates in the world.  I mean, every now and then they will come out with a decent skill, but usually a pointless skill (like construction), which is cool, but really doesn't have much of a benefit.  But staying away from the skills, there are many other updates which no one really gives a crap about.  Like the music update they made.  WOW! NEW MUSIC GUYS!!! Wait, why do I care? How is this trying to make this game better?  What is the goddam point of this update?!  This is just one of the many updates that hardly affect people.  I would wrather get an update every 3 months and actually make a remotley big IMPROVEMENT on the game, than them make updates that no one really cares about.  They should really be making updates that actually help make this better for people who like to pk.  Bounty Hunter is a joke, so mabye they should try to make some updates to fix that instead of worrying about the music?  Although they have constant updates, no one really pays much attention to 95% of them.
    One thing I'm getting from your post is that you seem to think that your opinion represents that of all RuneScape players. And your opinion is wrong, because a lot of the updates Jagex makes are really good in the eyes of many different players. Jagex introduces loads of new content regularly, like the God Wars Dungeon, ZMI altar, dozens of quests, and Summoning.
    And the music update was made by the audio team, and if you don't care about music then you shouldn't care about the update because the audio team is completely seperate from the developers that make the type of updates that you care about.
        What I'm saying is that this game will not be around for long.  Since it has strpped away kindness, updates destroying the game, terrible graphics, and many other things. 
    ~mike470~ 
    Updates destroying the game? I assume you mean the Dec. 10 updates, and they actually saved the game from credit card fraud due to the autoers, as I mentioned earlier.
    And RuneScape has one to two hundred thousand players logged on at any time. The community would have to drop at a ridiculous rate to be dead by 2-3 years. And after the initial dip due to the Dec. 10 updates, it's recovered and is actually growing, as far as I can tell.
    In 2-3 years, I'm sure that you'll realize this post is wrong :).

The thing I don't like about you most is actually the fact that you think you're opinion is shared by everyone else when it's really not.

Have played: RuneScape, EQ2 (free trial), Last Chaos, Silk Road, Dungeon Runners.
    Currently playing: RuneScape, Dungeon Runners.

The notion that graphics, or anything else for that matter, are anywhere near as important as gameplay/fun is so utterly ridiculous that anyone who shares such a view should be placed in an asylum.

Jagex just made Bounty Hunter 1v1, and they're working on more PvP minigames. 

I made this post before the update..

Anyway.  Now bounty hunter is for higher levels only, since it's one on one, no one can help them unless there is a pjer around. 

The new single PvP update is going to be safe. I would make an assumption that this means you don't lose things when you die.  People were looking for something to bring back to good old Edgeville days of the wilderness.  Now all this is another duel arena.....No risk added at all.

They're also coming out with a Lending system, though I highly doubt it'll fix the problems you mentioned. However, it's either be unable to lend you friends stuff or force the game to be closed down much sooner than the 2-3 years you predict due to credit card fraud from all the bots that were swarming the game previously.

PLEASE.  This game had real world trading problems the day JaGeX allowed this game on miniclip. JaGeX is in the same problem that Blizzard was in.  But instead of making bad updates which angers people, they decided to sue the company that did this (there were RuneScape websites that did this as well).  So instead of JaGeX trying to fix the updates in game, mabye they should try to fi out where this is happening and take action.  These people are breaking rules, and if JaGeX wanted to, they could easily sue AND win a case, getting rid of the major real world item trading.

Mage is underpowered in most cases, but it can overwhelm melee and range in some occasions. Range isn't underpowered at all if you're smart about it. And the combat isn't boring or dull at all when we're talking about PvP and even PvE in some instances (boss hunting, for example).

At higher levels (probably 70 and above) when the hell can mage overcome melee, (more than not in free to play).  Mabye if your lucky in mems, but never in f2p.

Range is underpowered in f2p, but is pretty equal in members.  Soryy for not stating this before

And the combat system is still pretty dull.  It's not like I'm fighting a boos and I'm like - "Quick, I need a healer!  I need a Buff" etc.  I can just sit there, inventory open, and eat up my food as I get damaged.  Intense, right?

Take a look at a screenshot of RuneScape Classic, and you'll shut up instantly. Jagex is actually working on its SECOND batch (the first one being RS2) of graphical updating, one town and NPC at a time.

And the graphics are 3D, and they have been since the aforementioned release of RS2.

Plus, the graphics are a lot better than that of many other MMORPGs. For example, Ashen Empires.

It will happen soon, this year probably, because there's a lot of evidence that Jagex is making another MMORPG.

HAHAHA.  I' wasn't talking about JaGeX.  I'm talking about another company, who will over exceed them, and their graphics.

If you can't get your account back, then how come the hacker can get it instantly? I was able to get my own account back within a matter of days after I forgot my password, even though I hadn't set my recovery questions.

See?  If you can do that, than why not an experienced hacker?   It would not be that hard for someone who has the ability to do it.

Jagex has automated machines that can do the job.

This is the problem.  Matters liek people getting hacked should not be held by machines.  I understand that they probably get a lot of these, but I would wrather wait two weeks for an actualy person to look over my data, than have some stupid, inaccurate computer look it over.

I don't think you're being totally honest, but I have to agree with you mostly on this.

Your right, I just love to lie for no reason?

Jagex's customer support is pathetic.

One thing I'm getting from your post is that you seem to think that your opinion represents that of all RuneScape players.

I'm sorry, but where in that post did i say - MOST RUNESCAPE PLAYERS THINK THIS!!! THIS IS NOT ONLY MY OPINION!!  I don't believe I did..

And your opinion is wrong, because a lot of the updates Jagex makes are really good in the eyes of many different players. Jagex introduces loads of new content regularly, like the God Wars Dungeon, ZMI altar, dozens of quests, and Summoning.

You're not getting my point though.  I would wrather them work on something to make things like bounty hunter better, or a way so I can pk with a small group with risk, or a way that they can stop RWTer's without these updates.  I would wrather them think about this than doing other small things that not many people think about.

And the music update was made by the audio team, and if you don't care about music then you shouldn't care about the update because the audio team is completely seperate from the developers that make the type of updates that you care about.

True, my bad.

~mike470~ 

Updates destroying the game? I assume you mean the Dec. 10 updates, and they actually saved the game from credit card fraud due to the autoers, as I mentioned earlier.

Yes, but they do not attract many other players with these updates...Dont you see?!  When I look for a game to play with my other friends, and I see the fact that I can't lend them cash, I'm done with that game in a second.  All these updates do is attract younger, immature players to fill up the community.

And RuneScape has one to two hundred thousand players logged on at any time.

Lol, mabye in the good old days.  Now they only get that on the weekends.

The community would have to drop at a ridiculous rate to be dead by 2-3 years.

Yes, but like I said.  There will hardly be any mature players left.  Just a bunch of kids who went to miniclip and decided to play.

And after the initial dip due to the Dec. 10 updates, it's recovered and is actually growing, as far as I can tell.

It is growing, but it will take a while to grow back the community that it lost.  You see, now more young people infest the game.  With this update, they lost the older people.

In 2-3 years, I'm sure that you'll realize this post is wrong :).

In two to three years, while you're stuck playing this shit game, I will have tried many other games.  I would have never realized why I played this game in the first game.  In 2 to 3 years, you will realize you're playing with a bunch on immature brats, and the community will crumble and crumble.

In 2 to 3 years, you will look back and say - "Wow, that mike470 guy was right", and you were wrong :)

• Matt269Matt269 Member Posts: 124

I just wanted to say I agree with you. Runescape isn't going to last much longer. As I have probably mentioned before, its not just the updates but the fact that Jagex doesn't care about players.

I got permanently banned for saying "?????? "

While i see other players cursing and insulting each other and nothing gets done i get perm muted for question marks. Apparently for spamming which is considered offensive language.

All in all, Runescape won't last.

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

runescape isn't going anywhere, it'll be around as long as WoW is.

it's just a simple and blatent fact that runescape can't die.   they reach a point where even it's crap player base can attract more people, pretty much till the end of time.   and this growth base is amplified by no-barrier to entry methods of joining.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

Originally posted by paulscott

runescape isn't going anywhere, it'll be around as long as WoW is.
    it's just a simple and blatent fact that runescape can't die.   they reach a point where even it's crap player base can attract more people, pretty much till the end of time.   and this growth base is amplified by no-barrier to entry methods of joining.

Yes, but sooner or later, it will have to die.  And before it dies, it will reach a point where its full of little kids who went to Miniclip.  Even if it does stay around for longer, it will crumble and crumble, especially the community.

• Matt269Matt269 Member Posts: 124

Runescape is gonna die for sure. It's just a matter of time. It's already ridden with immature little kids. After so many bad updates and a lousy customer support along with the community getting steadliy worse its only a matter of time before it dies. Instead of making bad updates they should have tried to fix what was already wrong. Its such a shame cause it used to be a good game.

• K33n0K33n0 Member Posts: 80

Mike, I agree with most of your points in there but to be fair, what an awesome comback about the Music updates from Llamster =P

I also agree with Paulscott, because I think that RuneScape will still be around for a while, possibly not aslong as WoW though, as, like you said, any random kid can just go onto MiniClip and click on RS. With the amount of people that visit MiniClip every day, I'm sure that RS will be around for at least the next 2 years, even if it's solely populated by little children. JaGeX might even have to change the age limit too      XD     That will be a sure-fire way to rid RS of the older, more mature players who have been playing the game since day 1.

• StineburgStineburg Member Posts: 2

I agree, I admit, I've been playing since 2002, and am still addicted.  In fact, I was just on a while ago, doing mindless repetitive tasks so i could have maxed stats and actually DO PVP successfully.  They came out with a new website called Funorb as some of you know, and they're coming out with more and more games later next year....  I agree it never will die, I myself still pay members for the weekly updates.  Oh, and I play with private to friends, and public to friends whenever I'm on, little kids spamming along and saying "noob" is enough to start a killing spree (daydreams to last year) *sigh* so many dead innocents