Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is City of Heros worth my money?

NoctivonNoctivon Member Posts: 1
I played with CoH in a open beta version and I thought it was fun but I never got invited into a group.  I just want to know how easy is it to find groups and how fast does it take to level up to good parts of the game?image

Comments

• sidebustersidebuster Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

Yeah it is easy to find a group, not easy, but like regular i guess. I never had a problem.

• WhitelinesWhitelines Member Posts: 17
    It's a great game if you are looking for a month long diversion.

Played: CoH, PS
    Tested: CoH

I may look non-threatening. But ill have you know I once punched a magician.

• HelixwolfHelixwolf Member Posts: 345

Personally, it was easy for me to find groups easily up until 36, after that they seemed rare.

With lvling up, I got two characters, one to 36 and the other to 40 in a month and a half; so lvling is easy if you know your way around.

• TintagilTintagil Member UncommonPosts: 214
    What I want to know is there anything more to the game than treadmilling?  From what i've heard the only cool feature is the character creation process.  I really don't know.  I've never played it or betad it,  but if there is only the gind to look forward too why so many people play?

• GreenbirdGreenbird Member Posts: 8

City of Hero's is a well made game, and the combat is very fun, for a while. While it's great at the one thing it does (combat), it does lack the Depth that others have. As for leveling up to the good parts of the game IMO it's fun from the beginning, but as you get used to the combat it get less and less fun. Their is no crafting in the game (which i for one don't see as a prob, but i can understand others wanting it), and no real exploration. While going and seeing the different zones is great and each is diffent, once you walk in the door you've pretty much seen the whole zone. This isn't helped by the fact that once you get a travel power, you can be more or less anywhere in the zone in a matter of seconds/minutes. While there are indoor mission to take, they are also very simalar. Go in, kill every one, save the hostage, look for clues. City of heros get VERY repetitive, HOWEVER, while the game is more or less just killing the bad guys over and over again this is fun to do. The combat is probably the best of any game i've played. If your one of the people who like to play all day every day ( like i was with eq) then this game isn't for you. City of Heros is the ultimate casual game, and i don't think alot of people who hate the game understand this. This game isn't really ment to be played all day every day. That said, I can say that if people who like to play their game all day can make the swich to 1 or 2 hours a day they will have fun with the game. I say this from my own Experience. I tried to play the game like eq, for large amounts of time, and i got sick of the game and quit for about a week. Now when i log on i play for only a hour or 2. In that time the game is fun, but if you go for a marathon session, you will most likely get sick of it.

All in all the game is great, and they add new content for free, which is almost always great. From what i have read update 2 is going to try to adress some of the repetitiveness, which is good even from a casual standpoint. The first expansion, City of Villans, from what i hear (although i may be wrong on this), will add crafting, as well as player bases and PvP. So they are trying to adress the repetitive aspects of the game.

As for grouping, i find it very easy to find a group (although i prefer to solo most of the time). You can usually find a group in about 5 to 15 mins of going lfg, as long as your not on a really strange hours, like 4 A.M. on a monday.

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

Originally posted by Tintagil
    What I want to know is there anything more to the game than treadmilling?  From what i've heard the only cool feature is the character creation process.  I really don't know.  I've never played it or betad it,  but if there is only the gind to look forward too why so many people play?

At this point in time thats all there is to do... While it is fun as all get out at first it will get very repetative and boring in time to you...Its a very well made game and could have been the best ever, but the devs forgot one major aspect that us old timers over on there forums were trying to make sure they put in... And that was depth, when I mean depth I mean like AO depth where there are a variety of shops, Static dungeons, quest, missions, items, crafting, raids, GM events, GM roleplayers,  PVP, Lots of Dynamic Bosses, ect...

Some here will try to convince you that this game has that.. But trust me if you ever played AO, SWG. EVE, EQ, Hell EnB  you would know what I mean by depth... A game should have more to do in it besides go outdoor and hunt or go indoor (misisons) and hunt..

Maybe when the Expansion comes out and some new features are implemented this game will be worth the 50 bucks.. But for now its just Eye Candy and a month diversion that quickly wears on you if your used to more out of your MMO...

But hell dont take my word for it.. Try it for yourself :P

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• TintagilTintagil Member UncommonPosts: 214
    Thanks fellas for your imput.  A lot of what you said is what I was thinking.  I'll wait until CoV comes out and check up on it then.  Maybe that will add the depth I seek for in games.

• losdaddy8losdaddy8 Member Posts: 1
    Me too! Actually, what I had to do was take a break and pick it up again. I find it more entertaining than most right now. I think it seems everyone is waiting for EQ2 and WoW.

• HelixwolfHelixwolf Member Posts: 345

Originally posted by Tintagil
    Thanks fellas for your imput.  A lot of what you said is what I was thinking.  I'll wait until CoV comes out and check up on it then.  Maybe that will add the depth I seek for in games.

I agree, I just quit CoH because the grind was really boring me out. Depending on the type of content patches the devs come out with, I may go back, if not I'll wait and see what COV has to offer sometime in 2005.......

• Oph8Oph8 Member Posts: 177
    Notice.. How everyone is saying "it was easy for me to find a group" what do you think?

"Everything is mine and your woman too"

"Everything is mine and your woman too"

• Fallen_CaineFallen_Caine Member Posts: 37
    no

~FC

• AshenkharAshenkhar Member Posts: 61

It is very easy to find a group in this game.  I have never sat around for more than 5 minutes when I wanted in on a team.

Generally I get tells from my SG for teams as soon as I get on.